• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, the PS5's initial months are WAY better than the PS4's in both content quality and graphics. I think people kinda forget how bad launch years usually are. During the PS4 launch, I can only remember Resogun and Killzone which was just ok.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Demon's Souls Remake has amazing next-gen graphics.

That alone renders graphical disappointment with next-gen a non-starter.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Next gen is a myth. I have yet to see a ps5 or and xbox in real life. I know they exist, but where? No idea.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I seriously doubt you were blown away by Shadowfall as a game though, so I can't understand why you are putting it on a pedestal to use as a bludgeon against the PS5 launch.

Because the discussion is about hardware changes, technical showcases. The frame rates and resolutions are nice but they don't have the same wow factor as pure eye candy at 30 fps for a lot of people.

I went to e3 and played drive club, watched a bloodborne demonstration, played the order 1886 and was absolutely blown away by the visuals.

The only thing I've seen so far this gen that really gave me the same wow factor was this.

youtu.be

PS5 Unreal Engine 5 Tech Demo

Unreal Engine 5 is Epic Games' next-gen game engine, utilizing film-quality art assets and dynamic lighting. A PS5 tech demo highlights the new capabilities ...

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I see your point (especially in regards to graphics) but to me this has probably been my favorite start to a generation ever.

The combination of gamepass with amazing backwards comparability support and quality of life features like quick resume, fast loading times and a speedier UI has mean I've able to play through tons of games I've had in my "backlog" well continuing to play the multiplayer games I was playing with all my group before (who is split between old and new) we'll taking advantage of higher framerates and better loading.

Basically every generation before this around this time I'd be basically bored with it.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Every new generation, there are always people complaining about how "underwhelming" the new gen is, when it takes a couple of years to actually get the ball rolling. Plus, I have played Demon's Souls and that game is definitely not underwhelming on the PS5. Miles Morales with raytracing/60P is a treat to behold and Astro is a total joy to experience. Excluding the pandemic and small quantity of units available to purchase, this gen has had an amazing start.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if these consoles didn't have BC. Imagine.

Every time I open up my PS5 PSN store to see what's new, I pray to Cerny that they supported BC. Not that it's not (more of a) thing on the Xbox side, but the PSN store offering you a split, at its most basic level, of 'PS5' and 'PS4' storefronts (rather than just as overall 'what's new' for example) really hammers it home if you just regularly open the PS5 section.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
a7dc422f-ad0f-4559-9320-5574b3fc1aef

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been extremely impressed by the games who have used the Dualsense features well so far.

Plenty of things coming later this year for PS5. In the meantime I've been enjoying playing things like the Control rerelease. There is always a ramp up to big impressive titles. Cant wait for Ratchet later this year though!

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
BC is saving these consoles. This is one of the worst first years for a console ever. Impressive machines but I'm thinking COVID f'd things up.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I probably would have been more impressed with that performance on a portable if the price was lower. Here in Canada, the Vita launched at $300 while the Switch was $400. The Switch is more powerful but it was five years later.
I mean Vita to Switch was basically a full gen jump too. Very much like going from Xbox to 360.

I can agree the Switch lineup itself wasn't exactly jaw dropping due to the prevalence of old stuff, but then handheld launches tend to be loaded with console conversions, ports and remasters going back to the original Game Boy even. With GB people weren't impressed by Tennis or Baseball or even Mario Land themselves so much as how they were now playing them.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, that division trailer. I feel like this Gen should be capable of that fidelity, and the pre-downgrade witcher 3 and watch dogs, no?
It would absolutely be possible to make a game look like that with on current gen hardware considering that the original game wasn't that far off from that demo. Character model and GI quality aside.

Oct 29, 2017
It just started / every gen is like this / COVID just makes it even moreso.

I for one am thrilled with the enhanced BC on Xbox Series X even in the absence of stuff that's totally new.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, it's just started, in the middle of a worldwide pandemic no less.

You always have to wait two to three years a new gen to kick into gear. That's one reason I don't see the point in being an early adopter. At least, if you're interested in exclusives and worthwhile next gen experiences.

That said, the lightning fast load times and enhanced last gen titles are pretty damn appealing on their own.

Last edited:

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
People saying "it's always like that" . Well, early PS4 games looked phenomenal compared to PS3 games. Shadowfall, Driveclub and Second son looked much, much better than Tlou for example. PS5/XSX games look good, but so far it's more higher definition and better framerate. We still get clipping, we still get pop in, we still get average facial animations etc..

Oct 26, 2017
I think for me, having consoles have cartridge like loading times again (and decibels for that matter too) is the best thing about the new gen. The visual stunners will roll out of the next couple of years

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
I don't know, I've loved the move to 60 fps for so many games. Also, I feel like this year will be miles better than 2014 was for PS4 and Xbox 1. And this is during a pandemic...

OP
OP
WeAreStarStuff
Oct 28, 2017
Washington DC
I seriously doubt you were blown away by Shadowfall as a game though, so I can't understand why you are putting it on a pedestal to use as a bludgeon against the PS5 launch.

I actually really enjoyed Shadowfall (Killzone 2 is my second favorite game of all time btw.) The reason I mention Shadowfall here is b/c if felt like a next-gen experience. It looked phenomenal and displayed things I had never seen up tot that point. The PS5 has some amazing launch games; that is not the point I am making, and should be evident if you read the OP.

Because the discussion is about hardware changes, technical showcases. The frame rates and resolutions are nice but they don't have the same wow factor as pure eye candy at 30 fps for a lot of people.

I went to e3 and played drive club, watched a bloodborne demonstration, played the order 1886 and was absolutely blown away by the visuals.

The only thing I've seen so far this gen that really gave me the same wow factor was this.

youtu.be

PS5 Unreal Engine 5 Tech Demo

Unreal Engine 5 is Epic Games' next-gen game engine, utilizing film-quality art assets and dynamic lighting. A PS5 tech demo highlights the new capabilities ...

100% this.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
1) - It's only late February right now, both new consoles have been out less than 4 months at this point.
2) - We're about to ~celebrate~ 12 months of covid19 related lockdowns, it's a miracle any games got finished or hardware manufactured
3) - The first year of a new console has been lacking for the last 3 generations now even in non pandemic launches
4) - in spite of this , playing tons of BC games at double the frame rate is still a pretty solid feat.

So I suppose on a personalized level it comes down to a few other things beyond those 4 points, why did *YOU* buy new hardware ? going by the OP , it seems as though you've played at least a half dozen games already, given you're of similar age to me that's actually quite the feat. I'm lucky if I finish 1 game every 6 months at this point. I buy new hardware because I'm into new tech , having access to shiny new games and such and playing older ones at higher framerates is a fun bonus. I don't care if a full blown exclusive that I really want isn't dropping until say the end of the year. Got WAY too many games to play through in the meantime. I never finished scenario B in RE2 , I grabbed RE3 cheap so I'll play that quick, I'm currently playing God of War for the first time. I've got a remastered spiderman waiting , Avengers gets a next gen update in a couple weeks so I can go back and do Hawkeye and Kate Bishops stuff. Resident Evil 8 is out in a few months , FF7RI shortly after that. Guilty Gear Strive too ! . I don't need exclusive mind blowing experiences really, I've already got a massive QOL boost in many ways going from a Pro to a PS5 and I know more games will be out down the road. Even looking to my back log - I never finished Last of Us remastered for whatever reason , Uncharted 4 / Lost legacy, Horizon Zero Dawn , hell even the Ratchet remake. I might give Days gone a try , down the road even play Ghosts of Tsushima.

By the time I finally get caught up on all the stuff I sidetracked there'll probably be a wealth of new games to try out so I can't say I'm underwhelmed at all. I'm especially impressed either the new console made it out the door in time for christmas considering point 2. Hell , it's also pretty surprising Microsoft managed to sell any units given they had 0 new exclusives until January. Ultimately having a place to play all your games more easily is the bigger win here and I can't be let down by that.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Really been enjoying my ps5 so far - dead silent, super fast load times, new 4K OLED TV, and as someone who enjoys replaying games have really loved the focus on BC with improvements. Demons souls by bluepoint at launch, Re8 and ratchet in a couple months... I'm good to go. And all during a pandemic.

one of my favourite generational transitions tbh 🤷‍♂️ To each their own

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
I wouldn't know having been unable to score one. I have to admit though as months slip by I am less inclined to snag one should they miraculously become available. In the absence of FOMO there isn't much to compel this year.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I've been numb to the whole "graphics, graphics, graphics" shit for the past couple generations now so seeing more focus being put on performance and quality of life is exactly what I want. Despite that, the games to come out so far have also managed to look fantastic. Miles Morales in performance RT mode is phenomenal and the amount of environmental detail in Demon's Souls is insane. It's also, you know, only been four months.

Jul 26, 2018
Is it a gaming experience that I could have never imagined before? No. Am I having fun with my XSX? Hell yeah, the machine is begging us for some rest at home.

Oct 27, 2017
With Covid the usual cross-gen transition will be worse this time around. It took around 1,5 years until true next gen games started rolling out consistently with the XBO/PS4. We'll be lucky if we get there with 2 years this gen.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I actually really enjoyed Shadowfall (Killzone 2 is my second favorite game of all time btw.) The reason I mention Shadowfall here is b/c if felt like a next-gen experience. It looked phenomenal and displayed things I had never seen up tot that point. The PS5 has some amazing launch games; that is not the point I am making, and should be evident if you read the OP.

100% this.

So for those who didn't go to E3, we just got to play Shadowfall, which great you enjoyed, but you saw videos of Driveclub, which came out over a year after launch, Bloodborne, which came out over a year+ after launch and Order 1886, which came out at the same time as Bloodborne, and that was good enough for the PS4 generation to be a better generation than the first couple months of this one?

I mean at this point are we just taking into account everything from PS5/XSX launch through early 2022? Because that's the length of time you're working with here.

Is visuals the only way to be impressed? I really feel like you just need to re-examine some things.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I mean, many would argue it hasn't even begun. Sony and MS should had delayed the launch. Probably both were waiting for the other to do the first move.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody can get the PS5, if nobody can get it because everyone in the world wants one, kinda difficult to reveal and announce those games that are exclusive to it when people wouldn't be able to play

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I like playing PS4 games on PS5 (except for the stupid external drive issues and "Other" eating up storage) and Xbox One / Xbox 360 games on XSX. The systems are much snappier, load times are generally quicker and for games with unlocked framerates or patches (GoW, Ghost of Tsushima, Hitman 2, GTA IV, etc...) all run amazingly well on the new systems. BC is the main "system seller" to me.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Definitely diminishing returns graphically starting with the PS4/xb1 gen to me. The loading times and quiet consoles are pretty great which is my main takeaway this gen.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
i mean there's been like what 5 or so games? not counting cross gen
Medium +
Demon's Souls + (but a remake)
Destruction all stars -
Godfall -
Astrobot +

am i missing anytihng?

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
it's what 5 months since launch after and unprecedented pandemic?

It's astounding these things even made it out. what the hell

Oct 29, 2017
I have to say that last generation game output-just didn't seem comparable to 360/ps3/wii gen. I expect console outputto be less and less as costs rise

Oct 25, 2017
Some people are miserable.

Demon's Souls looks insane, and at 60 fps and with super fast loading and 3D audio to boot. I can play Miles at 60 fps with ray tracing. The DualSense support on Astro's Playroom is fantastic. I couldn't get any of that on my noisy Pro. Upcoming games like Returnal and Ratchet look superb, as do third-party titles like Village and Deathloop.

On top of that: have some patience. This gen is a few months old and we're in the midst of a pandemic. Shipping a game is an achievement in itself right now.