• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
er6e5yh.jpg

I haven't watched this show since it aired.

Time to see how bad it is.

20 minutes in and man, it's bad...

Our first scene with Archer is him getting angry at the Vulcan's and convincing Starfleet to let him launch his unprepared ship to go deal with a warrior race.

Now. For great moments in continuity!

The episode starts with a Klingon being injured on Earth. This is Starfleet's first encounter with a Klingon. They don't even know their name until the Vulcans tell them.

2 scenes later. Archer goes to collect Hoshi while she's teaching a language class.

He interrupts her and lets her listen to a sample of Klingon so she can learn the language. Makes sense. No universal translator, she has to learn it.

REWIND 20 SECONDS AND TURN THE SUBTITLES ON!

fSrnmqH.png

She's literally teaching a class on Klingon...

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
It's gonna be a long road getting from the bad early episodes to the good ones at the end, but nothing's in your way.

Meta

Oct 29, 2017
captain-archer-scott-bakula-star-trek-enterprise.jpg

"Y'know....my father would always—"

ZzzZzzZzZzzzzz...

The Xindi arc is actually pretty good.

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
I recently did an essential episodes viewing of enterprise and overall the best I can describe it is the journey is better than the destination.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As far as pilot episodes go, I'd rate Broken Bow as second best, after Caretaker.
Emissary sucks and Encounter at Farpoint is kinda aged badly. TOS doesn't even have a proper pilot.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Only season 4 is good (besides the horrific finale of course). Just skip to that

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
I don't like the first two seasons. I watch seasons 3 and 4, when it got better. As far as I'm concerned, Terra Prime is the series finale.

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
I was a fan. Liked Enterprise a lot actually. I know that's a minority opinion. Sure would have enjoyed a couple more seasons because I especially enjoyed the last two.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
As far as pilot episodes go, I'd rate Broken Bow as second best, after Caretaker.
Emissary sucks and Encounter at Farpoint is kinda aged badly. TOS doesn't even have a proper pilot.
TOS's 2nd pilot is Where No Man Has Gone Before while the original pilot is reused for the Captain Pike episode.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are we sure about this?
It's definitely not Klingon both for story and the fact anyone who watches Trek should just audibly know it isn't.

Netflix seem to do their own subtitles or something, as someone who has watched every episode of Trek on it with subtitles on I've noticed all sorts of errors that just seem like someone did the subtitles by listening and writing them down, but they clearly misheard things fairly often, or in this case guessed badly.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone on this ship is so angry and incompetent...

Except for Hoshi and Reed. And while good at her job, Hoshi can't stand being in space...

Are we sure about this?
All the characters get better once they stop trying to graft them onto their TOS counterparts. Archer, specifically, works so much better as The Stoic than a Kirk wannabe.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TOS's 2nd pilot is Where No Man Has Gone Before while the original pilot is reused for the Captain Pike episode.
Depending how viewed the pilot is either "The Cage" which didn't actually air and was reused as you say, though sets now often include it as the pilot, alternatively you have "The Man Trap" which just lacks what a pilot episode should be with no setting up the show.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Depending how viewed the pilot is either "The Cage" which didn't actually air and was reused as you say, though sets now often include it as the pilot, alternatively you have "The Man Trap" which just lacks what a pilot episode should be with no setting up the show.

The cage and Where no one has gone before are the pilots. They don't set up the series like modern pilots do, but they existed to sell the show to the networks before full production could begin.

Last edited:

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I'm on Season 2 at the moment as well. From the Berman era it's the only one I never watched before now. It is a bit dull so far but not so bad. It does feel like a chose to get through though. Thankfully there are no crap holodeck episodes as filler so I haven't felt the need to skip much yet.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Where No Man Has Gone Before is the 2nd pilot. It just aired as the 3rd episode because of executive meddling. Airings outside of the US correctly aired Where No Man Has Gone Before as the 1st episode.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a long time...
It's been a long road, getting from there to here.
It's been a long time, but my time is finally near.
And I will see my dream come alive at last. I will touch the sky.
And they're not gonna hold me down no more, no they're not gonna change my mind.

Cause I've got faith of the heart.
I'm going where my heart will take me.
I've got faith to believe. I can do anything.
I've got strength of the soul. And no one's gonna bend or break me.
I can reach any star.
I've got faith.
I've got faith, faith of the heart.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I should watch the series sometime. My cable provider dropped UPN around season two or three. I think the last episode I saw was something involving time travel and Space Nazis? I don't remember. We switched to DirecTV around then, but by the time we did, it was well into the final season. The only episode I watched after the Space Nazis was the series finale.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Lower Decks callback made it all worth it, though.

Oh, and the sonic shower of course.

NSFW? It aired on network TV...
jUM8FVF.gif

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Like most Star Trek shows, it starts to get better in the second season and then starts to really hit its stride in season 3.

Also, NX-01 is one of the GOAT Enterprise designs, don't @ me.

OP
OP
DrForester

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Like most Star Trek shows, it starts to get better in the second season and then starts to really hit its stride in season 3.

Also, NX-01 is one of the GOAT Enterprise designs, don't @ me.

Not my favorite ship deisgn, but it's a great design. The more rugged, submarine-like interior was also good. Even loved the uniforms.

The show might be shit, but it was good looking shit.

Invictus

Oct 25, 2017
I would rewatch with you if I hadn't started a Battlestar Galactica rewatch today. It's not that bad. Season 3 is actually my favorite season of any Star Trek. I'm sure I'll get shit on for that opinion but whatevs.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Season 1 isn't great, but it's still probably better than the other series. Though it's been a while since I've watched it so it's hard to say for sure.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
I've doing it off and on for a year or two, since I never watched the first run diligently.

Its interesting to see how many episodes were written but the executive Producers themselves. And it's not really surprising that many of them seem very derivative if past episodes from previous shows.

honestly, the biggest thing I've noticed in the revisit is just how bad the cast is. Travis has an interesting backstory, but he has nothing to do but chauffeur the ship and the odd comment about boomer life. Malcolm is boringly mysterious and boringly work obsessed.

Also, in retrospect, making the Vulcans the antagonists must have had Roddenberry spinning in his grave. I'm a fanatic about how Vulcans should be portrayed and most post TNG writing seems to lean on making them flat out assholes with barely contained anger rather than making them dry, straightforward and sometimes bland.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Enterprise was fine for Star Trek. I have to be honest, Star Trek to me was never really great outside of maybe DS9 and even DS9 has some shit episodes but there's tons of crap in TOS, TNG and Voyager so I don't really think Enterprise is shitting up something that's otherwise been consistently great or some shit but coming 2 years after DS9 really hurts it.

I just feel so bad for how they treated T'pol and Hoshi. I don't think we ever see another Vulcan dressed as T'pol so it's super obvious what they're trying to do there and that stupid episode where Hoshi falls from the ceiling and her shirt's pulled off leaving her topless is the type of nonsense I'd expect from an anime, but TNG has the candle ghost romance nonsense and Troi getting raped by non-corporeal aliens and TOS's take on women is pretty fucking bad as well so I guess it's in the Trek DNA.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
I think Enterprise is both better than its reputation but also just kind of a big ol' miss for the most part.

There are plenty of good aspects to the show:
  • Production values.
  • Solid cast.
  • It is nice to see Trek get a little more of a dynamic style to it.
  • Like all Trek it gets better and eventually becomes straightforwardly good.

But it also has so, so many problems:
  • The "sexiness". Decon jelly rubdowns might be the lowest non-racist bit of Trek.
  • Trek's "progressive" qualities have always been two-sided when it comes to women and Enterprise is no exception. T'Pol might be one of the best characters but that doesn't stop the framing of Jolene Blalock's body or that inexcusable costume.
  • The solid cast is largely wasted on characters that never seem to get going. And even with that already said, the show tops itself with Mayweather who has to be the worst character of note in Trek history.
  • Archer sucks.