• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I have ZERO issues with passwords on anything. No my iCloud. Not Netflix. Not O365. Not paying my mortgage. Not ... anything. I've maybe reset one or two passwords in my entire life (other than when they're compromised or I want to do it intentionally).

With one exception.

I purchased a car about three years ago, and the loan was through Wells Fargo. In a three or four month time, it claimed my password was incorrect multiple times. I called in, and they couldn't do anything other than help me reset it. So I did. A few months later, it didn't work. I called again and asked if they do rolling resets or if I must log in every X amount of months in order to avoid this. He confirmed no, and implied I must have simply forgot. Whatever... I did auto-pay anyway and was really just curious to the balance of my account. So for two years or so I literally never looked at my account again until it was paid off.

Got a new car this February. Wells Fargo. lol. And since, I've had to reset my password twice. So this time, I literally recorded myself typing in my username and password and getting in. It's an ABSURDLY convoluted password - like, crazy long lots of symbols and letters and numbers - and I also wrote it down and hid the password.

Two months later, today? I go to sign in and... wouldn't you know it... password is incorrect. No email alerts. I call, and they claim I must have just forgotten it. BULLSHIT. Total, 100% bullshit. I can literally confirm that both what I wrote down and in my secured video match what I'm typing in.

Fortunately, for me, it's no big deal really. I use auto-pay and it's really just out of curiosity. But I'm positive this just absolutely f***s people who are living on a tight budget and might go in to pay the last day before it's due. It feels skeezy... I certainly have no " proof," but I feel I have a lot of evidence something very wonky is going on.

Anyone else ever run into something like this?

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, I hate it. At this point I just keep my checking account number handy to copy/paste to recover my password because my Chrome saved passwords can't keep up with all the changes.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I've alway heard Wells Fargo was crappy. They were also caught with outright criminality.

Oct 25, 2017
I've read lots of horror stories about Wells Fargo but never had any issues with them personally (was with them for about 10 years or so) but ended up switching to a credit union for better rates and such.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Use a password manager, then you can throw it in their face when they say you "must have forgotten it".

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me at this point. They've already proven time and time again that they'll sink to any level to make money off of their "customers".

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
Stop using Wells Fargo.

fuckers created accounts under my name with my knowledge then fined them for inactivity. Still working to recover my credit score.

At least once they got busted for it they sent me a nice letter saying they would forgive the debt.
They should not be allowed to do business, go anywhere else for your banking OP

Aisod

Mar 21, 2020
Cant say I have had any issues with WF. My PW has been the same on it for 15 years.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't personally had any issues in all the time I've been at Wells Fargo, though I'd love to switch to my local credit union, the only thing keeping me at WF is the fact that they have my mortgage and my one credit card so it's easier to just keep everything in the one place for convenience.

That said, why are you managing long random passwords by writing them down rather than a password manager?

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I have a AMEX propel card with them. Any chance they try to pull a fast on me if I'm barely using this card? So far I have no issues, but I don't 100% trust this company.

And also, use credit unions for this kind of stuff OP...

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Damn. Just signed for a car loan with them. I tried the local credit unions but their interest rate was higher then wells Fargo. So I went with them.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Make sure those evil motherfuckers didn't sign you up for a million credit cards without your permission too

I would advise you to move to a different banking institution as fast as humanly possible. If we lived in a just or even just sane world their business would have been shuttered and their execs charged long ago

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
I just got a mortgage with them.. Hopefully it'll be fine if I just set up auto-pay.

mrchad

Oct 27, 2017
Do you use a password manager OP? I had a similar issue with a different site and LastPass a while back because the auto form fill feature somehow started populating the password field (with a different value than the stored password from my vault). It took a lot of password resets and trial and error to find an correct the issue.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I've only ever heard terrible things about Wells Fargo.

Glad to be banking with my company's credit union.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had WF for my home loan for about 6 years. I didn't have autopay turned on, but I did log in frequently and never had to reset my password during that time. (Used the same one for 6 years.)

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
The only ding on my credit report is because of Wells Fargo. Never had a good interaction with them, but they were my only banking option for a while.

The Llama

Oct 27, 2017
Knock on wood, haven't had any issues with Wells Fargo in the ~5 years I've been using them (used to use PNC but switched when I got a mortgage with WF).

That said, somewhat ironically given the calls for OP to use a password manager, their website has caused issues for me with Lastpass in Safari. Sometimes the Lastpass extension doesn't detect it's on the WF website and gives me the password for the last website I used it for. Took me forever to realize what was going on, though fortunately I never had to reset my PW because of it or anything.

Oct 29, 2017
Something else that's shit is no autopay. Huntington loan web portal is piss poor. I have to log in monthly to pay and enter my bank info.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
Never blame on malice what can be attributed to incompetence. A project I worked on would return a password needs to be updated page to the user when the auth backend was down. I'd bet a dollar that is what happened here.

Handicapped Duck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
WellsFargo sucks, but changing banks from one shitty company to another isn't going to help me. Credit Unions are cool, but they few and far between. Usually having to drive outta the way to get to them. Argh, I should just switched, but it's not fun to.

I feel for you OP.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Something else that's shit is no autopay. Huntington loan web portal is piss poor. I have to log in monthly to pay and enter my bank info.
The only reason not to support autopay is because you want your customers to pay late.

I feel like I got lucky getting my mortgage through my own credit union, because they already have direct access to my accounts, so setting up autopay was dead easy. And they remind me if the 1st falls on a weekend, and tell me straight up that I won't be penalized for the payment going through on the next available business day.

Oct 29, 2017
The only reason not to support autopay is because you want your customers to pay late.

I feel like I got lucky getting my mortgage through my own credit union, because they already have direct access to my accounts, so setting up autopay was dead easy. And they remind me if the 1st falls on a weekend, and tell me straight up that I won't be penalized for the payment going through on the next available business day.
I think one thing I've learned is that I'm never buying from a car dealership again. Not worth it.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
I have had password issues before with them but they have sorted it out quickly and I have been able to make my payment fine.

I have Wells Fargo unfortunately for my Mortgage. No real issues so far but I did take advantage of the mortgage relief program for the past 3 months. Anyhow, since my 3 month limit was running out at the end of July, I called to sort out options for repayment with the top option being a secured federal loan that gets tacked on to the end. Long story short(er), I was instructed to fill out a form and wait for something in the mail to close the agreement. It's been weeks now and I haven't had any updates or received anything, so I call and ask if should be paying my mortgage for this month, which is now due, even though when I attempt to make a payment online it states I would be paying for May . I was literally told by the person I spoke to "If I was a betting man, I would wait. They will probably just tack this on to the loan. They should contact you soon". I dunno. I'm getting nervous about this. I feel like they are trying to pull something on me. I hate this.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what's going on but it seems very unlikely that the system is forgetting your password. Maybe someone is trying to login with your account unsuccessfully and it's getting locked

Mugsy

Oct 27, 2017
I have ZERO issues with passwords on anything. No my iCloud. Not Netflix. Not O365. Not paying my mortgage. Not ... anything. I've maybe reset one or two passwords in my entire life (other than when they're compromised or I want to do it intentionally).

With one exception.

I purchased a car about three years ago, and the loan was through Wells Fargo. In a three or four month time, it claimed my password was incorrect multiple times. I called in, and they couldn't do anything other than help me reset it. So I did. A few months later, it didn't work. I called again and asked if they do rolling resets or if I must log in every X amount of months in order to avoid this. He confirmed no, and implied I must have simply forgot. Whatever... I did auto-pay anyway and was really just curious to the balance of my account. So for two years or so I literally never looked at my account again until it was paid off.

Got a new car this February. Wells Fargo. lol. And since, I've had to reset my password twice. So this time, I literally recorded myself typing in my username and password and getting in. It's an ABSURDLY convoluted password - like, crazy long lots of symbols and letters and numbers - and I also wrote it down and hid the password.

Two months later, today? I go to sign in and... wouldn't you know it... password is incorrect. No email alerts. I call, and they claim I must have just forgotten it. BULLSHIT. Total, 100% bullshit. I can literally confirm that both what I wrote down and in my secured video match what I'm typing in.

Fortunately, for me, it's no big deal really. I use auto-pay and it's really just out of curiosity. But I'm positive this just absolutely f***s people who are living on a tight budget and might go in to pay the last day before it's due. It feels skeezy... I certainly have no " proof," but I feel I have a lot of evidence something very wonky is going on.

Anyone else ever run into something like this?
I know what is happening because it happened to me. There is a maximum length for their passwords of something like 14 characters, very easy to run into. However the form for entering your new passwords is limited by this character limit and will stop typing at a point but they will not let you know that the typing stopped. So you will enter a 20 character password and not realisze the typing ended after character 14. So if you attempted to set your password to 12345678901234567890 it would stop typing and when you submit your password will actually be 12345678901234. The login screen has no character limit and you will type the full 12345678901234567890 and that will obviously not work.

This is terrible and deceptive web design and I do not know why they have a low password character limit anyway, probably some old database issue. Make a smaller password within the limit of characters (I think they state the limit somewhere or you can test with the password change screen to see when it stops letting you type.) and then it will work and not be changing your password. It drove me crazy one night since the password I was trying was 1 character over the limit until I discovered the password change was stopping me typing the last character and it blew my mind.
tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Edit: I had the forms switched on which had the limit

Last edited:

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know what is happening because it happened to me. There is a maximum length for their passwords of something like 14 characters, very easy to run into. However the form for entering your new passwords is limited by this character limit and will stop typing at a point but they will not let you know that the typing stopped. So you will enter a 20 character password and not realisze the typing ended after character 14. So if you attempted to set your password to 12345678901234567890 it would stop typing and when you submit your password will actually be 12345678901234. The login screen has no character limit and you will type the full 12345678901234567890 and that will obviously not work.

This is terrible and deceptive web design and I do not know why they have a low password character limit anyway, probably some old database issue. Make a smaller password within the limit of characters (I think they state the limit somewhere or you can test with the password change screen to see when it stops letting you type.) and then it will work and not be changing your password. It drove me crazy one night since the password I was trying was 1 character over the limit until I discovered the password change was stopping me typing the last character and it blew my mind.
tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Edit: I had the forms switched on which had the limit

I don't think this is correct, unless there are multiple WF systems.

I just logged into my account and went to the password management page. It says the limit is 32 characters. I used my pw manager to change it to a 32 char pwd. The login page accepts my 32 char password and doesn't accept it if i chop some characters off the end.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
OP, do you possibly use VPN? I know that some sites (e.g. BestBuy.com) indicate that I have entered the wrong password even though I have not if I am connected via VPN.