• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Nope. I'm vegetarian and still had an amazing time in Tokyo, Kyoto and Takayama. Takayama in particular was amazing. I had my favorite veggie burger ever there.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Gross. People like you are the problem.

You don't get to define anyone.

Eh it's just a matter of definition IMO. You really can't say you are vegan if you take holidays. Nothing wrong with that, just be truthful to yourself. No one is going to judge you. Or rather people probably will judge but who gives a fuck.

Last edited:

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate this kind of gatekeeping, it hurts the cause, and therefore hurts our fellow animals.

Any reduction to consumption of sentient creatures is a consequential benefit to those who would otherwise suffer. Every ethically minded person ought to reduce and eliminate such consumption as much as they are able.

If you relax your standards while on a trip to a place that would make this exceedingly difficult, you ought not be blamed for it, you have to eat. It's going to take a long time for human cultures to move beyond animal consumption.
bravo.

signed,
animal loving omnivore.

Oct 28, 2017
Oh yeah, there was a segment on NHK this very evening about veganism. I'm trying to find out whether it's available online. Vegans exist in Japan, come and meet some of us during your trip!

One of the companies mentioned is T's Tan Tan. They have branches of their 100% vegan ramen shop in Tokyo station, Ueno station, Narita Airport and Sendai, with a more general restaurant in Jiyugaoka. Their ramen is famous and popular with omnivores too. There are also many other restaurants serving vegan ramen, so you won't miss out there.

As for street food, not sure exactly what you are referring to as it isn't such a big thing here (walking and eating is kind of a taboo). But I can show you where you can try vegan takoyaki, okonomiyaki, etc.

Last edited:

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
I hate this kind of gatekeeping, it hurts the cause, and therefore hurts our fellow animals.

Any reduction to consumption of sentient creatures is a consequential benefit to those who would otherwise suffer. Every ethically minded person ought to reduce and eliminate such consumption as much as they are able.

If you relax your standards while on a trip to a place that would make this exceedingly difficult, you ought not be blamed for it, you have to eat. It's going to take a long time for human cultures to move beyond animal consumption.
Gatekeeping? Perhaps

My brother says he is vegetarian. Yet he will eat meat on the odd occasion for family dinners or at Christmas. That means he isn't vegetarian.

Someone who says they are vegan but then doesn't mind not going vegan on holiday, is not vegan.

I eat mainly veggie food - but I do eat fish so I am pescatarian. I can't call myself vegetarian.

You can have a mainly vegan diet, but you have to phrase it like that, rather than saying 'I am a vegan'. imo you're not if you're not going to stick the principles of said diet.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
You can have a mainly vegan diet, but you have to phrase it like that, rather than saying 'I am a vegan'. imo you're not if you're not going to stick the principles of said diet.

Veganism isn't just a diet, though. There's many vegans that follow the very strict diet that might still "disqualify" due to their clothes not being vegan, their bathroom supplies (shampoo, conditioner, makeup) not being vegan.

So if OP is doing their best to live a vegan lifestyle, why make up some arbitrary line ("can't take holidays!"). Why not just be chill and stop dictating what labels people can and cannot use?

Who is OP hurting by them calling themselves "vegan"?

Oh yeah, there was a segment on NHK this very evening about veganism. I'm trying to find out whether it's available online. Vegans exist in Japan, come and meet some of us during your trip!

But what if OP doesn't wanna meet and hang out fellow vegans? (No offense to you, of course)
Nobody is debating that it's perfectly doable to live a vegan lifestyle in Tokyo. That still requires a certain amount of research and pre-planning though.
OP is going to Tokyo as a vacation and they might be busy enough already trying to schedule everything they wanna see and do in Tokyo and make the trip worthwhile - i can totally see how they'd like to skip the whole "strictly vegan diet" thing in a country where
a) they have better things to do than schedule their meals around availability of vegan options
b) people speak an entirely different language and many aren't familiar with the concept of veganism.

Last edited:

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
If you've been a Vegan for over a year I'd be more worried about what introducing animal products suddenly into your diet would do to your digestive system tbh.
I'd be most worried about this. Vegan myself and Japan is a dream trip for me, I also worry I would miss out but I think ill take my chances not eating meat if I ever go. A bit disappointing, but idk if want to sit on the toilet all trip for risking a meal.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Each to their own - but my wife (who is vegan) stays vegan wherever she goes. No offence mate, but you're not really vegan if you can consider giving it up for holidays...

Yeah I agree. All depends on the definition but - personally - I'm a believer in sticking to your principles so you can't just turn your stances on/off like a tap. But hey, each to their own. You only live once and all that. Reflect on it and follow what's right for you OP.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I go on vacation, it's a departure from my usual every day life.

Diet, spending habits, activities, etc. Take a break from your usual routine and enjoy yourself.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Disclaimer: I couldn't go vegan even if I wanted to, so more power to you. But I find it weird how you're a seemingly convinced vegan yet you seem to be okay with throwing away your principles for a vacation. If you did it just for health reasons (which you did at first), then okay, but you also claim the animal aspect has become something you consider important to you now.

Oct 30, 2017
South Coast, UK
I disagree, the main problem is fish stock so being vegetarian doesn't help much. I guess you could eat some more bread from 7-11 if you don't care about bone char in the sugar refining process.

Hell I've found legitimate vegan ramen in Kyoto and Osaka, it's far from impossible. Pretty sure Mos Burger has extensive veggie options, too. Being veggie is more than just finding "meat alternatives."

Disclaimer: I couldn't go vegan even if I wanted to, so more power to you. But I find it weird how you're a seemingly convinced vegan yet you seem to be okay with throwing away your principles for a vacation. If you did it just for health reasons (which you did at first), then okay, but you also claim the animal aspect has become something you consider important to you now.

I'm sure this isn't the intent, but it's not nice to shame people for being lenient on their diet choices. I know plenty of vegans who have made drunken mistakes when it comes to food, and they admit that it's just something that can happen whether they intend it to or not.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you want to experience a bunch of other food choices, go for it.

You'd need to start reintroducing animal products into your diet now to be able to handle eating any of it while you are overseas.

You can also enjoy vegetarian and vegan dishes in Japan, so don't think you HAVE to eat animal based products.

In the end it is your body, your values, your choice.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Being a vegetarian in Japan is already difficult, but trying to eat vegan is on a whole different level.

Gaston

Oct 28, 2017
If you're in big cities you can go vegan pretty easily and still eat delicious food on your trip. I did it on my last trip and it was the culinary experience of my life. Happycow is a wonderful website for finding options.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I'd say don't be too strict about it because Japan can be hard for vegans and vegetarians . A lot of the ramen broths will use fish or meat based stocks, you probably wouldn't even know unless you asked. That shouldn't upset your stomach too much. Fish tends to be a bit easier to adapt to if you have to. I'm a "vegan" at home (mainly due to supporting my wifes choices) but when I travel for work I'm not religious about it depending on locale. I'll attempt to avoid red meat and chicken and dairy if I can help it mainly due to the potential for stomach upsets: dairy and red meat is worse for this. Hell even in the UK now if I'm pressed for time, I might pick up a wrap or sandwich which has mayo in it if I don't have a choice (it's a lot better now than it used to be but you can still get caught out, and sometimes frankly the vegan selection is too limited). If I'm at a restaurant and there's not a good vegan or vegetarian option (again rarer now that there is not), then I'll go for fish

Last edited:

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Fuck yes, who knows when you'll be back so enjoy yourself during that trip. Drop it a few weeks before the trip so that you're more comfortable.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I'd say don't be too strict about it because Japan can be hard for vegans and vegetarians . A lot of the ramen broths will use fish or meat based stocks, you probably wouldn't even know unless you asked. That shouldn't upset your stomach too much. Fish tends to be a bit easier to adapt to if you have to. I'm a "vegan" at home (mainly due to supporting my wifes choices) but when I travel for work I'm not religious about it depending on locale. I'll attempt to avoid red meat and chicken and dairy if I can help it mainly due to the potential for stomach upsets: dairy and red meat is worse for this. Hell even in the UK now if I'm pressed for time, I might pick up a wrap or sandwich which has mayo in it if I don't have a choice (it's a lot better now than it used to be but you can still get caught out, and sometimes frankly the vegan selection is too limited). If I'm at a restaurant and there's not a good vegan or vegetarian option (again rarer now that there is not), then I'll go for fish

Ramen broths should be chicken or pork based, I think.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Eh it's just a matter of definition IMO. You really can't say you are vegan if you take holidays. Nothing wrong with that, just be truthful to yourself. No one is going to judge you. Or rather people probably will judge but who gives a fuck.

It is extremely hard and expensive to be a vegan in Japan though. You cannot even ask them to change the menu because they won't. If you don't mind cooking for yourself everyday you should be fine but fruits and veggies are generally not cheap. If the OP is traveling around a lot and doesn't want/need undue stress on finding proper food they should just go vegetarian for their stay.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
We went for our honeymoon in 2013 and my wife had serious difficulty finding vegetarian options there -- ultimately she ended up eating a TON of egg salad sandwiches from Lawson, 7-11, Family Mart, etc.. I can imagine vegan would be *incredibly* difficult. A friend just spent some time there and said she found an app which indicated where veggie options were nowadays so I am sure it's a little easier than back then, but it's just not a way of eating that is common in Japan.

When my wife asked (in 2013) a lot of times they wouldn't understand her question and one time the person said no meat, just chicken when describing the dish.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We went for our honeymoon in 2013 and my wife had serious difficulty finding vegetarian options there -- ultimately she ended up eating a TON of egg salad sandwiches from Lawson, 7-11, Family Mart, etc.. I can imagine vegan would be *incredibly* difficult. A friend just spent some time there and said she found an app which indicated where veggie options were nowadays so I am sure it's a little easier than back then, but it's just not a way of eating that is common in Japan.
what about onigiris with umeboshis in it. its basically a riceball with seaweed and a pickled plum inside.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
It is extremely hard and expensive to be a vegan in Japan though. You cannot even ask them to change the menu because they won't. If you don't mind cooking for yourself everyday you should be fine but fruits and veggies are generally not cheap. If the OP is traveling around a lot and doesn't want/need undue stress on finding proper food they should just go vegetarian for their stay.

Sure but it sounds like OP is considering just diving in and eating Kobe beef and sushi.

Don't want to presume OP's financial situation but I'm guessing if they can afford a trip to Japan they could afford Japanese fruits and veggies.

I was there in December and it was very easy to eat vegetarian. I wouldn't be surprised if I ate some stuff with fish broth but I didn't knowingly consume any fish, cows, chickens, etc.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol don't waste your Japan trip being a vegan.

Shabu Shabu, Yakiniku, Sukiyaki, Gyoza, Yakitori, Sushi, Sashimi, Tonkatsu, Wagyu, Katsu Sando!

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Do whatever you want. It's your life. If you think that will make you enjoy your trip more, do it. You shouldn't give a shit about anyone else's opinion.

What you do have to worry about is whether your body will react well to suddenly eating meat again. Be careful with that.

Oct 28, 2017
Being a vegetarian in Japan is already difficult, but trying to eat vegan is on a whole different level.
Again, not true if you are a vegetarian who actually cares about eating bits of animals. I've been vegan for about three and a half years in Japan and lacto-ovo vegetarian the same amount of time before that. The only real difference is I no longer buy shitty anpan type crap from convenience stores (which likely aren't completely vegetarian anyway).

Most foods which are 100% vegetarian in Japan are also vegan. They don't have a tradition of dairy or eggs, and most products containing them also contain animal products. Anywhere that sells plain old milk or eggs has soy milk or tofu anyway.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Aside from what you WANT to do, being even a vegetarian in Japan isn't easy. Not a lot of restaurants offer veggie options. It's just a reality here. My friend is able to strong arm people into making veggie versions of what she wants, but she also eats very little, and sometimes just lives off some cabbage or some shit, so if you want to eat properly, not really the way to go.

Again, not true if you are a vegetarian who actually cares about eating bits of animals. I've been vegan for about three and a half years in Japan and lacto-ovo vegetarian the same amount of time before that. The only real difference is I no longer buy shitty anpan type crap from convenience stores (which likely aren't completely vegetarian anyway).

Most foods which are 100% vegetarian in Japan are also vegan. They don't have a tradition of dairy or eggs, and most products containing them also contain animal products. Anywhere that sells plain old milk or eggs has soy milk or tofu anyway.
I dunno man. Here in Osaka, I constantly have to do research to find places that have veggie options when I take out friends that are vegetarian. And Japanese people generally consider fish vegetarian for some reason if you try to ask for veggie options.

Oct 28, 2017
I dunno man. Here in Osaka, I constantly have to do research to find places that have veggie options when I take out friends that are vegetarian. And Japanese people generally consider fish vegetarian for some reason if you try to ask for veggie options.
I'm not denying you have to do research, but I've already done it and so I'm offering to share that knowledge. There are apps like happy cow and local Facebook groups that I have found so much helpful information from, including which restaurants are open to changing their recipes. There's a wonderful support network for vegans here, and whenever tourists come to our events they have a great time and leave with a lot of great tips and much less anxiety about the rest of their trip.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I'm not a fan of tonkotsu ramen but that's almost all you can find in London. You can get soy sauce base or miso based (miso is my favourite) - but I still wouldn't bet on it not having dashi or something added

Soy sauce and miso are chicken based. Ramen is "Chinese food," and the "dashi" is almost certainly chicken. It's not niboshi (sardines) or some other traditional Japanese base.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, it's up to you what you want to do..

but you are going to shit everywhere if you haven't been eating animal protein for a year.

OP
OP
HotAndTender

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
Thanks for all you inputs. I know i can go being a vegan no problem, knowing that veganism isn't as popular as it is in Europe is the issue so might be a scruggle eating the simplest things. I'm not going until April 2020 so have plenty of time to research.

And as many of the replies suggest, i wouldn't want to spend the 11 days on the toilet if i jumped straight back into eating meat.

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for all you inputs. I know i can go being a vegan no problem, knowing that veganism isn't as popular as it is in Europe is the issue so might be a scruggle eating the simplest things. I'm not going until April 2020 so have plenty of time to research.

And as many of the replies suggest, i wouldn't want to spend the 11 days on the toilet if i jumped straight back into eating meat.
The situation will probably be even better by then, a lot of places are increasing vegan options as the Olympics approach. Please let me know if you have any questions or want recommendations for various cities. I can probably put you in touch with local vegans anywhere that you're headed.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Yes. I eat 95% plant based, but in another culture/atmosphere/country I'll forsake my values just to experience something that I won't have a chance to for awhile.

OP
OP
HotAndTender

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
The situation will probably be even better by then, a lot of places are increasing vegan options as the Olympics approach. Please let me know if you have any questions or want recommendations for various cities. I can probably put you in touch with local vegans anywhere that you're headed.
That'd be incredible, thank you! I will be in touch

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan

I think the biggest struggle is just the cultural awareness of vegetarianism. It should actually be easier to be vegetarian in Japan, because of konbu as an ingredient for making broth, and how meals are centered around carbs rather than proteins. But because the idea of not eating animals to reduce animal suffering isn't a thing, it can be hard to navigate dishes where fish finds it's way in surprising places. Making vegan Japanese food for yourself is probably extremely easy. Finding it in the wild and ascertaining whether or not it's vegan might be hard.

I don't think you'll be stuck on the toilet from something that's been simmered in dashi.

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
This ramen place in Tokyo station has delicious vegetarian ramen if you end up staying Vegan.

Soranoiro NIPPON

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I think you will enjoy yourself a lot more and more fully experience the culture if you suspend your diet a bit. Ordering food everywhere is going to be a bit of a chore, and you might end up eating animal products anyway. I'm sure you can eat mostly vegetarian at least, but I wouldn't be hyper strict about it. Enjoying your food in japan is one of the highlights, so I'd recommend letting go for just your vacation

Oct 30, 2017

as i said in my post, that personally really wasn't a problem for me after 8 hardcore veggie years.

i just saw a poster for subway's "vegetarian sandwich" that actually meant "pork plus a lot of veggies" and gave up.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
I suggest try to be as vegan as possible. Hit up that poster in Japan that has tips for you how to do so.

If you can't go full vegan, just go vegetarian/pescatarian as needed to fill in the gaps. It is wonderful you are trying to forgo hurting animals- but don't make yourself sick to accomplish your goal. If you allow yourself broths and eggs (hidden in breads), you should be able to skirt by in a pinch.

Deleted member 20603

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just call yourself an aspiring vegan. It's okay to not be perfect in the pursuit of veganism, but to try in itself is a noble goal. Enjoy some ramen and other assorted foods, then transition back to a predominately vegan diet. By cutting back at all, you're still lowering demand for animal products and should be congratulated. Thanks, OP

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you've been a Vegan for over a year I'd be more worried about what introducing animal products suddenly into your diet would do to your digestive system tbh.
This came to my mind right away. I'd try to slowly get your body used to it over here before going to another country and going fully deep in