• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Yeah that's the game. So excited for more arcade racers, and it's a crap port. I "beat" it but didn't bother to keep playing with how much it kept crashing on me. I regret buying for sure.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
The general idea around the switch is "at least it has these games"

I'm not sure if it's the relatively weak hardware, developer incompetence, or some mixture of the two, but it is what it is at this point.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
This happens on all platforms, though. Strange that you're singling out the Switch.

Either way, it's just the reality of game development being more complex than ever. Can't expect developers to zap every last bug prior to release, so I see no problem with day one patches myself. I'd rather have them than be forever stuck with bugs that were unable to be zapped prior to a game's launch.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
OK. I would simply not buy those games.

e47.png

edit: going to leave this here since it's way too late to stop the quotes, but if you find yourself quoting this now I'll just note that I was wrong.

Last edited:

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch does what it can for basically being a tablet. If you want better performance, play on a different platform

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Switch is a good secondary console, but youre def missing out on a lot the industry has to offer if you dont own an xbox or ps. 3rd party support is good but id personally never want to play a 3rd party game on the switch.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
This happens on all platforms, though. Strange that you're singling out the Switch.

Either way, it's just the reality of game development being more complex than ever. Can't expect developers to zap every last bug prior to release, so I see no problem with day one patches myself. I'd rather have them than be forever stuck with bugs that were unable to be zapped prior to a game's launch.
My main issue is that it's becoming increasingly common for obvious, glaring bugs make it into the release. Stuff that is just inexcusable and simply couldn't have been missed by the developers. My implication is that games are being released knowingly in these buggy states, and then the developers act like, "Oh, thanks for reporting these bugs! We'll hopefully have a patch out in a few weeks to address them!"

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get your frustration, OP. Fortunately, there are plenty of absolutely fantastic Switch titles that launch in a great state and those are the games I choose to support. Games like Ori and the Blind Forest, The Ninja Saviors, and Return of the Obra Dinn, to name three recent examples.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
extremely thorough play testing will still miss bugs, we had to do a patch for each console release after discovering issues we deemed important enough to fix for a perfect experience (mostly leaderboards display stuff honestly which is very hard to test pre release). So unless it's especially egregious I have sympathy for bug fix patches in modern games most of the time.

But the performance stuff definitely irks me when I see it in other games and it is especially prominent on switch due to its relative power and games often being designed without that in mind, it's not hard to look at your game and know it's just not running right.

Getting stuff to run at a solid 60fps on switch took us maybe 6-12 months, probably cost a lot in opportunity to get in before the market was as crowded as it is today, but the game and player experience is so much better for it.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand how ports of old ass games to Switch still come out with more issues than the original release. Grandia and Grandia 2? Tales of Vesperia? And games like Bloodstained, that shouldn't be taxing the system, just have way more issues than their other console brethren.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand how ports of old ass games to Switch still come out with more issues than the original release. Grandia and Grandia 2? Tales of Vesperia? And games like Bloodstained, that shouldn't be taxing the system, just have way more issues than their other console brethren.
Vesperia and Dark Souls both run a lot better than the original releases.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
That's how I feel about playing games on x1/ps4 and why pc is my main platform. But with switch, I'm more accepting of its shortcomings because of its form factor and portability.

Kholdy

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Yeah, OP, this shit is pissing me off.
I got Bloodstained as backer(yeah, joke is on me), Indivisible will release ...soon?
I also skipped Final Fantasies releases and Grandia because of reported bugs/performance.

I mostly getting games people recommend here, but always after release and some reviews.

I chose Indivisible and Bloodstained Switch versions, because they're not pushing insane shit and still got disappointed.

Well, to be fair, I actually believe Indivisible developers, I really think they're trying their best unlike that dick move Bloodstained guys pulled off.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017

The OP briefly mentioned day one patches but it seems obvious they're talking about games that remain buggy or perform poorly even after a day one patch.

They mentioned Skullgirls and Hat in Time as the reasons they made the thread, I don't know what the deal is with Skullgirls but Hat in Time is a mess on Switch. It's definitely the worst performing game I can recall playing in years, and not at all something I would consider common across all platforms.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I'd always had the opinion of 'lol Switch' when it came to ports, but it really was Bloodstained that disillusioned my other friend. I like the game well enough (got it on PC) but it for sure is not worth the extra wait he's had to take to get it running in a non garbage state on switch and he'll probably end up resenting it when he plays it and it's just 'OK'.

There have been some solid releases/ports, like Atelier Ryza, Destiny Connect and some indie stuff, but any game announced on switch, regardless of perceived complexity (the recently released Mistover, a 2d anime Darkest Dungeon-style game, runs at 60fps and it burns up my switch and the fans blare despite the game not really being all that graphically intense, so likely a cpu side thing), gets the side eye from me from jump, especially if the graphics are halfway decent. I remember my first words when Astral Chain was announced were "Wow, that is gonna run like ass!". Happy to have been proven well enough wrong, but I still have pretty little faith in switch announcements to this day.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Switch games in general have this issue where most developers optimize for acceptable performance when docked and handheld mode is an afterthought. Most portsthat are borderline on docked are just horrible on handheld.

Sexy brutale
Rime
XC2
Rocket league

(Many other 3D unity and Ue4 games specifically)

off the top of my head. If I dig through threads and DF videos I can find more (there are even more examples in my library but I deleted them for the most part).

Developers should target handheld as their minimum viable product. Not docked.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't help that Nintendo set a bad precedent when they launched the system with a badly performing port of Breath of the Wild, and never fixed it.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
That's why I hate the narrative of porting everything to Switch.

They almost always end up running like shit, not even worth it at that point if you own other platforms.

That whole "play wherever" aspect dies to me if the game runs like shit.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They mentioned Skullgirls and Hat in Time as the reasons they made the thread

I disliked all those mentions to Skullgirls because it's not telling us what's wrong with the game and it's a game I'm interested from a respectable indie dev. At least have the decency to vent what problems have.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, I thought as long as they're playable on the go everything becomes fine and should be forgiven?

This is what you get for giving them a pass and supporting the poor ports over and over again.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I disliked all those mentions to Skullgirls because it's not telling us what's wrong with the game and it's a game I'm interested from a respectable indie dev. At least have the decency to vent what problems have.
Sorry. The main issues so far are sound glitches everywhere during gameplay, with vocal cues overlapping and cutting out.

Also, despite advertising it in the friggin' Switch launch trailer Story Mode's voice acting is completely absent from the Switch version.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe.... don't buy Switch ports?

In a nutshell.

Even disregarding the port quality / cash grab or however you choose to perceive it, Nintendo have continuously been the platform holder with the most questionable perpetuity to game purchases. For that reason, I have less reason to buy games on the system and ignore many games in favour of other platforms - particularly ones with better offers / sales too. Pretty much only getting 3 or 4 1st party games and a few games that are so cheap and I know I'll play anywhere.

Importantly, looking at game purchases as an investment too, the potential of your library to suddenly becoming portable is obviously a thing of huge value, and on PC that's becoming more feesible at no cost via Link Anywhere or even just better laptops and tablets, along with potential Portable Systems in the works (and of course GPD Win). All this - and the port quality of Switch titles - just makes me double down on getting games on Steam

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The only two that really spring to mind as being unacceptable are Dark Souls for audio quality and Mutant Year Zero for visual quality.
There is no way these games should have released in this state.

Personally speaking, if you can't get your game running and looking well in handheld mode, just skip the Switch port altogether.

Ckoerner

Aug 7, 2019
Some what tangential but this is why I often wait a few months after a game is released before purchasing. Sometimes the devs can figure things out and a game ends up being just fine. However I agree that the axiom, "a bad game is bad forever" holds true and studios should take more care to make a good first impression.

Related, does anyone know if there's a site that reviews games not when they are first released, but say six months post launch? That would be an interesting way to review games in this day and age.

Last edited:

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It doesn't help that Nintendo set a bad precedent when they launched the system with a badly performing port of Breath of the Wild, and never fixed it.

It still has drops but they definitely patched it for the better. At launch the game was straight up pausing at times before the first patch hit. Now it's only the forest where the game struggles.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodstained pushed me over the edge. I grabbed a Lite but won't be buying future Switch games that aren't super cheap eShop sales or major first party games.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I need My switch cross saves with my Switch ports. The ability to carry over saves from my steam account to my switch would be amazing. More switch ports.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Hell, many of Nintendo's first party titles aren't doing much better. You've got 2D Kirby and Yoshi games with sub native resolutions running at 30fps lol. Fire Emblem looked (and sometimes ran) rough as hell too.