• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I've been trying to play through RE4 on both my switch and PS4 but I just can't get used to the controls. I've beaten this game multiple times on gamecube but I find myself missing a lot of my shots. Anyone else have this problem?

Oct 27, 2017
Change into the third option in the control settings. They screwed up the controls in the current gen version.

Though they did screw up the dead zone in the PS2 version and it has been like that since. Even if you somehow plug in a gsme cube controller it will be the same in the ccurrent version.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is the best way to play. The game was fully designed around the GC controller. The HD version aiming suffers thanks to the deadzone.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Played the game first on Gamecube and later on Wii. The Wii version controls were imo perfect. Made the game actually a bit too easy, lol.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I can't believe we finally got a Resi 4 port for Switch, the same system where there's a Resi Revelations port with gyro aiming, and we can't gyro aim on RE4. I honestly lost interest because of it. It's how I played RE4 for the first time that way, and I don't think I can go back.

OP
OP
asmith906

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe we finally got a Resi 4 port for Switch, the same system where there's a Resi Revelations port with gyro aiming, and we can't gyro aim on RE4. I honestly lost interest because of it. It's how I played RE4 for the first time that way, and I don't think I can go back.
gyro aiming was amazing in uncharted on Vita.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It is the best way to play. The game was fully designed around the GC controller. The HD version aiming suffers thanks to the deadzone.

I'm playing it on Switch right now and it seems like Leon's hand shakes way more when aiming than I remember from the GC. Is that related to the deadzone?

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any video talking about the RE4 deadzone thing ?
Looked for one myself since I wanted to watch video comparison, but nothing.

I've played the gamecube version 100 times and I wanted to play the ps4 version eventually.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I sucked it up last week and adapted to the PS4 version.
I've still got it, the bottle caps don't lie!

But yes it definitely felt a bit off.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing it on Switch right now and it seems like Leon's hand shakes way more when aiming than I remember from the GC. Is that related to the deadzone?

Not sure, since i don't have a way to check that right now but it could be because of the game being 60fps on the Switch. Some things unfortunately are a bit broken in the game when it is played at that framerate. I seem to remember that this was a bug that affected some players on the PS4 as well and i'm not sure if that has been fixed.

Even the Ultimate HD edition has some bugs on the PC that the original version didn't, like broken lightning in some scenes which gives the game a slight yellowish tint and that luckily has been fixed with the HD fan mode that is being developed right now.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Agreed OP. I played the game back on the GameCube and Wii, and couldn't bring myself to play with the Wii gyro aiming despite reading about how much better it is.

Good thing we can still play RE4 on Wii and Switch with a GameCube controller.

PhazonBlazer

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I never actually played RE4 on GameCube. The first time I played it was on Wii and that's still the best way to play imo. I've played on PC and Switch and they don't compare.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
I can't move on from Wii Controls, need my pinpoint accuracy on those Regeninators lol

(Lack of gyro controls for modern ports is a damn shame)

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure, since i don't have a way to check that right now but it could be because of the game being 60fps on the Switch. Some things unfortunately are a bit broken in the game when it is played at that framerate. I seem to remember that this was a bug that affected some players on the PS4 as well and i'm not sure if that has been fixed.

Even the Ultimate HD edition has some bugs on the PC that the original version didn't, like broken lightning in some scenes which gives the game a slight yellowish tint and that luckily has been fixed with the HD fan mode that is being developed right now.

Huh, the frame rate bump causing would it make sense, because it's a very fast wobble. It's really made the shooting gallery a pain in the ass.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing it on Switch and the aiming immediately did feel different. I kept wondering if the controls had changed, or if the Wii Edition precision had overwritten the GC controls in my muscle memory, or if my reflexes had softened over time, but I felt like I kept overshooting my aim way more, constantly fiddling, and wasting a lot of bullets in the process.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
found this
qEI0FX4.png

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Last time I replayed the game, it was on Wii. About halfway through I had to switch to using the GameCube controller. Controlling the game became much easier once I made the switch.

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Capcom has yet to un-break the deadzones, which completely breaks fine aiming in a game that demands that you can shoot some enemies in their left eye, is ridiculous.

Just play it on GameCube or Wii (with GameCube controller). It's the only way to play this game IMO.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I've been trying to play through RE4 on both my switch and PS4 but I just can't get used to the controls. I've beaten this game multiple times on gamecube but I find myself missing a lot of my shots. Anyone else have this problem?

I haven't tried the Switch version extensively, but the dead zone on the PS4 and Xbox ports isn't as smooth as the GC original.
On Xbox one it's outstandingly bad actually. Unsure how different ports end up with different dead zones when ported from the same base but here we are.
I want to go so far as to say even playing the Wii version with the GC controller feels off.

For all intents and purposes *technically* RE4 on GC is still the best way to play it if you want to be absolutely precise and not acclimate to the newer styles.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
I'm with you OP. Im way too accustomed to the GC when playing RE4. There is Something about the controls for RE4 on the GameCube controller that felt right for me. The button layout for each input feels so natural.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I still think the game plays best on Wii, even if that's not the most technically accomplished version of the game. PC would be second, if using a regular controller.

Does the pc version suffer from deadzones
Yes, but you can fix it with Steam Input's anti-deadzone feature:
re4-antideadzone-aljvk.png

You can set up gyro aiming too, if you like.
There's no fix for the poor mouse control though (but it can be improved over the default by changing it to "modern" aiming).

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I understand how you feel. I don't think I'll ever be able to move on from the Wii version.

Oct 25, 2017
I still think the game plays best on Wii, even if that's not the most technically accomplished version of the game. PC would be second, if using a regular controller.

Yes, but you can fix it with Steam Input's anti-deadzone feature:
re4-antideadzone-aljvk.png

You can set up gyro aiming too, if you like.
There's no fix for the poor mouse control though (but it can be improved over the default by changing it to "modern" aiming).
I might have to check this out... I never thought of the anti-deadzone feature but using that I might be able to get re4 PC to actually be on par with the GCN version!

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I feel the same way but with the Wii mote, I've played it a ton of different ways now but it will always be my preference

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've played RE4 on every platform it has been released on, and I am here to report that a gamecube and tube tv are still 100% the best way to play it. It controls and looks better.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
Even before you get to the dead zone thing, the control options for the modern ports suck. The "classic" mode sets aim to R1 for some reason?

Deleted member 61326

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2019
It took me the absolute longest time to switch from the GC controller for Smash and I'm still not totally comfortable. RE4, Viewtiful Joe and Metroid Prime are the other games I can't play on anything other than a GC pad.

I wish Nintendo would release a fully wireless version with HD rumble and all the Switch buttons so I can just stick with it.

I'm impressed you even managed to relearn Smash without the GC controller. Couldn't do it, had to buy an adapter. Love my WaveBird.

Oct 29, 2017
The great thing about the Wii version is that it supports the GCN controller anyway; so if you want to play the extra content with the original controls, you can.

That being said, the Wii controls are so amazing that I simply wouldn't want to play the game without them anyway.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Has anyone tried GC controller on the Switch port through the official adapter?
Also there are still no gyro controls in this port? :(

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone tried GC controller on the Switch port through the official adapter?
Also there are still no gyro controls in this port? :(
The controller isn't the problem. It would be far better with modern controllers if deadzones weren't so badly programmed with the game.

Oct 27, 2017
Played the Xbox one version on gamepass for a bit and couldn't stand it, deadzones made me legit angry. Then I remembered I had it on PS4 and played that, and although the deadzones are still there it wasn't as bad as the Xbox version and could at least enjoy the game. Xbox version was unplayable for me, I couldn't aim for my life.

The NiGHTS into dreams port is another case of "I don't understand what's so hard about mapping the analog stick correctly"