• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I'm getting a PS5 and it will primarily be used on my main TV, but I'm also keeping my PS4 to use in a guest room for TV/movies/games. There will be times when my main TV will be occupied by my husband as he will play video games, watch TV, etc. I understand that certain games will have free upgrades to PS5, while others will basically be different SKUs. Would it make sense to buy PS4 games that have PS5 upgrades so that I can transfer the game/save data instead of unplugging and plugging the PS5 console and lugging it around the house? Is that even a feature that I can do with a PS4 and a PS5?

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I have the same question as OP and I think for now it seems safe to buy PS4 games, maybe later we may have to rethink it. And I say this without the intent to transfer save games, but let the kids play the games on the PS4 and I play on the PS5. Say Sackboy.

Last edited:

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
If said game is getting the upgrade sure why not. The question is how many games will they be telling us right now will be getting the upgrade as I think the list now is pretty small.

ZeroCoin

Oct 26, 2017
I think it really depends on the game. Several PS4 to PS5 games that will be getting a free upgrade will not have a save transfer feature. Even those that do, I'm not sure if they will be able to float back and forth between PS4 / PS5, or if it's a one time transfer from PS4 to PS5. Unfortunately neither Sony or the developers have done a great job of really laying out what we can expect.

Personally I've tried to prioritize getting the PS4 games that will have free upgrades, especially multiplayer games like Avengers, as that may open up a way to play with another person in my house. I'm also considering picking up Miles Morales on PS4 and then upgrading later to get the remastered original if I feel like it.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Would it make sense to buy PS4 games that have PS5 upgrades so that I can transfer the game/save data instead of unplugging and plugging the PS5 console and lugging it around the house?

No not really. A lot of games don't support cross-gen save compatibility. So it depends on a game to game basis.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It probably would be please double check cross-save/save transfer eligibility. Some games don't support it and you need to know.

Sackboy, for example, doesn't support transferring your saves from PS4 to PS5 at launch but it will be patched in later.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a reason to keep the PS4 apart from playing the few games that won't be BC? Genuinely wondering because my plan is to sell my PS4 after finding out all my games will run on PS5.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason to keep the PS4 apart from playing the few games that won't be BC? Genuinely wondering because my plan is to sell my PS4 after finding out all my games will run on PS5.
I'd recommend selling ASAP. I think second-hand prices are going to tank once the market gets flooded with people trying to sell.

Rurmelly

Jan 31, 2018
If you care about resale, it might be better to get ps5 version (if theyre the same price) as that will more likely retain value in resale compared to ps4 copy.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I was just debating that with Immortal Rising or whatever that Fenyx game is.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Depends what's most important to you:

1) Having both the PS4 and PS5 versions.

2) Having the PS5 version on a disc.

If you're getting the PS4 versions (with free upgrades), you'll have the PS4 version on a disc and it will download the PS5 version when you upgrade. If you're cool with that, then get the PS4 versions.

OP
OP
G_Shumi

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Alright, it sounds like I should get the PS4 versions then. I'll get them physically since I typically buy PS4 games physically, and inserting them into my PS4 or PS5 is not a problem at all. Again, it's a lot easier to carry a game from room to room than it is a console, especially one as heavy as the PS5.

Obviously, it'll be on a game-by-game basis, but I do research on games I'm interested in, so that shouldn't be a problem. It was just kinda confusing with how Sony was handling everything regarding cross-gen games and backwards compatible games in general.

Thanks everyone!

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I assume most would be releasing same day on both consoles, so even if cross-save doesn't work, might as well go with the ps4 version since it's cheaper.

If there is a release date gap... I'd probably still go for the cheaper one lol

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Something I need clarification on is if I can bounce from PS4 to PS5 and back again and keep the same save file.

I'll have Spider-Man Miles Morales and Cyberpunk PS4 physical disk versions. Has it been confirmed if I can start them on PS5, transfer save files to my PS4 to play on that while I travel and then carry on playing on PS5 with the same save when I get home?

I'd really love to hear the official stance on this.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Have they specifically said that you will keep your ps4 license if you upgrade to the ps5 version? I imagine it would be hard to make that work with a disk but for a digital version they could just flip a switch a kill your license the the ps4 version if they wanted to.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
They should have just made the games as a "cross-buy" promotion. (Im thinking digital copies here)

For example if you buy Spider-Man Miles on PS4, you get the free Ps5 upgrade/copy but if you buy the PS5 copy, it doesn't entitle you to the PS4 version.

Its something silly. Just have one sku give both versions.

We need a list of PS4 ->free PS5 copy games. This way we can buy the PS4 copy and get both. What if I keep my ps4 around and my sibling wants to play some of these? For me its better if I get both versions if I can.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
With the save data being a bit of a mess going from PS4 to PS5, one of my concerns is with trying to going back and forth between a PS4 and PS5 is that the save data might not be a bidirectional conversion. That would kinda suck if you plan to play between a PS4 and PS5 version of a game in different locations.