• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Swift_Gamer

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
They aren't smooth at all. Can't wait for the nextgen to arrive and BC with higher framerates so these ideas go away. Try play a game at higher framerates and return to those "smooth" 30fps games, they still stutter every time you rotate the camera or when any faster motion happens and there is zero motion clarity.
I did lots of time and never had a problem with it. 30fps is still smooth when properly done.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
It is to me. I have never felt 30fps feel smooth.

Some 30fps implementations being better than others doesn't change that.
Yeah 30fps is smooth in the same sense that 24fps or 15fps would be smooth with perfect stability and flawless frame timing sprinkled with the best motion blur implementation ever.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Good, this thread is not for you or about you. It's to commend developers that can achieve good results with 30fps, feel free to talk about this or GTFO.
Actually mate, the thread is on the forum for everyone to comment on... and... shocking I know... but this is all an opinion.

I disagree with you, 30fp is not smooth. Ever. Maybe try to deal with that without all the weird hostility.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
Locked 30 fps always felt smooth. Same with locked 60fps. When the fps fluctuates often and the screen shows graphical issues, that's when it doesn't "feel" smooth anymore. That's why variable refresh rate has been a game changer on the PC and will be on upcoming consoles.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Devs have mastered motion blur and smooth gameplay at 30fps, which works remarkably well for cinematic games.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Horizon and Spider-Man are the few times I was shocked to find out that they weren't running at higher framerates.
Second Son is another one as well before the Pro Patch.

Oct 25, 2017
Good, this thread is not for you or about you. It's to commend developers that can achieve good results with 30fps, feel free to talk about this or GTFO.
We can appreciate their work and recognize how they did it, but we don't have to agree with the results being smooth.

Using one of the developers you listed, Insomniac also released Stormland. A VR game where if it was actually running at 30fps with motion blur it would make its players extremely sick.
It's smooth, you just have to get over and deal with it.
You yourself in the OP call them tricks. Its smooth when a large amount of post processing is applied to cover up the lack of information.

Last edited:

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm usually very strict about 60fps in fighting games and racing games and shit. But CTR in 30fps feels great to me. It feels like 60. I know some people hate it still and I'm sure true 60fps would be magical, but it's impressive to me.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, if you play Horizon and then immediately jump into Bloodborne, you will notice a huge difference in smoothness...so they're not wrong really. Devs actually can make a 30 fps game feel smooth compared to other 30fps games.

I don't think they were trying to compare to 60fps though so idk why that became a thing lol, they literally said:

"Like I said, I'm used to 60fps and I do see the difference. Thing is, some devs are so good at what they do they can make 30fps look pleasantly smooth."

They acknowledged the difference between 30 and 60 fps right there. Saying 30fps can feel smooth doesn't mean they're saying it feels anything like 60fps...

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
You must not notice it then! As it is a phenomenon that happens with the displays we use when they show half refresh rate content. Blur busters is a wonderful site to read about these kind of things if you are interested.
Considering that g-syng locks thee refresh rate to the gpu updates between 40-59 frames To create a smoother experience, would reducing a monitor/tv refresh cap to 30 simply remove the ghosting and make a smoother experience? I never even considered this until you mentioned drew above.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with this.

I was a PC-only gamer until the middle of last year when I bought a PS4 only to play the exclusives, and in anticipation for Death Stranding. I expected all the 30fps games to feel jarring after being used to playing just about everything at 60fps. And you know what? I didn't even notice it in most games. I think it was most noticeable when playing Bloodborne but it's known for its frame pacing issues. Everything else I've played - the Uncharted games, Spider-Man, RDR2, God of War, Horizon, Death Stranding, has been perfectly smooth for me.

Now I'm sure when I play Horizon and Death Stranding on PC later this year will definitely feel smother when played at 60fps but they are most definitely perfectly playable and smooth at 30.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if you play Horizon and then immediately jump into Bloodborne, you will notice a huge difference in smoothness...so they're not wrong really. Devs actually can make a 30 fps game feel smooth compared to other 30fps games.

I don't think they were trying to compare to 60fps though so idk why that became a thing lol, they literally said:

"Like I said, I'm used to 60fps and I do see the difference. Thing is, some devs are so good at what they do they can make 30fps look pleasantly smooth."

They acknowledged the difference between 30 and 60 fps right there. Saying 30fps can feel smooth doesn't mean they're saying it feels anything like 60fps...
Some people are getting muddled that's for sure, but imo 60fps is the baseline for smooth so there is a point to be made in that muddle.

The loss of clarity in motion when you drop lower than 60 is why lower than 60 can never be truly smooth. Even if the game moves at an even pace at 30fps, there is a large a loss of detail in motion.

Playing the FF7R demo after a Destiny 2 PC session at 120+ fps and I really felt it. In Destiny on my PC, while I'm jumping around in the middle of a large amount of enemies, I can make out individual particle effects as they scatter, I can see details on the enemies faces as I rush by them. In the FFVR demo, all that detail is lost and becomes a blur in motion.

I cannot see how anyone could call that smooth, honestly. Just my opinion, it feels jittery in motion die to the lower frames causing loss of detail.

There are definitely games that do this better than others, though, that's absolutely true. And it can be quite impressive to see a good implementation of 30fps because it is often not done as well as it could be.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Considering that g-syng locks thee refresh rate to the gpu updates between 40-59 frames To create a smoother experience, would reducing a monitor/tv refresh cap to 30 simply remove the ghosting and make a smoother experience? I never even considered this until you mentioned drew above.
If it would be CRT and refresh would be 30fps, there wouldn't be ghosting or blur from eyes following the object on screen. (As image flashes for short duration of time each frame.)
Problem would be the horrid 30hz flashing of light from monitor.

For sample and hold monitors like OLEDs the 60hz is still quite blurry for fast moving objects.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

The OP was basically trying to say "some 30fps games feel smoother than others" but the title implies that there are super smooth 30fps games which people are disagreeing with too. The fact that RDR 2 is one of the examples in the OP too is strange because that game is the definition of laggy 30fps with poor motion clarity.

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You should check out Pargon's reply to that on page 2, the example picture is not valid for LCDs in most use cases since they are not impulsed displays like CRTs.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imo, they should invest into making 60 fps games rather than smoothing out 30 fps games.

Nov 8, 2017
I find the premise of this thread to be entirely false. Zero of the 30fps games cited within this entire thread feel anywhere close to the smoothness of any 60fps game.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Even with perfect frame-pacing, 30 FPS never really feels smooth to me.
A good motion blur implementation can help a lot, but does not fix the problem and is obviously blurring the image instead.
Depending on the display, it ranges from being completely unplayable and a source of motion sickness, to just being tolerable.

Many people have said that FFVIIR looks "really smooth" and I've even seen some say they thought it was running at 60 FPS.
That was not my experience at all. To me, it was immediately identifiable as running at 30 FPS.

It makes a difference in nearly every game.

It's important to note that this behavior varies depending on the display type, and even how it is configured.
  • With impulse-type displays (CRT, DLP, Plasma, or anything with BFI enabled) you will see double images like the ones in that photo - which is of an old CRT monitor of mine running at 96Hz.
  • With sample-and-hold displays (LCD, LCoS, OLED TV) you should see motion blur instead of double images.
But things are not so simple.
While LCD displays are typically driven using sample-and-hold, the backlight may use PWM either as a method of brightness control, or as a power-saving measure.
Instead of seeing clean motion blur, you will see multiple images displayed depending on the PWM rate - which is typically going to be several times higher than 60Hz.
Here's an example of this from TFT Central's page on PWM:
pwm-z8kxt.png

OLEDs are considered to be "flicker-free" sample-and-hold displays and have very quick response times, so they should in theory produce clean motion blur, but there is actually a slight flicker between frames - as shown in RTINGS' review of the C9 OLED:
c9-backlight-largecmjqj.jpg

You won't see that with a PWM-free LCD - it'll be a completely flat line.
But you do have slow response times on LCD, which can result in the appearance of double images when you still have an after-image of the previous frame.
If it would be CRT and refresh would be 30fps, there wouldn't be ghosting or blur from eyes following the object on screen. (As image flashes for short duration of time each frame.)
Problem would be the horrid 30hz flashing of light from monitor.

For sample and hold monitors like OLEDs the 60hz is still quite blurry for fast moving objects.
You should check out Pargon's reply to that on page 2, the example picture is not valid for LCDs in most use cases since they are not impulsed displays like CRTs.
In this case of LCDs, is it the suspension of the image between screen refreshes, and then the updates of the next frame which causes the ghosting? I tried to understand Paragon's post, but didn't quite grasp the luminous chart dips.

And on/off topic, with things like DLSS, do you think there might be room in the next five years for hardware rendering of approximations between frames to smooth out the variance between poor framerates?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Even with perfect frame-pacing, 30 FPS never really feels smooth to me.
A good motion blur implementation can help a lot, but does not fix the problem and is obviously blurring the image instead.
Depending on the display, it ranges from being completely unplayable and a source of motion sickness, to just being tolerable.

Many people have said that FFVIIR looks "really smooth" and I've even seen some say they thought it was running at 60 FPS.
That was not my experience at all. To me, it was immediately identifiable as running at 30 FPS.

It makes a difference in nearly every game.

It's important to note that this behavior varies depending on the display type, and even how it is configured.
  • With impulse-type displays (CRT, DLP, Plasma, or anything with BFI enabled) you will see double images like the ones in that photo - which is of an old CRT monitor of mine running at 96Hz.
  • With sample-and-hold displays (LCD, LCoS, OLED TV) you should see motion blur instead of double images.
But things are not so simple.
While LCD displays are typically driven using sample-and-hold, the backlight may use PWM either as a method of brightness control, or as a power-saving measure.
Instead of seeing clean motion blur, you will see multiple images displayed depending on the PWM rate - which is typically going to be several times higher than 60Hz.
Here's an example of this from TFT Central's page on PWM:
pwm-z8kxt.png

OLEDs are considered to be "flicker-free" sample-and-hold displays and have very quick response times, so they should in theory produce clean motion blur, but there is actually a slight flicker between frames - as shown in RTINGS' review of the C9 OLED:
c9-backlight-largecmjqj.jpg

You won't see that with a PWM-free LCD - it'll be a completely flat line.
But you do have slow response times on LCD, which can result in the appearance of double images when you still have an after-image of the previous frame.
Subjectively:
Without Gamemode on I see double images surrounding the alien from all the frames previous frame (like the LED PWM image there or the CCFL PWM). With gamemode on I see a flat blur in between those frames, but basically impossible to distinguish the current alien image. With Gamemode on and 60hz strobe from Black frame insertion, I see A slight tinge behind the blur buster alien image, which is much clearer and then a distinct second ghost behind it. Samsung NU 8000.

Oct 26, 2017
I'll politely disagree, some of the character movement might look smooth but 30 fps remains very noticeable. This is incredibly obvious when you compare it to the same game running at a stable 60fps, it feels slow and unresponsive.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a noticeable difference between pc and console at the same frame rate? Eg maybe some console games with capped 30fps are tuned around that framerate to optimise input lag, motion blur set just right for that framerate etc. Sometimes a pc game running at 30 feels less smooth than a console game at 30. Is that the display or something else (or am I crazy)?

Deleted member 10234

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In this case of LCDs, is it the suspension of the image between screen refreshes, and then the updates of the next frame which causes the ghosting? I tried to understand Paragon's post, but didn't quite grasp the luminous chart dips.
On an LCD without backlight strobing, PWM controlled backlight or such the luminosity chart would be constant between frames. There shouldn't be clear duplicate ghost images visible, rather the moving objects have a blurry "tail". In short it's caused by your eye following the object in a linear fashion while on the display it actually moves in short steps while remaining visible between the steps.

This article explains the cause of motion blur better, it's written from an OLED's perspective but the same is true for LCDs without the aforementioned technologies: https://blurbusters.com/faq/oled-motion-blur/

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Images from blur busters are taken with moving camera and following the Ufo.
So the from frame to next the UFO jumps from location to next and moving camera next to it sees the time UFO is still as a blur. (Motion blur caused by moving camera.)

Blur is still quite visible in 60hz displays and fast scrolling. (Monster Boy is excellent game to see this.)
120hz should reduce the blur width to half, so it should be better. (120hz with 120hz BFI should look sharp.)

And on/off topic, with things like DLSS, do you think there might be room in the next five years for hardware rendering of approximations between frames to smooth out the variance between poor framerates?
Frame interpolation tech properly done in engine could be one way to get good looking 120fps image for most cases. (research from few years ago already was quite nice, would love to see proper implementation in games as an option.)

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
For me, a lot of 30fps games with good framepacing and some motion blur sure look smooth, like Spider-Man.
But my issue is that they don't feel responsive, and that's one of the most important things for me. So yeah, 60 fps is the minimum for me (or 50+ with adaptive sync).

Hydeus

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
France
Yeah no. I bought a monster pc last September. It's night and day. 30 fps is smooth because you are used to.
In fact it's not.

Sasaud

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a console gamer so i'm used to 30fps with drops, but for people who are saying it's still smooth just try TLOU R which runs at 60 and then lock the frames from the options to 30.
Next gen has to offer a 60fps option on all games even if it leads to lower res.

Oct 27, 2017
What? It's precisely turning camera around in RDR2 what made me nauseous. Couldn't see shit unless I was walking/riding in a straight line without touching the camera. Played it on an OLED which probably made it worse, but still, 30fps is not what I would choose

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
For me, a lot of 30fps games with good framepacing and some motion blur sure look smooth, like Spider-Man.
But my issue is that they don't feel responsive, and that's one of the most important things for me. So yeah, 60 fps is the minimum for me (or 50+ with adaptive sync).

They aren't if you're 30fps and the game input response is tied to that that's half of s controller's natural response time.

16.6ms vs 8ms.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
the most fluid 30fps games of this gen for me are spiderman and horizon (in performance mode), with spiderman being the winner, it's scary how that game gave me almost the sensation of 60 fps in some rare instance.

but i generally hate playing at 30 fps.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
God of War (the new one) failed hard in this regard.
Felt awful in 30fps mode. And marginly less awful in unlocked mode.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
God of War (the new one) failed hard in this regard.
Felt awful in 30fps mode. And marginly less awful in unlocked mode.

i played half the game in quality mode and didnt enjoy the combat whatsoever. Switched to performance mode and I enjoyed my time with the game significantly more, despite the uneven framerate. It just made the input response so much faster.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
i played half the game in quality mode and didnt enjoy the combat whatsoever. Switched to performance mode and I enjoyed my time with the game significantly more, despite the uneven framerate. It just made the input response so much faster.
Yeah the 30fps mode felt like moving through treacle.
Not good for an character action game, not good at all.

Hopefully if that game gets a PS5 port or a PC port or whatever it will run at a locked 60fps.
Which should of been the target from the start!

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody intentionally locks games to 30fps on PC, especially not for the sake of some "argument". Most PC gamers - if not all - have played games on consoles too.

Some prefer to do half refresh vs a game their hardware can only run at say between 35 and 45fps.

Not every PC gamer has high end 4k/60 rigs despite what the internet thinks.

Oct 27, 2017
Some prefer to do half refresh vs a game their hardware can only run at say between 35 and 45fps.

Not every PC gamer has high end 4k/60 rigs despite what the internet thinks.
My approach is that you should try max out your frame rate by CPU and monitor limits. You can let your GPU scale from there as far as resolution in most cases. Especially if you are trying to get to just 60 fps, try cuting the resolution down to hit better fps targets IMO.