• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Expect better fps and resolutions on cross gen games these first 2 years and probably one sony exclusive a year.
It's what Im braced for.

Source-my cynical ass

Oct 25, 2017
We got another stellar Bluepoint remake and an excellent Spider-Man game; and even a really great remaster of the original Spider-Man at launch.

Even if it's crossgen does Hitman 3 not look incredible and play great at 60fps?

Y'all just don't like good things lmao but you also didn't need to spend the money if you were waiting for AAAAs only you should have known what you were getting into.

Like we're months away from a PS5 Ratchet and Clank. Acting like this is the same as the PS4 launch, sorry you feel that way.

maybe... *maybe* we like different things? That used to be provided? Dunno crazy idea that what you like might not be what others like :)

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Most games have felt underwhelming to me since I had my first VR experience. I was at my buddy's house and he had a roomscale setup with an oculus and two controllers. He popped me into a game called Lone Echo, and I thought "yeah, cool, it's 3D and all around me", but then I looked down and saw my arms, and they were robot arms. The fingers moved when I moved them, and the mechanical bits beneath the surface pulled and stretched as I held my arms out. That's when I lost my shit. I was a fucking robot inside of a video game.

My friend says he barely uses his headset these days, so I dunno if the magic wears off over time, or if there just aren't enough games yet, but man... ever since then I've been holding out for a PSVR2, or something. That jump into VR was drastic and thrilling, and that's how I want games to feel again.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
It's been like when I upgrade my computer or phone..

Fun the first few days, but then kinda meh :P So yeah, I agree.. it's been a slow start.. but it'll get there at some point.

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
There still hasn't been a Playstation 5 exclusive released that I'm very interested in, and those exclusives are the only things that push me towards purchasing a console.

I'm kinda curious about "Kena: Bridge of Sprits", and "Final Fantasy XVI" but that's about it.

I'm sure there'll be more down the line, but it's definitely still lacking for me.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I'll await judgement until some heavy hitters come out for PS5 and only PS5 (I am not in the Xbox Ecosystem). If the games suck then I'll say so but until then, not 3 and a bit months in, during a GLOBAL Pandemic, I'll hold passing judgeypoos.

Oct 27, 2017
Covid threw a spanner in the works for a lot of things, so the big guns are still not out. Hell, even 2021 is just a bad sequel to 2020.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Most games have felt underwhelming to me since I had my first VR experience. I was at my buddy's house and he had a roomscale setup with an oculus and two controllers. He popped me into a game called Lone Echo, and I thought "yeah, cool, it's 3D and all around me", but then I looked down and saw my arms, and they were robot arms. The fingers moved when I moved them, and the mechanical bits beneath the surface pulled and stretched as I held my arms out. That's when I lost my shit. I was a fucking robot inside of a video game.

My friend says he barely uses his headset these days, so I dunno if the magic wears off over time, or if there just aren't enough games yet, but man... ever since then I've been holding out for a PSVR2, or something. That jump into VR was drastic and thrilling, and that's how I want games to feel again.
The main problem with VR is full meaty games. For every Lone Echo or Half Life Alyx there are twenty low budget games that are either too short or lack real depth that keeps someone coming back. See if your buddy will lend you his headset (and computer if you need one lol) so you can play Half Life. It's worth owning a headset or trying to borrow someone's.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I think this feeling is going to spread. People keep saying it happens every gen but it doesnt first of all... And its not the same. Earlier gens for obvious reasons (move to 3d) didn't have this feeling much if any at all....

And the feeling was blunted before because there weren't mid gen hardware upgrades.

But now you get a Mid Gen hardware boost from consoles that resell stronger version of the same HW giving you res and framerate boosts; so of course when the next hardware hits and that's compounded with the already diminishing returns of better fidelity there's going to be this feeling. This is of course on top of the slowing of blockbuster generation defining releases. No longer getting 3 GTA's, 3 Final Fantasy's, 2 Gran Turismos, 2 Halos, 2+ Resident Evils etc etc. Now we are lucky to get 1 per gen. Toss in a few of them ending up being cross gen for userbase reasons/reach and... PC ports of big titles....

I dunno, I expect this feeling to persist more than ever. Its probably the reason for all the acquisitions. Selling me hardware is only going to get harder as things move this way.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Miles' Raytracing, Demon's Souls' visuals and Astro's use of the dual sense were enough to leave me pleased with the generation already.

I think it's been off to a better start than the PS4. The first few months of PS4 I was playing Killzone (visually impressive), the Tomb Raider remaster and a bunch of Indie games.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
Launch window games rarely move the needle. That's why I didn't bother to pre-order or jump in line.

Not since Halo CE has a launch game justified a console purchase for me. It was Mario 64 before that.
Soul Calibur on Dreamcast was a sight to behold for its time and reviewed quite well. Switch had BotW which is one of the best games released and has reviewed incredibly well. Wii had Wii Sports which was a system seller by itself. I guess for me, there is no holy grail title for either console at this point that isn't a remake or cross gen title.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I think this feeling is going to spread. People keep saying it happens every gen but it doesnt first of all... And its not the same. Earlier gens for obvious reasons (move to 3d) didn't have this feeling much if any at all....

And the feeling was blunted before because there weren't mid gen hardware upgrades.

But now you get a Mid Gen hardware boost from consoles that resell stronger version of the same HW giving you res and framerate boosts; so of course when the next hardware hits and that's compounded with the already diminishing returns of better fidelity there's going to be this feeling. This is of course on top of the slowing of blockbuster generation defining releases. No longer getting 3 GTA's, 3 Final Fantasy's, 2 Gran Turismos, 2 Halos, 2+ Resident Evils etc etc. Now we are lucky to get 1 per gen. Toss in a few of them ending up being cross gen for userbase reasons/reach and... PC ports of big titles....

I dunno, I expect this feeling to persist more than ever. Its probably the reason for all the acquisitions. Selling me hardware is only going to get harder as things move this way.
Are we ignoring a pandemic?

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Soul Calibur on Dreamcast was a sight to behold for its time and reviewed quite well. Switch had BotW which is one of the best games released and has reviewed incredibly well. Wii had Wii Sports which was a system seller by itself. I guess for me, there is no holy grail title for either console at this point that isn't a remake or cross gen title.

It would probably be a good idea to realize that being a remake or cross gen title doesn't matter.

Also BotW was cross gen.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Are we ignoring a pandemic?

You want to elaborate? Which part of my post becomes untrue in recent generations prior to Covid? The pandemic only amplifies the issues, it did not create them. Unless I am mistaken we have not gotten 3 mainline final fantasy releases with all new casts/assets + a Spinoff like Tactics since the PS1. The release rate of big tent titles has slowed in the last 25 years period, Covid or no Covid.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

I guess I'm more or less talking about launch games that takes advantages of the new hardware such that it "validates" early ownership. These types of launch games are rare.

Soul Caliber clearly didn't do that for DreamCast given few people cared to own that system- thats a tall order for a fighting game.

BotW was a wiiu game,

Wii sports does fit the bill, admittedly i forgot to mention it.

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So am I. It was kinda obvious the graphical jump would be small since the marketing was all about the CPU and SSD, but right now my PS5 is a glorified PS4 Pro. And even though my PC isn't as powerful, it runs most games better because I don't have to wait/hope for a patch.

Last time a console launched it had the game of the generation, so yeah, a tech demo that makes the controller go brrr isn't going to cut it.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. This generation sucks. The PS5 can barely justify its own existence at this point and the acquisition wars make it absolutely miserable to be a consumer in the industry.

Pretty much. Demon's Souls was good, but that's where my praise for the PS5 ends. It is a crossgen box at this point, which is definitely not what I bought it for. And with the daily reports of issues piling up for the PS5 you're left to wonder why Sony didn't just delay the thing. Sometimes competition isn't really a good thing when it's pushing companies to release undercooked products just so they don't fall behind their competitors.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
maybe... *maybe* we like different things? That used to be provided? Dunno crazy idea that what you like might not be what others like :)

Sounds like a lot of hand-waving to me. 4-5 months in. Like I didn't care about Breath of the Wild and even Mario Odyssey that much but I didn't act those weren't quality titles and hand-wave them away.

People just need to stop buying consoles until the games they want have landed, it's really not that hard lol and some people are waiting and good on them.

But if you have a narrow taste in games and are looking for AAAA JRPGs and are upset they aren't here at a certain point it's on you. If you need next gen experiences and only next gen experiences (whatever the hell that means) and not just good games you're gonna get frustrated.

Not saying these are your reasons but maybe this is where some of the general disconnect lies. But if you find yourself hand-waving and reducing everything because this reason or that reason, early adopting probably isn't for you.

Nov 13, 2017
The fact that you played Demon's Souls and weren't wow'd by the graphics is kind of bizarre to me. That is, by far, the greatest looking Souls game ever put out. I straight up did not believe the promo screenshots were real until I played it. My brain could not fathom a console game looking that good. The level of detail in each and every screen of that game is immense. You couldn't do that on a PS4 Pro.

I think the biggest leap this time around, so far, at least, is ray tracing and load times. Ray traced reflections aren't something the average person will see as big improvement, but I'm excited for where that will go in future games. No longer just having a weird shadow/half reflection on the side of a building in Spider Man makes the world feel that much more real to me.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
It's only been 4 months. We got a little less than 7 years left. Also not to mention the pandemic. It's a miracle we even got games like Spiderman MM and Demkn Souls at launch.

Compare this to last gen's first 4 months and I'd say it's off to a good start.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I have not touched my PS5 since I finished Miles in early December. I'm looking forward to ratchet though, but covid definitely did a number on my interest with these machines.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
I guess I'm more or less talking about launch games that takes advantages of the new hardware such that it "validates" early ownership. These types of launch games are rare.

Soul Caliber clearly didn't do that for DreamCast given few people cared to own that system- thats a tall order for a fighting game.

BotW was a wiiu game,

Wii sports does fit the bill, admittedly i forgot to mention it.
Soul Calibur hit 98 on metacritic and was absolutely a phenomenal game worth early adoption especially considering the high popularity of fighting games at the time.

www.resetera.com

i LOVED Soul Calibur on DC. But..Was it really that good? (10/10s) Or was it just the time and place?

And has it been surpassed? Imo, yes, by its sequel. SC2 was a better game in every way, so why was it not received anywhere near as well as SC1? Was SC1 really that good or was it just INCREDIBLE at the time (especially visually, coming from really horrible 3d the previous gen, to really nice...

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I'm fortunate in that I hadn't used Game Pass or the Xbox ecosystem last generation, so getting a Series X feels incredibly next gen to me. Going back to using my PS4 Pro feels like stepping into the past in a significant way, although load times and UI speed are definitely a part of that. I've also completed more games since launch than I did for all of 2020.

Even little things like buying old Original Xbox games and playing them with the visual enhancements feels extremely good. Started KOTOR again last night and it looks superb.

Yea, I feel absolutely happy with next-gen thus far.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
I'm in gaming bliss. PS5 has been amazing. I upgraded from a base PS4 so that could be a reason why I'm loving this gen so far.

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I got a PS4 and PS5 at launch and PS5 was a much better start in my opinion. I also have other platforms to fill in gaps or droughts which is nice. Gens aren't defined by their first year's anyway I think the potential is there for another very good gen from MS and Sony between just better balanced consoles to the talent utilizing them for games.

Apr 9, 2018
If, and I do mean if, there are any "next gen wow moments" to be had this time around, my guess is it'll be a game that incorporates real time ray traced reflections into its core gameplay design. Hall of mirrors, hide and seek, or some impressive shooter where reflections inform your tactics, something like that but probably far more creative than anything I can spit out right now!

The fast loading is great, and will likely improve cinematic games greatly with the ability to make quick scene changes, but other than that, it's likely going to be "similar gameplay design to before but prettier and smoother" and if that's enough to wow you then more power to you. I'm sure there'll be some computationally intensive games that take advantage of the new CPUs, but developers are doing a great job already of working around the limitations and faking impressive results(crowd simulations and the like) that I'm not sure they'll produce that "wow moment" for the end consumer(although I hope I'm proven wrong).

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I am enjoying it so far. Going between Dark Souls 3 on PC and Demon Souls PS5...there is proper gen difference in visuals there. I am surprised you singled out Res 8...nice assets there, but Demon Souls looks quitea decent step up from that for me. And as good as that looked, I think in some ways it is held back by the design of the original. If it was designed wholly for PS5 some of the levels would be much more grandious, as would the encounter set ups.

The main down side is I have already had a much buggier experience than I ever had with ps4

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, PS4/X1 were very underwhelming till 2016 outside of Bloodborne and a few other games. Since 2016, we had some of the best gaming years back to back till 2020. Absolutely packed years.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the only thing I played on my PS4 at launch was kllzone:shadowfall which was alright but nothing great. I don't remember there being anything else very compelling except Battlefield 4 which I purchased on PC.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
In my experience the most dramatic generational leap was 16-bit to 32-bit. Every generational leap after that has been more and more incremental, more subtle, and more of a refinement.

I personally haven't seen any PS5/Series X games that I think look better than The Last Of Us: Part 2 or Cyberpunk 2077 running on a PS4 Pro, in a holistic sense, not just increased resolution or improved framerate.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm enjoying it so far. I really like the PS5 and have been playing more than usual. The backwards compatibility obviously helps with that, but I generally find -- aside from a few obvious oversights -- the whole experience of using the system is much better than the PS4.

Besides, it's barely been, what, three months?

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's been 3 months, and the last four PlayStations had terrible launches too. But between MM, Demon's Souls, and DMC5SE, and stuff like R&C, Returnal and RE8 coming up, I would've killed to have this kind of line-up 20 years ago when the PS2 launched. And even more so for the PS3. Pee-yew, that shit was rank.

I managed from 2011 to 2018 without a console and mostly playing indies. I can't imagine being this impatient.

Last edited:

Dega

Oct 25, 2017
Im using my xsx more than any launch system i've ever bought thanks to game pass.