• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck man, I feel for you OP.

My knees are good, but dads knees suck ass.

And he is miserable. Hard for him to go or down any stairs. To bend down. Anything really.

I always wondered if there was something he could have done to prevent it or lessen the damage or if it was always bound to happen?

He wears braces which helps him.

Maybe check that out OP. Spend some money and get some professional braces?

Oct 25, 2017
31 now, been having to watch my weight more. Anytime I gain a few lbs I can feel it in my ankles and knees

Also, what everyone else said about exercise and whatnot

Nov 27, 2017
California
Yeah this year has been terrible for my knees

Exactly a month after I turned 30 my knee went to hell
Had water on the knee and have to wear a knee brace for work and ice my knees occasionally

I'm stretching out more and walking more but man it came out of no where.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Portuguese doctor here:
  • Lose weight (if you are overweight)
  • Get a physio/PRM doctor to get exercises for strengthening your arms and legs
  • After doing the above get a PT to hammer out your form
  • Get your work doctor involved to changed the work routine in a way so that you can rest after a certain amount of time
  • Also get a check up GP/PRM to see if you have an acute disease

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone's different but I got bad knee pain in my 30s (bad enough I started using a cane sometimes) and almost entirely fixed it via squats with careful form, slowly ramping up weight 5 pounds a session until I was squatting my bodyweight, 3 days a week for 6 months or so.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait till your back hurts....

Joint supps, omega 3, stretch

Endaeias

Jan 11, 2018
I'm a big and tall guy (6'5", 260-270lbs) and used to have a lot of issues with my knees (I'm also 35 years old this year).
I know this is going to sound ridiculous since you're going to be exhausted the moment you get home - but I would suggest doing some squats, stretches, and some light jogging. I started going to a gym (I suggest this if you can afford it) - began working out, doing squats and deadlifts, and my knee problems are gone. I've suffered between sitting down too much and being on my feet all day (conferences were nightmares but so was sitting at a desk for 18-20 hours straight).

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Truly Gargantuan
Before you do anything (especially pay money on snake oil and whatnot), go see a physiotherapist. Make sure to tell them what kind of work you do, and repeated movements that you do a lot. They might give you some good exercises to strengthen the muscles around your aching joints, for example. Whatever you do, stick to evidence-based medicine, not anecdotes.

You mention bending down a lot, this can't be good for your back either, maybe try crouching/squatting instead? Unless that's worse for your knees of course.

Edit: Also, lol @ 30 being old

Last edited:

Phineous_2

Oct 29, 2017
OP, your thread makes me feel good because I didn't start having knee problems till my mid to late 30's, so I feel lucky. But yeah, once the aging maladies start coming, they don't stop.

I turned 50 this year and can say that 50 is the year it all goes to shit, for real. Me and all my friends near my age are having issues and getting diagnosis out of the blue for serious shit like heart issues, cysts that need biopsies, diabetes... And its just gonna get worse. Makes me complaining about my back in my 40s seem quaint.

Aging is not all bad, but physically, it blows.

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
I was in your boat but i was younger (22-23) and had pain in both knees.

Losing weight ( This helped ALOT), being more active, and stretching every morning will help.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
If there's any way you can keep off even just 10 lbs you will see a big difference on ankle/knee pain. 10k daily steps, intermittent fasting are a few "easy" more passive things you could do to drop a few.

I went from 265lbs to 225lbs (didn't change my diet I just have to haul ass a lot more with a bigger family to take care of) and my knees/back as a 40yo dude are much better than I remember in my mid-20's.

OP
OP
Truly Gargantuan

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Truly Gargantuan
Before you do anything (especially pay money on snake oil and whatnot), go see a physiotherapist. Make sure to tell them what kind of work you do, and repeated movements that you do a lot. They might give you some good exercises to strengthen the muscles around your aching joints, for example. Whatever you do, stick to evidence-based medicine, not anecdotes.

You mention bending down a lot, this can't be good for your back either, maybe try crouching/squatting instead? Unless that's worse for your knees of course.

Edit: Also, lol @ 30 being old
I know of proper squatting/lifting technique and try to stick to it as much as I can. Also I said I'm /getting/ old. I'm not there just yet but the signs are there.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Shit, that was going to be my first choice

I'm not even 30 yet, but I've got some knee pain sometimes. For me, I've been told it's either my hip flexors putting pressure on my knees, or my core being too weak and radiating down to my knees. Either way, I've been told it's a muscle issue.

You could always put a figurative band-aid on it. Get some New Balance shoes, they're comfy as hell (or get a brand that doesn't support white supremacists, whatever, I'm not your dad) and they helped mitigate my knee pain.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I'm afraid he only real solution is to find another job. It will only get worse if you don't and no supplements or workouts can prevent that. That is assuming you're not overweight.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I know of proper squatting/lifting technique and try to stick to it as much as I can. Also I said I'm /getting/ old. I'm not there just yet but the signs are there.
That's good. But still, go see a physio! Don't wait too long, or damage will only get worse if you don't have this looked at.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The supreme fix: learn wing chun, its amazing for joint health ... but you know, hard to learn, harder to master, lifetime goal type of stuff

The boring fix: if youre overweight, lose some lbs, its harder on the knees. Do yoga, learn stretches, start doing localized workouts, learn how to pace yourself when you work and take breaks so youre not straining your legs for hours on end

Also, "getting old" at 30? lol, Im 37 so you must consider me close to death

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

Just recently turned 30 as of June.

giphy.gif

As for the issue at hand, Squats and Deadlifts have done wonders for my knees. They feel better at 40 than they did at 25.

Romars2021

Nov 1, 2017
Just recently turned 30 as of June. This past week my knees have been giving me trouble. My job requires that im on my feet all day, and I'm frequently bending down to grab things and/or lifting somewhat heavy objects. I already own a decent pair of walking shoes but I could probably get better soles.
Anyways... Any advice would be extremely helpful.

Probably you're just lacking strength. I'd remommend maybe some joint supplements and a low intensity work out regimen. Biking maybe. Its not gonna be fixed quickly but your knees can totally come back. Was the same way about six years ago myself. I'm 30 now, got a back breaker job and jog regularly and knees are great

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Taking a simple multivitamin actually helped me quite a bit once I started getting random hip and knee pains.

Oct 26, 2017
Truly Gargantuan

I second this. I was a very active kid and unfortunately my knees paid the price. I went 3 solid months in pain on one knee when I was 21. A physical therapist helped me, and now, just barely over 30, I barely ever have pain any more. More helpful than the exercises I was taught were the simple everyday movements to be mindful of. I go up big, winding stairs every day, and never thought about how I was making tiny pivots instead of full lifting and turning my feet was putting a lot of undue stress on my knees. It's all the little things you can learn and stop doing that will really help.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
Just recently turned 30 as of June. This past week my knees have been giving me trouble. My job requires that im on my feet all day, and I'm frequently bending down to grab things and/or lifting somewhat heavy objects. I already own a decent pair of walking shoes but I could probably get better soles.
Take a MSM tablet once a day. Usually I never can tell a difference with vitamins or that other stuff, but MSM absolutely has helped my knee pain.

Though, we may have different types of knee pain, but try it for 60 days and see how it goes.

Also, like others have said, stretching should help alleviate some of the issues.

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping there was a solution (short term or otherwise) since I hurt my knee just by getting on the ground. But I guess not. :(

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Strengthen your leg muscles with squats if you haven't already, otherwise pray that you can hold out for bionic augmentations.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Don't bend down to lift heavy objects, as much as your knees might hurt you now it's not even remotely comparable to the pain you might experience if you damage your spine.

Anyway, assuming there's no actual tissue damage, you might be experiencing pain because your supporting muscles are too weak and the joint has to overtake much more strain it otherwise would. It was the case for me when I was in my mid 20s, at one point it got so bad that even going downstairs almost made me cry by each step. I did manage to overcome it by exercising and improving my diet. I'm 32 now and haven't had any knee issues in the past 5 years. I haven't gotten super strong FWIW (I squat 110kg for 5 reps and can do several pistol squats), but it's miles better than the atrophied state my legs were in 5-6 years ago, so there's hope for you.

Again, better get your knees checked out by a medical professional, there might be other underlying causes.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lose weight if you are overweight. Also make sure you're not living in the cold at home.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
1- Next time you're picking something up evaluate yourself:

Check to see if your knees are going pass your toes when you bend down while picking up something
Usually if your knees are over your toes in that situation, it will put too much pressure on your knees, thus giving your knee pain.

Always try to position yourself so that your knees are behind your toes.

2- Fish oil/ healthy fats can help with joints.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
fuckin nothing. My knees and back have been hurting like hell since I was 21. I can't even enjoy a whole concert most of the time because I'm too tired to keep standing haha

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Buy some of those knee braces you find for old people in the local Walgreens or Target. (I'm just getting over a knee issue so I feel your pain)

lake

Oct 27, 2017
Dealing with this myself. Start with a good fish oil (this is one, imo), consider collagen supplementation (i like Great Lakes brand), and if you need more help try more joint-specific remedies like hyaluronic acid or the aforementioned glucosamine.