• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Why is this something you'd need to "trust" in the first place? They'll release games for PC or they won't, and you can buy them or not.

They announced last year that this wasn't going to become the defacto policy for every game they released going forward, so you just wait and see what comes down the pike.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
another thread where the poster doesnt realize everything is connected to covid.

Last edited:

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing happens in a vacuum... Take Bloodborne:

It may get a PC release, but currently it's on the PS+ Collection, adding value to the PS5, because the pandemic has slowed development of next-gen games. So they're not going to okay a BB PC release right now, because that just gives the core of their games division - the PS brand - less value in the short term.

tl;dr: "These things take time".

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
They'll do it if the cards line up right. But it never was a main focus for them.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Sony's PC business is complimentary to their home console business, their PC ports are designed to incentives PC gamers to acquire a PlayStation system.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I am a little surprised The Show isn't coming to PC, though that may be a case of SSD wanting to get the Xbox version right before expanding to other platforms.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never had faith they would release much at all, I feel like they only released Horizon because the Decima engine was already working on PC thanks the Death Stranding, I really don't see them going out of their way to make PC. They just don't care and want to sell consoles, I'd love to be proven wrong.

Oct 30, 2017
Their top priority should be getting games out on a decent schedule to continue to grow their immediate user base.

In terms of sheer priorities, this ain't it.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Just read the Horizon port thread from the start and ask yourself if speed is of the essence.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
If you were expecting to play a bunch of sony games (lul bloodborne) on PC, you're going have a bad time

Oct 27, 2017
All they said was "explore the possibility", that's as non-committal as you can get without outright saying "maybe we will, maybe we won't". They didn't say they were going to port all their games or some of their games, just "explore the possibility".
This is what Hermen said when they announced Horizon for PC.
And to maybe put a few minds at ease, releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn't necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC. In my mind, Horizon Zero Dawn was just a great fit in this particular instance. We don't have plans for day and date [PC releases], and we remain 100% committed to dedicated hardware.
blog.playstation.com

Hermen Hulst Q&A: Interview with Head of PlayStation’s Worldwide Studios

What's next for Guerrilla, upcoming TV and film projects, and the guiding principles that drive PlayStation’s network of world-class game studios.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Horizon on PC was a good PC market and tech test for PlayStation, but their main purpose was to entice you into getting a PS4/PS5 to play its sequel.
This theory doesn't even make that much sense. The game is still (far?) away, we only have a trailer. By this logic, God of War would have been ported as well. It's by far the bigger game and the sequel is also announced for 2021 (of course it's not coming 2021 ...).

Releasing Horizon at the time and in the state they did felt random and didn't go very well. For now, I am not expecting much more PS4/5 games on PC. Rather some random release here and there, but no general release politics like 6 months after the PS launch or so.

Dec 2, 2020
I figured Horizon was ported because Death Stranding got a PC port and used the same engine, so the cost would be lower. I'm not holding my breath on something like God of War showing up on PC

This. I wouldn't expect any of the more cinematic AAA PS4 games ported to PC just because they ported one of them because much of the engine work had already been done because of DS. PS4 games at 60fps are also a selling point for PS5.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
But they did release Predator Hunting Grounds on PC. Isn't that proof of their commitment ?

Oct 29, 2017
UK
You expected it???

Horizon seemed to only happen as Death Stranding did and they both share an engine. It seemed like a nice treading of water, not an indication of PS4 exclusives.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, more PC ports from Sony would be nice, but expecting it on any regularity at this point seems overly optimistic. This really feels like their was/is a internal corporate champion(s) with enough pull to make Horizon happen, but if they leave or lose said pull the internet will years from now be talking about that weird time Sony ported one or two of their big games to the PC.

With that said we are all just talking out of our asses, myself included. Almost all of the "that will never happen" posts probably said the same thing about an Horizon PC port not that long ago.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
You expected it???

Horizon seemed to only happen as Death Stranding did and they both share an engine. It seemed like a nice treading of water, not an indication of PS4 exclusives.

so days gone is coming to pc too because its on unreal 4, sick

lmao, engine has nothing to do with Horizon releasing on PC.. especially consideirngit was outsourced for HZD and DS was in a far better technical state.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
It honestly wouldn't surprise me if they just talked like that to make shareholders happy and shut up. It also wouldn't surprise me if they just keep porting their b-tier games like Helldivers or multiplayer focused games like Predator.

I doubt they would do it like Microsoft and port every game they have. Even years after they came out.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
Are port beggin threads not allowed here? If you are a PC only gamer yo know that you need patience for game ports.

Oct 27, 2017
There's zero chance that this would ever bring over any notable number of people, so nah.
Yeah, I really don't think they bankrolled a port, one they seemed to have spent more time than they would've liked fixing, just so PC only gamers would buy a PS4 or PS5 since the game is cross gen. I would've thought a more reasonable and cheaper approach to that goal would be giving the game away on PS+ or the PS+ Collection.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
They should really really port ps3 games first before anything. 3 platforms, ps4, ps5 and pc, bring back those classics like resistance 3 and infamous games that have never left the platform and no BC option

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know that there was ever a consistent strategy laid out? Also they just released a new console so I'd imagine they wouldn't want to take the focus away from that...either way, it's too early to make a call on their "strategy" lol.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think calling it a 'ports strategy' is perhaps overselling it. They put some of their games out on PC. They tried day one PC releases with Predator. Tried a big AAA release with Horizon.

I don't think they ever promised what else was to come or that they had some huge strategy for the PC market.

Oct 27, 2017
If you care about those Sony IP and games to the extent that you're banging the door down after 6 months for an explanation of where the games are, then you should just buy a PS5.

The PS5 remains the focus and PC will be a secondary consideration. That won't change. For many PC gamers who are willing to wait, that should be absolutely fine.

Put simply, either buy a PS5 or learn some patience.

Oct 27, 2017
While Covid has likely affected it, I don't think it is wise to think Sony will port the majority or even half of their exclusive catalog to pc. I'm sure it will get some, but they want to sell PlayStations too and software on their platforms for greater profit margins. Xbox of course makes their games for PC often too, tho I would believe PS sells a lot more copies of their biggest first party games at full price. I mean Miles Morales already did 4.1M in 45 days, and I imagine will clear 7-8M, maybe 10M by the end of 2021.

I think 1-2 per year with the games being 3-4 years old is the most we should expect. Largely tho if you want to play PS exclusives in a timely manner you will have to do so on a PlayStation unless something changes

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
What strategy?

We have one data point to look at here, and nothing else. Either the strategy is their support of PC will continue to be limited at best going forward, or they haven't actually moved forward with their PC plans in earnest at this point (And when that will be and in what form, who knows, because Sony has never said what it will look like).

If people saw the Horizon announcement and thought, "Wow! In 6 months I'll be playing all the PS4 exclusives on PC!" I don't know what to tell you.

Oct 25, 2017
There was never a stated PC strategy, if anything what was said was Horizon was a chance to show PC players what they could expect from PlayStation. As in release Horizon on PC so more people would buy Horizon 2 on PS5.

Wouldn't be surprised if they do it again to line up with another game getting a sequel. But doesn't seem like they're committed to releasing on PC as a standard.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I figured Horizon was ported because Death Stranding got a PC port and used the same engine, so the cost would be lower. I'm not holding my breath on something like God of War showing up on PC
Horizon on PC was a good PC market and tech test for PlayStation, but their main purpose was to entice you into getting a PS4/PS5 to play its sequel.

Their Decima engine built in collab with Kojima is probably the first in-house engine that has good PC support (since Death Stranding was a timed PS4 exclusive, with a PC version released later) and they wanted to test it with Horizon.
Horizon seemed to only happen as Death Stranding did and they both share an engine.
People love to bring up this 'same engine' talk for Horizon, since the engine is already "on PC" due to Death Stranding. Days Gone and Bloodborne engines are also on PC so where are they? I believe they chose Horizon for a reason but I don't think the engine was the main reason. Surely Days Gone would have been the first since it's on UE4?

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Sony's strategy is probably to port their older games to drum up hype for their sequels exclusively launching on ps5. For example, I wouldn't be overly shocked if GoW was ported just before or after the sequel comes out.

Sep 2, 2020
In a recent episode of Triple Click, Jason, Kirk, and Maddy gave predictions about what would happen in gaming in 2021, and specified that they couldn't make predictions based on any insider/actual knowledge. At some point during the episode, I want to say Jason said something along the lines of "you'll notice I haven't made any predictions regarding Sony games coming to PC," which leads me to believe we may hear more news on PC ports this year.
I also could just be reading into things way too much!

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Horizon was a market tester yes, but I can guarantee that the rest of their PC plans are on hold right now not only because of Covid but because they want people to buy into the PS5. If I had to guess, later this year we'll get an announcement of God of War coming to PC before GOW5 comes out exclusively on PS5.

They've shown they're open to the practically free money of bringing games to PC, and PS4 hardware is very similar to PC hardware, so it really will be only a matter of time

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a case of overinflated expectations. Plenty of people were warning others to keep them check(and of course they didn't). This "strategy" was never going to see more than select last gen games and the odd special circumstance release coming to PC.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Are people expecting Sony to put all their games on PC (or even the vast majority) while a console is still current?

Who would buy a PS5 when you could play Series and PS5 exclusive games on PC?

Expect more PS4 games to hit PC in the coming months/years, but don't expect games to hit PC less than a year or two after Sony's made their money on their own platforms.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't even think about it. I'm too busy playing stuff that's a reality.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Your error was in thinking there was a PC strategy.

Big mistake.

You'll get thrown a bone here or there but they want you on a PS in the PS ecosystem.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Horizon was a market tester yes, but I can guarantee that the rest of their PC plans are on hold right now not only because of Covid but because they want people to buy into the PS5. If I had to guess, later this year we'll get an announcement of God of War coming to PC before GOW5 comes out exclusively on PS5.

They've shown they're open to the practically free money of bringing games to PC, and PS4 hardware is very similar to PC hardware, so it really will be only a matter of time
Exactly Priority is PS5 right now and because their model is currently working well, PC ports are a secondary source of revenue only right now. Don't expect that to change however once the ports do start and without any issues like horizon faced, expect some games which have potential to sell a lot, to be ported to PC after a year or two.

Your error was in thinking there was a PC strategy.

Big mistake.

You'll get thrown a bone here or there but they want you on a PS in the PS ecosystem.
They've invested 50M in a playstation PC business for ports, so there is a business model surrounding it from sony at the very least. There's already a thread on it if you wanna check the the source of it.

Last edited:

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just felt like venting this out. As a PC only gamer I got really excited when last March Horizon Zero Dawn was announced for the PC. Pre-ordered the game as soon as it was available. And whole the game was a clusterfuck at release, Guerilla took the time to fix it with several patches released, this is not always the case with PC games.

Then we also saw constant mentions even of sony financial statements that they will continue exploring the possibility of new games on PC.

And... nothing else. Have they canned this initiative just like ps2 games on ps4, PSTV, PS Vita, PS3 BC and more?

I know that new consoles have just been released but I think that if we don't hear anything about new PC ports in the upcoming months (Bloodborne, Dreams, God of war) HZD PC may have been just a one off.

Why not just sell your PC and go buy a PS4

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony isn't Microsoft. The fact that they are entertaining PC releases for their titles AT ALL is a pretty major step for them. You're never going to get those first-party releases day 1 on PC, that was never going to be in the cards. They're still very much a console-focused company and given how well they are doing there? You'll get ports here and there but I don't know why you would expect them to have some big initiative to port all their games to PC.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Lol, games like God of War, Bloodborne, etc. are never coming to PC. You might get dreams someday though
To be fair, we all said the same thing about the rest of their games including Horizon Zero Dawn, and then out of nowhere it was ported to PC. Sony opened up this can of worms with regards to semi reasonable expectations of an eventual port