• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think the trope is named after him "The Worf Effect" because how do you show your bad guy of the week is someone to not be messed with? You have them beat up the best fighter on the ship.

"Do Klingons fear death as much as humans? I could snap your neck in a second but it wouldn't be as much fun."

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
He also gets denied over & over again.

youtu.be

Worf gets DENIED again and again on Star Trek TNG.

Update: Michael Dorn has watched this video and he finds it amusing, he mentions it in this Q&A: https://youtu.be/AEzSV1hF2Sk?t=118. It thrills me to no end ...

Poor Worf.
There's a Ryan Edits video I've been trying to dig out again which breaks down how Picard's approach to dealing with the Borg flips entirely because he refuses to agree with Worf.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
How else would they demonstrate that the alien of the week is really strong/powerful/a serious threat?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Since he is the beat fighter on the show he gets jobbed out to prove the situation is serious.

When he gets to DS9 he's treated more serious.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Worf has amazing moments on DS9, including what may be the most badass moment in that entire series.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
He gets the same treatment as Vegeta in Dragonball, got a new villain, have them beat up Vegeta to show just strong the new villain is. Same thing for Worf.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Yeah, Worf's treatment in Next Gen is pretty absurd, but I'll still argue that the ultimate "supposedly super-tough sci-fi character who jobs for the bad guys in order to show the stakes" is still Chewbacca.

The poor Wookie had a goddamn moon dropped on him just to prove how tough the new villains of the week were.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Best TNG Worf moment

"Then die in ignorance"

Also, talking shit to Q

jp319

Oct 27, 2017
He wasn't always a chump. He had some great moments on TNG too, like taking the fall to save the empire, then later taking Duras out. Duras was a punk but Worf killed him on his own ship in front of his men.

He also rescued Picard from the Borg, helped Gowron take the high council, beat multiple Datas on the holodeck, and delivered Keiko's baby.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
I think the trope is named after him "The Worf Effect" because how do you show your bad guy of the week is someone to not be messed with? You have them beat up the best fighter on the ship.

"Do Klingons fear death as much as humans? I could snap your neck in a second but it wouldn't be as much fun."

This video is over the course of a single episode.