• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Last year I quit my $80,000/yr industry job to go back to school and get my PhD. I want to go back into industry or into academia after my PhD. My husband and I sold most of our stuff, moved to Washington with our pets, he got a new job, and I am doing my studies. I am funded, like most STEM PhD students. I.e. my tuition is paid for and I get wages for my research. I moved to the university to study computational, synthetic, and systems biology. I.e. genetic engineering, protein engineering, immunoengineering, bioinformatics, things that mesh those two, etc.

Well since it's a PhD program, I have to convince a professor to take me long-term during the stay of my program. They will then pay for my tuition plus wages. My program requires and funds you to try out a lab before "locking into it" long term, and this is called "rotating." The department will fund you for two quarters of rotations, and then expect you to lock into a lab that you tried long term.

I thought I had everything arranged. I had my PhD offer, and my first rotation was in an incredibly famous lab that everyone else loves and says it's easy to be chosen to lock-in if you wish. So I do my rotation there, and found it very challenging. The lab was huge (80+ students, 40+ post docs) and I had never done any of the computational or experimental techniques I was learning. In the end, I delivered the results of my project, and presented on it. My PI, instead of offering to let me lock in, asked me to do another rotation to get a different perspective and new skills. So I depart his lab and choose another one in a similar field, understanding that I could come back, but he just wants me to learn a new lab for my own enrichment.

This second lab I begin in my second quarter. Long story short, things turned disastrous. My PI wouldn't talk to me or meet with me the entire time. The project she promised me never happened. And the chair of the department told me she doesn't have funding to take me long term anyway. So it was a waste of time, and after my dad died in December, I took a few days to grieve. The PI and her lab threw that in my face, gaslit me, blamed me for not finishing training fast enough (which was NOT my fault), and the entire debacle ended up in me getting deleted from the lab list and the senior lab member yelling at me and humiliating me in front of other students about how I have no idea how research works and that I'm a shitty grad student. So needless to say, I had to get my academic advisors involved, and then I had to leave the lab and look for a third lab.

By the time I was looking for a third lab, all the professors in my field of interest had already filled up with "lock-ins" from other students, and had already promised next year's positions to next year's cohort. In summary, I have reached out to dozens of professors, and none of them have funding or space for me anymore, all because my second rotation got fucked and I couldn't resolve it fast enough to slide into a new lab in time.

So I'm in limbo. My academic advisers assure me they will find me a lab, but they seem open to just throwing me into any PhD lab they can find. But I didn't quit my job and move across the country to study something I have no interest in (like tissue engineering or brain machine interfaces on primates). Regardless, we haven't been able to find any lab at all for me. They assure me I will be funded until I find a new lab as long as I can progress through the curriculum, but even this is complicated because I dropped the only grad class I was in this quarter because my second rotation professor teaches and grades it (and I don't trust her after the fall out). The only professor that could take me is waiting on a grant to be approved in March, which then means I could join in the Autumn, and until then I'm in limbo.

If I can't find a lab, I will have moved to Washington to do a PhD program where I can't do what I applied here to do because everybody is full. The limbo is incredibly stressful, and it's affecting my anxiety and depression. I'm in no control of the logistics that are preventing me from researching with the professors I want to.

I just needed to type this out and vent and ask for some advice.

If I end up having to drop my PhD program and go back into industry, I'll be devastated. I'll be okay, but I guess I am just wondering if anyone here has ideas on what I should do?
The PhD program has turned out to be much harder and worse than anything I expected, and for all the wrong reasons.
Has anyone else had trouble like this in their education? How did you overcome it? My first year of PhD school has felt like a waste of time.
I feel embarrassed if I have to quit and go back into industry. I feel like I will have let everybody down.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I was in very different circumstances than you overall, but I did in fact end up dropping out of my own PhD program after a year.

It turns out I'd rather be temporarily embarrassed than broke and anxious all the time.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Man, sorry to hear that. Sounds like your PIs really threw you under the bus.
But at least you can be assured to get back to a safe industry job, take that as a positive.

I'm glad my PI is kind of cool and my PhD went rather smooth without much pressure.
But it can get pretty tough, especially in rather famous groups.

Oct 25, 2017
This story matches everything I know about upper level academia in highly regarded institutions. Egotistical, elitist, rude, unreliable assholes who judge you very harshly if you don't prove yourself an instant genius and fit in. Not to mention a heaping share of humanity's other worst social ills. I'd just stay away.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly, these situations are almost too common as you go up the ladder in academia. Some groups get very clique-y. There's lots of bullying and a single person has enough power to essentially make your life living hell and/or negate years of hard work. So don't ever think this is any of your fault or waste time agonising over how you might have done things differently.

My sister dealt with bullying like this for 3 years and her health/symptoms got so bad the doctors were suspecting MS. Thankfully she was able to change PIs and actually move across the country with him to another Uni and escape the situation altogether.

Usually with people like this, the others at uni know what's going on. Just a waiting game to see if any one is willing/able to let you continue your work with them. Speak to the the dean of student affairs as a last note. Also start talking to people/groups in other universities in your city or in other parts of the country.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
You got ghosted by your PI =/

Without any real experience in your issue, I'd go with the sentiment that it's ok to just go back to the industry. No one let anyone down except the academic institutions let you down.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your situation is extremely complicated and I don't have meaningfully specific advice for you - but I don't know anyone who had an easy time of it.

My sister in law did something similar - she was in biochemistry and drug metabolism but her plan was to get a PhD, get a JD and use that combo to catch up economically and professionally on where she'd be if she'd stayed in industry with a just a ba, a graduate degree and experience.

To be honest when she started this "plan" it sounded insane- she had a terrible time in the first year of her PhD but she had actually built that likelihood into her plan and padded two years to account for it. Now she's in her mid fifties but a patent attorney/partner at a big firm and likely light years ahead of where she'd have been if she simply stayed in the industry.

Her PhD has gigantic practical application in those twin fields because she's a subject matter expert and a rigorous academic and armed with a secondary skill to exploit it.

She's also dedicated to advancing ethical standards to medical patents and fights trolls sometimes on behalf of accelerating genetics or destroying junk patents.

Her PhD time had a lot of horrible wilderness like yours but her initial approach was to assume that as a built in danger.

I also know a philosophy PhD who like most of them did it to grow himself with no expectation of direct applicability after academics - but he's a creative professional and it didn't hurt. His employer pays phds more regardless of applicability.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
That sounds awful.
The lack of reliable funding was what made me quit my phd program and go into industry after two and a half years. I can sympathise.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
You got ghosted by your PI =/

Without any real experience in your issue, I'd go with the sentiment that it's ok to just go back to the industry. No one let anyone down except the academic institutions let you down.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts, and this especially. My therapist has helped me remember that, that this isn't my fault, it's okay to realize that control is an illusion and really we can have the best of intentions, but shit sometimes just doesn't work out. I'm trying to let that comfort me but I just feel so embarrassed at how much hope and expectation I put into this and now I have no lab or PI even when I did everything the way I was supposed to.

I could go back into industry here and it's tempting, since my income would literally triple over night.

R.P. McMurphy

May 8, 2019
My field is structured a bit differently when it comes to PhD programs (we are accepted under a primary advisor), so I don't have any specific feedback other than to not be hard on yourself. There is a lot of BS in academia and much of it is out of our control. I'm sorry you're having to go through this. At the end of the day, it sounds like you are doing everything you're supposed to.

Speaking to your question of personal experiences, my first year has been rough in some ways but wonderful in others. My advisor is an absolute genius and at times I am intimidated by her (she has 3 PhDs, is truly an astounding scholar), but I've also learned that every one in my program has at least a little bit of imposter syndrome. The best way I've found to manage it is talking openly about it with others in my lab and cohort because it helps normalize the experience. I also started seeking mental health treatment which has been really helpful!

There is also no shame in dropping out if you need to, but I would also encourage you to not make any big decisions based on your first year being hard. I would definitely recommend speaking to someone you trust about your feelings, and also try and find if there is anyone else in the upper years of your program who had a similar experience and made it through.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Sorry to hear that : /
I hope you're able to figure things out.

I was going to consider doing a PhD program after I graduated veterinary school, but I just didn't have the mental fortitude or stamina at the time because vet school absolutely drained me (plus, I have so much debt). It's a shame to hear that some of the programs can do what happened to you.

Gazele

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I'm really sorry. I had some similar issues but it ended up working out.

Does the program offer a terminal masters? Obviously it wouldn't be ideal but you would at least have something to show for this time

I think my only advice would be to not just join any lab, but only do a PhD if you're really passionate and think it'll help you in the future. Seems you are aware of that though

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that sounds about right. You might be able to get a foothold in some lab and make your own space but dont count on it. PhD isn't really a well supported or straight line, you gotta show your teeth and realize that for you to have a spot in a lab you have to effectively take it away from someone else's hands.

I learned this very fast on my PhD and then saw it from the opposite side when I was the most senior student in the lab and had to make decisions about recommending which students to cut.

To be frank, I looked at rate of growth of training and actionable results.If im looking at your file, I don't care about anything thats going on in your life or any issues you might have, I will judge how fast you are able to learn and how many publishable results you have. If you aren't meeting what the labs standards are, I always recommended cutting funding. Its shitty, but thats the environment.

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last year I quit my $80,000/yr industry job to go back to school and get my PhD. I want to go back into industry or into academia after my PhD. My husband and I sold most of our stuff, moved to Washington with our pets, he got a new job, and I am doing my studies. I am funded, like most STEM PhD students. I.e. my tuition is paid for and I get wages for my research. I moved to the university to study computational, synthetic, and systems biology. I.e. genetic engineering, protein engineering, immunoengineering, bioinformatics, things that mesh those two, etc.

Well since it's a PhD program, I have to convince a professor to take me long-term during the stay of my program. They will then pay for my tuition plus wages. My program requires and funds you to try out a lab before "locking into it" long term, and this is called "rotating." The department will fund you for two quarters of rotations, and then expect you to lock into a lab that you tried long term.

I thought I had everything arranged. I had my PhD offer, and my first rotation was in an incredibly famous lab that everyone else loves and says it's easy to be chosen to lock-in if you wish. So I do my rotation there, and found it very challenging. The lab was huge (80+ students, 40+ post docs) and I had never done any of the computational or experimental techniques I was learning. In the end, I delivered the results of my project, and presented on it. My PI, instead of offering to let me lock in, asked me to do another rotation to get a different perspective and new skills. So I depart his lab and choose another one in a similar field, understanding that I could come back, but he just wants me to learn a new lab for my own enrichment.

This second lab I begin in my second quarter. Long story short, things turned disastrous. My PI wouldn't talk to me or meet with me the entire time. The project she promised me never happened. And the chair of the department told me she doesn't have funding to take me long term anyway. So it was a waste of time, and after my dad died in December, I took a few days to grieve. The PI and her lab threw that in my face, gaslit me, blamed me for not finishing training fast enough (which was NOT my fault), and the entire debacle ended up in me getting deleted from the lab list and the senior lab member yelling at me and humiliating me in front of other students about how I have no idea how research works and that I'm a shitty grad student. So needless to say, I had to get my academic advisors involved, and then I had to leave the lab and look for a third lab.

By the time I was looking for a third lab, all the professors in my field of interest had already filled up with "lock-ins" from other students, and had already promised next year's positions to next year's cohort. In summary, I have reached out to dozens of professors, and none of them have funding or space for me anymore, all because my second rotation got fucked and I couldn't resolve it fast enough to slide into a new lab in time.

So I'm in limbo. My academic advisers assure me they will find me a lab, but they seem open to just throwing me into any PhD lab they can find. But I didn't quit my job and move across the country to study something I have no interest in (like tissue engineering or brain machine interfaces on primates). Regardless, we haven't been able to find any lab at all for me. They assure me I will be funded until I find a new lab as long as I can progress through the curriculum, but even this is complicated because I dropped the only grad class I was in this quarter because my second rotation professor teaches and grades it (and I don't trust her after the fall out). The only professor that could take me is waiting on a grant to be approved in March, which then means I could join in the Autumn, and until then I'm in limbo.

If I can't find a lab, I will have moved to Washington to do a PhD program where I can't do what I applied here to do because everybody is full. The limbo is incredibly stressful, and it's affecting my anxiety and depression. I'm in no control of the logistics that are preventing me from researching with the professors I want to.

I just needed to type this out and vent and ask for some advice.

If I end up having to drop my PhD program and go back into industry, I'll be devastated. I'll be okay, but I guess I am just wondering if anyone here has ideas on what I should do?
The PhD program has turned out to be much harder and worse than anything I expected, and for all the wrong reasons.
Has anyone else had trouble like this in their education? How did you overcome it? My first year of PhD school has felt like a waste of time.
I feel embarrassed if I have to quit and go back into industry. I feel like I will have let everybody down.
If it's possible to go back to an industry job, it's likely a better long-term outcome, anyways. I wish I had gone immediately into industry. Grad school destroyed me. I left completely burnt out, broke (even though I was funded with a stipend etc still had undergrad loans and no savings), unable to find a job and on the verge of suicide (no exaggeration there). Granted I was in neuroscience, which doesn't have as many potential jobs as STEM. If you were already making 80k a year, what was the reason for going to grad school? Is a PhD needed for advancing in your career or were you interested in shifting to academia? I would advise against academia... the things you're encountering with funding and politics are representative of the tip of a really shitty iceberg.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
If it's possible to go back to an industry job, it's likely a better long-term outcome, anyways. I wish I had gone immediately into industry. Grad school destroyed me. I left completely burnt out, broke (even though I was funded with a stipend etc still had undergrad loans and no savings), unable to find a job and on the verge of suicide (no exaggeration there). Granted I was in neuroscience, which doesn't have as many potential jobs as STEM. If you were already making 80k a year, what was the reason for going to grad school? Is a PhD needed for advancing in your career or were you interested in shifting to academia? I would advise against academia... the things you're encountering with funding and politics are representative of the tip of a really shitty iceberg.

My experience is in R&D which has a glass ceiling without a PhD, and nobody else in industry/other companies wanted to hire me for other departments because my R&D experience was too niche. Plus I actually like research and I wanted to shift my career away from my bachelors company.

Oct 27, 2017
First of all, everyone in that second lab sounds like an asshole. Nobody deserves to be humiliated like that in front of others. Did you report that? The PI's negligence also sounds shitty. Honestly it looks like you dodged a bullet of toxicity there

Now if you want to stay in the phd, would it be possible to take a leave of absence for a semester or so until things get sorted out and there's a spot for you in a lab of your interest? That means you'd still have to find something else to do until then, which is a bummer, but it's better than outright quitting the program. Maybe you could stick around there as an RA, if that is possible

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My experience is in R&D which has a glass ceiling without a PhD, and nobody else in industry/other companies wanted to hire me for other departments because my R&D experience was too niche. Plus I actually like research and I wanted to shift my career away from my bachelors company.
Ah gotcha. If that's the case, since you've already worked in industry, you probably already have a solid foundation in what you need or know what you need to move up. If I were in your position, I'd find a skill set(s) you want to have under your belt and get in a lab where you can do that with the fastest turn around possible, 4 years ideally (took me 7, sigh). Then, I'd strong arm the department to meet the financial needs. Are you at UW? Most schools have emergency funds for circumstances like this, just don't take no for an answer. It's up to them to take care of students.

Sidebar, I used to love research, too.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up leaving my PhD progrsm after 7 years with just a Master's degree. After several mental breakdowns I couldn't do it anymore.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Ah gotcha. If that's the case, since you've already worked in industry, you probably already have a solid foundation in what you need or know what you need to move up. If I were in your position, I'd find a skill set(s) you want to have under your belt and get in a lab where you can do that with the fastest turn around possible, 4 years ideally (took me 7, sigh). Then, I'd strong arm the department to meet the financial needs. Are you at UW? Most schools have emergency funds for circumstances like this, just don't take no for an answer. It's up to them to take care of students.

Sidebar, I used to love research, too.

Yes I am, and that's good to know. I will pressure them to find me funding until I find a good lab, and I'll assert that I won't settle for anything. If I can make it to August, there will be new spots open for me in the labs I want.

Mar 30, 2019
I'm sorry to hear that. I wish I had relatable advice. Embarrassment is temporary, so don't dwell on the setbacks if you can. Best regards.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to hear that....I would start looking for a job in your field while waiting for the school situation to resolve.

Last edited:

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You didn't do anything wrong going by what you wrote. The dice rolled against you. It happens. Feeling bad about a string of bad luck is pointless. I'd say go back to the industry job, stabilize, then try again in the future.

Disclaimer, just a Bachelor's Grad here. Never mucked with anything higher.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
My field is elec engineering and what I ended up working on after my PhD has very little connection to what I actually did research on, my cousin has a PhD in chemical engineering, he is a product marketing agent for a chemical company, so maybe it could help you if you don't stress too much on what you are actually working on during your PhD, as long as it is in the same universe as your goals, completing your degree should be enough to open the R&D doors for you as your skills and experience are transferable and you should know from your industry experience that things are not so rigid in real world as they are in academia. Higher education is a messy and lonely road and I just had to suck it up and I never want to go back to again though I would never quit. You have already committed this much, finish your degree. It is like 3 more years? It goes by so quickly and you will get a valuable degree out of it .

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the second PI went nuclear on your rep with her colleagues making none of them willing to take you on.

The PhD community is pretty small and tight knit. She probably made you sound like an incompetent nightmare, pretty much blacklisting you.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up doing four rotations because my first three just were... not great. And I ended up in a lab in a completely different field than I originally wanted.

But it worked out and the PI I ended up with was way more supportive of my research goals than any of my rotation PIs (who were 'in field'). PhDs are amazingly flexible. Focus on finding a good PI who will let you work on what you like and it doesn't matter what the lab does. You can always collaborate and borrow equipment from the other labs.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I don't envy you OP. I took the easy (coward's) way out and never went for my PhD, opting instead to work in Pharma for a year plus before going to law school. I spent two plus years doing undergraduate research and that taught me enough that lab life was never going to be for me. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited:

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My field is elec engineering and what I ended up working on after my PhD has very little connection to what I actually did research on, my cousin has a PhD in chemical engineering, he is a product marketing agent for a chemical company, so maybe it could help you if you don't stress too much on what you are actually working on during your PhD, as long as it is in the same universe as your goals, completing your degree should be enough to open the R&D doors for you as your skills and experience are transferable and you should know from your industry experience that things are not so rigid in real world as they are in academia. Higher education is a messy and lonely road and I just had to suck it up and I never want to go back to again though I would never quit. You have already committed this much, finish your degree. It is like 3 more years? It goes by so quickly and you will get a valuable degree out of it .

If she's based in NA, then you can't say with any level of certainty that she'll graduate in XYZ years. Usually it takes around 5 (and that's for a candidate that ALREADY has their MSc), but that's assuming that the student was relatively on track with their research projects.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Usually it takes around 5 (and that's for a candidate that ALREADY has their MSc), but that's assuming that the student was relatively on track with their research projects.
In the US—or among the people I know, at least—5 and a half years is the average. 4 years is an absolute pipe dream, especially with a wet lab component.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In the US—or among the people I know, at least—5 and a half years is the average. 4 years is an absolute pipe dream, especially with a wet lab component.

In Europe, their MSc is like 1 year and their PhD like 3 years. And if they move to NA, it counts just as well as a NA MSc/PhD. Mad jelly.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
OP, as someone who saw this happen at a smaller scale in my own PhD program, with a few horror stories here and there, and who saw this happen at a huge scale in my wife's PhD program, where things actually got litigious, I highly, highly, highly recommend that you leave the program and either return to industry or move to a different school. I've seen this cycle go down several times and it is a colossal waste of time, money, energy, and career potential for the student/candidate and zero consequences for the labs or PIs involved, every single time.

I can go into more detail with you if you'd like, but as frustrating as it is, you really, really shouldn't stay.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
OP, as someone who saw this happen at a smaller scale in my own PhD program, with a few horror stories here and there, and who saw this happen at a huge scale in my wife's PhD program, where things actually got litigious, I highly, highly, highly recommend that you leave the program and either return to industry or move to a different school. I've seen this cycle go down several times and it is a colossal waste of time, money, energy, and career potential for the student/candidate and zero consequences for the labs or PIs involved, every single time.

I can go into more detail with you if you'd like, but as frustrating as it is, you really, really shouldn't stay.

Could you please share details with me, if needed via PM so I can understand better what I should do in my situation?

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Man, after reading all your threads about how amazing Washington has been for you, it sucks that you're going through this shit. Are you planning on staying?

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
To me, it sounds like you joined a very prestigious school without the academia background.

Yes, you had industry experience and knew how to actually do stuff and that puts you ahead of almost everyone. But just like different companies have different cultures and toolsets so do different research groups. And the basics bag of tricks can vary drastically for a range of reasons.

Without knowing the specifics of your situation, I would say that that uni is burned for you without massive luck. But that is fine. If a PhD is still what you want you now have the grad school skillset and should have a much easier time at a different School

Yes, prestigious names help. But those generally just open doors and it is on you to step through. And medium to low prestige schools tend to be full of hungry advisers who are committed to making their students successful because that is what they are measured on.

Assuming you want to continue, start applying for other schools. But also keep talking to the department and making contacts. Grad school is more about learning how to learn and making connections for later. And a professor who likes you but can't pay you is a collaborator down the line. Or even a good word now.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let me add to the people recommending changing schools. You have to remember you will be judged by a panel for your candidacy and qualifiers. If you already have a black eye in your faculties view, they will always hold that against you. Also professors rely on their labs hierarchy to judge new students. If you were dropped like that, other students and postdoc probably pushed for it or just don't care about you, that's also hard to change.

in the 6 years I was in my lav for master's and PhF, I saw two people graduated and almost 20 people fired or driven mad into abandoning the whole thing. You know, people that broke crying in the cafeteria or that took one way flights back home in the middle of a semestee without telling anybody.

Academia isn't for everyone and you will be alone. The administration is there to protect the school first and the PI second. After another lab with serious bullying problems had a student kill himself, the school just barred the PI from taking fresh students for a year. That's it. That's all they did.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ. As someone who seriously considered getting into academia after I got my Master's, stories like these make me feel all the more reassured in my decision. Fuck those miserable people.

OP, consider working at a UARC, National Lab, etc. It's the perfect intersection of academia and industry. You'll get paid comparably to industry (my starting salary was $89,000 and I only had a BS), you get to do a ton of research and academia-type work, and they'll pay for you to get an advanced degree if you ever want one later on. Highly recommend.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Could you please share details with me, if needed via PM so I can understand better what I should do in my situation?

Basically, if profs freeze you out, many deans won't do anything about it, and you're in a situation where technically you're enrolled and a student but no one will take you in their lab. So basically you'll be stuck as an in-betweener and after wasting time (sometimes you can get a role as TA for a bit or as an assistant in someone's lab, but there's no track to getting a position), you'll have to leave. No one will "ask" you to leave, but as staying would mean a massive waste of your time and prime years, everyone on staff will be shocked you're still there, even though they can't tell you that you need to go. It's pretty two-faced and kind of depressingly common.

In one case, a friend went all the way to her A exam -- basically, a halfway point where, afterwards, you pass from being a student to a candidate - and the PI failed her. Her other committee members passed her, but since her own PI failed her, that was that. When she looked into it, she was told, "Oh, you know professor so and so, he never passes women!" She wasn't the first, and more and more women came forward. Lawyers got involved but nothing came of it. Tenure is wild. She wound up moving across the country to another school and restarted at a new program. The other women in the story left with a Masters and in some cases with nothing. Blacklists are absolutely a thing. Even when everyone knows a student is being treated unfairly, many will be afraid to speak up because of a certain prof's power and ability to be an obstacle for their career.

Multiple stories of people leaving with a Masters after 7 to 9 years of work due to incompetent PIs and poor guidance. One guy I knew through a friend had your almost exact situation, drifted around for a bit, couldn't get in at any lab in the department, ultimately fell through with no funding and no lab willing to take him (in one case, he left a potential lab because he was a tall black guy and a white woman in the lab said she was "intimidated" by him when he asked her to return some of his equipment that she had taken without asking, so the PI froze the dude out...wut). We lost touch but I know he was working in a call center for the past few years.

Change schools and start with a fresh program ASAP or go back to the well-paying world of industry. That's my very strong advice. Don't become another story.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Okay everyone. Thanks for your advice. Good news. I had an interview with an amazingly competent and thoughtful PI who works at a non profit institute and is affiliated with my department, and he's working on exactly what I wanted to study for my PhD. The interview went well, he was really excited to mentor me, and he immediately invited me to join his lab. So now I'm a part of a whole new group and the stress and nightmare of this is finally over. Life has been so hard for me recently and I was in tears when I walked out the building today because I just needed one thing in my life to start working out, and this happened. I know this is just the first hurdle on my journey to a PhD, but I'm excited for the future now

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Okay everyone. Thanks for your advice. Good news. I had an interview with an amazingly competent and thoughtful PI who works at a non profit institute and is affiliated with my department, and he's working on exactly what I wanted to study for my PhD. The interview went well, he was really excited to mentor me, and he immediately invited me to join his lab. So now I'm a part of a whole new group and the stress and nightmare of this is finally over. Life has been so hard for me recently and I was in tears when I walked out the building today because I just needed one thing in my life to start working out, and this happened. I know this is just the first hurdle on my journey to a PhD, but I'm excited for the future now
Congrats, friend. Good things do happen!

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Congrats!
That's an awesome update.
I myself had to give up my PhD, funding wasn't there, so I understand part of your woes.
Your first PI was a fuckface, and I hope everything's better after today :D

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad things are working out! I hope the new PI lives up to their first impression!

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON

Good! That's awesome!

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

Congrats!

dr.anderson

Jun 4, 2019
Hi, I finished my Ph.D. in 2009 and may have some advice based on my experience. One advice I would have is your Ph.D. research and lab is not your specialization. You are only in the program to learn how to perform research. You are there to learn the template on how research is done. The lab, in my opinion, is secondary. If you get a supportive lab, you should give it a try and power through the program. Once you clear your qualifiers (or whatever equivalent exams your school would have), you can keep on talking to the labs you like and propose collaborations with the labs and professors you want to work with. You can always change your research focus after your qualifier exams. You will see that a lot of people do this.

From my experience, helping you is just one of the things your PI is doing. Even if they ghost you, you have to proactively keep on contacting them and compete for their attention and time. I learned pretty early that doing a Ph.D. is as much as an intellectual pursuit as a man-management problem. You would need to manage your PI, your advisors, your colleagues and finally a lot of grad students before you finish your program. Everyone has their own priorities and you have to make sure that they also help you with yours.

From my experience, the program is brutal and there is a reason why only a handful of people actually complete it. But once you are done, there are a lot of opportunities you can pursue.

Yataran

Jul 17, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
Fuck. I'd say that THAT is not how research works - or should work. I did my PhD (Granted, in the UK where the general culture seems to be different) and the experience was tough but never as shitty like that. That group sounds like hell, one of those places where they burn through people just to achieve whatever goals the PI set for themselves.

Glad to hear that. You didn't deserve the shit they were throwing at you. I'm happy for you and hope things will work out better... You may have dodged a bullet by dropping from the previous group.

Is it possible to ask what university will you be working on? I'm not in academia anymore - I burned out after 3 years as a postdoc and, as I said, my situation was never as bad as what you described - but I am still interested in university and may decide to come back at some point if the opportunities seem interesting.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck. I'd say that THAT is not how research works - or should work. I did my PhD (Granted, in the UK where the general culture seems to be different) and the experience was tough but never as shitty like that. That group sounds like hell, one of those places where they burn through people just to achieve whatever goals the PI set for themselves.

Thank you. I just had extraordinarily bad luck and was starting to get discouraged at how left behind I felt compared to my peers.

Glad to hear that. You didn't deserve the shit they were throwing at you. I'm happy for you and hope things will work out better... You may have dodged a bullet by dropping from the previous group.

Is it possible to ask what university will you be working on? I'm not in academia anymore - I burned out after 3 years as a postdoc and, as I said, my situation was never as bad as what you described - but I am still interested in university and may decide to come back at some point if the opportunities seem interesting.

yeah I'll PM you but yeah I definitely dodged a bullet. The last thing someone from my previous lab told me was "I highly doubt you'll find what you're looking for at this university." He was so spiteful and condescending in his tone, it stuck with me. Now I found this opportunity and his harsh words just ring hollow.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Can relate.

My advisor took me on but then dipped out of the country for a year or so without warning. And then I got leave to do my fifth and final year remotely. My advisor said that was cool in writing and verbally. Once I moved, he flipped out and claimed he had no idea I was doing that. And also, he didn't care about my funding wrapping up (you get 5 years of funding, but you actually have 5 years after passing your comps to graduate in my department. I passed them 3 years in, so to him, I had 8 years total, 4 years left. Funding be damned. "Funding is for you to figure out.")

I ratted him out to our chair (who rules), and the advisor sent me a huge apology email saying he'd try to make it work. He never talked to me again after that though. No wonder he's never graduated a student.

Ultimately I just called it and went into industry as a data analyst (my degrees are all in math). I love it. Honestly I thought academia was keeping me from soul-crushing industry, but I worked way worse hours and had much less security/stability in academia than I do now. My job rules, and the pay is better. I miss teaching, but oh well.