• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Is this really considered horror?

You tell me! :p

images_jmaison_Editorials_ZAMN_Big_Baby.jpg

Oct 31, 2017

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
As far as my favorite goes - American McGee's Alice while not outright scary has one of my favorite oppressive and creepy atmosphere's in gaming. Outside this one, I have a couple lists.

I made a list of decent older Adventure Point and Click horror games on PC awhile back:
I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream
Harvester
Dark Seed
Dark Seed 2
The 7th Guest
The 11th Hour
Silverload
Sanitarium
Phantasmagoria
Phantasmagoria: A Puzzle of Flesh
Darkness Within 1: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder
Darkness Within 2: The Dark Lineage
Bad Mojo

Here's some slightly more obscure PS1 titles:
Echo Night
D
LSD: Dream Simulator
Hellnight
Silverload
Twilight Syndrome: Search (Japan Only)
Twilight Syndrome: Investigation (Japan Only)
Moonlight Syndrome (Japan Only)

PS2 also had a plethora of weird horror games:
Curse: The Eye of Isis
Galerians: Ash
Michigan: Report from Hell
The X-Files: Resist or Serve
ObsCure
Obscure: The Aftermath
Akai Ito
Glass Rose
The Thing
Kuon
Cold Fear
Gregory Horror Show

Awhile back I was making a stab at cataloging every horror title for older consoles so I came across a lot of really cool stuff I'd never heard of, maybe some of these will be worthwhile for you.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Siren 1 & 2 are the best PS2 horror games IMO. Siren 1 is very tough & a little clunky so I'd recommend checking a walkthrough when you get stuck. Siren 2 is a lot more user-friendly but the English version is UK-only so you'll have to import it & use an emulator (might have to fiddle with some settings since it's one of the hardest PS2 games to emulate) if you're in the US.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Uninvited - The NES port of this game is currently for sale on Steam/PSN as part of the 8-bit adventure anthology.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland

www.gog.com

Clive Barker's Undying

What a horrible night to have a curse! Someone should have warned the Covenant children:

www.gog.com

Realms of the Haunting

Forged in the Beginning and protected by the Seven Seals, there lies a place where though

yeida1r.gif

www.gog.com

Alone in the Dark

Alone in the Dark weaves a chilling tapestry of psychological horror and Southern Gothic

GIF3_Sani.gif

www.gog.com

Sanitarium

Imagine a world created out of insanity – deformed children, ancient gods, ghosts from yo

tumblr_pc1p5i28o81ri5ljho1_500.gifv

www.gog.com

Bad Mojo Redux

You are Roger Samms. All your life you’ve been the little man, the square peg, the forgot

Last edited:

Sakuyahime

Sep 21, 2019
Argentina
I loved the F.E.A.R games! They're pretty good and there's always tension and a creepy atmosphere surrounding you.
Observer is another great title, a cyberpunk horror game from Bloober Team, the creators of Layers of Fear.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Does 'Deadly Premonition' count?
It most certainly does. Such a fantastically weird delight.
Extermination: This one you may personally enjoy, some of the people that worked and wrote the older Resident Evil games worked on this. It's kinda' a poor man's Resident Evil meets Metal Gear, but the novelty of a game somewhere between Resident Evil and Metal Gear still gives it appeal.
This. I recently played it a few months ago and it was pretty fun, but huge disclaimer that the aiming is inverted. The aiming inversion might be intentional like tank controls I guess because that's a huge oversight that I assume inhibits majority of people than obviously inverted players. It still befuddles me to this day that they made that decision or maybe didn't think of it I guess? It kinda has RE4 third person aiming before RE4 did when you think about it. That was a huge downside for me playing the game and getting into it initally. That huge aiming issue aside it's a pretty great RE clone(corny dialog and all) I'd recommend as well.

Last edited:

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
It just came out today (so obviously not actually "retro" lol) but have you heard of World of Horror?

I think it fits the aesthetic you're looking for at the very least.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
not seen any mention of splatterhouse on the megadrive/gensis or is that too retro?

there's also the 360/ps3 remake but i haven't played that,i don't think it reviewed well.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
A lot of my favorites are listed already.
D1 & D2 are wonderful, Haunting Ground is an all time great, the Fatal Frame games are timeless, The Silver Case is not only one of Suda's best but also a tremendous horror game.

My biggest niche recommendation would be Echo Night Beyond. One of my favorite of Fromsoft's games. Just a tremendous sense of atmosphere and setting. Really interesting non-combat oriented gameplay and exploration. Felt

If you want a more conventional horror game by Fromsoft, I highly recommend Kuon too. Put up a LTTP for it a little while back.

Hellfire

May 26, 2019
Carrier: One of SEGA's attempts at a Resident Evil killer on Dreamcast. It's pretty decent actually, not RESIDENT EVIL quality, but it's got some interesting things (like there's survivors you can save or lock onto and accidentally kill if you mistake them for enemies coming at you). Has plant based enemies on a boat, but better boat setting than the RE games.

Cold Fear: This was kinda' a spiritual sequel to Carrier by some of the devs (and an older game, Deep Fear). Came out after Resident Evil 4, it plays somewhere between RE4 and the older Re games, but also set on a boat/oil rig. Rough spots, but it has its moments. Does this weird thing where it mixes behind the shoulder camera when aiming and in certain areas, but fixed camera in some areas you explore.
If anyone wants to complete the trifecta of boat based Resident Evil clones there is also the untranslated Abyss Boat by Utawarerumono developer Leaf. It's an upside down boat PC game that plays like RE 2 with the occasional Punch Out with guns fight. For extra obscure points it's not listed on Moby Games or Leaf's English wiki page.

Oct 27, 2017
Haunting Ground
Parasite Eve
Siren 1 and 2, and the ps3 reimagining
Manhunt 1 (Crazy how this game actually was scary when I first played it, even though it isn't super natrual).
Kuon
I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream
Cold Fear
The Suffering 1 and 2
Fear Effect 1 and 2
System Shock 1 and 2
Doom 3
Doom 64

Not sure if Deadly Premonition counts but I recommend it.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Just remembered Lone survivor that game was great. I didnt play much of Yomawari but I still need to get back to it since it had an awesome style and unique horror mechanics, not really retro games but have many retro inspirations (mostly Silent hill).

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
The Fatal Frame series is excellent, and I personally prefer those games to Silent Hill (and would rank the "big 3" survival horror series of that era as RE > FF> SH).

FF 1-3 have a very consistent quality and you can't go wrong with any of them. I downloaded them on PS3 several years back and played them all in order. FF4 is a bit different and you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to play it outside of Japan, but it is worth it if you end up liking the other games.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
There's so many I could recommend, but if really dipping your toes into older horror games for the first time (and already tackling the Silent Hill games), then some I'd throw out there (a few of these I'm keeping your taste in mind as well). Going to limit myself to the PS1/PS2/Dreamcast so I don't go overboard, and know there are more games on these platforms I'd recommend but I'm going to toss out some of my absolute favorites and some others I think you may be able to appreciate Jawie. I'm going to try and limit myself to 10-12 games.

This is in no specific order.

Hellnight: This game is simple but I really like it. First-person dungeon crawler with a few point'n'click bits (but very simple) where you get chased by a single monster that slowly mutates and evolves as the game goes on. Story branches based on who you have with you in a sorta' partner perma-death system. Story is pretty tame until the last third of the game, where it goes into very odd places.

Nightmare Creatures 1 & 2: These were old action-horror games, they may be a bit dated by today's standards but they're still pretty creative and fun, and are among the first action-horror games to exist in the 3D space, so I feel you might get some appreciation for them Jawie.

Fatal Frame games: See others are recommending them, but yeah Fatal Frame games are worth playing FF1 is flawed but has good stuff. FF2 is the fan favorite, but FF3 is my personal favorite. Fatal Frame despite not selling as well often gets mentioned in the same breath as Resident Evil and Silent Hill for a reason, it's well done for what it is, and the camera combat is a lot more fun than it may sound on paper (I think you may actually really like this one, it's got kinda' a point system not too dissimilar to Dino Crisis 2's, but per ghost encounter rather than per room).

Illbleed: This is a zany one and one of the weirdest games you'll play. You enter a horror amusement park to save your friends (who you can unlock to play as) and use a horror monitor to progress. Gameplay is weird, game doesn't always explain what to do, gameplay is so-so, but this game makes up for all of it for just how absolutely batshit insane this game actually is. You go to six different "attractions" each with a B-Horror movie plot, and each one with quite a bit to surprise you with.

The Suffering: There's also a sequel. It was a PS2/Xbox/PC action-horror game where you play an escaped convict on a prison island where Hell has been set lose and you go guns blazing through horrors somewhere between demonic and psychological. I think you'd get some enjoyment out of it.

Carrier: One of SEGA's attempts at a Resident Evil killer on Dreamcast. It's pretty decent actually, not RESIDENT EVIL quality, but it's got some interesting things (like there's survivors you can save or lock onto and accidentally kill if you mistake them for enemies coming at you). Has plant based enemies on a boat, but better boat setting than the RE games.

Cold Fear: This was kinda' a spiritual sequel to Carrier by some of the devs (and an older game, Deep Fear). Came out after Resident Evil 4, it plays somewhere between RE4 and the older Re games, but also set on a boat/oil rig. Rough spots, but it has its moments. Does this weird thing where it mixes behind the shoulder camera when aiming and in certain areas, but fixed camera in some areas you explore.

Extermination: This one you may personally enjoy, some of the people that worked and wrote the older Resident Evil games worked on this. It's kinda' a poor man's Resident Evil meets Metal Gear, but the novelty of a game somewhere between Resident Evil and Metal Gear still gives it appeal.

Kuon: Game by From Software before the Souls game, it's a sorta action-horror game in ancient Japan where you use spells to fight monsters in a Resident Evil-styled game. Three different character stories to go through (two main ones and a "final" unlockable one)

Clock Tower 3: You listed Haunting Ground, make sure you check out CT3. Haunting Ground is the better game, but CT3 is the older game that inspired it, and it is one of the funniest horror games you'll ever play. It was the first game Capcom used motion capture on, and the person who directed the cutscenes and story was a Japanese film director who loved this one type of Japanese overtly-express drama theater, and it fucking shows and the story is actually hilarious involving you becoming a magical girl to fight the ghost of murderers. I think you'd appreciate it.

I see someone mentioned Galerians, I'd recommend it too. It's an old PS1 Horror-RPG but you get psychic powers to blow people's heads off and it plays a bit like a Resident Evil game but with some RPG elements (not turn-based though and battles happen on the map like a Resident Evil game). I haven't gotten around to playing the PS2 sequel yet, but I hear many like it less, but I'll mention it exists and not sure the "popular word" is accurate or not.

I'm tempted to recommend more, but I'll stop there. Not on these platforms I don't know if you ever got around to playing Deadly Premonition, it's worth checking out. If you haven't played the Condemned games, you should (first one is on Steam and goes on sale regularly for like $4). Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is good, but can be a bitch to get to run on modern computers. God, I said I'd write some favorites but I feel I'm barely scratching the surface here, and some of these are kinda' rough recommends but I did find them incredibly charming and think you might enjoy them.

I saw you tried to play Forbidden Siren recently. I enjoyed it, but I warn it is one tough cookie to get into. It's quite long and takes a while to figure out how the game's "logic" works for progression, but there's a lot of good moments in it. If you still have your PS3 around I'd recommend trying Siren: Blood Curse. It's not a replacement for playing the first game as it's quite different, but it's a reimagining that's more accessible and I think might be a good option to sink your teeth into (it's not nearly as cryptic or hard as the first game, but the first game is up there as sometimes one of the most cryptic and challenging horror games, so it's still fairly challenging just on a more normal type of way).

Thanks for this super post. A few of these I bought like the suffering, and i've been wondering about others like Nightmare Creatures. Always saw a ton of ads for the 2nd one.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's so many I could recommend, but if really dipping your toes into older horror games for the first time (and already tackling the Silent Hill games), then some I'd throw out there (a few of these I'm keeping your taste in mind as well). Going to limit myself to the PS1/PS2/Dreamcast so I don't go overboard, and know there are more games on these platforms I'd recommend but I'm going to toss out some of my absolute favorites and some others I think you may be able to appreciate Jawie. I'm going to try and limit myself to 10-12 games.

This is in no specific order.

Hellnight: This game is simple but I really like it. First-person dungeon crawler with a few point'n'click bits (but very simple) where you get chased by a single monster that slowly mutates and evolves as the game goes on. Story branches based on who you have with you in a sorta' partner perma-death system. Story is pretty tame until the last third of the game, where it goes into very odd places.

Nightmare Creatures 1 & 2: These were old action-horror games, they may be a bit dated by today's standards but they're still pretty creative and fun, and are among the first action-horror games to exist in the 3D space, so I feel you might get some appreciation for them Jawie.

Fatal Frame games: See others are recommending them, but yeah Fatal Frame games are worth playing FF1 is flawed but has good stuff. FF2 is the fan favorite, but FF3 is my personal favorite. Fatal Frame despite not selling as well often gets mentioned in the same breath as Resident Evil and Silent Hill for a reason, it's well done for what it is, and the camera combat is a lot more fun than it may sound on paper (I think you may actually really like this one, it's got kinda' a point system not too dissimilar to Dino Crisis 2's, but per ghost encounter rather than per room).

Illbleed: This is a zany one and one of the weirdest games you'll play. You enter a horror amusement park to save your friends (who you can unlock to play as) and use a horror monitor to progress. Gameplay is weird, game doesn't always explain what to do, gameplay is so-so, but this game makes up for all of it for just how absolutely batshit insane this game actually is. You go to six different "attractions" each with a B-Horror movie plot, and each one with quite a bit to surprise you with.

The Suffering: There's also a sequel. It was a PS2/Xbox/PC action-horror game where you play an escaped convict on a prison island where Hell has been set lose and you go guns blazing through horrors somewhere between demonic and psychological. I think you'd get some enjoyment out of it.

Kuon: Game by From Software before the Souls game, it's a sorta action-horror game in ancient Japan where you use spells to fight monsters in a Resident Evil-styled game. Three different character stories to go through (two main ones and a "final" unlockable one)

Clock Tower 3: You listed Haunting Ground, make sure you check out CT3. Haunting Ground is the better game, but CT3 is the older game that inspired it, and it is one of the funniest horror games you'll ever play. It was the first game Capcom used motion capture on, and the person who directed the cutscenes and story was a Japanese film director who loved this one type of Japanese overtly-express drama theater, and it fucking shows and the story is actually hilarious involving you becoming a magical girl to fight the ghost of murderers. I think you'd appreciate it.

I see someone mentioned Galerians, I'd recommend it too. It's an old PS1 Horror-RPG but you get psychic powers to blow people's heads off and it plays a bit like a Resident Evil game but with some RPG elements (not turn-based though and battles happen on the map like a Resident Evil game). I haven't gotten around to playing the PS2 sequel yet, but I hear many like it less, but I'll mention it exists and not sure the "popular word" is accurate or not.

I'm tempted to recommend more, but I'll stop there. Not on these platforms I don't know if you ever got around to playing Deadly Premonition, it's worth checking out. If you haven't played the Condemned games, you should (first one is on Steam and goes on sale regularly for like $4). Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is good, but can be a bitch to get to run on modern computers. God, I said I'd write some favorites but I feel I'm barely scratching the surface here, and some of these are kinda' rough recommends but I did find them incredibly charming and think you might enjoy them.

I saw you tried to play Forbidden Siren recently. I enjoyed it, but I warn it is one tough cookie to get into. It's quite long and takes a while to figure out how the game's "logic" works for progression, but there's a lot of good moments in it. If you still have your PS3 around I'd recommend trying Siren: Blood Curse. It's not a replacement for playing the first game as it's quite different, but it's a reimagining that's more accessible and I think might be a good option to sink your teeth into (it's not nearly as cryptic or hard as the first game, but the first game is up there as sometimes one of the most cryptic and challenging horror games, so it's still fairly challenging just on a more normal type of way).
one for the bookmarks, thanks

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It's a rare one, but Kuon on the PS2. Developed by From Software, it's set during Japan's Heian era and is an old-fashioned ghost story with three playable characters.

There's a full playthrough up on YouTube for those interested:

CKT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 1, 2020
Not sure how far back "retro" is these days, but this is a little hidden gem on the PS2/Xbox/PC. RE style game very well done.
latest

CKT

Banned
Feb 1, 2020
Harvester - Perhaps the most fucked up, twisted and bizarre game ever made. To this day I still cannot fathom how such a game can exist
I've never heard of this, but reading the story summary on wiki it sounds very interesting. Is it better read about than played?

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I've gone through people's posts so I'll do my best not to repeat any of the games that have already been recommended.

-Deep Fear (Sega Saturn): tank control with 2D prerendered BGs and 3D characters. Takes place in underwater and has some game mechanics specific to the setting. The story is creepy and the atmosphere, claustrophobic. Quite a bit like Enemy Zero in that sense. Too bad the voice acting is absolutely horrible.
deepfear04-320x224.jpg

-D2 (Sega Dreamcast): You are Laura, a survivor of a plane crash, stranded in the snowy mountains of Canada that's littered with mutated humans. Amazing themes and character development, story's just as interesting, pacing is slow though. The gameplay's anything but terrifying, thanks to infinite machine gun bullets, RPG elements and a rockin' beat at the end of every random battle. It's stlil a game that obviously has had a lot of care put into, and it's also Kenji Eno's last game before passing away. :(
There is also no need to play either D or Enemy Zero to play D2, as they are not connected.
51KJ40139RL.jpg

-Sweet Home (NES): An RPG with horror elements by Capcom, based on a movie of the same name. Some people consider this the predecessor to Resident Evil 1 due cutscenes of doors opening when you leave a zone. There are level ups, puzzles and items. The backstory of the game is told through frescoes and notes of people who passed away in the mansion. Oh, and when characters die, it's permadeath immediately.
It's been translated 100% in English by fans.
sweet-home-10.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

-Dead of the Brain 1 (PC-98): A horror visual novel game on PC-98. Your scientist friend has developed a serum that revives dead organisms, but they crave brain upon awakening! It's finally been translated in English by a fan and if you can find it online, it probably will already come packaged with DOSBox, ready to be enjoyed. It has only one or two jump scares, but the rest of the game is very scary and creepy. It does a good job at building up suspense and keeping it that way for a long time.
Fortunately, you cannot end up in an unwinnable state in this game and if you die, during QTE-like moments, you can always reload.
Worth going through it as it's fairly short, has that creepy retro horror game vibe, and the very clean pixel art is wonderful to look at (like most PC-98 games).
maxresdefault.jpg

-Waxworks (PC): An RPG adventure game by Horrorsoft on PC-DOS. With a company name like that, you know exactly what to expect. If you can get past the relentless difficulty and cheap sudden deaths, you'll be able to appreciate the sheer horror of this gory game.
There are LOTS of very graphic death scenes, one for each type of enemy that kills, and each trap that you get caught in. Some of them are the most graphic deaths I've ever seen.
It's available on GOG.
maxresdefault.jpg
73362-waxworks-screenshot.jpg

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
yeida1r.gif

www.gog.com

Alone in the Dark

Alone in the Dark weaves a chilling tapestry of psychological horror and Southern Gothic
I was going to mention the old Alone in the Dark games. I was watching some long plays of the first game the past couple days and it's like looking at a bizarro Resident Evil clone almost (even though it came out years before RE).

It's weird that this game scared me when I was younger. It's not exactly what I'd call an "obscure" or "lesser known" game though.

In case OP doesn't feel like playing it, but still wants to see it.

youtu.be

PC Longplay [248] Alone in the Dark (Infogrames)

http://www.longplays.org Played by: Deskawa Launched in 1992, this is game is truly a pioneer. It's probably the first game the successfully merged the actio...

For a second that thumbnail made me think it was Black Hole Sun, lol.

I loved Phantasmagoria when I was younger, but I'm not sure if that's really what they're looking for.

It's a rare one, but Kuon on the PS2. Developed by From Software, it's set during Japan's Heian era and is an old-fashioned ghost story with three playable characters.

There's a full playthrough up on YouTube for those interested:

Only skimmed the video, not a proper watch, but from what I saw this looks pretty rad.

Last edited:

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna give shoutouts to "the suffering " reminded me of an action game set in silent hill done right. There is a second one but I hear that one kind of went off the rails

Vandal Deca

Oct 21, 2018
Here's what I call retro horror: The Legacy: Realm of Terror, published by Microprose in 1992 and developed by Magnetic Scrolls. It's available on GOG for $6 US. If you'd rather just watch it played, here you go:

Legacy is one of my favorite horror games. I had still have a boxed copy of this on 3.5" floppies that I got back when it was new and spooked myself pretty good playing late at night on my 486. The game takes place in modern times, but is steeped in very Lovecraftian lore, including demons from the Astral plane, fishmen, 17th century witchcraft and such.

The game itself is an RPG with 4-direction movement and the ability to turn left/right 90 degrees, a la Dungeon Master or similar. But, oddly, it had a window-based interface where you could drag and resize individual components of the UI, like the player's perspective view, the map, the inventory, etc. In practice the screen resolution was so low that there was not much point in reorganizing the UI, at least in my opinion.

Lastly: I absolutely love the music in this game. It's just FM synth like most PC game music was back then, but it's fantastic. Trivia: the composer of the soundtrack was John Broomhall who has gone on to score many more games, including several from the Forza Motorsport series, Heavenly Sword, and Phoenix Point.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
As a fan of old-school RE and DC, I've always been fond of Parasite Eve II. The first 50-60% is great in my opinion: fantastic environments and atmosphere --Dryfields is one of my favourite environments in any survival horror game. And thanks to it being a late Square release, the graphics are some of the best on the system, better than its Capcom equivalents, with some insane in-game background effects and incredible FMV.

Unfortunately, the game goes downhill rapidly in its latter stages as it introduces more and more unavoidable combat encounters, with more and more frustrating enemy types...it just becomes a frustrating, difficult chore, and the late-game environments aren't compelling enough to make it worth it.

I recommend playing to the end of Dryfields then watching the rest on YT.

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
I've never heard of this, but reading the story summary on wiki it sounds very interesting. Is it better read about than played?

Could always check a let's play of it, but the game goes really cheap on steam and GoG during sales... it's like 4 bucks at the moment. I mean there is no other games like it, every character you meet in this town is like a stereotype cranked up to eleven. It gets quite offensive at times and shockingly gory. There is even a fighting mechanic and you can attack and (try to) kill every person you meet, just keep in mind if you kill too many you'll be sendt to the electric chair lol. As I was playing it I was more flabbergasted and fascinated that such a game could exist. It definitely requires a high toleranse for the dark and twisted though.

Pushinguproses also made a video talking about the game:

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Do "I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream" and "Shadow of the Comet" count as horror? If so I guess them. Though be aware SOTC has to be played with keyboard only and is very hard, often for annoying reasons.

Escaflow

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Fatal Frame 1 & 2 is a must must must play .

And let me introduce you The Thing (spin off from the movie) OP . It's a pretty decent horror game , although I'm not sure where to find this game on PC anymore

TheThing-shot1.jpg