• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

30fps or 60+fps?

• 30fps is perfectly fine

Votes: 1,414 50.5%
  • 60+fps all the way

Votes: 1,388 49.5%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm still fine with 30, depending on the game, but yeah my thirst for 60 gets more desperate by the day. When I was young I remember playing PC games at shockingly low framerates just so I could keep all the bells and whistles cranked. Now I tend to tweak like hell to make sure I never notice any hitches.

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have the C9 and play a lot of stuff at 120hz now, 60 is still fine, 30 is impossible. I feel physically sick trying to play 30fps games now.

Nov 8, 2017
If the game is good enough, I'll tolerate 30fps.

But there have been more than a handful of games where 30fps has been a deal-breaker to me. This is especially true in games where there's literally no reason for them being 30fps. Crash Team Racing is a good example; here's a game that runs on a Switch, and yet we can't get 60fps on a PS4 Pro!?

It's almost universally a deal-breaker to me if a "remaster" or port of a previous gen (or older) game is still 30fps. Like, why even bother?

boi

Nov 1, 2017
30fps is perfectly fine. As long as it doesnt go below 25 which is when I notice the drop I'm fully ok with 30. Only where 60fps adds significantly to the experience, say fast racegames and FPS games, I would say it's rather important because you want that precision and smoothness. I don't need that in RDR2 or God of War.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
I can deal no problem if I don't have a choice, like with exclusive console games, but when you get used to 60+ it can be jarring if you switched between the same game.

Nothing1016

Oct 25, 2017
California
It's never bothered me as long as it's locked. I play league and Overwatch at 144 FPS. I then go to play iceborn at 60 and FFXV at 30.

I notice the difference when I switch games but it's no big deal.

PettySpirit

Dec 23, 2018
I regularly play games on both PC and console, sometimes the same games at two different FPS. Monster Hunter World, for example. I prefer 60+fps, of course, but I have no problem jumping back and forth.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
It depends but yes. I go back and forth regularly as I play on PC and Console, and while 30 fps is definitely inferior, it works just fine in some instances. It just takes some time to adjust.

Sometimes having objectively less information can get really weird though.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I can get used to 30 FPS in slower paced games like RPGs etc, but 60 FPS is always better of course. Even a flat-looking game Paper Mario 2 just feels so good at the higher frame rate.

Most recently I found the 30 FPS mode of Forza Horizon 4 particularly objectionable and even a bit nauseating, but the heavy use of motion blur by default might be a contributing factor as well there.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
I went from dark soul 3 on PC to bloodborne on PS4 and it was terrible. That game runs like garbage. Old Yahrnam consistently dipped below 30..It was really really hard to get used to bloodborne's framerate. Such a shame because the game is amazing otherwise

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the best ways to feel the difference between 30 and 60 fps is playing the LAst Of US Remaster on PS4 in 60fps for a few hours and then start playing it in 30fps (you can change it in th eoptions). It's horrible. Like going through tar or bad slow motion.

But to be perfectly honest even if i do prefer 60fps over 30fps i don't have a problem with games being 30 fps. Especially if the fps are nearly locked.

Just going from one to the other isn't a good idea.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
60fps is amazing, but 30 is tolerable.

If you can hit 144 solid it's amazing.

Ultimately most current generation games aren't limited by hardware so much as the focus on graphics over frame rate. It's a decision.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
60 fps is the way; 30 is a poor compromise. I deal with it on console because that's what you get, but when given the option on PC I always aim for 60. Every game plays better at 60 (or higher).

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll tolerate 30 FPS on console exclusives. I'll accept 40-60 FPS in MMO raid settings or genres that commonly have a hard locked 60 FPS on PC at a 32:9 ratio (Like fighting games). Outside of those scenarios, 90 is the minimal sweet spot.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I am honestly having a Hard time remembering the last time I beat game that hovered around 30 fps constantly or was just half refresh 30.
Crysis?
Even the old console Stuff I have been playing always seemed target 60 now that I think about it.
It has been a while.
I experimentd with coming to Grips with 30 in 2015 but decided in the end it just was too janky looking for me even with the best per object blurs.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I really wonder if this is even real, there's no way you can't see the difference.

My wife doesn't see it. She also simply does not care. So yeah, there are people that don't see the difference. She also doesn't notice HDR on/off.

And I feel bad for you, OP. You are and going to be missing a lot of great games if you can't handle 30fps anymore.

I personally don't really care. Sure, 60 is always better, but a fairly steady 30fps works fine for me. I'm used to that within 5 minutes.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Of course I prefer 60, but 30 is totally playable for me unless we are talking about a fighting game or racing game.

Over 60fps I don't care and I think the technical resources would be better invested in other areas.

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
I'm kinda 50/50 on this. I do prefer 60fps all the way, but I also have no problem with a locked 33.3ms with consistent frame-pacing in TP games, e.g. Uncharted 4. For FP perspective, I can't do 30fps, even if it's consistent. FP + lower FOV, with the addition of input lag combined with 30Hz just isn't fun to play.

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
RDR 2 on Xbox one X in 4k 30 was perfectly fine. SP of Farcry 5 as well.

For singleplayer it is acceptable but I won't invest a lot of time in a 30FPS mp game.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
I'm with you OP. I wish 60fps would go BACK to being standard, as it was during the 16 bit era. And here's the usual reminder - it's not the hardware's fault there are so many 30fps games, but the developers who decide to prioritise visuals over framerate.

Also OP, are you aware Doom Eternal will be 60fps on PS4 and XBox?

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Doesn't matter to me as long as it's stable. A fluctuating framerate is worse

Oct 28, 2017
Those who are mentioning you cannot see the difference down side of 60 probably aren't realizing that your desktop is usually running at 60FPS and its the reason why visuals on your desktop feels smooth, I'd ask you to try setting your desktop's monitor refresh rate to 30 Hertz (or 48 Hertz) (if available) to check how crude it feels.

Right Click on Desktop area -> Display Settings -> (scroll down) Advanced Display Settings -> Display Adapter Properties -> Montor -> Screen Refresh Rate -> set it to anything lower than 60 if available

Rey

Oct 27, 2017
I'm absolutely surprised that so many people are fine with 30fps. I play a lot of Destiny 2 lately on PC and Console. All my friends are on PS4 so I have to deal with 30fps if I want to play with them and its utter trash. With the narrow FOV and 30 fps its almost a different game.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018
I do not buy 30 fps games anymore. I am used to a 165hz Gsync Monitor, 30fps is absolutely unplayable for me and gives me a headache.
I really wanted to play Bloodborne on PS4 but the 30fps and horrible frametiming makes it completely unenjoyable for me. :( Hoping for a PC version with unlocked framerate...

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
No. 60 actually feels odd in certain games for me, and camera panning at 60fps can make me sick in open world games with lots of detail. I feel much more at ease in Breath of the Wild than in The Witcher 3 in performance mode.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I have been playing a lot of Modern Warfare lately and going back to 30fps in Journey to the Savage Planet has been tough.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I've played on 30, 60 and 144Hz.
Yeah, 144Hz is pretty damn good, but 60Hz is still perfectly fine, and if the 30fps are 100% locked, they are also completely fine.

sQr

Jun 28, 2019
Locked 30 with proper frame pacing is fine. I can see the difference, but it's never bothered me. Uncapped framerate and bad frame pacing on the other hand is a nightmare.

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
60 is the minimum for me for action, there are some developers that still lock their action game PC ports to 60fps.

Namely every single Omega Force port (One Piece Pirate Warriors 4, Attack on Titan 2, Warriors Orochi 4 etc.) Makes no sense to me in current year or for games that would benefit tremendously from it with the amount of screen panning and enemies on-screen.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
60fps is great but I have no problem in playing games at 30fps at all.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
60>30 when you have a choice. When you don't then 30 is fine for a gamepad. Can't imagine myself playing in anything at 30 with m+k though.

Oct 28, 2017
You're on the crazy juice if 30 is fine. It feels unresponsive and can get really frustrating from that lack of response. Juddery, messy, etc.

60 fps and above is just delicious. You see all the touches in animations, your inputs feel true, its lovely. Firmly in the belief that people who think 30 fps is acceptable and great haven't spent any time playing 60 fps as a majority of their experience.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i can go back, cant go back to low 20s anymore tho

I've been playing Wave Race 64 quite a bit lately. The more I play it, the more I realize just how it might be one of my favorite racing games ever.

But it's a 20 FPS game. Somehow, I don't mind it, though. It feels fast and fluid as it is.

really? that gameplay looks pretty smooth for 20

maybe i'd need it infront of me

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
We're getting variable refresh rate support so it doesn't even have to be a locked 60 anymore.

Hmm, for those that have access to that, yea, you have a point but I would still stick where I'm at, I certainly don't have a TV that supports VRR. I obviously have no ideas what the figures are there for the average user but I wouldn't make that assumption when discussing generally. If you want to buy me a new TV though 😂
I think developers should be forward thinking and include unlocked framerates options in console games next gen. There is nothing special about 30fps, especially not on a VRR display.

If next gen is as long as this one then I'm sure a lot of us will have new displays by the time it's over.

Oct 25, 2017
I think developers should be forward thinking and include unlocked framerates options in console games next gen. There is nothing special about 30fps, especially not on a VRR display.

If next gen is as long as this one then I'm sure a lot of us will have new displays by the time it's over.

I think you've got it on the head, options, as and when they work for the experience the devs are trying to deliver. Unlocked framerates in addition to a locked consistent point is a great idea, I agree. Works for everyone regardless of display or assumptions.

Okada

Nov 8, 2017
I can usually adjust but it can sometimes be really jarring. I was recently playing Forza Horizon 4 on PC at 90+fps then switched to some DriveClub (which I love) at 30fps and I almost gave up; it felt horrible.

I find it's much easier to adjust if I haven't come directly from a high frame/refresh rate game.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
60 is way better, but I feel like yall who "cant handle 30fps" just need to take a break from 60fps gaming (or like, perservere in 30fps) for like, two days. For me, you get super used to 60 and then everything else looks slow and stilted, but after a day or two you break the habit and 30fps looks "normal" again pretty quick.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am honestly having a Hard time remembering the last time I beat game that hovered around 30 fps constantly or was just half refresh 30.
Crysis?
Even the old console Stuff I have been playing always seemed target 60 now that I think about it.
It has been a while.
I experimentd with coming to Grips with 30 in 2015 but decided in the end it just was too janky looking for me even with the best per object blurs.

Do you not own or game on consoles?