• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
I reached the Venice like town.. Its a minor annoyance but its also jarring. Nobody I know talks like that and it comes off a bit stereotypical tbh. Been playing with Japanese va. Definitely don't wanna hear how it sounds in English when it comes to seeing how they voice those accent lines. Appears they talk normally in the Japanese version.

I think I remember this from DQ IV.

Other than that.. game is great.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm an Italian guy and I loved Gondolia. A bit stereotypical yeah, but somewhat relatable as it's the on the level of broken English many of the older folks in my family speak (my family is probably worse though tbh). At least they didn't turn it into a mafia thing.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm french and I don't mind the stereotypical way they use the accent in DQ, it gives some charme and help differentiate the regions. I just reached a place where a character has a southern US accent and it's hilarious.
I also love the english dub, it's as good as it was for DQVIII. More british voice actors in gaming, please.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Cor blimey, guv. Maybe yer th' one wiv an accent, ye ever fink ovvat? Talk proper, innit!

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
I have one of the accents they use and I love it.
Super charming.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sylvando and his dad are supposed to be spanish or something and they are ok in my book. The late DQ stereotyping seems in good fun to me.

Mr Pricklefingers

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 4, 2017
I couldn't figure out what accent the guy with the blue hair was going for. Was it a British VA attempting an American accent, on vice versa?

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
I really like the accents for the most part. The only one that really bothered me was DQIV's "Russian" accent, which (especially without voice acting) read more like very broken English than anything, like it was a country that didn't know how to form actual sentences.

carda114

Oct 28, 2017
I couldn't figure out what accent the guy with the blue hair was going for. Was it a British VA attempting an American accent, on vice versa?

Bit of a spoiler.
Erick formerly belonged to a group of Vikings, who he doesn't want to associate with anymore, but a bit of a Scandinavian accent seems to be slipping in.
That's what I read anyway.

DQ has the best voice acting in all of JRPGS. Only FFXII is up there. Not a single weird and awkward grunt and gasp in sight that plauges the genre. The woman charatchers also aren't cringy. I have so much respect for this franchise after getting into it. It may be goat purely off the localization alone ngl.

Zen_Master

Nov 15, 2020
Most sounded OK to me but Veronica was grating. Audio wise, my biggest complaint was in the music department - for one the overall lack of variety (not helping either was that I played the OG version with the midi tracks).

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The accents in DQ are one of my favourite things about it. Gives places character. 1million percent better than the bland accents we get in games.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ECnWNFHUwAETIHk

The accents aren't just fine, they're amazing.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
The accents, while exaggerated, made familial bonds in the game feel closer, when towns and families have the same manner of speech and you can tell exactly who is tied to where.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I really like the accents for the most part. The only one that really bothered me was DQIV's "Russian" accent, which (especially without voice acting) read more like very broken English than anything, like it was a country that didn't know how to form actual sentences.

But i love Alena in DQH "Now I am becoming serious!" is the best line every time she says it. But yeah, why is the russian accent not like, an accent as much as being bad at english.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I loved Gemma's South-West England accent too, generally I've enjoyed the regional U.K. accents a lot over the years in Dragon Quest.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yeah the voice acting is very bad. Some really grading accents. I only played the demo but if I play the full game it'll be with Japanese VA, something I basically only do with Yakuza.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
As a russian i actually loved russian accents in DQ games (especially in DQ Heroes) lol
A6AAFA7D070D97573E879BCB7FABDD4BCCE18A26

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think they're really charming, and I'm glad they got voice actors for the Puerto Valor people that actually know how to pronounce Spanish properly.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I love them. By the way, I play Dragon Quest on spanish, both because the localization are awesome, and because even if I like accents on my translated Dragon Quest, as non-native english speaker they are difficult to follow in the english translation.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I'm on team "love it", the accents and voice acting are fantastic. 10/10 localization, doesn't get enough praise as far as I'm concerned.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I generally like it when games are willing to use different types of accents. It adds a bit of variety and flavour, and it usually also means they aren't using the usual popular voice actors that are in every other game. I really like how DQ11 used accents specifically too. It contributed to the world building, and characterisation, and was even used to foreshadow a little bit. I believe Xenoblade 2 did something similar, where characters' accents were dictated by what Titan they were from, or if they were a Blade or not.

I do have to say though, that in some of the Dragon Quest games without voice acting, the accents were sometimes a detriment for me. Seeing dialects spelled out phonetically became a pretty steep barrier at times, and so I strongly advise against the practice if it's not accompanied by VO. It's OK if you lose a little clarity when you're trying to add in some flavour, but it shouldn't come at the expense of how easy your script is to read.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I do have to say though, that in some of the Dragon Quest games without voice acting, the accents were sometimes a detriment for me. Seeing dialects spelled out phonetically became a pretty steep barrier at times, and so I strongly advise against the practice if it's not accompanied by VO. It's OK if you lose a little clarity when you're trying to add in some flavour, but it shouldn't come at the expense of how easy your script is to read.
Yeah, VO is a huge help in that regard.

Not all of it has to be voiced, but yeah it can be a bit much if none of it is voiced...

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Anyone wanna answer a quick easy Q?

I wanna play this game, but I want a dirt easy mode because I really don't have the time/patience to sit with a 100 hour game... I just want something fun, and I actually love DQ's brand of fun.....but not the grinding. x(

Does it have said easy m0de?

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I love them in the 3D games when they are voiced, they add so much charm and actually give each place a unique feel.

In the 2d games they are annoying as fuck.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I love Erik's three-different-accents-blended-into-one approach.

It's charming!

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017

I wanna play this game, but I want a dirt easy mode because I really don't have the time/patience to sit with a 100 hour game... I just want something fun, and I actually love DQ's brand of fun.....but not the grinding. x(

Game is pretty easy already, i don't think you ever really need to grind and tbh 99% of all regular battles end in one or two turns.

Personally i finished the whole thing, without going into extra bosses, in i think 92 hours and never grinded.

fushi

Oct 26, 2017

Depending on your playstyle the only difficult part is the beginning. It becomes a cakewalk after the initial 5-10 hours. That, and you can speed up and automate the combat in a myriad of ways.

OP
OP
hwarang

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017

Game is easy already enough as is. I don't think you'll have trouble with it.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
They're actually my favorite part of the game. So charming and such great work by the localization team.

Oct 25, 2017
I totally get the complaint, but I loved it. For a game like this, it only adds to the flavor of the world. And while the written accents can be a real chore to read sometimes, I still appreciate what it adds to the characters.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Yeah the voice acting is very bad. Some really grading accents. I only played the demo but if I play the full game it'll be with Japanese VA, something I basically only do with Yakuza.

I have not read this opinion much. I think the voice acting is fantastic and among the best of jrpgs.