• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
It's 4am and I'm itchy everywhere, it's Winter in Australia and I don't know why but it's around this time of year my body gets really itchy.

It could be eczema, but I don't know its too hard not to scratch and when I do I get a lot of scratch marks and sometimes I scratch so hard I bleed :/.

Just want to know if anyone else has experienced this, also inb4 go see a doctor.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I've had the itchiness in various situations. If it's a short term solution you're after try a couple of paracetamol or ibuprofen.

Oct 28, 2017
I get the same way in the winter. Its agony. But these help.

Might also try the one with aloe when you shower before bed.

71zcy-dhicl._sl1500_k9kzk.jpg

Then follow up with this. It's not greasy and absorbs quickly.

1c0bc97f-c7aa-4773-boykyb.jpeg

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Dry skin and eczema is the pits, usually for me applying lotion to not completely dry skin helps a lot, and if you're miserable in bed honestly just get out of bed, shower or apply lotion. Google good bed hygiene too because that can exacerbate things.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I had a thread about this a few years ago. I became allergic to SOMETHING, and now, every so often for a brief period, I'll break out in patches of little itchy bumps. Last break out was a few weeks ago.

I had a prescription a few years ago but I never got it refilled after I moved. For now, I take Cortosone 10. No where good as prescription-strength, but it does provide relief.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Itchiness during cold seasons is due to dry skin. Try over the counter moisturiser, and then prescription.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I get it at the back of my left knee. Using Aveeno to see if it helps. It's a pain in the arse as I'm a poor sleeper anyways.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The two times I got so itchy I couldn't sleep was when I got the dengue fever. Is there dengue in Australia?

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Try something like ceterizine. I get itches all the time, and red rash. Taking anti histamines helps.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Ended up having a shower and am just going to do an all-nighter, already had a nap earlier and so now I can't get back to sleep lol.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
clean sheets and a shower before bed is probably the first thing you should try.

one thing that helps me , is dabbing cold water on the itchy spots or quickly turning off the hot water in the shower so you get cooler water for a second or two before switching off the taps. (yes, even in winter)

XenIneX

Oct 28, 2017
Short term, moisturizer and sensitive-skin body soap.

Long term, look into a whole-house humidifier.

I used to turn into a reptile over the winter (and occasionally kill electronics thanks to static electricity). Skin-care products took the edge off, but didn't entirely solve it. With a humidifier bolted to the furnace, the humidity never drops below 40% in the winter.

I've been moist ever since...

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe its your room that is too dry, because of your heater. Get a humidifier, or try just putting a cup full of water on your heater

zag_on_em

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Make sure your bath/shower water isn't too hot, that will dry your skin out. Get a good moisturizing body wash without a lot of fragrance in it (none if possible), and right when you get out of the shower after you dry off use a good lotion specifically for very dry, sensitive skin. No fragrance.

If you're usually getting a normal 7-8 hours of sleep, try taking a benadryl an hour before you go to bed. If it's allergy related that should help, and it'll also help you sleep.

Wife going through same thing but she prego in final trimester, feel bad

fuck, that itchy skin is real. for me it's my belly and my face. I'm only 16 weeks along so I'm certainly hoping it doesn't get worse as I go!

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
When I lived in Arizona (desert) I think the air conditioner was on the fritz cause I got really itchy from it. I think maybe the filter was bad but it could be from some kind of machine you have running (heater maybe since you said it's winter).

I run a humidifier in the winter in New England and that helps a lot. Lotion like other people suggested. Maybe you used new soap to wash your sheets?

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finish your shower with cold(er) water, moisturise, and once you've gotten it down to just a few patches of itchiness a decent way to get temporary relief is putting an icepack on it. Don't use water imo.

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
It's 4am and I'm itchy everywhere, it's Winter in Australia and I don't know why but it's around this time of year my body gets really itchy.

It could be eczema, but I don't know its too hard not to scratch and when I do I get a lot of scratch marks and sometimes I scratch so hard I bleed :/.

Just want to know if anyone else has experienced this, also inb4 go see a doctor.
Don't scratch. You'll create and itch scratch cycle that could result in lichen simplex chronicus and that, friend, is 'orrible. Get yourself some Aveeno lotion, try to sleep in a cool room, oatmeal baths are good, and see your GP.

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
Make sure your bath/shower water isn't too hot, that will dry your skin out. Get a good moisturizing body wash without a lot of fragrance in it (none if possible), and right when you get out of the shower after you dry off use a good lotion specifically for very dry, sensitive skin. No fragrance.

If you're usually getting a normal 7-8 hours of sleep, try taking a benadryl an hour before you go to bed. If it's allergy related that should help, and it'll also help you sleep.

fuck, that itchy skin is real. for me it's my belly and my face. I'm only 16 weeks along so I'm certainly hoping it doesn't get worse as I go!
Congrats! My wife is currently 30 weeks so almost there, im surprised she is able to function with the lack of sleep she has got lately

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
are you using those tide pod detergents? Your washer might not be getting rid of them properly. We were itching like a motherfucker for two months until we figured it out and it disappeared as soon as we switched to liquid detergent.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Drink more water, less caffeine, change soap for a sensitive skin moisturiser bar (dove), aveeno lotion after shower, change bed sheets weekly and stop scratching (makes it worse and hangs around longer).

Fake edit: good posts above about laundry detergent changes, also add something like an antibacterial rinse to your laundry loads, like this one from Woolies. If you can dry your laundry/sheets out in the sun instead of a dryer as the sun kills a bunch of stuff while drying too.

Plus try to get sun on your own skin, yes even in winter in Aus. I have dry skin etc and the more time I get in the sun with less clothes on the better. Take 10mins a side a day in the sun, helps me a lot.

Oct 26, 2017
1. drink plenty of water and stay hydrated. Also, cut down on sugar (carbonated drinks in particular) if you have a high sugar intake.
2. Don't have hot showers/baths, you get just as clean with cooler water and it doesn't dry out your skin. Don't rub your skin dry with a towel, pat it dry and moisturise right afterwards with an unscented moisturiser.
3. Change your bedding regularly and it may be worth using a different detergent.

4(optional) It could be worth trying an over the counter corticosteroid cream like Eumovate cream, these can be very effective at suppressing inflammation and itching from skin conditions and breaking the "Itch, scratch, itch" cycle. These should be used sparingly but you really should consult a medical professional about this.

iAmPossum

Oct 29, 2017
I'd suggest quit using bar soap in winters. It'll dry you out if you're not moisturizing yourself afterwards.