• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Skyrim is one of my favorite game worlds I've ever played in. Just wonderful to explore, especially with the music.

Been disappointed in them since but I am looking forward to seeing more of Starfield (?) and Elder Scrolls VI.

Bad Advice

Jan 8, 2019
I enjoy them until the novelty wears off and you realize they are mediocre games. Skyrim was rather disappointing in this respect. I think I played more Oblivion than Skyrim.

Never played Fallout 4, somehow missed it.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
It kills me that they messed up Fallout (I'm talking about 4 being a disappointment, not 76) but some of my favorite gaming memories have been with their games. I am one of the weird people that prefer Fallout 3 to New Vegas because of the strength of their world-building and atmosphere.

Their games on PC with mods is like having a genie to grant your gaming wishes, it's unreal.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
People love to shit on Skyrim but it's one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I've ever had.

Also Fallout 4 was absolutely decent. While it didn't match my expectations, I still had a great time with it. It's too bad it ran like absolute horse shit on a base PS4.

Morrowind is one of my favorite games of all time, but that's most people's favorite Elder Scrolls game.

With all that said, I'm not touching Fallout 76 with a 10 foot pole. It looked bad to me from the first reveal.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
I love their games too OP, though I haven't played Fallout 76 and probably never will I'll still buy their next single player adventure on day 1.

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
My concern is that they'll go the voiced protagonist route in the next ES. I do think I saw a thing when Howard said it didn't work out well or somesuch.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
I agree, I also love Oblivion, Skyrim, and even Fallout 4.

Maybe the perception around them would change if they were marketed as simulators rather than RPGs.

Character development and plot is usually forgettable imo, but I still love getting lost in the worlds Bethesda creates.

JoshuaJSlone

Dec 27, 2017
Indiana
I'm a Nintendo man, but over the last decade I've probably averaged something like 200 hours each in Elder Scrolls 4, 5, Fallout 3, 4, and New Vegas if you count that. I was a latecomer to Fallout 4, but after giving up hope for a Switch version last year it sucked me in for about a month and I probably spent a similar amount of time with it as I did sleeping or at my full-time job.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nope. I tried Morrowind back in the day and fell of really fast. Then came Oblivion which I dug for about 10 hours or so then was just done, hit a hard wall with that one. Third time's the charm because I loved the hell out of Fallout 3, bought all the DLC and enjoyed most of them as well. I rented Skyrim to see and I dug the few hours I played it. Eventually got it on PC and fiddle with it now and then butt still don't find it amazing. Mods help... a lot. Was super stoked for Fallout 4 and after 4-5 hours was done. I couldn't believe how disappointing it was.

I think it's ludicrous that they became so beloved. When Skyrim won a ton of GOTY awards I was dumbfounded. The PS3 version was not able to be finished for a ton of people. When one of a game's three versions is that broken it should be getting raked over the coals, not lauded with awards.

At this point I don't see myself ever buying a BGS game again.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I still keep Skyrim and Fallout 3 installed and boot them up every once in a while because they do immersive sim stuff on a huge scale that other AAA games don't even think about doing. It's a big reason a lot of people excuse their bugs. Kingdom Come is the only recent game that tried to elaborate on the same ideas. Fallout 4 in my experience kind of fucked up the role-playing and systemic feel and just feels like a loot fest. Cyberpunk might be the next major game of that type depending on how hard CDProjekt goes in that direction.

I might try to get into Morrowind at some point.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I just completed dishonoured 2 yesterday and today I completed dishonored death of an outsider. I'd rate them 8.5/10 so yes I agree with you I love them.

I recently completed Doom 2016 and as we speak I'm downloading wolfenstein 2 and the dlc. Got them all tor €45 on sale.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ooof... I heavily disagree, specially if you think AAA games like God of War, RDR2, Spider-Man, etc are boring.

IMO Bethesda games are mediocre but it's possible to have fun with them.

I did find RDR2 and God of War boring, personally. I like Spider-Man a lot, but I think everything outside of swinging felt like well-worn territory. But you can of course disagree. I don't expect most people to feel the same as me.

I like a lot of bad stuff in other mediums as well. Give me aggressively bad movies with continuity errors and sets that are falling over, and I will have a better time than with something far more polished.

For me, it is very much like this Roger Ebert quote:

Roger Ebert said:
There's a learning process that moviegoers go through. They begin in childhood without sophistication or much taste, and for example, like "Gamera'' more than "Air Force One" because flying turtles are obviously more entertaining than United States presidents. Then they grow older and develop "taste,'' and prefer "Air Force One," which is better made and has big stars and a more plausible plot. (Isn't it more believable, after all, that a president could single-handedly wipe out a planeload of terrorists than that a giant turtle could spit gobs of flame?) Then, if they continue to grow older and wiser, they complete the circle and return to "Gamera'' again, realizing that while both movies are preposterous, the turtle movie has the charm of utter goofiness--and, in an age of flawless special effects, it is somehow more fun to watch flawed ones.

Oct 27, 2017
Sure I like them. Akane's stuff is pretty awesome. Past couple mainline releases are moving further and further away from what makes me like them though.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
But really no. Glitchy, buggy, broken games that have never had good gameplay.

BGS games deserve the flack they get for lack of optimization among other things, but this is ridiculous. You think the Elder Scrolls games have all been hugely successful critical and commercial hits despite "never (having) good gameplay"? Gameplay is many things - it's not just combat responsiveness. These games have been hugely influential in open world design, open world narrative and open world NPC interaction.

Yes, BGS needs to go back to the drawing board for some stuff, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Sure I like them. Akane's stuff is pretty awesome. Past couple mainline releases are moving further and further away from what makes me like them though.

OP is specifically discussing Bethesda Game Studios - Elder Scrolls and Fallout basically.

Oct 31, 2017
Bethesda games are like, the exact opposite of what I want in a game. I prefer linear over open world, I prefer polish and excellent presentation over dialogue choices and costume changes, and I prefer.... fun combat over boring combat

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I loved my time with fallout 3, Morrowind and Skyrim. Fallout 4 and Oblivion was also a good time.

I also love the Elder Scrolls world and how it's used in Paradox's grand strategy game Crusader Kings 2

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
I just completed dishonoured 2 yesterday and today I completed dishonored death of an outsider. I'd rate them 8.5/10 so yes I agree with you I love them.

I recently completed Doom 2016 and as we speak I'm downloading wolfenstein 2 and the dlc. Got them all tor €45 on sale.

Unfortunately those are just Bethesda-published. The OP is talking about games developed by Bethesda Game Studios, which are basically just Fallout and Elder Scrolls games.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
BGS games deserve the flack they get for lack of optimization among other things, but this is ridiculous. You think the Elder Scrolls games have all been hugely successful critical and commercial hits despite "never (having) good gameplay"? Gameplay is many things - it's not just combat responsiveness. These games have been hugely influential in open world design, open world narrative and open world NPC interaction.

Yes, BGS needs to go back to the drawing board for some stuff, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

OP is specifically discussing Bethesda Game Studios - Elder Scrolls and Fallout basically.
Yes, I do. Look at rdr2. A critical darling with atrocious gameplay. If you make beautiful open world games and are a triple A publisher you seemingly get a pass for awful combat. Idk how anyone could seriously say waving a sword around like a cardboard cut out in skyrim is good combat.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
The games they released during the 360/PS3 generation were some of my favorite ever. I thought that the huge jump in popularity and sales between the beginning of that generation and the end of it would help them overcome some of the problems that were in each of their releases. That didn't really happen though and I understand the people that hold Morrowind as the peak of the series much more now. It still doesn't erase the great times I had last generation.

Oct 25, 2017
The Elderscroll Series is one of my favorites (except for ES Online).

However, the criticism towards the studio is usually justified (maybe a little overblown).

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I think Fallout 3 and Skyrim are some of the best games I have ever played. Not the best games ever though, specially since I played Skyrim on PS3. They are a decent developer who have lost their way and I hope they stop screwing around and get back into making decent games again. Fallout 4 had some good steps forward but way too many steps back. As for 76, I haven't played it yet but I will eventually.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I do. Look at rdr2. A critical darling with atrocious gameplay. If you make beautiful open world games and are a triple A publisher you seemingly get a pass for awful combat. Idk how anyone could seriously say waving a sword around like a cardboard cut out in skyrim is good combat.

I didn't argue with that point though - I specifically said "gameplay" is many things. I don't disagree that Elder Scrolls games have stiff, problematic combat - you should have played Daggerfall! - but that's neglecting all the many other things the games demonstrably do well, including some that I listed and others. Those are the reasons its a successful series.

I agree with the RDR2 analogy though - the people most loudly bemoaning its success are those who narrowly define the gameplay as, basically, combat, when there are so other many things the game does well that those of us who enjoy it cite.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Gameplay is more than combat.

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017

I don't care too much for BGS games, but this view is extremely one-dimensional. This uber-traditionalist view of gameplay first, all other things after, is so counterproductive to the evolution of the gaming medium. Yeah, RDR2 didn't blow the roof off the industry with innovations in combat mechanics, but you can tell that Rockstar devoted a TON of time and resources toward expanding our understanding of how deep an open world can be and the types of stories that can be told with games.

Some games prioritize gameplay, some prioritize story, some prioritize world-building--and that's their respective developers' prerogative. There's no objective "best" way to order development priorities. BGS arguably prioritizes world, Rockstar prioritizes world/story, and others like, I dunno, From Software prioritize combat mechanics. Those are all equally valid approaches. You might have your own individual biases toward gameplay mechanics, but that doesn't mean others can't derive value from other elements of a game, or that they're foolish, naive, or wrong for doing so.

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't argue with that point though - I specifically said "gameplay" is many things. I don't disagree that Elder Scrolls games have stiff, problematic combat - you should have played Daggerfall! - but that's neglecting all the many other things the games demonstrably do well, including some that I listed and others. Those are the reasons its a successful series.

I agree with the RDR2 analogy though - the people most loudly bemoaning its success are those who narrowly define the gameplay as, basically, combat, when there are so other many things the game does well that those of us who enjoy it cite.
Ah that's fair. I should have said combat since that's chiefly what I meant rather than gameplay. I concede that.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't care too much for BGS games, but this view is extremely one-dimensional. This uber-traditionalist view of gameplay first, all other things after, is so counterproductive to the evolution of the gaming medium. Yeah, RDR2 didn't blow the roof off the industry with innovations in combat mechanics, but you can tell that Rockstar devoted a TON of time and resources toward expanding our understanding of how deep an open world can be, and the type of stories that can be told with games.

Some games prioritize gameplay, some prioritize story, some prioritize world-building--and that's their respective developers' prerogative. There's no objective "best" way to order development priorities. BGS arguably prioritizes world, Rockstar prioritizes world/story, and others like, I dunno, From Software prioritize combat mechanics. Those are all equally valid approaches. You might have your own individual biases toward gameplay mechanics, but that doesn't mean others can't derive value from other elements of a game, or that they're foolish, naive, or wrong for doing so.
I should have worded it better I agree I disagree however about gameplay being first serving as a reductive measure of gamws' evolution. Gameplay trumps all.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Unless they majorly screw up the formula in the future, which I guess could be a very real possibility, I think I'll always be an Elder Scrolls fan. I have put in uncountable hours with Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim across several computer builds and consoles. They have made some bad decisions with sequels but the overall games are still good despite the many flaws and quirks.
Plus the mod support has always been great. So far anyway, I have a bad feeling they are going to heavily push paid mods in VI though...

The Fallout series has always been uninteresting to me, for some reason I keep buying them and bailing out a few hours in. So drab and uninteresting. My roommate likes them, so whatever.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I love Skyrim, fallout 3 and recently fell in love with fallout 4. I just enjoy the games that i do, I don't care what people say about certain series or studios. Sure they have bugs and glitches, but I don't care, I can play past all that. Fallout 4 is a lot of fun, and I enjoy a lot of the game. 76 not so much, but I only played the beta. But skyrim is a game that I just can't quit. No fallout has made me feel this way. But skyrim is just awesome to me, in so many ways. Plus j have been playing it in be with over 120 hours so far. Its a blast and I wish I could play it more.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay is more than combat.
Well the movement and horse riding are both pretty terrible as well.

Pretty much anything involving interaction in RDR2 is clunky and slow. Even poker in the game is painfully slow.

Then you have the mission design which is fucking abysmal. Some of the missions in RDR2 have about as close as it gets to objectively bad mission design.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
I did love them and could over look some minor degree of jank/bugs. Admittingly, FO4 felt like a significant step down but it was still alright for the world and characters,

Then Fallout 76 happened and they proved they didn't give a fuck. The thing that really drove me off was the blatant false advertising with the canvas bag. It was a cash grab and a poor attempt of it riddled with many questionable decisions.

BGS went from day one to wait for reviews.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Well the movement and horse riding are both pretty terrible as well.

Pretty much anything involving interaction in RDR2 is clunky and slow. Even poker in the game is painfully slow.

Then you have the mission design which is fucking abysmal. Some of the missions in RDR2 have about as close as it gets to objectively bad mission design.

The preceding post was talking about Bethesda games. I agree that RDR2 has a lot wrong with it.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic games, especially the Elder Scrolls games. I wasn't a fan of Fallout 3, but I liked 4. Still not nearly as good as the TES games.

They are still unmatched in the AAA, first/third-person, action-oriented gameplay sector when it comes down to player freedom, exploration, character creation and chosing a playstyle. Also, Skyrim VR took this to another level. The games that come closest are Piranha Bytes games: Gothic, Risen and Elex, but Bethesda is still the gold standard.

Honestly, I can't wait for Starfield and TES6. I hope they get rid of the yank (it got better with every game, you have to give them that) and polish their games a bit more. But I have no doubt about their ability to create fantastic worlds als loads of options for oyur character creation.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I love everything up to Fallout 4, which was disappointing. Far Harbor was good.

This right here. Everything beyond skyrim has been nothing but steps backwards to me. Their competition has been kicking their asses far as I'm concerned

I gave fallout 76 a rental and holy shit I hope this isn't the future they are shooting for. I'm cautious about ES6 and starfield. Beth games aren't a day one purchase for me anymore

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
i mean i play the shit out of their games. i don't think there is a single franchise that can get me as hyped as a new TES game. however, if i were playing them on consoles or they phased out mod support i would play them much, much less.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I am starting to feel like Bethesda should worry a little bit. Say all you want about Witcher 3 being better than Skyrim. I'll even agree to it. But they're pretty different aside from both being medieval action rpgs.

But The Outer Worlds and Cyberpunk are going to be in that territory of Bethesda style RPG. And they're going to be a hell of a lot better than Fallout 76 and 4. Starfield and ES6 better not come out after those games and suck.