• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
Throughout my life, since I've enjoyed gaming from the beginning, I've always been weirdly fascinated and drawn to games that are strange, surreal, or "avant-garde". Quality of the actual gameplay in question has never really mattered to me, I just like how the atmosphere, music, and visuals of such titles make me "feel" even if I'm not particularly having fun.

I'm looking for literally anything that could fit the bill, whether it be that random itch.io game that got only a couple of downloads and only you have even seen/heard of it, or whether it's some weird Dreams, Garry's Mod, or VR Chat mod/world. The rabbit hole always seems to go deeper than I'm ever capable of investigating on my own.

Games like these are commonly attributed hand in hand with the horror genre since the surrealist take always melds perfectly with the ability to scare people due to the unknown factor and difficulty of being able to properly process the content within.

Some really common examples are games like:

Yume Nikki
dreamdiary.0.png

LSD Dream Simulator
5146803377_158f831b13_z.jpg

Hylics 1 & 2
ss_3566dc8c85fca1b4d8eb4d6597bf5c342b9c4994.1920x1080.jpg

Soda Drinker Pro
347720_screenshots_20170219010031_1.jpg

While not actually a video game that you can play, a good example of the "feeling" I'm talking about is also the Petscop Youtube Series:

And some recent examples of games I've greatly enjoyed that fit the bill are some games like the following:

OMORI
yMv7SzXZvbfnhoAQu8eiRZ.png

Broken Reality
Dxs6iacWwAAlm6C

LISA
ss_0fe25978bb31b5b45c0d8db891700aa1bc534fb2.1920x1080.jpg

Hypnospace Outlaw
7rVNomSsL8gQ2CJyhrbAiS.png

This subgenre definitely goes much much deeper than what I've laid out above, but I mostly wanted to knock out some of the obvious and more well known examples. So let me know what you've all got in store!

Last edited:

Iyagovos

Verified
Jan 18, 2018
Have you played the Norwood games?

store.steampowered.com

The Norwood Suite on Steam

Explore the mysterious Hotel Norwood in this surreal first-person adventure. Curious characters, forgotten secrets, and head-nodding music await your arrival.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jazzpunk, of course

store.steampowered.com

Jazzpunk: Director's Cut on Steam

Jazzpunk is a comedy adventure set in an alternate reality Cold War World, plagued with corporate espionage, CyberCrime, and sentient martinis. Gameplay is inspired by spoof comedy films and cartoons of yesteryear, with a focus on weird gadgets, exotic locales, and open-world style exploration.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I hope Hylics comes to Switch.

There's this game that just came out last month called Fatum Betula that looks like it might be up your alley. It looks a lot like LSD Dream Simulator.

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
www.pcgamer.com

Cruelty Squad is a depressing Rainbow Six fever dream

A bizarre tactical shooter set in a psychedelic hell world.
Playing this game yesterday is what spurred me to want to make this thread.

I'm not sure how into it I am, it's genuinely challenging so it was difficult for me to appreciate the oddities of the visuals without trying to really focus on the gameplay elements of it. I think my main issues were the reloading mechanic and the stock market stuff. I probably need to put more time into it.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
first thing that comes to mind for me is always Killer 7 and also the older stuff made by cactusquid (one of the two guys who did hotline miami) especially mondo agency and mondo medicals

Zeranium

Oct 27, 2017
Fatum Betula on PC/Switch come to mind
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1281270/Fatum_Betula/

Patrick Klepek wrote up a pretty good piece on it
https://www.vice.com/en/article/3an...betula-harkens-back-to-a-classic-era-of-games

Something else is Anodyne 2
https://store.steampowered.com/app/877810/Anodyne_2_Return_to_Dust/

moon: Remix RPG on Switch is also something else worth checking out. The same devs would go on later to make Chulip on PS2 (which is on PS3 as a PS2 Classic.) That's something as equally bizarre

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I hope Hylics comes to Switch.

There's this game that just came out last month called Fatum Betula that looks like it might be up your alley. It looks a lot like LSD Dream Simulator.

It's on sale for it's last day now in certain eShop regions and it's got heavy LSD Dream Simulator vibes for sure

adbb39e5254f04f5deb1163fc56d298c6d7d8e40.gifv

Oct 27, 2017
I can recommend Paratopic? Available on Steam and Switch. It is very short though, it shouldnt take you more than 50 mins to finish it. Give or take another 30 mins to get all achievements.

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
I can recommend Paratopic? Available on Steam and Switch. It is very short though, it shouldnt take you more than 50 mins to finish it. Give or take another 30 mins to get all achievements.

Loved Paratopic, very "David Lynch" feeling, which is exactly the feeling I'm always chasing.

It's on sale for it's last day now in certain eShop regions and it's got heavy LSD Dream Simulator vibes for sure

adbb39e5254f04f5deb1163fc56d298c6d7d8e40.gifv
Fatum Betula on PC/Switch come to mind
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1281270/Fatum_Betula/

Patrick Klepek wrote up a pretty good piece on it
https://www.vice.com/en/article/3an...betula-harkens-back-to-a-classic-era-of-games

Something else is Anodyne 2
https://store.steampowered.com/app/877810/Anodyne_2_Return_to_Dust/

moon: Remix RPG on Switch is also something else worth checking out. The same devs would go on later to make Chulip on PS2 (which is on PS3 as a PS2 Classic.) That's something as equally bizarre
Fatum Betula is on my watch list, I definitely need to buckle down and get it. Today might be the day.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
You'd probably like Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass.

And while I'm still kind of split on the gameplay, the Visual Style of Narita Boy is GOING FOR IT.

nanhacott

Technical artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Oh absolutely play anything and everything by Kitty Horrorshow. Sounds like 1000% your thing and (imo) at the top of the genre.

They're all pretty short, I'd recommend starting with CHYRZA and then dropping a few dollars for ANATOMY.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Thank you OP for making this thread. I'd been wanting to create a thread about "Mother-likes" which are basically a subset of what you listed, so I'm definitely subscribing to this thread because it's very much relevant to my interests :D

Some additional games to keep an eye on:

She Dreams Elsewhere

Strangeland

Oddity

Knuckle Sandwich

Older freeware:
OFF
Space Funeral (probably most things by thecatamites really)

Windosill is really good. And only $3

Similarly, almost anything by Amanita Design kinda belongs here too. Namely the Samarost games, Botanicula, Chuchel, and the upcoming Happy Game.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
Oh absolutely play anything and everything by Kitty Horrorshow. Sounds like 1000% your thing and (imo) at the top of the genre.

They're all pretty short, I'd recommend starting with CHYRZA and then dropping a few dollars for ANATOMY.
I absolutely love everything by Kitty Horrorshow.

Tangentially, I'd counter recommend you check out all of Chilla's Art games, they're in the same vain but from a Japanese dev with influences of Japanese horror culture.

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
Thank you OP for making this thread. I'd been wanting to create a thread about "Mother-likes" which are basically a subset of what you listed, so I'm definitely subscribing to this thread because it's very much relevant to my interests :D

Some additional games to keep an eye on:

She Dreams Elsewhere

Strangeland

Oddity

Knuckle Sandwich

Older freeware:
OFF
Space Funeral

Almost anything by Amanita Design kinda belongs here too

All of these are incredible looking, definitely checking them out!

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will add to the Fatum Betula recommendations. I didn't feel like playing for all the endings but I enjoyed its surreal pseudo-PS1 vibe.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
All of these are incredible looking, definitely checking them out!

I haven't played these yet but I would also add:

Dujanah

Baobab's Mauseoleum:

Not sure if this counts (haven't played it either):

Snakes of Avalon

And Moon: Remix RPG was definitely surreal enough in my book:

Last edited:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'd also recommend Fatum Betula. It's a little short even with all the endings but it also did a couple things that totally caught me off guard.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah if you're into Weird Shit that tugs at your heartstrings definitely get Moon: Remix RPG Adventure on Switch. It's an Adventure game by the director of Chibi Robo and is a prototype of a lot of the ideas seen in that game, where the premise is that you get sent into an RPG game where the Hero is wrecking havoc by killing monsters for experience points and you have to solve puzzles to collect Love, which lets you survive longer as the game runs on a Stamina meter where once it's out you die.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I stan for notpron: http://notpron.org/notpron/

It's essentially a (free) very difficult and obscure ARG puzzle game where you finding the password to the next level can involve anything from googling historical facts to downloading pictures off the site and photoshopping them. I got about halfway through the game with a few friends over the course of a few weeks before giving up, but it was a pretty unforgettable ride.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I don't think I'm thinking deep enough lol, but is Hypnospace still on Game Pass? Genesis Noir just came out on it..

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Jazzpunk, of course

store.steampowered.com

Jazzpunk: Director's Cut on Steam

Jazzpunk is a comedy adventure set in an alternate reality Cold War World, plagued with corporate espionage, CyberCrime, and sentient martinis. Gameplay is inspired by spoof comedy films and cartoons of yesteryear, with a focus on weird gadgets, exotic locales, and open-world style exploration.

JazzPunk should be played by anyone that has a sense of humor and needs a laugh.

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
Oh yeah if you're into Weird Shit that tugs at your heartstrings definitely get Moon: Remix RPG Adventure on Switch. It's an Adventure game by the director of Chibi Robo and is a prototype of a lot of the ideas seen in that game, where the premise is that you get sent into an RPG game where the Hero is wrecking havoc by killing monsters for experience points and you have to solve puzzles to collect Love, which lets you survive longer as the game runs on a Stamina meter where once it's out you die.
Moon RPG is awesome, can't wait to get my physical copy. Played a ton of it on my Switch.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast

Throwing my vote to this, too. It's not as short as some of these other surreal games can be, but it's clashing art styles and world exploration fit the bill. Everyone is voiced by television clips from different different languages mixed with static. And I will never not be terrified by the American father's neck.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't release until May, so I can't report whether or not it's good, but it seems to fit the bill.

store.steampowered.com

An Airport for Aliens Currently Run by Dogs on Steam

An Airport for Aliens Currently Run by Dogs is an open-world comedy adventure game. Talk to stock photo dogs. Solve their problems. Catch your flight. And call it Dog Airport Game when you get tired of saying the full title, like I did three months ago.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
How about The Eternal Cylinder?

Also some of their other games!

Zeno Clash 1 and 2!

It's a bit jank, but back then it was the best first-person melee combat you could find, by a LOT. Much to my GREAT SHAME, I never did play 2. ):

To a lesser extent, Rock of Ages 1, 2, and 3!

Very Monty Python esque which definitely fits what you're asking for very well to me.

To a probably(?) even lesser extent, Abyss Odyssey!(?) I mean, to be honest, not really, but...

...Honestly I'm mostly mentioning this one because I loved it and I think it didn't get enough attention. It's a roguelite-ish fighting game thing. Characters all feel and play as fighting game characters, instead of normal action platformer characters. Nothing super complex, but things like air dodges, fast falling, parrying, move decays, attack cancelling. Specials are more like Smash than traditional fighting games, though. Just neutral, up, and down. Anyway that's enough rambling. I apologize. D:

Also this thread is totally made for me, so thanks.