• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Final-Fantasy-VIII-8-Triple-Triad-Cards-95.jpg

I've been replaying FF8 the last couple of days and I'm loving it like always, but last night while destroying some kid in Triple Triad I thought about how great it would be to have my own set of Triple Triad cards of the main cast of the game. I looked online and Square Enix have done a few different types of TT cards over the years, most featuring characters from the whole series with some others using the same layout as the ones from 8 itself, though they were only released in Japan. It didn't seem like I was gonna be able to collect any (at least not for cheap). Then I had a great idea;

I'll make them!

So here we are, my (somewhat) ingenious choice to be creative and try to make my own set of Triple Triad cards. My goal is to make eight of them featuring the main party, Seifer and Laguna but I might make some for Edea, Kiros and Ward depending on how well this goes. I'm gonna post updates as I work on perfecting the card itself then as I eventually move on to making each card. Hopefully people can come into the thread and post impressions or tips as I make my way through the cast and hell, maybe I can convince some people to try this too!

I started working on Squall's card first and managed to find a spare pack of playing cards in my house as the base. Unfortunately, most of the assets for Triple Triad are pretty low quality so I had make the card itself through Photoshop, using the original cards as a base.

Screenshot_2021-02-25_at_10.50.41.png

The Squall art I first used was way too big and made it look super blurry when I sized it down to the measurements of the playing card I'm using as the base (about 5.7cm wide and 8.7cm long). However I was fortunate enough to find a small enough image online that looked good when I fit into the dimensions of the Photoshop canvas size. From there I had to try and make it look as close to the card as possible, so I pulled an image from FF8 Remastered and used that as my reference point.

Soon after that, however, I ended up running into the problem of having to use the border and numbers from the original cards. At first I just found a Photoshop font that felt close to the original, but after trying to find the border I stumbled upon the amazing Qhimm modding forums which had a great thread that featured a lot of high quality Triple Triad assets such as a fancier looking border and numbers. Big shout-out to that thread because I would have been honestly stumped otherwise.

I ran into a couple problems once I put everything together, though, mainly the fact that the width of the image was too big for the card, though the height was perfect. Once adjusting the width, it became impossible to have the full border fit onto the new canvas size, so I had to cut the border in half then place one of them so that it would fit with the other half. While this worked, the colours didn't exactly match up so I had to quickly use the brush tool to make it look neater (I think I did a good job on that myself lol). Once that was done, it was time to print!

The printing and glueing process went fine, though the glue I used was absolutely shite so I'm definitely going to have get some better glue because the one I used last night was just old and awful lol. Unfortunately due to either the glue or the paper I used (probably both), parts of the card turned out a bit blotchy and damp plus one of the corners peeled off a bit, so I'm going to use some stronger card paper next time. Once that was all done and I realised it was now nearly midnight and I'd spent almost two hours on this random idea I had, I was done! Presenting the final product;

20210224_231514.jpg
20210225_105458.jpg

Not bad for a first attempt if I do say so myself! Obviously there's a lot of issues here I'm going to have to iron out to make it look a lot neater, but I'm happy with it for being a first attempt at this. I'm gonna hold off on doing other cards for now until I can make the Squall card look better which will be my next update. For now my changes for next time are gonna be a different type of paper (preferably card), better glue and better trimming on the edges (I totally forgot the cards I was using were curved on the edges so I'll have to work around that next time too).

So yeah, that's phase 1 of my plan! Hopefully I can get round to working on the rest of the character cards and end up framing them. I'll be posting updates as I finish each phase so you'll see this thread bumped every now and then. Let me know what you guys think! If you have any tips I'd greatly appreciate them too, it's been a long time since I did this kind of DIY arts and crafts stuff so I could use some pointers lol. Thanks for reading and see you at the next update!

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Awesome work so far. You'll probably want to laminate or sleeve them which should help keep the cards together.

I know it's not the same as having your own accurate to FF8 TT cards, but I highly recommend you or anyone else who enjoys TT to look into the game sellswords. It's a card game from Level 99 that is very much Triple Triad balanced around two humans playing it.

2-the-game-at-a-distance.jpg

neufel

Oct 29, 2017
Switzerland
Great project, OP.
Are you planning on creating a playable set or is it just for memorabilia?

Also, I'm very sorry but by posting this thread on this forum you've agreed to change the rules of triple triad. Now the rules are Random, Plus. I am very sorry.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome work so far. You'll probably want to laminate or sleeve them which should help keep the cards together.

Thanks! And yeah I'll have to laminate them for sure. And that card game looks cool, I'll check it out.

Great project, OP.
Are you planning on creating a playable set or is it just for memorabilia?

Memorabilia. I'd love to make it as a playable set but I don't think I have it in me to make every TT card lol.

Also, I'm very sorry but by posting this thread on this forum you've agreed to change the rules of triple triad. Now the rules are Random, Plus. I am very sorry.

FIw6lIq.png

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
This seems like a cool project. I'm just confused as to why you were having trouble with the high quality image? Is your dpi high enough (300) on your PS document?

I just grabbed the image from Squall's page on the FF wiki, which is 980x1260 pixels, and I had to scale that up to fit a 87mm x 57mm 300dpi document.
I'd definitely double check your resolution though, just because the end result'll look a lot nicer. I've just attached a quick example of what it could look like at 300dpi at a playing card size. Ignore the sloppy magic wand usage to get rid of the white bg on the Squall pic though lmao.

Have you considered getting them printed externally on actual playing cards? I'm sure there're some websites out there that'll let you upload custom image files for both the front and back of playing cards.

sqallttcardq4jwh.png

OP
OP

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just confused as to why you were having trouble with the high quality image? Is your dpi high enough (300) on your PS document?

I honestly couldn't tell you lol. I'm not as well versed in Photoshop as I am Premiere Pro so there didn't seem like much I could when I was messing around with it last night. That does look really good though, I'll have to go back in and check my settings or something.

And good shout about getting custom cards made. I'm not really looking to spend tons of this (it's just a fun side thing I'm doing) but if the costs aren't crazy I'll definitely consider it.

EDIT: So I just put the first Squall pic back in and changed the DPI to 300 and holy shit what an improvement lol. Thanks so much for that, that's been a great help.

Last edited:

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly couldn't tell you lol. I'm not as well versed in Photoshop as I am Premiere Pro so there didn't seem like much I could when I was messing around with it last night. That does look really good though, I'll have to go back in and check my settings or something.

And good shout about getting custom cards made. I'm not really looking to spend tons of this (it's just a fun side thing I'm doing) but if the costs aren't crazy I'll definitely consider it.

EDIT: So I just put the first Squall pic back in and changed the DPI to 300 and holy shit what an improvement lol. Thanks so much for that, that's been a great help.
No problem lol. I was just kinda confused when you said a high res image was looking worse than a low res one XD.
I'm sure you could get them printed for around ÂŁ10 or so.

Oct 27, 2017
You're reminding me how FF8 and Parasite Eve have probably my favorite Nomura art style of any of the games he's done art for

Oct 26, 2017
Unless there's an issue with printing cards based on other's IP, there are several printers that accept editions of a single deck (although of course it costs more). I liked using MakePlayingCards and their quality is great, but at the time they didn't offer custom boxes so I switched to another.

And yes, every card you make should be at least 300 dpi as a working file. That first card looks horribly low resolution, sorry.

My working files for my own card game has every card being 1632x2223 for a standard sized card, and I feel that's on the low side but printers don't want files larger than that. When I draw the portraits for those cards, every picture is 4000x4000. Basically, when doing anything that is going to be printed, you can rarely start out too big. Scaling down is easy, scaling up always looks bad.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, IP issues are kind of the only problem you could possibly face when it comes to getting them printed. In that case, I'd recommend using a high quality paper to print it out on.
Don't forget to work in CMYK, too.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
Off topic, but there's also the mobile game "Creatures of Aether" for similar gameplay, pretty fun little digital card game with short matches.

On topic if you are making your own cards, using a site like artscow is a good way to go, you can set up a "custom playing cards" deck, but then upload whatever you want (they share a card back, but you basically get up to 54 unique cards). The quality of the final result is pretty good.

EDIT: I didn't really think about the IP angle. I suppose if they're for personal use it shouldn't be a big deal, but if you go to try and print it at a shop they might not do it.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any kind of AI upscaling you could use to help with the art resolution? The kind of stuff people have been using on those old RPG backgrounds?

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome! good work on a game I love! Maybe you could save time using AI to upscale the original art?

I'd recommend getting some clear card sleeves to slide your paper into over your playing cards. You can then glue later, but even just sleeves look great

Reminds me a lot of the physical project for Cardfighters Clash:

Card Fighters Project

This is a fan project to convert the SNK vs Capcom: Card Fighters games to be playable through means of physical cards.

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You can use a website like ArtsCow to have the cards printed. I used them to print my Deadly Premonition playing cards. They don't seem to really care about the IP stuff, as it's generally just for personal use. I did these back in 2010, so there's probably other online printing services that may be easier to use and have quicker turnaround.

Zim

Senior Animator at Airship Syndicate
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Austin, TX

I know it's not the same as having your own accurate to FF8 TT cards, but I highly recommend you or anyone else who enjoys TT to look into the game sellswords. It's a card game from Level 99 that is very much Triple Triad balanced around two humans playing it.

2-the-game-at-a-distance.jpg
aaaaaaannnnddd purchhased. thanks for the recommmendation!