• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't going to be one of my long, detailed OP's with pictures, GIFs, etc. I just want to vent about the current state of affairs with regard to Switch ports, although the situation certainly applies to games on other modern platforms as well. I'm focusing specifically on Switch releases here, however, because that's where I find it to be an epidemic.

Okay, I get that the ability to patch games via the Internet on consoles has resulted in fewer resources being put into pre-release quality assurance testing in games. Before console games could be patched, developers/publishers had no choice but to thoroughly playtest their games lest they release a forever-broken failure into the market. Now, we all know the drill.
  1. Game releases, sometimes with an enormous day-one patch or additional large download required to get the game's full content
  2. The game performs like utter shit on Switch, so people immediately start posting, "Waiting for a performance patch." You know, as if the fucking general performance of the game is just an afterthought that can be easily patched weeks/months after release.
  3. Performance aside, people start reporting bugs. Oftentimes these aren't really obscure bugs that only crop up in edge-case scenarios. They're usually completely obvious bugs that the majority of players will encounter and notice within the first minutes or hours of the game. Once again, people just say, "Game is buggy, waiting for a patch to hopefully fix these issues."
How and why in the fucking fuck is this the new norm that we accept now? Games releasing in a state that suggests they were hardly playtested at all is just the new normal? I understand that this happens even more often with indie releases or ports, and they have fewer resources available to them for bug-testing prior to release than a bigger studio would. But it's becoming increasingly common for blatantly obvious bugs that even a casual observer couldn't miss making their way into the release build of a game. Then the devs will chime in with, "Keep those bugs reports coming. We're working on it!"

Consumers are just becoming free bug testers for these games. Hell, better than free. They pay full price as an early adopter just to offer up basic bug reporting to the developers.

I know I'm ranting, and I don't mean to demonize all developers who've struggled with buggy releases. Hell, I'd love to hear from a developer who could offer some insight from their side of the equation in this thread. But damn if this new normal isn't annoying as hell. Sometimes I honestly feel like "patch culture" has done more harm than good for console gaming.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Welcome to 2006 OP. This has been the norm on "next gen consoles" since Next Gen was the PS3/360. Well.... to be fair it more became the norm about halfway into that gen.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not just Nintendo lol, have you played the release date of the post of Square Enix games like Chrono Trigger, FF7, FF9 ??

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
1-3 apply to games released on other platforms, too, you know. Day 1 patch isn't some exclusive Switch feature.

WWE 2K20 is a disaster on PS4 and Xbox One right now.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still refuse to buy Dark Souls thanks to the compressed audio.
(edit) what's wrong with Hyrule Warriors? I bought the Switch version and it seems fine to me, much better than the Wii U version.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
OP really acting as if Day 1 patches, bugs or delays are Switch exclusive features.
Plenty of games nowadays have performance issues on base consoles and long ass's loading times.

Why would you expect it to be diffrent on the least powerful system based on a mobile SoC with even restrictions ?

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
I assume you didn't use the .0 releases or iOS or Catalina. Software is hard, and while developers should be spending more time, this isn't a problem only for Nintendo (or only game development).

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Stuff like Grandia II confounds me; there is no reason that a port of a Dreamcast game should be running as poorly as it does in certain areas.

And the Bloodstained situation is just... unfortunate.

I bought Valkyria Chronicles and I am just... sad that it has performance issues as well.

I have Okami HD on it as well and I'm going to flip some tables if it has issues as well; this game better not

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Mortal Kombat 11, Bloodstained, Wolfenstein: Youngblood, ARK, Saint's Row: The Third, RIME, Hyrule Warriors, WWE2k18
"Hyrule Warriors"

Huh? I put hundreds of hours into this version of the game and it runs and plays just as well if not better than both the 3DS and Wii-U versions.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get people who hate day one patches. Why y'all act like you weren't stuck with those bugs before patches were a thing? Games weren't released in some magical state of bliss with no frame dips and such.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
"Hyrule Warriors"

Huh? I put hundreds of hours into this version of the game and it runs and plays just as well if not better than both the 3DS and Wii-U versions.
Handheld mode. Game plays at 1080p when docked. Game also plays at 1080p in handheld mode, which doesn't suit handheld mode's lowered clocks, and results in bad performance. I can't say if it'd be an easy thing to fix or not, but I don't think it's unreasonable to say that it should have been fixed regardless.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
OP really acting as if Day 1 patches, bugs or delays are Switch exclusive features.
Plenty of games nowadays have performance issues on base consoles and long ass's loading times.
The OP only mentioned Switch games. Didn't say anything else about other platforms. How do you even know they own other platforms?

I don't get people who hate day one patches. Why y'all act like you weren't stuck with those bugs before patches were a thing? Games weren't released in some magical state of bliss with no frame dips and such.
Uh, as someone who has been playing games for a long time now, I can assure you games are launching in a buggier state than they ever did before. Developers now know they can "fix it later with a patch".

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
This kind of stuff happens on all platforms to be honest. No, it doesn't make it any less shitty, but it's certainly not some Switch only thing.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I kinda assumed this would be about Skullgirls.

I mean I just don't buy the ports with issues. And if I really want the game on Switch I wait.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
It was the recent releases of A Hat in Time and Skullgirls that pushed me over the edge toward making this thread. Just obvious bugs that the developers simply HAD to know were there, but they released it anyway.

As I said in the OP, I know that these issues apply to all platforms in today's market, but Switch ports in particular seem to release in buggy, under-performing states as a general rule. Everyone is trying to get in on that eShop gold rush, playtesting be damned.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
It sucks
Bloodstained seemed particularly suspicious given it released a week later. The week sure wasn't used to improve anything technically but it definitely gave them a great excuse to not send out review copies

The more worrying trend is multiple first party games this year that weren't up to par imo.
Yoshi's Crafted World tanked the resolution to run at an acceptable framerate.
Fire Emblem, Astral Chain and Link's Awakening all had shaky performance, with Fire Emblem also looking really bad

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Honestly stopped me triple dipping on Dark Souls. Moreso because Bandai Namco's support on the matter claims it's intentional and nessecary despite being proven otherwise by users showing there is plenty of space on the card for the original audio files and hacking them in themselves and iirc the same team had audio compression issues on another game and fixed it post launch.

The refusal of BN to even bother with it or acknowledge it outside of a support reply shrugging it off really soured me on buying it.

Edit* Just looked it up. Virtuous also did AC III for Switch and patched better audio quality in later. I guess it's one of their porting tricks?

Last edited:

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I know it's easy to focus on the problems, but there have been a number of big/successful Switch ports with little to no issues. I'm thinking Ori for starters.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are good ports and bad ports.

Don't buy the bad ports and be vocal on the publishers social media accounts. Buy the ones that are good and support devs who do great ports.

Most importantly, inform yourself about the ports in question before buying, so that it doesn't feel like a stab in the back.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same. Sucks that's the only reason why I only buy first party games on the switch still. Well mostly. I only like the portability for certain types of games like into the breach so most third parties are bought on Xbox

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Part of this is the quick and dirtiness of some of the ports, another part is that the Switch isn't as powerful as the current gen systems, so cuts have to be made. MK11 made cuts but it seems like it runs fine otherwise. It ended up being like MK9 on Vita compared to the PS360 cousins.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loading times on PixelJunk Monsters 2 is so bad on the Switch, completely put me off finishing it. Also refuse to buy it on any other system as a matter of principle. Now when I get a Switch game I look up on reddit to see if there are any performance complaints. Also still wondering how Dragon Quest Builders 2 only has a steady frame rate in handheld mode.

But yeah, speaking of bad ports, how about that frame rate on Link's Awakening?

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Part of this is the quick and dirtiness of some of the ports, another part is that the Switch isn't as powerful as the current gen systems, so cuts have to be made. MK11 made cuts but it seems like it runs fine otherwise. It ended up being like MK9 on Vita compared to the PS360 cousins.
Think the biggest issue with the Switch version is the same as the PC in that they are weeks, sometimes months until they recieve the same patches that PS4/Xbone get. The Kombat League exploit went largely ignored for Switch and PC whereas on the other consoles they fixed it within a week. Not sure if Switch misses out on the unique Towers of Time stuff like PC does(special events skip PC sometimes for whatever reason) and in general it is like being a second class citizen or at least you are clearly on the 'not preferred' platform. Kano still has big bugs on PC (and I'm guessing Switch because they are mistreated the same a lot of the time) where his damage scaling is borked.

What I'm getting at is it's treated like a bastard offspring rather than a competing platform to the point the big MK streamers are all really negative about the Switch version. Even PND Ketchup and Mustard who are usually pretty easy going comment that they can't imagine it being anybodies primary version, that it's best use is to quickly lab stuff out casually but even that is dependant on the version being up to date with current patches.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Loading times on PixelJunk Monsters 2 is so bad on the Switch, completely put me off finishing it. Also refuse to buy it on any other system as a matter of principle. Now when I get a Switch game I look up on reddit to see if there are any performance complaints. Also still wondering how Dragon Quest Builders 2 only has a steady frame rate in handheld mode.

But yeah, speaking of bad ports, how about that frame rate on Link's Awakening?
That's not a port. And not to downplay the framerate issues, they're noticeable, but they're not as impactful as with many (or really any) of the games listed in this thread. Game is still 60fps almost all of the time.

Deleted member 896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Think the biggest issue with the Switch version is the same as the PC in that they are weeks, sometimes months until they recieve the same patches that PS4/Xbone get. The Kombat League exploit went largely ignored for Switch and PC whereas on the other consoles they fixed it within a week. Not sure if Switch misses out on the unique Towers of Time stuff like PC does(special events skip PC sometimes for whatever reason) and in general it is like being a second class citizen or at least you are clearly on the 'not preferred' platform. Kano still has big bugs on PC (and I'm guessing Switch because they are mistreated the same a lot of the time) where his damage scaling is borked.

Yeah, I mean the problem here is just that the PS4/Xbox One versions are handled internally while PC and Switch are farmed out to different studios (QLOC and Shiver). The only potential fixes are to delay the PS4/XBO updates or bring the other versions in-house... which they may not be well-equipped to do. Ideally you'd hope for the latter, but barring that I feel like the only other solutions are going to be other things people won't like in the vein of simply delaying the launch of other versions until the content pipeline of the main versions is either complete or much more slow.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Witcher 3 also has noticibly compressed audio but it's way more forgivable considering the size of the game vs Dark Souls

Funny how it was a big deal for Dark Souls bit I've hardly heard anyone outside of myself even mention it in TW3. They could have at least provided an additional download for the full quality.

Cronogear

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls Remastered's compresses audio completely ruined the game for me. It looked and ran fine, but it sounded like I was playing it on a DS.

Deleted member 388

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not a port. And not to downplay the framerate issues, they're noticeable, but they're not as impactful as with many (or really any) of the games listed in this thread. Game is still 60fps almost all of the time.
Being cheeky by calling it a port but I'm honestly more impressed with how poorly it runs for a Nintendo published game. I'm still having fun with the game but I accidentally jumped into a pit hole this morning because it began to lag.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Yeah, I mean the problem here is just that the PS4/Xbox One versions are handled internally while PC and Switch are farmed out to different studios (QLOC and Shiver). The only potential fixes are to delay the PS4/XBO updates or bring the other versions in-house... which they may not be well-equipped to do. Ideally you'd hope for the latter, but barring that I feel like the only other solutions are going to be other things people won't like in the vein of simply delaying the launch of other versions until the content pipeline of the main versions is either complete or much more slow.
I kinda wish they just had a better process, like I suppose involving those devs while they are going through the patching process etc. I'm not sure why some patches seem like they are either delayed are just skipped until the next big one. Possibly hot fixes are just deemed not worth it but that's the attitude I suppose the OP is considering that some dev's(not all or even many! Tons of great ports) treating the Switch like some low rent junk machine that they can throw content at and not follow through and still expect the money to roll in is an attitude I hope we don't see more of as the power disparity of the consoles increases. I still have PTSD from the Wii's junk spin off output like Soulcalibur Legends ugh.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Not only does the OP make out a decade old issue as being exclusive to a 3 year old console, they also fail to provide any solid examples.

Discussion is a two way street here friend.

May 9, 2018
Handheld mode. Game plays at 1080p when docked. Game also plays at 1080p in handheld mode, which doesn't suit handheld mode's lowered clocks, and results in bad performance. I can't say if it'd be an easy thing to fix or not, but I don't think it's unreasonable to say that it should have been fixed regardless.
Hyrule Warriors still a solid 30fps on handheld, it's not a performance disaster like other games mentioned in this thread.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Horizon Zero Chase was great for about 8 hours until it started crashing every time I tried to keep playing races. I heard it was gonna get a patch and nothing a year later. I'm pissed too OP

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
OP, you bought a console with a wide power gulf between it and the main home consoles. Given that no publisher in their right minds would use the Switch as the lead development platform for multiplatform titles, you can expect downporting to result in the odd performance challenges or two.

there are pros and cons to the Switch strategy. Can't take all the pros and wish away the 'cons'

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Dark Souls audio isn't even significantly compressed, the Switch file size is actually larger than the 360 original. It's just badly mastered.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
OP, you bought a console with a wide power gulf between it and the main home consoles. Given that no publisher in their right minds would use the Switch as the lead development platform for multiplatform titles, you can expect downporting to result in the odd performance challenges or two.

there are pros and cons to the Switch strategy. Can't take all the pros and wish away the 'cons'
Many of these issues aren't due to system capability though, they're mainly just badly handled ports.

And anything that's not an MTX driven AAA release would probably be best served leading with Switch tbh. Look at Bloodstained, it's where the market is.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see as much talk as possible about new Switch titles whether they are ports or not, it just doesn't happen.

I am not saying Witcher 3 on Switch should be a GOTY contender (on second thought, that should absolutely happen :D ) but I'm always looking for old Steam forum posts about some games that should be at the forefront of discussion.

Let me tell you, the release of the back catalogue Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games is intimidating to a series novice because nobody is acknowledging them, and they would seem like the best fodder to talk about as most everybody has some sort of baseline.

I have historically disliked the time of the year when That One Event Game comes out and everybody is covering it, I often chose to shy away from hearing about it.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Oxenfree was so disappointing. It has really long load times and the game has mini stutters every once in a while. It's perfectly playable but those load times are atrocious. It's a shame because it is one of my favorite games.