• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
I'm going through the Souls series for the first time right now, and after finishing the first Dark Souls and deeply enjoying (despite some big issues with its last third, as I commented on this recent thread) I immediately moved on to Dark Souls II.

Now, while I'm fairly ignorant of most Souls discussion, the controversy surrounding this game was hard to miss. While the specifics eluded me, I was fairly aware of its reputation as the big divisive title among the fanbase. I have to admit though, that I thought the entire controversy was a case of the most ardent fans freaking out over stuff that ultimately wouldn't make that much of an impact outside those who know the game's in and out like their own backyard.

Well, I'm still fuzzy on the specifics of the controversy, but I was sadly mistaken with my impression of it. I'm having a miserable time with the game, to the point where I'm thinking of just giving up entirely. While there are minor and not so minor stuff that I consider improved/downgraded from the first game, my complaints can be summarised with the fact that I'm finding the combat incredibly frustrating when things go wrong, and incredibly dull and boring when they go right.

I'm really, really hating the enemy design in this game. Not even the most basic enemies I'm finding enjoyable to dispatch. There's something that bothers me about their attack patterns, their speed and their recovery time, nothing feels as readable and predictable with patience and practice as it was before, and unlike the first game, this entry seem focused on dealing almost entirely with groups of enemies instead of for the most part sticking to one on one fights (Dark Souls 1 also gave you groups of enemies to fight, but it was far more careful and methodical about it) when the combat system doesn't seem fit for such design. On top of that, my character's moveset just feels wrong. I don't know what it is, exactly, but I'm finding every action I take to feel slightly off and unstatisfying (and just in case, I upgraded agility to have more iframes in my roll as I was aware beforehand that it was tied to a stat, but it still feels wrong somehow, both the roll and general movement and attacks)

The fact that such a similar playing game feels so different and so much worse for me it's hard to process.

I just don't know what to do. I would hate if I skipped a game, but it has been an absolute chore of an experience so far, and I'm still fairly early in the game (I have explored the Forest of Giants, Heides Tower, No Man's Wharf, and partially the Lost Bastille). Is it worth it to keep it up with my issues? I know the DLC has a stellar reputation, but getting there will be a struggle.

*I'm playing Dark Souls II Scholar of the first sin for the PS4 and not the original release, just in case it matters.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You're not wrong. The encounter design in DS2 is markedly worse than in any other game in the series. Bosses, regular mobs, all of it. The whole game just feels less done.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I've played a ton of Dark Souls 2 and had fun with it, but it's easily the worst Soulsborne game. I find it the hardest to go back to

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Playing Scholar does matter, it's essentially a more punishing, remixed version of DS2 from what I understand. It's also sadly basically the only way to really play it now. I would love to play the base version one day but it's just so much more expensive to compared to Scholar which frequently drops.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
I just don't know what to do. I would hate if I skipped a game, but it has been an absolute chore of an experience so far, and I'm still fairly early in the game
Dude you're time is way more valuable than finishing a game. If you're not enjoying it, drop it, nobody cares. It's not even referenced in the sequel.

xy0

Oct 25, 2017
Level design is also a step down from Dark Souls.

This is the only Souls game where Miyazaki was not the director or leading creative and it shows.

My history could be off but I think at the time Dark Souls II was underway he was working on Bloodborne.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The whole game feels like a dark souls knockoff.

If you keep playing be sure to level ADP.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
DS2 controls noticeably worse than every other game in the series. Gotta love that 8 directional movement on the left stick.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It is a miserable experience. From its music, to art, to encounter design, to combat changes.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
*I'm playing Dark Souls II Scholar of the first sin for the PS4 and not the original release, just in case it matters.

It matters to some extent. The original game had a different encounter design and some enemies you encounter early in Scholar of the First Sin aren't encountered in original Dark Souls 2 until far later in the game, making SoftS far more punishing and difficult than the original game is. I played SoftS first and dropped it in favor of playing the original which actually made me enjoy DS2 enough that afterwards I would come back to SoftS and enjoy playing through it.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
You're entirely on point. There will be people insisting that DS2 is the best one or "worth playing". And they have a point too. But it's like finding the pure sharpstone in a pile of sticky white stuff. Your time is better spent on every other game in the series.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
If it makes you feel any better, Dark Souls 3 is MUCH more improved over 2.

But yes, I've given 2 so many chances and yet it just has too many flaws for me to not consider it the worst of the franchise.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
I quit early on, the one time I gave it a fair shot. It was noticeably inferior to the pthers, but the real kicker was when my sword just broke, and I didn't have another one. So far as I could tell, progression became impossible. Honestly i didn't think it was a worth figuring out if that was an accurate assessment or not. Game just wasn't fun.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
You pretty much nailed everything I hate about DS2. By far the worst of the Souls games. Such a massive disappointment.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much downhill once you leave Majula.

Still it's a long quest and some areas can be enjoyable to work through, but overall it's incredibly inconsistent. I was so bummed out at launch, but over time came to appreciate some of its strengths.

Feel free to move on and come back if you remain curious after playing the other games.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
It's widely considered the worst Souls game. There's still fun to be had and it's not a bad game. Has some interesting variety in builds and items but the level design and bosses suck.

You should jump to Bloodborne or Sekiro to get something a bit more fresh instead of continuing to DS3 if you do decide to skip the rest of DS2 imo.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Souls 2 was made by From's B Team, and it shows in parts. That said, it's the most open in terms of build diversity, and there's a strong multiplayer community around it.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I maintain that Dark Souls 2 feels like a community ROMhack of the first game where there's a crapload of content, but just as great a disparity between the good stuff that almost reaches the heights of the original, and the stuff that just feels like Kaizo bullshit. And then the stuff that feels like someone's first time with a level editor.

Magnemania

Jan 25, 2018
souls games that have jabba the hutt: ds2
souls games that lack jabba the hutt: the rest

i think it's clear which souls game is the best

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Great game, much variety and especially the DLC areas are masterful.

and it doesn´t fall apart in the last third like the original Dark Souls.
shortly, i like it the most from the Dark Souls games, DS2 feels like an epic journey and idgaf about "lava fortress on top of an elevator" stuff.
if anything it gives the game a surreal feeling.

The whole game feels like a dark souls knockoff.

and DS3 felt like the fanservice edition. had severe "been here, done that" vibes and included too much swiftness from Bloodborne.
DS3 felt like someone took Bloodborne and built a DS fangame with it.

OP
OP
Open Wound

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
Dude you're time is way more valuable than finishing a game. If you're not enjoying it, drop it, nobody cares. It's not even referenced in the sequel.
Eh, my time isn't that valuable sadly.

Self-deprecation aside, It's just a habit I've got. I wanted to go through the whole series of games, and dropping it means that, well, I didn't. Just a pet peeve of mine.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I'd suggest to skip to Dark Souls 3.

That said, I personally do enjoy Dark Souls 2 in a weird way whilst admitting that it's the worst out of the Souls bunch.
Majula is still my favourite hub though (apart from the Nexus).

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Skip it and to Dark Souls 3. After that go to Bloodborne if you haven't, and then finally Sekiro. Sekiro plays very different from the rest, so it's best to play that last.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great game, much variety and especially the DLC areas are masterful.

and it doesn´t fall apart in the last third like the original Dark Souls.
shortly, i like it the most from the Dark Souls games, DS2 feels like an epic journey and idgaf about "lava fortress on top of an elevator" stuff.
if anything it gives the game a surreal feeling.

and DS3 felt like the fanservice edition. had severe "been here, done that" vibes and included too much swiftness from Bloodborne.
DS3 felt like someone took Bloodborne and built a DS fangame with it.

Sorry I hurt your feelings with my opinion.

Being serious though I didn't hate the game it's just the most forgettable of the souls games to me.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, my time isn't that valuable sadly.

Self-deprecation aside, It's just a habit I've got. I wanted to go through the whole series of games, and dropping it means that, well, I didn't. Just a pet peeve of mine.
Let this be the beautiful beginning of a brave new you. Play Persona without maxing every social link. Beat an open world game without collecting all the korok seeds. It's what Dark Souls 2 would've wanted.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
It's actually one of my top 3 Souls games, funnily enough, but if you're not enjoying it, I'd say drop it. Nothing significant is lost if you don't beat it and everything you dislike about it is fair.

To expound upon why I like it more, I like the more Arcadey nature of the game's progression (You can pick anyone of the paths early on and complete them in whatever order you want) and it let's me do my preferred Poison build really early. I also like the story more than the other games because it does more than the cryptic bs of the other games that I don't enjoy. The multiplayer was also really fun to do at the time, Soul Memory anoyances aside.

zenosparadox

Nov 13, 2017
OP, your experience is basically the same as mine when I played it several years ago (SOTFS edition on PS4). It was a dreadful experience from start to finish for me, too. And I actually forced myself to finish the game! I wanted to stop playing so many times... The game does not get better, OP. I'm glad I have played through all the Souls games, but it might not be worth it for you.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
I always feel so odd when these threads pop up, because I really love DS2 and prefer its "feel" compared to DS1, but I totally understand your perspective. If you still aren't enjoying it, then maybe skip it and go to DS3.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
OP what you just wrote is just one of the many typical problems souls fan encounter when they play dark souls II after playing a proper souls game like DkS 1. Its a proper consensus among the majority of souls fans that the 2nd game is easily the worst Souls game.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Go back to it later on if you've played everything else and still craving more Souls.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
I love 2, but feel free to skip forward to 3. I don't know that 3 plays much like DS1 either, but maybe the ways its different will appeal to you more than 2.

delete

Jul 4, 2019
If you can be bothered to bare through it the DLC jumps in quality significantly compared to the main game.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
DS2 has some interesting ideas for enemies and mechanics, and it has some cool level designs in places, but everything else is a bit off

it doesn't mesh well with itself

still a fun game, but not as well constructed or thought out as some other FS titles

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I played the majority of DS2 in co-op so that lightened my opinion on it. However, it is still the weakest of the Souls game. I would only recommend it if you played all the other Souls game and are craving for more.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
OP just drop the game. I beat I think 7 or so bosses and I just had to stop playing it. It was just not fun. No point in wasting your time if you are not having fun OP.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
I played vanilla shortly after the first DS and enjoyed it immensly, and the changes made in SotFS I saw left me scratching my head. The original version is the way to go, imo.

Then again, I might be an outlier as far as Souls games go, since I'm finding Bloodborne a straight up downgrade from the previous games in terms of core mechanics. Fantastic level design so far, though.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
You mean adaptability for the iframes right? Dunno if there is agility or u choosed the wrong stat, or in the complete version stats were remaked.

It's a fine game, a bad souls imo.

OP
OP
Open Wound

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
By the way, I want to clarify that I wouldn't be moving on to Dark Souls 3, I would be playing Bloodborne before that as I'm going by release date (with the absence of Demon's Souls, which I own for PS3, but i prefer to play the remake at the end of it all once I can buy a PS5).

You mean adaptability for the iframes right? Dunno if there is agility or u choosed the wrong stat, or in the complete version stats were remaked
As far as I understand, agility is in charge of the iframes, but it's a stat that you raise by raising either attunement or adaptability. I have its rating at 99.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Yeah the movement and attack patterns does put you off at first. It's still a decent game overall but uh it's not going to get any better till the dlcs. Power stancing is pretty cool though it has the worst cadre of bosses in the entire franchise.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
SotFS is redesigned for MP-friendliness. If you find those mob encounters annoying just summon. It's more tedious as a solo game than any other in the series, including the original DS2.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls 2 is maybe my greatest gaming disappointment of all time. Just from the very beginning, having that slow realization that everything feels off, even aesthetically, and having it only get worse the further I go and get less fun by the time I'm falling into an acid pool or going through another poison cave or cursed forest.

I can recognize that if you're able to invest in the tweaks to the gameplay systems, it makes sense why it's the favorite souls games to a small but loyal number of people, but it just doesn't "feel" like part of the same series.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017

That does actually. I found Sotfs to be much harder than the original Dark Souls II and bounced off it actually.

Really enjoyed the original game though, so I recommend trying the original game if you want to give Dark Souls 2 another chance.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
DS2 is the last From game to really feel like a Kings Field game sadly.

DS3 feels too much like Bloodborne to me.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Best PvP and QOL but worst everything else yet still a really good game and one of my favorite souls games.

DiddyMSU

Dec 29, 2018
People say it all the time, but if you don't like a game, stop playing it.

I enjoyed dark souls 2, I think people dump on it to much. But whatever. to each their own.

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it, but it is the weakest of the series. For me it mostly boiled down to the bosses being quantity over quality and a generally worse level/world design.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
I played the trilogy for the first time back in 2018 on PS4, Dark Souls is a great game to this day 9/10, but Dark Souls 2 is terrible, I finished because I was committed to play all the trilogy, but the game was so mediocre that I skipped the DLCs, the fact the original (worse version) has somehow the highest scores in Souls series is a clear example of a overhyped sequence inflated by the success of the previous game.