• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
Microsoft, Sony and Ubisoft were still great every year to me. I really do hope it comes back next year because there's just something magical about looking forward to that week where so much news drops.

I hate the trickle out "we'll do a bit now, a bit in June and a bit in July" that a bunch of companies seem to be moving to this year.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Indeed. These upcoming weeks would have been amazing hype weeks and then E3.
I guess you really miss something when its gone.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, like I said a few weeks ago in a similar thread, I get why gaming journalists and media are loving the fall of E3, but for the average fan, it really sucks to see.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
BTW, I'm totally understanding of why it is this way this year. It is a shitty situation and this is like number one million down the line of actually important things that is going on the world today. I didn't want my posts to come across like this is the most important thing of all time. I'm just super bummed about losing my Christmas in June. And, I'm very nervous about what this means for having my Christmas in June ever again. I've taken the week off and binged for as long as some on the site have been alive, I'd imagine. So, it does hurt a lot to lose it if it goes away and just turns into announcing games at whatever pace companies feel like. I understand it's a selfish position but I'm not trying to argue against any other position with my posts here. Just giving my personal feeling on it.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I'm with ya, OP. E3 was like a second Christmas for me. I'd get myself a jumbo combo pizza from Godfather's and bask in the game reveals.

I understand why they're doing what they're doing this year, and know that it's the right move, but it still sucks personally.

Hopefully one of the summer events taking its place will be enough to get me in the zone.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, while things are understandably sparse given the ESA, a global plague and police brutality protests, I admit I really need an E3 event for next year.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This week would have been the best. Full hype mode, rumours, hints from insiders. I miss it.
I hope its back next year. I hope we kinda realize we miss something really when something is gone.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Yeah, everybody shitting on E3 like crazy...

"We don´t need that" "It was already dead, pointless"

And now what?

This is what you got.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never attacked or wanted E3 to disappear. I realized how great it is to have info condensed. I prefer if they could make E3 2 weeks instead of 1 week though. It builds hype and brings all of the gaming community together. This is what you want.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i'm not missing it. didn't hate it...it was fun the times i watched it but i just don't miss it lol. maybe cause i'm from the UK so it always happened when i'm sleeping so never always managed to watch it live and would just read about it.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I think everyone misses a week of concentrated gaming news for the year. I don't think most people think it has to be called E3, or indeed be organised by the esa.

I'd love an event next year with industry fans and people gathered in one space to celebrate games and get hyped. I'd also love it NOT to be organised by the ESA if at all possible.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The actual convention aspect of it was never relevant since I couldn't attend. Companies spending huge amounts of money on booths was whatever.

But the guaranteed, dedicated week of megaton game announcements and news is what was good about E3, and is what is sorely missed.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
I'm gonna let this summer play out before I really decide how I feel about it. But I find myself hopeful that the ESA concedes whatever needs to be conceded to get everyone back in the fold to bring E3 back.

I miss most of the post conference coverage like the giantbomb interviews. But I suppose we'll have to see if those things can make a comeback with or without E3 once we get past this year of hell.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I don't miss it. It was fun but there has been enough information released with big titles on the horizon that I am fine with those. Also, there is just too much uncertainty going on in the world for me to be 100% zeroed in on people trying to sell me a product.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
I just miss it in general but last year was lackluster and probably this year would've been the same so not really

Muras

Oct 28, 2017
The actual convention aspect of it was never relevant since I couldn't attend. Companies spending huge amounts of money on booths was whatever.

But the guaranteed, dedicated week of megaton game announcements and news is what was good about E3, and is what is sorely missed.

This is pretty much how I feel. I don't really care about E3 itself or all the flashiness it brought with it. But I'm generally a Nintendo gamer and Nintendo likes to sit on news as long as they can, so it was nice to have at least one day you could reliably say "We'll get some news on this day for sure!".

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I miss E3, it used to be a good event, I used to make a day of it.

E3 was doomed this year no matter what.

The show was losing influence with publishers like Sony pulling out.

What got it this year was Covid 19 but if that didn't get it the current protests would probably have cancelled it. The memorial is today and the funeral is Monday or Tuesday so the conference could have overshadowed it. This weekend to next Tuesday would have been all the conferences for E3.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, everybody shitting on E3 like crazy...

"We don´t need that" "It was already dead, pointless"

And now what?

This is what you got.

This is what you would have gotten anyway?

Or do you seriously think that this year's E3 would have proceeded as normal in the US's current state?

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Don't really miss it and the big online events are still coming. I will get what I need out of those. It's just a question of when.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I dont miss the E3 per se, but i miss that we got so many news/infos etc. within 1-2 weeks. Now everything is spread out through whole summer, and to be honest, i dont care. Not gonna jump into watching every small event, it's just too much for me.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summer Games Fest freaking blows. It doesn't feel any different than the normal year long drips and drops of information. I greatly miss E3.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I miss the crazy conference week. It was always so special, gathering with friends with lots of snacks, BBQ and beers and then enjoy a night full of gaming news, hype and the occasional round of Mario kart in between.

:(

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
As an online spectator, most of the complaints about the event didn't really affect me. It was a chance to sit down and watch through a barrage of announcements, which was fun. I miss it too.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think that was great, it was part of the fun, nice to see these beautiful elaborate sets with interviews taking place, gamers in the background enjoying games.

There's no doubt in my mind that E3 is still the greatest gaming event in the year, and this format of videos split over a month is terrible. We don't get to see multiple interviews taking place of developers, see journalists come together from different sources and express thier views, get to see some of the other faces behind these game etc. 1 week of megatons was worth the year wait tbh. Which was usually unpacked and analysed over the coming weeks. It was also when the conversation of gaming shifted dramatically from the previous year.

It needs to come back next year. It's been almost 1 year since Xbox event with Keanu Reeves.

Last edited:

Metallia

May 31, 2018
That week of excitement was always something to look forward to, and while it's good that E3 is gone due to all the issues it had, the actual strength of E3 for non-visitors was always the conferences that aren't even strictly part of E3 anymore in the first place.

Summer Games Fest promised to be that but a bit more spread out, but with such a loose plan, and so many of the reveals being disconnected, it's a lot easier to just phase over the things that don't matter to you. Part of the fun of E3 was seeing things that made you think "why are they showing us this" (like EA showing mobile Command and Conquer) or seeing companies showboat terribly (Bethesda every year pretty much). That's basically not been a thing with SGF because you can pick and choose what you watch and the pacing of there being something huge nearly every day for a week isn't there either, so part of the charm is gone.

However I think if SGF is given time and lives up to the promise and benefits of a digital event more as it goes on, I could prefer it to that week of excitement E3 had. Still, a bit of condensing of it would be appreciated.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
People only realize what they had until it's gone.

I hope next week at least has the Sony event and some Nintendo announcements.

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
Never remember this E3 is terrible narrative when Sony was attending and was constantly "winner e3" every year. But, since they left E3 is bad let it die.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given current events, I honestly forgot about it.
I feel there is no escape from depression, anxiety and stress. Everywhere I look, be it on this website, social media, or television - is just a constant reminder of how royally fucked things are in multiple ways.

I honestly could use a reprieve, even if it's just for a few hours.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Cancelled my holiday days this week that I usually use over E3. I'm pretty sad, the streams with friends on Discord are a highlight of my year usually.

Never remember this E3 is terrible narrative when Sony was attending and was constantly "winner e3" every year. But, since they left E3 is bad let it die.

bigHmmm

May 19, 2020
I feel there is no escape from depression, anxiety and stress. Everywhere I look, be it on this website, social media, or television - is just a constant reminder of how royally fucked things are in multiple ways.

I honestly could use a reprieve, even if it's just for a few hours.
Considering how you're framing this I don't think game commercials are going to change anything for you honestly. I suggest finding an unplugged, low-tech hobby.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Yeap, best time of the year. I don't care if it's called E3 or not but it'll hopefully come back next year.

psionotic

May 29, 2019
It's good that it was canceled, but I would really like something positive to look forward to, even if it is just my own naked consumerism. It was good and right for Sony to move back their event for today, but was still a little sad about it when I first heard, for the same reason.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's good that it was canceled, but I would really like something positive to look forward to, even if it is just my own naked consumerism. It was good and right for Sony to move back their event for today, but was still a little sad about it when I first heard, for the same reason.

yeah i think as enthusiast we are all pretty bummed. But sony moving was indeed the right move, and an e3 happening now would have been wildly innapropriate. We will have time to celebrate later, but not until people see the justice they deserve. Its similar to post 9/11, it just doesnt feel like an appropriate time to celebrate when we should be mourning and fighting the powers that be.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I dont miss E3, I miss game announcements. Everyone is holding announcements far too long. Now, I understand the unrest in the USA makes it more difficult now, but even prior to that, companies were just way to silent.

Neoraxis

Nov 27, 2017
I dont miss the era of streaming E3 because it's mostly cringe stuff, i miss the magazine coverage of the 90s.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people don't really understand that E3 is also a gathering of gaming minds and creators.
The Giant Bomb live shows an easy allies content etc. all these sites pump out their best content doing interviews etc. with everyone in a single room.

It's like a completely separate event to look forward to after the onslaught of announcements.
People who see no difference in that and online shows aren't sensitive to the difference of a live reaction vs an online one and I wish I had that in me but I don't. I simply miss multiple aspects of the live stuff, something I wouldn't have said a few months ago.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
giphy.gif

Some of you need to really chill with these "I miss E3" threads. We get it, we liked E3 too, but at least wait untill this is over.

I believe that as soon as one or two megatons come out of this people will relax a bit about this E3 stuff.

The megatons will come with or without E3. The discussion is about wanting a concentrated few days of gaming expo vs news spread over months.

Oct 25, 2017
In one respect, the goings on in America and the world make things like videogame events seem meaningless but at the same time, I could use badass entertainment announcements as a momentary escape from the despression.