• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11157

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good tip, never even thought to do this. Ive looked into making ramen at home (with premade noodles) but it seems very labor intensive and maybe easy to fuck up
If you want to be real lazy, just use Knorr buillon cubes for the soup base. The premade noodles just dunk in some hot water to loosen them up and get rid of the oil. And dump in whatever leftover green you have laying around. Cheap but filling.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
I've never actually had real ramen from a restaurant, only instant. For most of my life I'd been eating Maruchan, but just recently switched to

20130917-chicken-instant-ramen-taste-test-3.jpg

World of difference.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
GO TO JAPAN.
Every day since leaving that country my mouth longs for that authentic ramen taste. I shall be back my beloved Nippon.

Oct 27, 2017
If you want to be real lazy, just use Knorr buillon cubes for the soup base. The premade noodles just dunk in some hot water to loosen them up and get rid of the oil. And dump in whatever leftover green you have laying around. Cheap but filling.

This is quality poverty food, but i can see it being versatile too. I should keep some boullion on hand.

GO TO JAPAN.
Every day since leaving that country my mouth longs for that authentic ramen taste. I shall be back my beloved Nippon.

Despite being really into japanese stuff, i have no desire to go there--except to try the ramen.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
be7492c6a36513eff2fc131109e82bf3c71e7783.jpg

You have the Flu? Eat this... afterwards, you will NOT be thinking about your Flu symptoms :)

Keyboard

simply go to hakata in fukuoka and enjoy some fine ramen, sickness is nothing compared to that
GO TO JAPAN.

Menya Ama Noja Ku 2 Chome-2-6 Tomio Motomachi, Nara-shi, Nara-ken 631-0078 0742-47-7991 https://goo.gl/maps/GZedBRTF2rn

If you are in Nara, please go and eat here. It's my absolute no. 1 raamen shop. Long lines, small shop but extremely tasty broth and meat that is so tender it breaks up with a touch of a chopstick.

Last time I was in Japan, I think I went to a place called Ichiran (Yi-Lan?), which I think is a Fukuoka chain.

I distinctly remember how little interaction there was between customer and server.

Customers prepay at an electronic coin machine that prints out order tickets. No tip.

Seating was designed for one person at a bar stool like setting with walls separating each person.

Each seat includes a personal ice water dispenser on tap.

Simply fill out a form and hand it to the server in front. You don't even get to see the server's face.

Wait a few minutes and server arrives back with a bowl of ramen.

Pay a coin (forgot how much yen) for kaedama (more noodles).

Ever since that experience, nothing in the USA has matched it. Ramen here tastes like stuff made from refrigerated instant noodle section.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to be able to make cheap mid-range ramen that I can throw together in under an hour that can make multiple servings in a way that's cheaper than buying it at a restauraunt. Oh and I want to be able to find the ingredients in a New Zealand supermarket, since that's where I live. Do you have any tips, Era?

My preference is chicken ramen with a miso base.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
That Shin Black Ramen is about $38 for a pack of 18 on Amazon.

NO DEAL.

I might make some Maruchan now tonight or tomorrow, but I really should head to the corner market and see if they have fresh green onion as that would make it way better.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
So is restaurant ramen really that good?
depends entirely on if that restaurant knows how to make good ramen. but i think that ramen as a food outside of japan has this image
attached to it by anyone who doesnt know what traditional ramen is. yeah, thats instant ramen. not even in the same realm as a legitimate bowl of ramen. if you've never had a REAL bowl of ramen, then you are seriously missing out. it is fucking life changing. just like having your first piece of medium rare steak after growing up with your parent's ruining it your whole life by cooking it well done.

Last edited:

Keyboard

depends entirely on if that restaurant knows how to make good ramen. but i think that ramen as a food outside of japan has this image

attached to it by anyone who doesnt know what traditional ramen is. yeah, thats instant ramen. not even in the same realm as a legitimate bowl of ramen. if you've never had a REAL bowl of ramen, then you are seriously missing out. it is fucking life changing. just like having your first piece of medium rare steak after growing up with your parent's ruining your whole life by cooking it well done.
Oh please. Life changing?

I put pho and beef noodle soup above ramen any day of the week.

Deleted member 22649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maru Ichi in Mountain View, CA.

Get the Kuro Ramen.

They have browned garlic pieces in a jar on the table. Chow down, man.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
We have a place in the East Bay that serves a legendary ramen. It keeps switching owners but the ramen comes out the same. It switched to matsuri awhile ago, and now it switched again to something else. But goddam is it good.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
So is restaurant ramen really that good?

Well. Most places I get it around here (ca) it's just okay. Rich, but with a kind of woody flavor. Almost like an acquired taste. I can enjoy it.

But if you can find a good one, holy shit it's heaven. About anyone who's ever enjoyed any kind of soup would love it right away.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
0e0de7ce-737d-48c7-a17c-836d40baf3dc
fGgRMqN.jpg

pro-tip: get pre-cooked pork belly at the store

Every time I see shots of ramen, mostly in Anime, I always think "There's no way that's going to fill me up."

Isn't it basically soup with a little bit of meat and even less veggies? That's practically an appetizer.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I see shots of ramen, mostly in Anime, I always think "There's no way that's going to fill me up."

Isn't it basically soup with a little bit of meat and even less veggies? That's practically an appetizer.
There's a lot of noodles submerged in that broth.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I decided to take my own advice and eat the Samyang Hot Chicken Ramen package... I bought a 5 pack, and is the first time I've ever actually had them

I've had much spicier things in my life... it's certainly hot, but there are worse things... and I didn't even need milk or anything, just a regular cold diet ginger ale.

I think I read some reviews saying they thought the noodles in this thing were really good... they weren't kidding... I've always been used to certain type of ramen noodles... this stuff is like... a step above somehow... reminds me of eating jellyfish

Last edited: