• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
We got another stellar Bluepoint remake and an excellent Spider-Man game; and even a really great remaster of the original Spider-Man at launch.

Even if it's crossgen does Hitman 3 not look incredible and play great at 60fps?

Y'all just don't like good things lmao but you also didn't need to spend the money if you were waiting for AAAAs only you should have known what you were getting into.

Like we're months away from a PS5 Ratchet and Clank. Acting like this is the same as the PS4 launch, sorry you feel that way.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting to see how stances have changed, because I remember before when a lot of people said backwards compatibility didn't matter. I don't buy new consoles to play old games was a pretty common comment.

Oct 31, 2017
There will be games that look great and will wow audiences this gen, but there is no getting away from diminishing returns in terms of graphics over time. Games going forward will need to find different ways of impressing people.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Yes, agreed. Half a year in the PS4 impressed me far more than PS5 has. However we have COVID to blame for much for it. But also, a big thing for me is the crossgen shit we have to deal with this gen. I would have thought we learnt last gen how bad it influences the scope of the end product, e.g., destiny, and the "we believe in generations" talk Sony did last year had me really hopeful, but alas, they were even worse this time.
Cross gen makes business sense for third party, but first party should lead the pack...

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I think with the greater focus on CPU power and AI, I think this gen once we are past the cross-gen titles will feel like a much bigger advancement than PS3->PS4. Because for me, PS4 gen certainly didn't feel like a gamechanger. It just looked better.

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
While I can't wait for true next gen experiences to arrive, I really think a lot of people are unappreciative and underestimate the amount of power it takes to run the same game at twice the framerates. It's true the games are the same, but I find playing through something like God of War at 60 frames mighty impressive. So even if this cross gen go on longer that usual, those enhancements and faster loading makes the consoles worth it for me.

Oct 25, 2017
whats with all the dismissive "its only just started" comments? im old like the OP too, and i agree, this gen sucks so far. the only great game ive enjoyed so far is astros on ps5 and the medium and its not like they were incredible or anything.

yeah, you may disagree, and thats fine, but previous gens had some great variety of games in launches.

dreamcast had an incredible launch. xbox had halo and gamecube had luigis mansion and a bunch of variety

xbox 360 had pgr3 and rr6 which hit me right where i like it. i even enjoyed pdz. ps3 i really liked motorstorm

forget about generations before that as you had one of the best games of all time mario 64 and heaps of incredible other games on playstation coming fast.

this gen, idc about superhero shit, or souls. so its slim pickings. xbox same, but i did enjoy the medium. but its sucked so far and i really doubt covid wouldve made much of a difference tbh. games take longer to make now so i doubt a substantial amount of games wouldve been ready regardless. last console launch sucked too but not as hard as this one.

TLDR its incredibly subjective because one mans treasure (spiderman, souls) is the next mans trash (mine) so if you enjoy it, great, legitimately happy for you!

for me, its sucks. im trying to pump myself up for ratchet but its not like ive ever even enjoyed a ratchet game before either.

Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
I think this thread would have been correct at the start of PS3 and PS4 also.

It takes 2-3 years to really see cool stuff

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
You know, this narrative that the next generation does not really truly start until a year into the console's lifecycle is sort of a "new" thing.

I think that console launches have gotten weaker over time due to unmanageable game dev cycles, and the diminishing returns of graphical leaps makes it harder for early (less polished) games to differentiate themselves from the best of the previous generation. What makes it "worse" is that there no longer is a huge distinction between console gaming and PC gaming making things much more competitive.

(Nintendo, as always, is a weird outlier in this regard)

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There will be games that look great and will wow audiences this gen, but there is no getting away from diminishing returns in terms of graphics over time. Games going forward will need to find different ways of impressing people.

Lol people have been trying to push that graphical diminishing returns narrative for 15years now.

*Plays Demon's Souls remake*

Nope still not anywhere near diminishing returns!

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Instead of couching this as some intellectual discussion you can just say "I want really pretty 30fps games" because that's all I'm getting out of this.

And boy am I glad we didn't just get a bunch of 30fps games.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People have said this every gen since the 360 came out.

Back when it was allegedly the Xbox 1.5
I'm old enough to remember when I tried to hype myself up for Geometry Wars on the 360 because there was little else out there.... until the LOST PLANET DEMO OMG

Even old enough to remember when I tried to fool myself into believing that Automobili Lamborghini was a good game on N64, because of its early drought, while getting hyped over little screenshots of Quest 64, where N64 owners would FINALLY have an RPG that rivals Final Fantasy VII!

All that being said, my PS5 is collecting dust right now lol

AJUK

May 28, 2019
I agree with this, tlou2 felt more of a generational jump than any PS5 game has, although I will note that it was one of the 1st games I played on my PS4 pro.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
While we do get these conversations every gen, I think the emergence of the Pro and One X definitely did a number on the leap that everyone expected day one.

If you were coming from an OG Xbox One or an OG PS4 you'd have a phenomenal leap, even with crossgen titles. If you've spent the last three years already playing games at 4K on a One X then the step is undoubtedly smaller.
This is me, I never had a pro or X but now I have so many last gen games that got upgrades that I wanna go through again.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
I'm old enough to remember when I tried to hype myself up for Geometry Wars on the 360 because there was little else out there.... until the LOST PLANET DEMO OMG

Even old enough to remember when I tried to fool myself into believing that Automobili Lamborghini was a good game on N64, because of its early drought, while getting hyped over little screenshots of Quest 64, where N64 owners would FINALLY have an RPG that rivals Final Fantasy VII!

Remember seeing screenshots of Hybrid Heaven and thinking it was a Metal Gear killer? Or how Fighter's Destiny was the answer to Tekken? Haha.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Launch window games rarely move the needle. That's why I didn't bother to pre-order or jump in line.

Not since Halo CE has a launch game justified a console purchase for me. It was Mario 64 before that.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Remember seeing screenshots of Hybrid Heaven and thinking it was a Metal Gear killer? Or how Fighter's Destiny was the answer to Tekken? Haha.

Definitely remember seeing screens of Quest 64/Holy Magic Century and thinking the N64 finally had it's Final Fantasy killer.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
It's fine, I guess. But it's cemented for me the truth that outside of a few franchises I enjoy, I'm really not that into gaming anymore. Most titles just bore me to tears, regardless of how pretty they look or how well they run.

ArtemisLunar

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 13, 2018
It's the same for me on every start of each generation, but on this gen there's a lot of great upgrades for everyone: faster load times, upgraded audio/3D Audio and ray tracing.
We're going to start to see the impressive stuff on year 2 or 3.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
This gen has always going to be perceptually smaller jump due to various reasons so it's not unexpected that nothing released so has is looking like true next gen. This will change down the line once devs will stop caring about previous gen versions.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing something like Horizon is going to be the first next gen game to really melt peoples eyeballs.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
It's been 3 months. Jesus.
Discourse continues to track into the negative. Normally this "underwhelming" would probably happen later, but everyone wants to hate or dismiss everything because it doesn't fit some magical imagined launch window.

We've gotten plenty of fantastic next-gen / cross-gen / etc. stuff but *magical handwaving* none of those REALLY count... for reasons...

Heh

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
As an early adopter for tech myself, you need to set better expectations.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the start of this gen; few next gen titles and upgraded last gen titles are what I expected.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Stuff loads a lot faster is basically the big difference for me. And that is NICE. Try going back to playing on a ps4 and you'll keep thinking "why is everything so slow".

but yeah, its not a huge upgrade in quality or anything. more 60 fps is really nice though, but I expect that to drop to 30 fps across the board sadly sooner than later.

Honestly the much bigger change for me in the past 12 months is buying WAY fewer games and just enjoying games off gamepass and PS+ a lot more. This year has been nuts, I've plat'd Maneater, Control Ultimate Edition from PS+ and have played 20+ games off gamepass, and basically only bought 3-4 games in the past few months. Its a complete flip from years ago when I was buying 2-3 new games a month. To get me to pay $70-100 for a new game now requires it to really, really, really scratch a deep itch.

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
What's interesting to me in threads like this is that everyone always agrees "console launches always, suck you know this" while at the same time literally every Nintendo console launches with one or multiple evergreen titles that go on to be one of the best selling games of the console

Deleted member 79517

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 31, 2020
I just don't agree at all.

Last generation, I got a PS4 pretty early on and it literally sat unused for weeks until inFamous came out. Then, after that, it was another several months before I got so desperate I settled for Madden to get my gaming fix.

This generation, I've used my Series S daily since I bought it. There aren't a lot of next generation games, no, but I'm seeing a lot of my backlog benefit from the transition. I'll take that over the waiting months at a time for a drip feed from developers figuring out new hardware.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm extremely happy with both my PS5 and XSX. Game pass is incredible and I'm just happy to have better running games that aren't on those awful Jaguar cores while the PS4 prepares for lift off with those fans.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I'm enjoying it much more than last gen because of how many last gen games play better now. PS4s first year was just awful in comparison. BC is awesome.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
COVID affects all. Console shortages, delayed games... it's gonna take some time. But there are already clear benefits, and promise of where the generation can go.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I adore the new hardware, particularly the XSX.

There aren't many games yet, but that's normal. PS4 had no games for a while.

Backwards compat is also huge with these systems. Being able to play previous gen games with upgrades is insane.

I use the PS5/XSX far more than I used the PS4/XB1 in their first year

Last edited:

laughingmood

Apr 29, 2018
The first year of next gen is always barebones and the world is going through COVID, so......
This. The COVID piece is such a huge, obvious and overarching factor. From people complaining about cross gen releases (which will continue for much longer this generation due to very real and impactful COVID related chip shortages) to complaints of delays.. It's becoming tiring explaining that water is wet.

And in direct response to OP's complaints, Demons Souls was next gen af. I'm 45 and have been gaming since the 2600 days. If booting from a cold start into DeS in seconds doesn't impress, the ability to properly access objective technological progress should be strengthened.

Oct 27, 2017
It's all felt like one big gen since ps360 kinda. 360/ps3 was the last time it felt like there was a clean break from the gen prior. A couple of super manicured information dumps is basically a console launch now. It felt more emphatic when it was total chaos like leading up to 360/ps3 and then nintendo comes out with a dildo controller that outsells them all 100:1. something that random probably won't happen again. But also I was a kid so I had the time to go nuts for it.

The new consoles are way more interesting than ps4/xb1 tho, at least. My pc was already more exciting than ps4 and was already there in my apartment and would run anything ported to it better all gen long.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting to see how stances have changed, because I remember before when a lot of people said backwards compatibility didn't matter. I don't buy new consoles to play old games was a pretty common comment.
At the time many didn't appreciate what a big boon it would be to have your games library move with you to the new system. Now everyone can continue playing their favorite games (many with improved performance at no additional cost!) without being shackled to old hardware, while simultaneously waiting for new games.

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018
As someone who stuck with a base PS4 all the way through last gen the jump to Demon Souls at 4K/60 with next to 0 loading times is mind blowing to me. Heck simply playing a game without the console whirring like a jack hammer is worth the price to upgrade alone.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
I mean last gen didn't get good until 2015ish so I'm not surprised. Generation before took a couple years to really take off also. Patience.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At the time many didn't appreciate what a big boon it would be to have your games library move with you to the new system. Now everyone can continue playing their favorite games (many with improved performance at no additional cost!) without being shackled to old hardware, while simultaneously waiting for new games.
Especially as digital games steadily increase and people build digital libraries of games.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
This happens every time. The first few years are underwhelming because devs are still getting used to the new hardware.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I just switched from base PS4 to PS5 with a 4k tv and it is pure magic. For me the jump is enormous and it is great.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
The framerates are most impressive to me. Demon's Souls looked and felt amazing at 60 and the Miles Morales performance RT mode is very impressive. Demon's would certainly be 30 on PS4 Pro and I'm pretty sure there's no 60 fps option for Miles on PS4 Pro? Somebody can correct me if that's wrong.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
People are being too dismissive of OP. Yes, it always takes some time to get rolling, but the nature of console launches is changing as well. Generational leaps are no longer what they once were and things are now more iterative. Breakthroughs seem to take more time.

I also feel that while games have advanced graphically, they have been stagnant in many other ways. Part of the dream has always been games with dynamic and open gameplay. Yet, games still feel very "on rails". It feels like little advancement has been made in that area since the 360 era. I can't remember the last game I played where I was wowed by the expansive gameplay possibilities.