• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
I think a year after Smash Ultimate was released, we were able to change setting in custom lobbies WHILE in the game. Before, we had to kick everyone out, create a new room and invite everyone back in.

Image if Halo 2 custom matches did that? In 2004.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have actually held off on recommending that game to some friends knowing we wouldn't be able to play most of the games with three or four players. The lack of two players on one console being able to play online is also very disappointing. My girlfriend and I each have a Switch, so most scenarios are doable, but but that game could benefit so much from some features that should have been implemented to begin with. Hopefully we'll see a patch soon.

Me and my fiancé are stuck on a single system, don't think we play the Switch enough to justify getting a second system either (with the extra costs tied to extra copies and whatnot, especially). Sucks there's often so many limitations. Also, speaking of AC, I think you can't even play local co-op and online combined.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yes people have a right to vent. But it gets exhausting seeing the same shit rehashed without anything new being said.

Which is why the whole "Copy Xbox Live" on its own is a bad answer. The real answer should be, copy what the competition does well, but also offer your own ideas. Don't people actually want these services to stand out in terms of features and offerings?
So far I just see you trying to shut down discussion because you're tired of meanies picking on poor Nintendo without telling them how to do their jobs better
Man
It's not the customer's job to fix a multi-million dollar megacorp's product. The onus is on the toy company to make good toys. If you want to do unpaid market research for them, that's your prerogative, but if all you have to offer is whining about how others' criticism doesn't clear your own internal hurdle of constructiveness, you should probably bail on the thread, as zero people on this board voted for you to be the arbiter of what criticism is allowed to be brought against companies that make expensive toys

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I know they were very bad but i lost all hope after seeing this from them:

nintendo-switch-online-voice-chat-problem.jpg

Like what the fuck is that, seriously.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
a shared family plan is the only reason i pay for Switch Online since the service itself is so crummy it's barely worth $5.
it's telling when Nintendo's best online games right now are ports from Wii U. most of the Switch specific games have lots of issues and stuff.

multiplayer is something i like less and less with the pass of time so i guess it's not really that much of a problem since i do single player games mainly.

Holyoneturtle

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've been meaning to make a thread like this for awhile now, I feel the exact same way.

Also, can we bring up Super Mario Party and how we can't even play the regular game mode online? Like what's that about?
That really bugged me. I was so ready to get into super mario party and I had online friends who were waiting for it too. But once we heard it would be limited we just gave up on it. It's sad really because I usually enjoy my time with mario party games.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
It's arguable that they should've at least picked a better name for it on the Switch.

Regardless, while I won't argue people's grievances with the Switch's online currently. Seeing 20 damn threads on this topic every other week, on top of nobody actually coming up with ideas or compromises on how to make it better other than just "Make it like Xbox", and people making stupid claims like "IT's worse online than the DS" (Which isn't true) is just tired at this point.

The even worse part is that nobody actually offers any solutions. They just keep bitching about how much it sucks without actually listing what can make it better. At this point is complaining for the sake of complaining.
Are you seriously suggesting people should be telling Nintendo how to improve their service? That's Nintendo's job.

Tarpii

Oct 26, 2017
This thread is entirely justified. Nintendo used to be the go-to brand for local multiplayer, and I think that's been sadly neglected. The online service is a joke, they should have built on what they had created with Miiverse instead of binning it. Sony and Microsoft's online ecoystems are clearly more refined. The lack of a more mature online experience just reinforces the nintendo = for kids trope.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Fanboys are a plague. Honestly, expect and demand better from things you pay for. Every single platform has issues, and there is zero redeeming value in defending Nintendo/Steam/Xbox/whatever for their shitty practices.

With Nintendo, it's a laundry list of incompetence. There's a friend list on Switch, which I genuinely do not understand the purpose of. Adding people is a hassle involving a ridiculous code (remember chatting on ICQ in the 90s? Yeah.) I can't message people on it. I can't voice chat with them either. I can't join their gameplay session from it. Hell, there's first-party games which completely sidestep the friends list and have their own in-game contact list (Animal Crossing for instance). The console didn't even ship with a damn Ethernet jack, just to guarantee that most people in any given lobby are going to be on a garbage connection. And of course, the Switch uses some of the worst Wifi I've ever used in a modern device - slow speeds, terrible at roaming between access points...

It really feels like it's just not a priority. Which would've sucked but would still be fine... if they weren't charging money for it. But corporations will do the absolute bare minimum effort to make a dollar, which I get. Fanboys defending explaining and handwaving it all? That's just insane.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
This thread is entirely justified. Nintendo used to be the go-to brand for local multiplayer, and I think that's been sadly neglected.

No it hasn't.

Fanboys are a plague. Honestly, expect and demand better from things you pay for. Every single platform has issues, and there is zero redeeming value in defending Nintendo/Steam/Xbox/whatever for their shitty practices.
Agreed. Except nobody's really defending Nintendo's Online here, so why even bring this up?

Just hit ignore thread. This level of denial can't be healthy and is genuinely concerning and I'm not even trying to be funny saying that.
Who said I was in denial?

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul

With Nintendo, it's a laundry list of incompetence. There's a friend list on Switch, which I genuinely do not understand the purpose of. Adding people is a hassle involving a ridiculous code (remember chatting on ICQ in the 90s? Yeah.) I can't message people on it. I can't voice chat with them either. I can't join their gameplay session from it. Hell, there's first-party games which completely sidestep the friends list and have their own in-game contact list (Animal Crossing for instance). The console didn't even ship with a damn Ethernet jack, just to guarantee that most people in any given lobby are going to be on a garbage connection. And of course, the Switch uses some of the worst Wifi I've ever used in a modern device - slow speeds, terrible at roaming between access points...

It really feels like it's just not a priority. Which would've sucked but would still be fine... if they weren't charging money for it. But corporations will do the absolute bare minimum effort to make a dollar, which I get. Fanboys defending explaining and handwaving it all? That's just insane.

I agree with everything you wrote, but especially the bolded. The Wifi in the Switch is like, truly awful.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy with most of Nintendo's output but disappointed by the lack of good mp options outside of smash and Mario Kart. I'm mainly relying on good third party titles for the good coop/vs local experiences. I'm not even told concerned about online. My bigger concern is Nintendo not making enough good local 2-4p experiences themselves. There are even fewer that take advantage of the Switch's capabilities. The only two that spring to mind are pokemon (a very light 2p mode) and Super Mario party(some of the best minigames in the series lumped up with some of the worst boards in the series)

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
No it hasn't.

Agreed. Except nobody's really defending Nintendo's Online here, so why even bring this up?

Who said I was in denial?
Step 1: contest the assertion that Nintendo has dropped the ball on multiplayer
Step 2: assert that nobody is defending Nintendo here
*Make sure to follow steps 1 and 2 in the very same post for maximum effect.

BONUS: Step 3: make sure to state that you are not, in fact, in denial in the same post.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Step 1: contest the assertion that Nintendo has dropped the ball on multiplayer
Step 2: assert that nobody is defending Nintendo here
*Make sure to follow steps 1 and 2 in the very same post for maximum effect.

BONUS: Step 3: make sure to state that you are not, in fact, in denial in the same post.
Step 4: Profit

Oct 25, 2017
Well ... they got ARMS right for the most part. But there are definitely a good amount of games, mainly Pokemon, where I'm like "this was miles better on the 3DS".

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
The way Animal Crossing's online works makes sense to me. Note that this is not to say that it's good or that there couldn't be a better implementation of it that kept the same goals. But I can see the reason it works like it does; it's doing something very different than a game like UT is.

It is extremely concerned about the fact that all of the up to 8 people involved have their local save files in sync, with no items getting lost or duped. It also has a unique map being hosted by one of the players; I wouldn't be surprised if the entire point of the long waiting animation is just so the joining player has a paused world state to load.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
It's a shame that it's difficult to impossible to voice these concerns directly to NOJ.

It boggles my mind how a company that's spent decades in the business is so indifferent to improving the online functionality of their games.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The first thing they need to do is move away from p2p.

That said, I have played more multiplayer than I haven on Switch in part because of f2p service games like Fortnite, Warframe etc. All are good ports and exist on Switch, something that didn't exist on prior consoles.

This threads complaint seems like a reaction to clubhouse games not having enough online options than anything else.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed with OP. But what makes it even worse is that I have absolutely 0 confidence that anything changes with Switch 2 or what ever they make next. I just have no faith that they ever take the time and effort to fix it.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't say that their local MP stuff has really bothered me but that restriction on Clubgames sounds extremely dumb. Something to consider when/if my girlfriend and I get it.

As far as online is concerned, I've really only played Tetris 99, Splatoon 2 and Arms online and those online modes have worked relatively flawless for me so far. Smash Bros. Ultimate otoh might as well not have an online mode at all and Animal Crossing... well, let's just say that I'm glad that I am not a poweruser. It's definitely the one area where they need the most work and I'm not confident it's going to get much better at all.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
* Added Join Game Functionality
* Introduced Free Games like Tetris 99
* Rolled out Game Trials for full games
* Added SNES games after people were tired of NES games for a year

Baby Steps, but its something at least.

As much as I appreciate Tetris 99 and some of the NSO games (for a really low price if you share a family subscription), I don't think this stuff really makes up for some of the more glaring omissions and really weird design decisions when it comes to online modes. Smash Ultimate is more of an issue with netcode rather than their online system per se but it's pretty obvious that the online experience on Switch isn't nearly as pleasant as it could and should be. And as others have already outlined, in some aspects it's even a step back over the Wii U which is honestly just baffling. The time for baby steps was a decade ago.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
Online I can understand. But local? Nintendo is the best way to go when you want to invite some friends over

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
, I don't think this stuff really makes up for some of the more glaring omissions and really weird design decisions when it comes to online modes. Smash Ultimate is more of an issue with netcode rather than their online system per se but it's pretty obvious that the online experience on Switch isn't nearly as pleasant as it could and should be.
Not disagreeing, but a lot of the problems people are expressing here with games like Animal Crossing, are game specific. The Service itself has problems, but you can't fix an online service if you can't also fix the games that don't do online well either. In any case, it's inaccurate to say that Nintendo isn't at least improving the service. There's still a lot more to do, but they aren't doing nothing like people here like to say. However, more of their games need to have better options, and games with poor netcode shouldn't even be a thing from them. Ultimate's online is crap, but that's because Sora/Bamco can't code a good Smash netcode if their lives depended on it.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not disagreeing, but a lot of the problems people are expressing here with games like Animal Crossing, are game specific. The Service itself has problems, but you can't fix an online service if you can't also fix the games that don't do online well either.

I think when people criticize Nintendo's "online" they talk about the online experience in general, not just the "system". To the average user the distinction is completely meaningless anyway so I don't think it makes much sense to talk about semantics or technicalities.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I always see this types of threads and I haven't had problem with Switch online. Pokemon( the battles) run fine, the world is the one that lag, but I think that's more the game than the online. My experience with Smash is that is has gotten better, at first there was a lot of lag, but I try at least to play between 15-20 matches a week and if I get one or two matches with lag is a lot. My wife has played CTR for more than 800 hours and the online looks fine, no problem other than people quitting. AC is clunky as hell, but my guess is, that that is the charm of the game. Mario Kart is awesome and haven't heard problems with Splatoon. The only two games that complains are there is Smash and multiplayer Mario Maker, which I never played. I only play other people's courses.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Nintendo needs to step it up and get with the times. Animal Crossing might be one of the most archaic implementations of online I've seen in a modern game. Great game but the online is just dreadful and tedious in every possible way.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I've been fed up with them since the Wii. Online Brawl was a crushing disappointment on top of their failure to match industry standards for basic online service offerings (no chat, friend codes, terrible shop, etc). They're still more committed to local MP than any other company, for which I give them due credit, but I have no expectation when I buy a game or system from them that the online mode will be worth consideration. I don't even trust their ecosystem enough to buy games digitally. They simply don't give a fuck.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's truly sad how for behind nintendo continues to be when it comes to online for their games. It feels like what we do have, nintendo was dragged kicking and screaming to have to do in the first place.

This feels like the right place to ask but... have any games even taken advantage of the system level invite tab that was introduced last year?
The new Borderlands Collection does I think.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
User Banned (1 week): Threadwhining, platform warring across multiple posts
I think when people criticize Nintendo's "online" they talk about the online experience in general, not just the "system". To the average user the distinction is completely meaningless anyway so I don't think it makes much sense to talk about semantics or technicalities.
Which just proves that the whole situation regarding criticism of Nintendo Switch Online lacks nuance. Which is the point I've been trying to hammer home. People regarding Nintendo's online just say the same shit over and over, with nothing new being said. And I get it, you want to vent and that's fine. But if you're just going to keep complaining about it and not offer anything of substance, then what's the point?

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
Ultimate's online is crap, but that's because Sora/Bamco can't code a good Smash netcode if their lives depended on it.

But you can tell by the way Nintendo manage e-sport that being dropped by the biggest fighting event of the year is more likely good news for them.
They won't fix smash online. Smash is a local multiplayer game. Why would people play online?

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Which just proves that the whole situation regarding criticism of Nintendo Switch Online lacks nuance. Which is the point I've been trying to hammer home. People regarding Nintendo's online just say the same shit over and over, with nothing new being said. And I get it, you want to vent and that's fine. But if you're just going to keep complaining about it and not offer anything of substance, then what's the point?

I think we can start asking for nuance once Nintendo gets their "online" (system and experience in general) to a level where it compares at least somewhat favourably to what the competition is offering.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
But you can tell by the way Nintendo manage e-sport that being dropped by the biggest fighting event of the year is more likely good news for them.

Oh Joy, the "Nintendo hates competitive Smash" nonsense again that has no actual basis in reality.

I think we can start asking for nuance once Nintendo gets their "online" (system and experience in general) to a level where it compares at least somewhat favourably to what the competition is offering.

And that starts with people actually exchanging ideas and suggestions with each other on what they think should be fixed. If you're going to be complaining about Nintendo's online for the 30th time, you might as well offer any ideas on how to fix it.

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017

Yup, completely agree. Nintendo's online is so insane I don't get how anyone can pay for it and say it's worth it (regardless of price). Online clearly isn't a priority with them. Fortunately I only really play SP games, or local co-op with 1 other. For anything online, no thank you.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
I just payed 20€ to play Animal Crossing with my friends and it was one of the worst experiences trying to connect to someone and getting it started just to realize how barebones and limited it is. And well Co-op was a miserable experience as well. I dont get how this game just dont support cloud saves at all and if your Switch breaks all saves are gone. What the hell im even paying for?

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And that starts with people actually exchanging ideas and suggestions with each other on what they think should be fixed. If you're going to be complaining about Nintendo's online for the 30th time, you might as well offer any ideas on how to fix it.

Most of the solutions are already "included" in the criticism because they are basically just the opposite of the issues:
  • The Switch doesn't have system-level voice chat for first-party games --> have system-level voice chat for first-party games
  • The Switch doesn't allow you to message friends on your friend list --> allow messaging for friends on your friend list
  • etc.
Then there's the fact that most of the issues have already been figured out ages ago (some of them even by Nintendo as well before they went back to more archaic solutions on the Switch). People don't have to suggest solutions because they exist out there and have existed for over a decade.

It's been over three years since the Switch has been out and some of the most egregious issues still persist and somehow Nintendo keeps introducing new stuff so there's really nothing left to do but to either keep complaining or just shut up.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Then there's the fact that most of the issues have already been figured out ages ago (some of them even by Nintendo as well before they went back to more archaic solutions on the Switch). People don't have to suggest solutions because they exist out there and have existed for over a decade.
Then what's the point of making yet another thread about this? I mean, I get being vocal about an issue, but I swear, this is 7th thread this month about Nintendo Online being bad, and nothing new hasn't been said. Its beating a dead horse at this point.