• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Apr 19, 2018
Germany
So i'm getting a XBOX One this week, my first XBOX since the original. Since i never had a 360 and One until now i'm guessing i missed some exclusives over the years and so i wanted to ask which i should definitely check out. On my list so far i have:

- Halo franchise (Only ever played the first game)
- Gears franchise (Never played any of those)
- Forza Horizon 4 (any other Forza games worth checking out?)
- Ori and the Blind Forest
- Lost Odyssey
- KOTOR (played it once on PC years ago, definitely want to replay it)

Games i played before on PC are Quantum Break and Ryse: Son of Rome. I'm also a bit of a scaredy cat so i usually don't play Horror/Creepy games so i'm not sure about games like Alan Wake, State of Decay and Dead Rising (i guess it depends on how creppy they are!?).

So yeah any other (backwards compatible) 360 and One exclusives i should check out?

EDIT: I do have PS3/PS4, Switch and PC. So it's likely i played most of the Multiplatform games that came out on 360 and One, so this is really only about exclusives.

Games i added to my list after being mentioned in this thread: Sunset Overdrive, Cuphead, Rare Replay, Blue Dragon, D4, Forza Horizon 3, Fable games.

Last edited:

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Don't miss Sunset Overdrive. It's by the makers of the recent Spider-Man game and it's fantastic.

Also, since you mentioned backward compatible games, Metal Gear Rising is a must play if you haven't already. It's not an exclusive, but still.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Rare Replay and Killer Instinct.

Edit: Forza Horizon 3 is fantastic too, but I'm not sure if playing it back to back with FH4 would be fun in the long run. Depends on how much you like racing/car games, I guess.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Just making sure you're aware that there's usually a month (or multiple months) of gamepass ultimate (for 1$) in the box. - just so you don't buy any of those games (or gamepass) in advance.

OP
OP
Exist 2 Inspire
Apr 19, 2018
Germany

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Cup head, the fable games if you're into rpgs, maybe blue dragon if you like jpgs, sunset overdrive, rare replay, and dont sleep on Alan wake, it is scary but not like PT scary, just mostly tense situation. Dead rising and state of decay 2 aren't really scary at all imo.

There's also sea of thieves and bleeding edge if you're into multiplayer or PSO2 or Bless unleashed if you like mmos

If you've never had a ps3 or 4 there are many non exclusives too but not sure since you only mention pc, but just so you know EA access on Xbox is better than ea access on ps4 you get all of EAs 360 games as well as the newer stuff so between that and gamepass theres more games than anyone needs. Many are enhanced for S and even more for X. You could play Dante's inferno which never made it to pc just ps3 and 360.

Last edited:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Might want to list what platforms you own, like you have a PC, but do you have a PS4 and Switch?

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
get gamepass for sure.

what remains of edith finch
oxenfree
afterparty
subnautica (if you have an X)
my time at portia
final station
rare replay (viva pinata 2!)

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Ori 2 after you're done with Ori :P

Geometry Wars 2 for an amazing twin stick shooter

Dead Rising is not really horror

it's like goofing off with your high school friends but with zombies around you and sometimes they're dangerous and need to die... or be forced to wear masks

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you think you can handle it, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice in a dark room with headphones on

I'm a scaredy cat too OP but it was worth it

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Ori Will of the Wisps is about to come out so play the original if you havent and then play the enw one :D they are amazing

OP
OP
Exist 2 Inspire
Apr 19, 2018
Germany
Might want to list what platforms you own, like you have a PC, but do you have a PS4 and Switch?

Added it to the OP. I do have PS3/PS4 and Switch. I also have a PC but it's pretty old by now so i would prefer to play stuff like Halo and Forza on the XBOX. So yeah when it comes to multiplat i probably played it before, this is really only about XBOX exclusives.

From the thread so far i have added Sunset Overdrive, Blue Dragon, Cuphead, Rare Replay and the Fable games to my list.

Last edited:

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I think Halo Wars (both 1 and 2) is underappreciated, but you need to enjoy strategy/RTS.

Did you get an S or an X? If you got an X, don't have a great PC, and haven't already played it, Witcher 3 on Xbox One X is a fantastic version of the game.

Definitely don't miss out on all the 360 back compat titles, just scroll through the list sometime. A ton there for folks who didn't own a 360.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, personal take that many might disagree with:

Gears 3 and 5 are probably the Gears games worth playing the most. I never completed 1 or 2 (I think), and 4 was kind of meh. You could honestly just play 5 if you don't care too much about story.

I also personally enjoy Forza Horizon 3 way more than I did 4.

OP
OP
Exist 2 Inspire
Apr 19, 2018
Germany
I think Halo Wars (both 1 and 2) is underappreciated, but you need to enjoy strategy/RTS.

Did you get an S or an X? If you got an X, don't have a great PC, and haven't already played it, Witcher 3 on Xbox One X is a fantastic version of the game.

Definitely don't miss out on all the 360 back compat titles, just scroll through the list sometime. A ton there for folks who didn't own a 360.

Oh yeah i'm definitely going to check out Halo Wars, those games always looked pretty cool. I did get an S and i already played Witcher 3 on PS4.

Also, personal take that many might disagree with:

Gears 3 and 5 are probably the Gears games worth playing the most. I never completed 1 or 2 (I think), and 4 was kind of meh. You could honestly just play 5 if you don't care too much about story.

I also personally enjoy Forza Horizon 3 way more than I did 4.

Hm i would probably try to play all the games for the story but i will keep it in mind. Also adding Forza Horizon 3 to the list it seems to be quite popular.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's aged quite a bit visually at this point, but definitely check out Sunset Overdrive if you like superhero games, tony hawk, or ripped jeans. The humor is definitely not for everyone and borders on the worst of Deadpool, but overall it's pretty enjoyable.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I might have a spare code laying around at home for Gears 1 Ultimate Edition (I think?). I also think I may have a spare code for the Master Chief Collection, which includes Halo 1-4 (I think Reach and H3:ODST were $5 each past that).

If you're interested. I'm not in a position to look right now, but will be tomorrow.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Are you someone with friends you'll game with frequently? Sea of Thieves can be a really great experience - particularly IF you have crewmates you can play with.

And as I'm sure other people have already mentioned, Game Pass is a must have. It'll give you "free" access to a massive chunk of Microsoft's exclusive output for the console right off the bat (and going forward), as well as a really solid collection of other games.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
if you don't have a year of Gold, buy a code for a year (or more if you can afford it) then take out the GamePass Ultimate ÂŁ1 (or whatever your local is) offer. It will convert your remaining gold to Ultimate. I got over two years of GamePass like this for ÂŁ1.

Recommended GamePass games: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice; Prey; What Remains of Eden Finch; The Outer Worlds; Doom

Wonkertonk

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 15, 2019
Warwick, England
Are we talking strictly exclusives, OP?

Edit: Sorry, just noticed that you've already answered that.

I'd say your original list is about it to be honest.. Oh, and Sunset Overdrive.

OP
OP
Exist 2 Inspire
Apr 19, 2018
Germany
I might have a spare code laying around at home for Gears 1 Ultimate Edition (I think?). I also think I may have a spare code for the Master Chief Collection, which includes Halo 1-4 (I think Reach and H3:ODST were $5 each past that).

If you're interested. I'm not in a position to look right now, but will be tomorrow.
Are you someone with friends you'll game with frequently? Sea of Thieves can be a really great experience - particularly IF you have crewmates you can play with.

And as I'm sure other people have already mentioned, Game Pass is a must have. It'll give you "free" access to a massive chunk of Microsoft's exclusive output for the console right off the bat (and going forward), as well as a really solid collection of other games.

Sure that would be awesome, thanks. I'm not much of a MP player at all and i'm guessing Sea of Thieves doesn't really work for solo play? Also yeah i will get Game Pass for sure. There is a month of it in the bundle i think.

Are we talking strictly exclusives, OP?

Yes.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
If OP wants to play an exclusive jRPG, I'd suggest Lost Odyssey instead.

And the Xbox BC is the perfect chance to play some 360-era games you could have missed: have you already played Red Dead Redemption 1 ?
I already saw Lost Odyssey in his list. I loved both games myself though. Blue Dragon was like how I wanted a modern Dragon Quest to be (at the time).

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Sure that would be awesome, thanks. I'm not much of a MP player at all and i'm guessing Sea of Thieves doesn't really work for solo play? Also yeah i will get Game Pass for sure. There is a month of it in the bundle i think.

Okay, I'll try to remember to dig up those cards with the codes and confirm what they are. If you don't hear from me send me a msg or something on here, as I tend to forget things a lot, haha.

Sea of Thieves can be played solo, but it's unofficially considered to be the game's "hard mode", because you're more vulnerable and have to balance more tasks at once.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Asura's Wrath
Hellblade
Metal Gear Solid HD Edition
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden II
Outer Wilds
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Radiant Silvergun
Sunset Overdrive

Jan 4, 2018
So i'm getting a XBOX One this week, my first XBOX since the original. Since i never had a 360 and One until now i'm guessing i missed some exclusives over the years and so i wanted to ask which i should definitely check out. On my list so far i have:

- Halo franchise (Only ever played the first game)
- Gears franchise (Never played any of those)
- Forza Horizon 4 (any other Forza games worth checking out?)
- Ori and the Blind Forest
- Lost Odyssey
- KOTOR (played it once on PC years ago, definitely want to replay it)

Games i played before on PC are Quantum Break and Ryse: Son of Rome. I'm also a bit of a scaredy cat so i usually don't play Horror/Creepy games so i'm not sure about games like Alan Wake, State of Decay and Dead Rising (i guess it depends on how creppy they are!?).

So yeah any other (backwards compatible) 360 and One exclusives i should check out?

EDIT: I do have PS3/PS4, Switch and PC. So it's likely i played most of the Multiplatform games that came out on 360 and One, so this is really only about exclusives.

Games i added to my list after being mentioned in this thread: Sunset Overdrive, Cuphead, Rare Replay, Blue Dragon, D4, Forza Horizon 3, Fable games.
The rest of posters have already recommended all games that came to mind, so I'll just make a little clarification for you regarding horror/creepy games:
Alan Wake: To me it's not horror, more psychological pressure than fear (you might perceive it differently depending on how easily you're scared. That applies to the other 2 too)
State of Decay: Not a single jumpscare on the game (if you have a minimum of situational awareness. If you don't pay attention to your surroundings then it can happen)
Dead Rising: Absolutely not scary. Zombies are there just to give you a target but are slow and not clever at all. Their only danger comes from numbers

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Game Pass for sure.

The list you have will set you for a good few months.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
When I saw Lost Odyssey in OP, I immediately thought I should mention that you give Blue Dragon a try too, but it looks like it's been mentioned a couple times already.

Yeah, I guess Alan Wake is kinda creepy, but I wouldn't call it a "scary game." It's probably really cheap physically, but I've seen it go on sale for big discounts in the past on the Xbox store (actually not sure I've seen it go on sale since it got delisted and relisted, though). The 20 dollars it's priced at on the Xbox Store now, I feel is asking a lot.

I think I actually prefer Forza Horizon 3 over 4, but I guess as long as you check out one of them.

edit: Ooh! Ooh!
Ninja Gaiden II on 360

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Too many games to list, especially without knowing what you did/didn't play last gen, on PC or even what genres you like/don't like.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
I was in the same position last year, I was just about to jump back in the xbox eco system and I was trying to map out all the exclusives.

Honestly, just get Gamepass and take it from there, you will get the chance to play a bunch of games that you never considered buying and you will probably fall in love with some of them.

As for right now, Id just start with Ori considering that the sequel is just about to drop.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Tough question given that the system is backwards compatible, plus game pass is an option. You should look around at what the system has to offer. Is it an XBOX One X? If it is, play Control! If you haven't played it on PC yet, that is. I want to play it on console for achievements, but no way is my XBOX One S going to run it well at all. Off the top of my head here are some games I played that I'd recommend. Note they are not exclusive (usually):

Mortal Kombat X
Bleed 1 & 2
Rare Replay
Killer Instinct
Dark Souls: Remastered
Hitman 2
Resident Evil Origins (which contains REmake and RE Zero)
Slay the Spire
Batman Arkham series
Blue Dragon (if you're into RPGs)

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
- Halo MCC is a must, not only for the campaigns but in my opinion its the best multiplayer game this generation
- The Gears of War series is great, even better with a friend.
- Quantum Break is a great game with a great story
- Forza Motorsport 7 is also a pretty enjoyable racing game, but unless you're a fan of racing games then I would really just stick with Horizon
- The first Psychonauts is a great game as well (you would have to buy the OG Xbox version, so since you have a PS4 you might prefer that, but since Psychonauts 2 will launch day one on Gamepass I figured I'd include it anyway, having both games on one box is something I like)
- Sunset Overdrive is a blast, and unlike a lot of other games
- Rare Replay has a lot of pretty fun games, and is a great way to experience many retro games
- State of Decay 2
- Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden 2
- The Splinter Cell games (I know the 6th gen games got an HD port on PS3 which you own, but those had a lot of problems and were not worth buying, which is why I am recommending them)
- Panzer Dragoon Orta
- Too Human is clunky and has lots of missing potential, but is absolutely worth a playthrough (its also free digitally because of a crazy lawsuit)
- KOTOR 2
- Star Wars Republic Commando
- Morrowind (but really, just play it on PC if you can)
- Divinity 2 (not original sin)
- ReCore is also honestly worth a playthrough
- Ryse Son of Rome

I know you said strictly exclusives but I still included games with PC ports and games that I think got PS3 or PS2 versions because the best way to play them is on the Xbox One. I hope you enjoy the Xbox One eco-system and can get used to the controller over the Dualshock since they feel like radically different controllers (at least to me)