• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
Man, are people that lazy that switching a cart is that big of a fucking deal?
Imagine a portable console actually being truly portable in a self contained manner. It's incredibly freeing not having to pack certain carts to bring with you on a trip or whatever, especially when you're like me and you don't know what you'll feel like playing until the mood strikes you.

I used to be anti-digital, too. For the Switch its never made more sense.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Ever since game updates, online play/features and DLC have become a thing, physical media is no longer the default. If you aren't planning on selling your games, and you're not displaying Switch cases like some sort of embarrassing trophy, why bring plastic and paper into the equation?
Aside from reselling them, the physical games being a lot cheaper than the closed eshop price in some countries is a big reason. In the U.K. a new, major digital game on the eshop is £50, plus you'll have needed to have bought a large memory card too at some point. Or you can shop around the online retailers and find it for £40 and be able to sell it for £30. If you're talking equations that's a huge difference in pricing of several hundred quid over the course of say five years, even if you don't sell any. And if you do sell your games on (I sell on maybe a quarter of mine) you're getting them for a fifth of the price.

Oct 27, 2017
I buy physical because retailers have better sales quicker, and the burden of swapping carts/discs is not enough to outweigh the benefit of saving $.

if Nintendo releases 3 first party games in 1 year you want to buy, and you get them at Walmart for $10 off day 1, that's $30 you save per year. More if you wait for a sale.

at best you're waiting 6 months for digital discounts on first party Nintendo games and even then, they may only be as good as the $10 off WM day 1 price if that.

also, Nintendo games hold value so many $50-$60 physical games You buy today will have $20-30 value at GameStop and even more second hand for 2-3 sometimes even 5 years

I traded Pikmin 3 Wii U to GameStop for $70 in 2016. It made zero sense. But I wouldn't be able to do that digital.

not only but I can play a game but not line the companies pockets if they have poor business practices (CDPR) by buying used physical games

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
It's literally the opposite for me because I don't lose shit and you and very easily a good bulk of your collection with you within a carrying case...

Oct 26, 2017
It's not about laziness. It completely changes the way you play games. If you're not sure what you feel like playing you can flick between games as if you were changing channel. I'd never go back to physical now.

I fail to see how changing carts vs. staying stationary, changes the way that games are played, and I say this as someone who bought some digital games. It's not mindblowing like you make it sound.

Imagine a portable console actually being truly portable in a self contained manner. It's incredibly freeing not having to pack certain carts to bring with you on a trip or whatever, especially when you're like me and you don't know what you'll feel like playing until the mood strikes you.

I used to be anti-digital, too. For the Switch its never made more sense.

Maybe it's just me but I disagree that it makes sense. Particularly regarding the accounts problem that stem with the Switch, and what makes a portable imo doesn't necessarily refer to the format of media played. Granted, I've been a Game Boy guy since I was kid, so naturally I am used to cartridge switching. Especially as the cases that I took my handhelds in, usually had a pocket for me to swap out my games.

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe it's just me but I disagree that it makes sense. Particularly regarding the accounts problem that stem with the Switch, and what makes a portable imo doesn't necessarily refer to the format of media played. Granted, I've been a Game Boy guy since I was kid, so naturally I am used to cartridge switching. Especially as the cases that I took my handhelds in, usually had a pocket for me to swap out my games.
I grew up with Game Gear, Game Boy Color, SP, etc. Always used to carry around all my carts and ensure every carrying case I used had room for the games/etc. I have probably around 100 games on the Switch by now. I don't think it's "normal" to have that many games, but I also think if I were to carry around all of my games wherever I brought my Switch if they were all physical (or even half for that matter), it would officially lose its "portable" status IMO. And I also think that the convenience of a full digital library is something you don't realize you would value until you actually do it (Re: "naturally I am used to cartridge switching."), since I was the same way.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I fail to see how changing carts vs. staying stationary, changes the way that games are played, and I say this as someone who bought some digital games. It's not mindblowing like you make it sound.
Well it's not something you can really understand from just buying some digital games, so it's no surprise you don't get it. But don't worry it's not your fault.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like they did some crazy psychological research to ensure that the process of changing out carts was as annoying as possible. If Nintendo resale prices weren't so good I'd be buying digital more often for sure.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't mind buying physical for newish games even now because it's usually cheaper, though obviously digital wins out in the medium and long run these days . Switch is the console that is the least hassle to buy physical for though. The cases don't take up much space, you can be more confident than for other consoles that the game on the cartridge (with some exceptions) is going to be like the final product and not have a shitload of patches , and obviously a lot of games have good resell value. I get it with other consoles, but i've never had any issue having a small case to keep cartridges, it's the least cumbersome it could possibly be for a physical product.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
There are Three switch systems in my house so going digital on a title only makes sense if there's only one person who would play it.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Using Steam since 2003 or so has made the transition incredibly easy to me. No reason at all to buy physical for me on any platform.

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
It's getting more and more difficult, going digital is just so convenient, but even on Switch I'm mostly physical with more than 100 games in my possession. I use a carry case whenever I bring my Switch somewhere that can house up to 8 cartridges, so I can always carry my current rotation of games with me. I do have extra little cartridge bags that enable me to bring even more games with me. It's not like I go outside much in these times anywhere so I use my Switch at home where my collection is. Changing the cartridges is also not that tedious. I do get the convenience factor, but I personally will buy my games physically as long as it's still possible.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
100% agreed OP. I have a 1 TB SD card in my switch and I'm never buying physical again on it. I love having 100 of games ready to play.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I always buy the physical version if I can for any console except PC. If my account gets banned for whatever reason, it will minimize the amount of cash I lost. Many people got banned and lost their accounts for no apparent reasons in the past or because of payment issues. Also physical games can be sold to get back some of the money. Switch games in particular hold their value very well since games barely drop in price even several years after release.

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Echo'ing others in this thread - I don't trust Nintendo's online practices, so I refuse to buy digitally. I've been buying almost exclusively digitally comfortably for a long long time on PC but I trust those platforms. I have absolutely no confidence that Nintendo will make any effort to make my Switch games playable on a future console without charging me an arm and a leg for a "remaster". It's pretty disgusting what Nintendo gets away with without the bad PR.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
As others have said, funny enough Digital on Switch is the one platform I don't really like doing on Switch if it can be helped. Something feels more concrete about Switch Physical games compared to PS & Xbox. Think it helps that they aren't typically plagued by 30GB+ patches

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I actually just decided to make the change to digital on Switch today. I've been pretty much digital the entire pandemic on my PS4 (and now my PS5) and it has been sort of eye opening.

I am still a little anxious about the decision but if I really think about it, worrying about plastics cases on a shelf feels a bit silly.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
The last physical game i bought was breath of the wild and that was only because my switch refused to connect to my wifi at the moment.
I intend to stay 100% digital unless there is some some super cool limited edition i want, but that has yet to happen, i think i am just done with physical games.

I still have a pretty nice big collection of older games from past generations in my attic, i am not sure why to be honest, it was many years ago since i last replayed any one of them, i should probably sell/give that stuff away soon.

Last edited:

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
On the switch, it's an extra hassle as you need to remove it from the dock first. Feels like I'm scratching the screen if I do it directly.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I was 100% physical until my country's currency lost 30% value over dolar. Then I went digital because Brazillian eshop became cheaper than US.
However I found out that digital is actually better than physical. It's so convenient.
1. No more trading catridges.
2. I can see evwry game that I have
3. No need to buy a new shelve
4. I don't need to inport games and I can play games on launch day
5. It's cheaper right now.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Most of the reasons have been covered but yeah, physical for me on Switch if for no other reason than Nintendo games retaining their value and I tend to casually collect for their systems. Playstation/xbox games are installed to the HDD so it's not like buying them physical allows you to play off th disc and save space. Plus the vast majority of their games end up in the 2 for $20 bin when the next gen hits so meh. I feel no way about buying digital on those latter platforms.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Back in the day I used to carry my GBA and DS games loose inside of a little pouch. For my Switch games, however, I have a Switch case I keep my games in.

However, maybe because the Switch is just such a good platform, or maybe because I have more income today, but I have over 36 physical Switch games, more then 3 times that can actually fit in the case. And suddenly I'm starting to feel how annoying and cumbersome a physical collection actually is.

But I'm still never going to go digital if I can help it. The monetary value of having a physical game I could sell is just too much for me to want to go digital for convenience. Not to mention that if something were to happen (e.g. if my Switch were to get banned for hacking the console), then I would be able to simply move my games elsewhere. I'll just suck it up and put Puyo Puyo Tetris in my Switch every single time I want to play it.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
That's not an accurate analogy at all. These software applications that you mention are significantly lighter in space than games (Reddit and Instagram are approximately 160MB off of iOS/Google. Try to say with a straight face that these are comparable to Switch/PS4-5 games where they are in the gigabytes depending on the size of assets), the bare minimum Micro SD card available is anywhere from 8-32gb.

Furthermore, the Switch has a micro SD card slot too, so I'm not sure you even thought out your analogy that well.
What does storage size have to do with anything? I store like 300GB of crap on my phone, and I store like 300GB of games on my Switch. When I want to open software I just open it without having to physically swap media on my device. It's all just downloaded and installed and available on my device.

Carrying around a box full of tiny disks to store my software makes as little sense for my phone as it does for my Switch.

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
Physical all day, every day. I've sold a few Switch games for 80-90% of purchase price (DOOM, Splatoon, Crash collection, etc.) I love the little carts and the tiny game cases.

Last edited:

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I feel like they did some crazy psychological research to ensure that the process of changing out carts was as annoying as possible. If Nintendo resale prices weren't so good I'd be buying digital more often for sure.

I honestly find it kind of cathartic. When I complete a game it feels like a definitive end to a title from my backlog...it's ejected, put back in its case and shelved/re-sold...forgotten about until I fancy playing it again in the future.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
My Switch is permanently docked due to the Switch is not the most ergonomic of handhelds, so whilst I don't have the issue of carrying around expensive cartridges, but I get OP's concern. In old pre-digital portable gaming consoles days, I only had one game inserted at the time and didn't carry any extras, unless I was going on holiday. I also agree that changing the cartridge on the Switch doesn't have the same ease of just ejecting a disc, especially if the Switch is docked.

I buy physical with the Switch where possible (I prefer physical items and the ability to resell), and am generally alternating between one physical single-player game that takes longer to complete and one digital indie game at a time, so I don't have to change the cartridge that often.

Also, people, stop disparaging others for buying games physically or calling physical items/video games 'clutter', which implies there is an inherent messiness and disorganization to having physical items, sheesh. I don't know how you keep your games, but mine are tidy. There are both perfectly logical reasons why people prefer to purchase their games digitally or buy physical copies, it's absurd to be pretentious about it.

My fear is Nintendo will change the hardware again and those cartridges won't work and the only way you can play older games is digital.

Most of my games are physical by the way.

I go back in forth: Nintendo's online support is the weakest of the Big 3, and I have concerns Nintendo won't carry over digital games if they ever do a big console redesign after the Switch. As you said, though, physical cartridges may also not be supported one day, and everything might have to be repurchased digitally. My hope is that if it turns out to be the latter, the price might have gone down by then on older games... but there is the obligatory Nintendo Tax!

this is the most annoying system to switch games out if you play mainly docked. Also the little flap over the card slot is the flimsiest thing ever

I KNOW.

wqkZkvH.jpg

I'm so careful with it, and it still freaks me out. The cartridges are so small and delicate, too, that they make the 3DS cartridges feel like solid bricks in comparison, lol.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
I dunno, personally I've been hunting down some cart versions of recent purchases because I like lending them out to friends and family. Sounds weird but I feel like the game gets more mileage and I can share the experience. Edit: for the switch.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't disagree more. Carts are sturdier and not susceptible to scratching, so I'm much more willing to swap them than I am optical discs.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly find it kind of cathartic. When I complete a game it feels like a definitive end to a title from my backlog...it's ejected, put back in its case and shelved/re-sold...forgotten about until I fancy playing it again in the future.
You're not wrong. It definitely encourages me up wrap games up!

Akash

Oct 27, 2017
i'm all about physical on Switch. Especially because nintendo ships playable games, generally. The cart has a pretty damn good version of the game on it if servers go down in the future, etc.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Completely opposite for me, the resale value of Switch games is too damn high for me to just throw that money into the Nintendo ecosystem (which probably won't carry over onto their next console if their history is anything to go by)

However swapping carts is a pain and if money and budget weren't a concern id by everything digital and just rebuy each generation.

cinch

Chicken Chaser
Feb 17, 2019
Opposite for me, i buy almost exclusively physical on Switch for the reasons other people have said (plus i like the idea of carts in a retro way). And some have even gone up in value from what i paid (like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna), if i were ever interested in selling my games (which i'm not lol). I'm more of a collector

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017
Such a mixed bag for me. I love the digital aspect but also appreciate the physical carts themselves and the value they retain.

KC-Slater

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Think it helps that they aren't typically plagued by 30GB+ patches

If I have to download any patch for a Switch game, it sort of negates the benefit of having the game physically. I'm not paying for the internet by the amount of data I use. (Free wifi is pretty ubiquitous in many places.) I'm also fine to wait a few more minutes to download the entire game. The benefit of having everything in one place outweighs any potential upfront install time.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
If I have to download any patch for a Switch game, it sort of negates the benefit of having the game physically. I'm not paying for the internet by the amount of data I use. (Free wifi is pretty ubiquitous in many places.) I'm also fine to wait a few more minutes to download the entire game. The benefit of having everything in one place outweighs any potential upfront install time.

Area can definitely be a big factor in Physical over Digital. I'm in a more rural area with rather low speeds, so being able to negate a install and just grab a patch help a lot. Xbox is the only system where it can be a bit finicky as it feels like some games just redownload the entire thing again even if if you have the disc.

KC-Slater

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
This is not true for all cases. Some Switch games I bought have come with updates built in (Hollow Knight for instance has all the DLC + updates that the game received post-release. And this is factoring in that the final update was the Godmaster content pack). It's dependent on the developers and what was published. Physical media mitigates the storefront shutdown problem that digital games face. Like if I wanted to revisit a console, but I can't access PSN/Xbox store, then my only option is to find that physical copy.

What you described with Hollow Knight is more like the exception, not the rule. (The physical copy is also appears to be about four times more expensive than the digital, practically speaking.) Look at Smash for example—the game you buy in store is not fairly representative anymore of the state of the game now. Even in the scenario you suggested—if you are unable to access online services on legacy consoles, you're stuck playing an early version of the game anyway.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Switch games don't have great cases anyway. They don't even have unique spine art!

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I lament the lost art of getting together with friends to go into town to check out the latest video games, meeting up with new and interesting people around the game shelves and forming bonds with them that last a lifetime. Gaming used to be such a wonderful social experience. See also: record stores.