• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

30fps or 60+fps?

• 30fps is perfectly fine

Votes: 1,414 50.5%
  • 60+fps all the way

Votes: 1,388 49.5%

• Total voters
Dec 15, 2017
I just beat demons souls on an FX 6300 at stock speeds so go figure... Blightownish frame rates whenever there were many enemies on screen or fire.
60 fps minumum is a must for 2d games fighters and shooters though.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
That's mostly the reason I play all multi platforms on PC. A lot of console ports are locked at 30 fps whereas I can get 1080@60 on PC. I can't go back either.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Do you not own or game on consoles?
I own an Xbox One X and a PS4Pro. But beyond loading them up for work and doing the necessary testing and comparison work there, or just testing out a games graphics, I do not actively complete games on them. I am the person covering PC games on the channel.

I did play and beat Halo 5 on Xbox one X, and most of the MCC. Oh and Killer Instinct before it came to PC as well.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Only play N64 games on original hardware for a month, it'll make you appreciate 30 FPS and 720/1080 far more

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I own an Xbox One X and a PS4Pro. But beyond loading them up for work and doing the necessary testing and comparison work there, or just testing out a games graphics, I do not actively complete games on them. I am the person covering PC games on the channel.

I did play and beat Halo 5 on Xbox one X, and most of the MCC. Oh and Killer Instinct before it came to PC as well.

But if you haven't played a 30fps game since 2007, you've missed out on some incredible exclusives and titles along the way.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
This poll doesn't match the title at all so I'll just say 60+ fps is vastly preferred for me, but 30 fps is not a total dealbreaker in that I literally can't go back to it or anything like that.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I am honestly having a Hard time remembering the last time I beat game that hovered around 30 fps constantly or was just half refresh 30.
Crysis?
Even the old console Stuff I have been playing always seemed target 60 now that I think about it.
It has been a while.
I experimented with coming to Grips with 30 in 2015 but decided in the end it just was too janky looking for me even with the best per object blurs.
The display you're using is certainly a factor.
I believe it's due to image persistence rather than response times, but I don't have an OLED here (with high persistence but low response times) to test that theory.

30 FPS is bordering on unplayable for me on LCD displays, but since getting a DLP projector I've found it a lot easier to tolerate - despite the much larger image size (which is usually worse for motion sickness).
DLPs have response times measured in microseconds and probably have moderate persistence due to the way they draw the image (it's difficult to measure on DLP or Plasma without specialized equipment though).
CRTs have low-to-moderate response times, but extremely low persistence - so 30 FPS results in very clear double-images.

Any low persistence display will show repeat images in motion for 30 FPS games (unless driven at 30Hz) but they will be crisp images rather than blurred - which I think is what makes it more tolerable.
While I would want the lowest persistence possible at 60Hz for 60 FPS games, I think you probably want something in the middle for 30 FPS games on a 60Hz display. Low response times, but moderate persistence.
This year's OLEDs will be interesting, as I think their new black frame insertion options should correspond to a 60Hz refresh that is tunable between 4.17, 8.33, and 12.5ms persistence.

As long as there is no frame tearing, I'm good. Try getting spoiled by G-Sync or FreeSync.
You don't need VRR to eliminate screen tearing - that's v-sync's job. VRR is about smoothness and latency.
I must say that having been used to a 1440p100 G-Sync monitor, the switch to a 1080p120 projector (without VRR) has been difficult at times. It's great when games can hit a steady 120 FPS, but any time they don't is rough - especially since that means dropping to 60 FPS if you want it to be perfectly smooth.
Unfortunately I don't believe that VRR is compatible with a display technology like DLP, and would only be feasible on LCD/LCoS projectors - which I dislike due to their slow response times.

Feels like some exaggeration when talking about 30fps. I play on all systems, have a 2080 yet most of my favourite games are 30fps -- BOTW being one.
It just depends on how it feels, games like BOTW and Horizon feel great at 30 because they have good frame pacing […]
Breath of the Wild is really bad in places.
The path to Zora's Domain makes me extremely motion sick every time due to the bad frame rate/pacing, combined with how low-contrast the image is.
Not just "I feel a bit queasy" but having to go lie down in a dark room for a few hours because my head is spinning - and it doesn't take more than five minutes of playing the game in that area for it to happen.
I completely dropped the game at that point (back in 2017) because it was so bad, and only returned to it recently.

I've posted this before, but I had to play the game with completely jacked-up display settings, via a capture card into a small window on my monitor, in order to make it through that section - and I still had to take frequent breaks.
botw-ootb-gakcd.jpg
botw-fuck-30jfl.jpg

[…] would they feel better at 60? For sure, but it's not unplayable or horrible by any stretch, get used to it and remember that it's a video game that you're supposed to be enjoying.
If you have to "get used to it" that means it's a problem.

I feel bad for you, OP. You are and going to be missing a lot of great games if you can't handle 30fps anymore.
If you are not exclusively a console gamer, you don't really miss out on much if you avoid 30 FPS games.
It's easier than you'd think - especially if you're a working adult without enough free time to play every single game that is released.

Part of it may be genre though. I have practically no interest in Sony's brand of cinematic third-person action games, which cuts out a significant number of 30 FPS games right away.

Buenoblue

Banned
May 5, 2018
That's why I game in PC primarily nowadays. Ryzen 3600 2070 super. Pretty comparable to next gen consoles hopefully they give framerate options.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rank it like this, in order of preference best to worst.

high framerate with G-Sync
60 fps locked
30fps locked
unstable 60fps
20fps locked
unstable 30 fps
unstable 20 fps

Honestly, I can mostly play anything. Once I'm used to it I don't think about it too much. Unstable framerates still suck though. Even 20 fps is playable if it's locked, since it divides evenly into 60.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
To me 30 FPS looks chunkier in momentum. You also can just feel it in gameplay, everything feels bit sluggish and slow to respond.

Ultimately to ones each own, at least for PC. I can understand how this might be a topic of contention for consoles.

For multiplayer, I would think at a certain FPS you would become bottle-necked by latency.

I actually got thinking about this when writing this post, and decided to try and estimate what that might be. So your latency (ms) would have to be 1/FPS or
less to not be bottle-necked. if you have 30 FPS you need a ping of 33.33 ms or less, if you have 60 FPS you need a ping of 16.67 ms.

If anyone wants to call bullshit on my calculation go ahead.

Last edited:

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
30 fps can be fine. After a year playing Apex 60fp I went back to Destiny 30 fps this week and it makes you feel weird at first but once the first gunfight starts you just want to have fun.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Honestly I'll take 20fps so long as it's a consistent frame rate.

Nobody is saying that 60fps isn't better, but I think people put to much focus on that number instead of consistent frame rates.

if it's steady and above 20, I have no issues.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

Nobody is saying that 60fps isn't better, but I think people put to much focus on that number instead of consistent frame rates.

Locked 20fps on a 60hz display is absolutely horrible.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017

I would be even fine with 30spf (seconds per frame) - as long as it's smooth and the frame pacing is consistent.

Amp up the grafix to the max and give us super-crisp 10k.

Animation is overrated anyway.

Jun 7, 2018
Germany
One main reason why I returned to PC were the higher framerates compared to consoles. Playing in 30 fps is horrible but that's just my personal opinion.

FanceeLadd

Jan 17, 2020
Others have said it, but consistency is more important for me than max framerate as well. My motion sickness has gotten progressively worse over the years to the point where I can't play first-person games anymore without getting sick a few minutes into them, but I can still handle third-person games as long as the framerate is consistent. Once there's any jerkiness, though, my stomach bails on me.

BTW, if anyone has any tricks for dealing with motion sickness from games, I'd love to hear them.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Others have said it, but consistency is more important for me than max framerate as well. My motion sickness has gotten progressively worse over the years to the point where I can't play first-person games anymore without getting sick a few minutes into them, but I can still handle third-person games as long as the framerate is consistent. Once there's any jerkiness, though, my stomach bails on me.

BTW, if anyone has any tricks for dealing with motion sickness from games, I'd love to hear them.

Have you tried increasing the FOV (field-of-view) in games that support that option?

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Been replaying DS2 PS4 pro and then switched over to Bloodborne. It felt like slow motion. It was weird. I had never noticed this before. Lol.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
60fps+ all the way. Only reason I play on 30 fps on some games is when there is no other choice.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It wasn't an issue to me until early last year. I play allot of Sea of Thieves and Destiny 2 and seeing them running at 60fps on PC has made me incredibly jealous and I can't wait to get that next gen for those games.

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
I currently struggle with Bloodborne after playing all the Souls games on PC at 60fps. It's not unbearable, but it is extremely noticable.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I've experienced 144 fps gsync so I've been ruined forever.

Swear to god Ill be playing games at 1080p for the rest of my life to get high FPS in games

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been spoiled by 60 FPS in 2D games ever since the NES, and by 60FPS in 3D games ever since the Dreamcast.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I feel like the only time it bothers me is if I'm actively trying to compare 30 to 60. So I don't mind playing a 30 fps game after a 60fps game as long as it's not the same game, or it's a too similar game.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I just played AC Odyssey for 140 hours on PS4, which wasn't even a consistent 30fps, and I had a good time. Playing Ori on XB1 at 60fps of course feels fine. 144fps Devil Daggers is also nice. I can enjoy games at just about any framerate. I mean, I got through Shadow of the Colossus on the original PS2 and it was still my favorite game on the system even though there were tons of titles that ran at 60fps. I'm kinda glad this doesn't have a detrimental effect on me, even though I am fairly sensitive to framerate. For me it's more about framerate consistency and lack of image tearing, but even then, it won't ruin games for me.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
If Nintendo had put something out with muscle, it likely wouldn't have sold very well.

It's a good thing for the industry that Nintendo has found their own way. Having three nearly identical boxes on the marketplace wouldn't have been great for anybody.
Nintendo is just lucky their fan base is ok with weak systems. Meanwhile i would drop $400 on a powerful version of a Nintendo console (not handheld) that actually has the juice.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Those 30fps people need to be burned for witchcraft!
Sign me up!

Nintendo is just lucky their fan base is ok with weak systems. Meanwhile i would drop $400 on a powerful version of a Nintendo console (not handheld) that actually has the juice.
Yep, me too. I would love to see what Nintendo could do without technical compromises. Look at games like Fire Emblem or Pokemon. Even BotW is a blurry mess with messy performance.
Been replaying DS2 PS4 pro and then switched over to Bloodborne. It felt like slow motion. It was weird. I had never noticed this before. Lol.
Yes that's how it is. As 60fps becomes more common more and more people will start to feel this way. Eventually 30fps will be considered outdated just like 240p resolutions nowadays.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Nah. I just want something to be fun. I had fun playing Goldeneye and Perfect Dark at sub 20 FPS. That hasn't changed.

I'd prefer a true 4K resolution before a stable 30+ frame rate.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I had a 144 Hz display for a while and dear god it feels so much smoother then 60 FPS. I upgraded to a 4k monitor at 144 fps recently and my GPU can't push the same frame rate as I did at 1440p. Even when the FPS is higher then 60 FPS, it feels more jittery and this is with G sync. It's fine with a controller for some reason.