• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I'm just going to say this, the whole thing about the Demon's Souls trailer in the show is weird because none of the other games in that trailer had that text, but at the same time it makes no sense to release it on another console (PC makes sense though) even later because it opens up a whole can of worms.

Also not to mention that it's one hell of a mistake regardless but eh

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
I was really interested in Death Stranding until I saw the $60 price tag. And $50 for Horizon? Still?

Sony, you can keep your pc ports. No thanks.

Last edited:

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
If you want Sony exclusives on a continuous base instead of a whenever we feel like it, the only product you can buy involves the word PlayStation.
you losing faith is the plan.

sony wants you on ps5. they'll put some things on pc but only after the playstation version has been out the door for a long time and the game was successful. if they commit to PC they'll have the perception problem of "why do i even need the console when everything is coming to PC".

I'm not sure it works like this. I don't see PC players switching to consoles for a couple of games. They might buy a PS5 and some exclusives eventually, but not PS Plus, COD, FIFA and GTA.

The Horizon port made me very patient. I'm not buying a PS5 until about the end of the gen. When/If I do, I will just sell or donate it after beating the backlog of exclusives.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm just going to say this, the whole thing about the Demon's Souls trailer in the show is weird because none of the other games in that trailer had that text, but at the same time it makes no sense to release it on another console (PC makes sense though) even later because it opens up a whole can of worms.

Also not to mention that it's one hell of a mistake regardless but eh
I forgot about that. It makes so much sense to put the game on PC after a year or so.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I think the PC ports were always going to be stingy, the majority of the games people want to play will probably never come to PC. And at very best, stuff will come years after release. HZD was an easy pick because it's on the same engine as a game that was already coming to PC. Was a bit silly to trust Sony on this in the first place.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure it works like this. I don't see PC players switching to consoles for a couple of games. They might buy a PS5 and some exclusives eventually, but not PS Plus, COD, FIFA and GTA.

The Horizon port made me very patient. I'm not buying a PS5 until about the end of the gen. When/If I do, I will just sell or donate it after beating the backlog of exclusives.
It is about getting you in the ecosystem for a bit, and then get you hooked a bit more.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's no strategy.

Most likely Hideo Kojima wanted to use a multi-platform engine for his game, Guerilla games said they could do it with their engine. Guerilla also suggested porting Horizon to PC.

Dec 10, 2020
Warsaw
I think it's because, well, PCs are not their priority (which is 100% understandable). Also, they may not want to be in the same situation as Microsoft, where players use to say "hey, it's not an exclusive title!" just because the game is also available on PC.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
200.gif

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
For 50 million you could port like every major Sony exclusive.

I think you're underestimating the costs (or the amount of major exclusives). My friend works are at indie studio and it took them £500k to port one small indie game from PC to xbox and that game was order of magnitudes less complex than what Sony puts out.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
You're going to wait years to play a bunch of overpriced old games. Honestly, just buy a second hand PS4 and play whatever you want for half the price or even less, most of the old games are very cheap right now

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Sony would have easy, additional revenue stream from PC ports, but I don't expect them to go there. Most likely they will aim to offer same content via services like PSNow, and possibly allow some ports now and then.

MrCinos

Oct 26, 2017
There's no strategy.

Most likely Hideo Kojima wanted to use a multi-platform engine for his game, Guerilla games said they could do it with their engine. Guerilla also suggested porting Horizon to PC.
Don't think it works this way when with the other games like GoW whose lead dev/director (don't remember his title) was all for pc port resulted in negative (at that point) answer for him. Suggestions and desire of devs don't matter much for stuff like that.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan

50M isn't a lot if they're serious about porting over a lot of their major titles. And even then, it isn't specifically allocated to porting games developed by first party studios. In addition to Horizon, Sony also published Predator and ReadySet Heroes for PC in 2020. Perhaps they'll port over other games from first party studios this year, but there will likely also be Sony published third-party titles.
Well i don't know how much is a lot exactly when it comes to porting games but clearly its not a small amount with respect to that but even if its not greatly much it is just the starting investment amount. They won't go all in on the porting scheme but stay light st the start until it starts making them quite a bit of profit. Either way it shows that Sony has and is investing in making PC ports for the future and not like it ain't happening like some people here have suggested.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The engine being the sole reason is just one of the excuses some people give until they find another reason to deny stuff honestly. While not a lot of PS4-PS5 games will come to PC in the future quite a few of them will eventually come. There were excuses before Death stranding was announced for PC, same with NiOh or any game that Sony funded game that they published in the past. Let me just say this...they're not investing 50m in the playstation PC Port business for nothinhg.

These things take time thanks to COVID and PS5 being Sony's focus ATM but its an eventuality at this point. Sony just like any other corporation loves money which is there to be made on the PC market since its not a direct competitor for Playstation. Iam personally just waiting for these titles to start coming in to PC before saying anything further because its useless and these sort of discussions just end up being fruitless.

I'm pretty sure based on the wording that $50M is how much they expect to make out of it in revenue, not how much they invest in it (which is likely significantly lower as Sony had not shown signs of aggressive loss leader strategy for hitting set forecasts), that is nothing. Its essentially selling 1M copies between stuff like Horizon, predator, possibly also including royalties from death stranding and Quantic Dream PC ports.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
You're going to wait years to play a bunch of overpriced old games. Honestly, just buy a second hand PS4 and play whatever you want for half the price or even less, most of the old games are very cheap right now
It isn't merely getting to play the games, it's to enjoy the unique features that come with PC on those games. I've rebought a ton of games on PC for that reason despite having played them on console.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, these things only take a few clicks to get done, even with covid it's weird that it's taking so long for more ports to arrive.

Yes, this is sarcasm.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
I'm pretty sure based on the wording that $50M is how much they expect to make out of it in revenue, not how much they invest in it (which is likely significantly lower as Sony had not shown signs of aggressive loss leader strategy for hitting set forecasts), that is nothing. Its essentially selling 1M copies between stuff like Horizon, predator, possibly also including royalties from death stranding and Quantic Dream PC ports.
No, they're not talking about revenue there

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Sony is never going to commit on PC, they want people on Ps5 and they want you to buy games from the PSN, sub to PS+ and spend money on digital stuff.

You might see some games on PC down the line but only after several years or if they are MP focused like the Predator game but don't expect a lot in the first place.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe the 50 million is down to starting their own store. I mean ppl will loosing their shit no matter how bad or good it would be. I personally hope they go for a pc store.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Of course you would hope for that.

Why wouldnt I with the crossbuy potential and I prefer trophies over steam archivements.I mean would it be bad if they are srsly trying to do a good psn launcher. I know some ppl hate everything not made by valve tho so the question is retoric. Dont ansewer pls.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Why wouldnt I with the crossbuy potential and I prefer trophies over steam archivements.I mean would it be bad if they are srsly trying to do a good psn launcher. I know some ppl hate everything not made by valve tho so the question is retoric. Dont ansewer pls.

You would prefer it for brand loyalty, that's all. You're one of those persons who got upset when there were talks about exclusives not being exclusives. So it all comes down to the brand loyalty.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You would prefer it for brand loyalty, that's all. You're one of those persons who got upset when there were talks about exclusives not being exclusives. So it all comes down to the brand loyalty.

Good to know you know my whole reasoning. But if we argue like that. You whole reasoning against any launcher is brand loyalty as well.

And iam on pc again since last month But I really dislike using stream. I haven't used it since 2016 and imo the new interface is way worse than the old one but yea telling this someone who is defending valve no matter what? It's no use.

Btw. Iam on gamepass too on pc. Iam using it because iam so much biased towards sony.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it was ever an initiative or 'strategy'. They wanted to double down on revenue of specific games. The idea that most or all of their first parties would be coming was always a pipe dream. They want PC consumers to taste some of their games, with the vision that they'll buy their hardware to play more.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
As far as I'm aware, there is no "strategy" for you to lose faith in. They may port some more games to PC in the future; they may not. You should expect nothing really, though.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Good to know you know my whole reasoning. But if we argue like that. You whole reasoning against any launcher is brand loyalty as well.

And iam on pc again since last month But I really dislike using stream. I haven't used it since 2016 and imo the new interface is way worse than the old one but yea telling this someone who is defending valve no matter what? It's no use.

Btw. Iam on gamepass too on pc. Iam using it because iam so much biased towards sony.

Once you find a post about me having a meltdown because more people can play a game, then yeah, you can say that.

But for now I'm not the one arguing about "pls sony have your own launcher with exclusives".

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Once you find a post about me having a meltdown because more people can play a game, then yeah, you can say that.

But for now I'm not the one arguing about "pls sony have your own launcher with exclusives".

Did I say make a launcher and make it exclusives. Oh boy putting words in my mouth and doing like no opinion can ever change while discrediting others. I heared enough totally not biased guy:p

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
There was no "strategy" in the first place...
As far as I'm aware, there is no "strategy" for you to lose faith in. They may port some more games to PC in the future; they may not. You should expect nothing really, though.

Lind of the impression I got as well. Like, correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't they always up front about only porting select older catalogue titles?

People kind of preemptively set their own expectations to high based on it.

Oct 27, 2017
Lind of the impression I got as well. Like, correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't they always up front about only porting select older catalogue titles?

People kind of preemptively set their own expectations to high based on it.
They didn't say even that, just that they were going to "explore the possibility" of porting their games to PC. Whatever plan or strategy they might or might nor have isn't public.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
They want PC consumers to taste some of their games, with the vision that they'll buy their hardware to play more.
I always thought this viewpoint was incredibly naive. "Wow, Horizon is so amazing I'm just going to buy a whole new console and change how I live my entertainment life".

They did it to earn some scratch. It wasn't part of some grand strategy to indoctrinate PC gamers into buying PS5s. Their games are good. They're not that good.

People who believe that was the strategy are deluded. And if it's truly their plan, then Sony are the deluded ones.

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020

that's only 1 perspective. if PC is and has always been your main gaming hardware then you skipped out on ps2, ps3, ps4 exclusives. you're not likely to pick up a ps5 if you skipped their prior consoles.

but what about me? i had a ps3 and ps4 and exclusives were the main differentiator for me. if there was a firm and public commitment to every playstation game being ported to PC would i pick up a ps5 over building a PC? ...maybe not. heck, probably not because PC has its own exclusives and ms is putting all their games on PC which is a lot of games.

sony has nothing to gain and lots to lose by making a firm commitment to PC. i do think they'll port more games to PC because there is a lot of money to be made. ...but they'll be late, not announced until the last minute, and only a portion of playstion's "exclusives" to protect their investment in playstation.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I always thought this viewpoint was incredibly naive. "Wow, Horizon is so amazing I'm just going to buy a whole new console and change how I live my entertainment life".

They did it to earn some scratch. It wasn't part of some grand strategy to indoctrinate PC gamers into buying PS5s. Their games are good. They're not that good.

People who believe that was the strategy are deluded. And if it's truly their plan, then Sony are the deluded ones.
Agreed 100%. I'm definitely in the category of "I'll play Sony games if they come to PC but I have no interest in a console."

Magnet

Oct 29, 2017

"Change how I live my entertainment life"? "Indoctrinate"? It's a videogame console. They can make a bunch of money on ports and also try to make new fans of franchises to encourage some people to buy PS5s. There's nothing delusional about that.

OP
OP
Dec 15, 2017

My thoughts exactly. I guess we have to keep waiting for upcoming announcements. But I don't think they understand the audience they are trying to reach. It's an untapped market to them so theres a lot to learn from their side.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017

It doesn't make any sense and acts as if after 20+ years Sony suddenly discovered that there is a PC market.
It also alleges that there is a considerable amount of gamers who only don't own a PS4/5 because they have no idea what a PS4/5 is or what games it has, but at the same time will shell out full price to play one of these games.
This might have made some sense 20+ years ago when people went into a store and bought a game based on it's cover, but not in the age of the internet where you can not only inform yourself instantaneously but even watch the entire game from start to finish.