• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wildphantom_

Feb 14, 2021
I went from a base PS4 which I played and completed Control on. Played Control Ultimate on my PS5 and it was a huge jump in performance/load times. Was a wow moment for me thinking back to my PS4 playthrough.

Playing Demon's Souls now and it's seriously impressive coming off Bloodborne at 30 FPS.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm totally the opposite. Games nowadays looks good enough. But didn't play well enough last gen. Now we have amazing looking game at 60fps
I'm super happy

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
This gen will take some time to really shine. But there is plenty to play in the meanwhile.
And if you play on XSX or PS5 it will play a lot better and load faster and often in glorious 4K

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
First full year of transition last time, 2014, was a weak year for the new consoles as well. So not shocked on my end plus we added COVID related delays into the mix. Hopefully all this means is we'll have a real amazing 2022.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm beyond impressed by both next gen systems and I already had my "wow this is next gen" moment with both. I have a 3080 and I still think both consoles are impressive af and formidable alternatives to high end PC gaming experience.

Oct 28, 2017
Can't say that I agree. I mainly played on PC because 30 FPS sucks and shouldn't exist. 60 FPS in every new game I've played so far plus a bunch of PS4 exclusives that I haven't played yet updated to 60fps means the start of this gen is already better than the last two.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I'm super happy. I can go from cold boot to playing my game right where I left off in < 30 seconds instead of 5 minutes. All of my stuff came forward but plays better. 120 FPS in Sea of Thieves is stunning. Just did some awesome couch coop MCC last night also 120 FPS. I'm getting to play games like Control with features like ray tracing without spending hundreds/thousands on a PC I don't have room for. MS and Sony both have fantastic pipelines coming.

Like, yeah there isn't much yet that makes you go "oh my god, next gen!" just from visuals, but once you move up the experience is just 100x better compared to PS4/XB1.

javiBear

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
All the SSD's do is load my disappointment instantly instead of making me wait two minutes to be depressed.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Covid delayed most of the first next gen games by a year or so. I wonder if the gen will last longer than usual for this reason.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
Frankly new generations aren't very exciting on their own for the average person (like me), heavily reliant on titles. It doesn't help that the benefits of a new Gen become progressively harder to see - they're there if you take a look at load times, fidelity, options, etc. It's just less apparent than prior is all, and that's not such a bad thing.

Some great titles are out, absolutely, but the new Gen is mostly just about continuing to play games rather than a new console doing new things - for me it feels a lot like the last two generations are just one larger generation, I guess?

Nov 27, 2017
California
Aside from Demon Souls and NBA 2K21 there's nothing exclusive about the new systems
Fast loading is a neat feature though
Still crazy that PS5 was going for 1K in November

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
The push towards 60fps with higher resolutions is impressive enough. Transformative new types of gameplay are unlikely to coincide with new generations - they'll happen organically.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Op is not wrong per se, but it's also not hard to see why the situation is like it is:
Launch is usually already kinda thin and covid pushed everything back another 6-12 months.

Oct 27, 2017
There is always a shortage of next gen only content in the first year and especially with this generation of consoles with the extent of shortages, people who have these consoles are in the minority so far. Add on to that a pandemic and multiple lockdowns or restrictions throughout the world and it's actually pretty impressive we have anything at all. Consoles and especially next-gen consoles are a luxury item and I fully expect people should jump in when they see the value not because they want the next thing (even though of course that aspect will always exist). I personally would not say I am underwhelmed but it is exactly what I expected it to be given both context and looking at the facets of the next gen before deciding on purchase. Consoles are a 5 - 7 year cycle often enough, we are not even part way through year 1 yet; its okay to be underwhelmed but it is also important to manage expectations given context and that these are long-term investments.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I actually really enjoyed Shadowfall (Killzone 2 is my second favorite game of all time btw.) The reason I mention Shadowfall here is b/c if felt like a next-gen experience. It looked phenomenal and displayed things I had never seen up tot that point. The PS5 has some amazing launch games; that is not the point I am making, and should be evident if you read the OP.

100% this.
I'm not sure how to discuss when we're this forehead deep in subjectivity. The leap in asset fidelity Demon's Souls brings, while running at 60fps, is just at a glance far beyond anything running on the PS4 Pro. On a technical level it's a showcase of what wasn't possible on previous hardware.

How am I to respond when one feels it barely looks different than last-gen gaming? All I can say is I vehemently disagree, and that it's only a preview of what is to come.

Jan 11, 2018
It's been three freaking months. I don't know why people expect next gens to be some sort of life changing experience right out of the gate. The only times I ever "felt" the jump like that was with the N64 and the Wii.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I think it'll be a bad gen for Sony first party fans, or at least a bad couple years, but third parties will heavily pick up the slack. There will be no shortage of great games to play, but with scarcity the way it is and with the market leader's insistence on leaving a huge part of that market behind, expect crossgen to continue longer than ever before.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like you really kicked a beehive OP. I agree though. If it weren't for BC I would be heavily regretting my purchase.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
First years have always been shit since the PS2 and it's getting worse due to crossgen releases. At least that's far better than full priced sub-10h experiences with fancy graphics (remember ZoE1?).

Axumar

May 13, 2020
The reality of this pandemic is hitting everyone hard. Game developers are no different. I'm sure the extreme shortages in consoles world wide are also very discouraging to publishers. They probably don't feel the need to push out new exclusive content if the machines are selling out anyway.

That said, I thought Demon Souls looked amazing. Loading times are also a huge improvement. Faster than I'm used to on PC, which is typically way faster than consoles. I'm eagerly anticipating Ratchet later this year.

Honestly, I'm pretty happy that we are getting a constant stream of games on every platform without any breaks. We should really be thankful for that.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Reminder that PS4 was getting dunked on from Novemeber 2013 till Bloodborne's release in March 2015.

Memes like PS4 has no games and indiestation 4 existed for a reason.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I've been thinking a lot lately about the technological wall we seem to be hitting.

Sure, 4K at 60fps is great - and I expect it across the board this gen. BUT, I also know that fidelity / visuals are hitting a wall in terms of devs being tapped out. Games today look damn GOOD - not sure how much more we can push it.

And in terms of new, original and unique IP - it seems we're slowing down on that front these days as well. Too much risk and too littler promise for reward; especially with big publishers.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Going from base PS4 to PS5 I'm definitely impressed playing on a 4K tv. But really the best feature is the quick loading and I'm glad it got highlighted in FF7 R PS5 reveal again. Hopefully more games will ditch the PS4 and focus on PS5 soon

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Idk. Playing Astrobot with the dual sense and demon and spidey at 60fps looking as beautiful and loading as fast as they do has been enough for me. Days gone and god of war look and play so much better but I can understand if someone already played and beat those games. Console launches are rarely worth it but I feel the ps5 has had the best launch of any Sony console. Series x was a little disappointing to me because there wasn't any major exclusive and I have a 3080.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
It's been the opposite for me, this gen is already blowing me away. Even though there isn't really shit available during the first 1-2 years of a new console (and who knows what impact COVID will have on that) and we are hitting the point of diminishing returns on graphics, I am playing far more games with PS5/XSX thanks to the load times being so fast. I don't have much time to play, so it is huge to be able to boot the console up and be in-game so quickly.

Obviously things aren't perfect (especially with PS5 having a laughably small SSD), but I love it so far.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Look at just some of the games we got from PlayStation in the year leading up to the PS5 launch:

Persona 5 Royale
The Last of Us 2
Dreams
Ghost of Tsushima
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Nioh 2

And many, many more giving us one of the best final years of a console ever before its successor comes out. Then we look at some of the launch games for the PS5:

Spider-Man Miles Morales
Demon's Souls
Astrobot
Sackboy

And many more games, giving us one of the strongest PlayStation console launches ever. The launch window would've been much more appealing if Cyberpunk hadn't shat the bed also. Then we have a gander at what they had planned for a 2021 release:

Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
Horizon Forbidden West
God of War 2
Gran Turismo 7
Returnal

And many, many more. Covid obviously fucked up some plans there and things got pushed back, but those are unavoidable, especially since no one wants a repeat of what happened with Cyberpunk. PS gamers have had one helluva run this past year and more heavy hitters are on the horizon. It's not for lack of trying that we don't have quite as many games to play right now as we would have had in a world where Covid didn't happen. Also as with any new gen it'll take time for developers to fully leverage the power of the consoles so the games we'll be seeing in the next couple of years should far surpass what we're seeing right now. That's how it always is, and will continue to be since game dev is such a lengthy process.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Right now my PS5 is a PS4 Pro Max. It's basically quality of life things like a faster interface, loading, and haptic feedback.

immsun

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Well i played Demon Souls and wow. Stellar.

Very impressed with the start iam. Yet to.play Miles though.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Yeah I shouldn't have bothered getting a PS5, thing has like no games. Demon's Souls and Astro are the only 2 exclusive PS5 games I've gotten, I know there are other games but I'm not into Ubisoft or Call of Duty