• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much do you value portability?

• It makes me pick a game on Switch over other platforms, if available.

Votes: 387 35.1%
  • It might push me towards the Switch version, but I'll still value other things over it.

Votes: 263 23.8%
  • I don't care about it at all. I'll only grab a game on Switch if it's an exclusive or cheaper.

Votes: 454 41.1%

• Total voters

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not as much portability but the entire hybrid concept of the device itself that makes me choose to buy games on Switch over PS4. The convenience of being able to hook it up to the projector in the living room, the monitor in the office, play it lying on the sofa or in bed or take it on holidays just trumps everything. Both my girlfriend and I own a Switch each and use it extensively, often at the same time. And thanks to it being a hybrid there's never a situation where one of us can't play or watch something because the other is hogging a screen.

The system is obviously compromised in some ways due to being less powerful than the other consoles. It also doesn't get all the games and many of them perform noticeably worse. It's why I still keep a PS4 around for the times when I do want to play something that is straight up unavailable on Switch. But more often than not, it's a choice between either playing a game on Switch or not at all. I've been replaying the first TLOU, a ~15h game, because my girlfriend wanted to watch and over two weeks later I'm still not done. It's why I've completely stopped buying RPGs on home consoles because I know that I will never finish them there. If a game has a badly performing Switch version, I sometimes skip it altogether because I can't be arsed to play it on a stationary console. The very first game my girlfriend finished was Journey on the PS4. She hasn't touched the system for anything other than Disney+ since we moved in together earlier this year.

When I was a student, single and living in a flat share with lots of free time this was less of a concern. I had all of my stuff set up in the room I was renting and could spend hours upon hours playing on my PC without a single care in the world. With a full-time job and limited free time plus other hobbies, choice paralysis when it comes to media became a real problem. The more convenient it is for me to play a game when and where I want to, the more likely I am to spend time with it. It's also why I appreciate streaming services like Netflix and Disney+. Often when cooking or cleaning dishes I set up my MacBook or iPad to watch something. For me, that's sometimes the only way I can watch something. Traditional consoles are similar to a BluRay player that is hooked up to your home system. This is also a reason why I'm pretty interested in xCloud.

To summarize, the appeal of Switch is only partially its portability, it's the fact that it lines up with the way I play games. It's not only become the de facto place for me to play but has also dramatically increased my total playtime.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Don't care about portability at all. I have multiple TV's and consoles at home.

I'm also not the type to be gaming when I'm out somewhere (more likely to be on the phone).

I only buy games on Switch if they're exclusive or cheap. In fact, I can't remember the last time I turned on my Switch despite liking it a lot, and when I do turn it on I have it hooked to a tv.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to play it portable more but the joycon drift does my head in. It now collects dust in docked

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
I play more than i ever have in years thanks to the portability. When i get tired i'll just pop it out of the dock to lay down and keep playing.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
It's less portability that you can take anywhere, and more flexibility to play anywhere in your home. I have a Tv and monitor in my room, but sometimes I want to lie in bed and play, or play at the dinner table, or wherever else really, and I can. Feels silly, but I feel like having to sit in a chair to play games has become really limiting since the Switch came out lol.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I used to be spoiled on the switch

But now with my Razer Kishi, I'm playing my series x and ps5 games everywhere, out and about, just like my switch. Things are definitely more even now.

Remote play and gamepass cloud streaming work really darn well

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I only use it in handheld mode for the most part... but I barely ever use it at all. I basically use it to game once in a blue moon while my partner watches TV or something but I get so little use out of it at this point that I'm considering selling it. I have half of luigis mansion to play and otherwise I play mario kart once a year. I'm better served by a PlayStation and iPad.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Not me. I play XCDE in bed but the experience would be much better in my home theater. Not sure squeezing in another 30-60 minutes of gaming in bed is a healthy habit, and "playing anywhere" is even more edging on addiction, if I'm somewhere else than my house there's probably something else I should be doing instead of gaming. My phone is good enough to kill time in breaks at work.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mostly don't care about the performance in these cases, but if I have the opportunity to buy something on the switch and other consoles, I will almost always pick Switch version because of the portability.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It pretty much sits in the dock connected to my TV. The only thing I leave my condo for is to go to work, and I am not playing the Switch on the TTC due to risk of theft. Can't play it at work. Playing it in the living room is not for me, mainly because the rest of my family hang out there and watch loud ass TV. Portable mode for me is fairly useless.

Now tabletop mode, I fucking love it. If I'm watching a livestream or VOD, then it's in tabletop mode on my desk (Clubhouse games is amazing for this).

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't care about portability, I'd much rather have trophy and achievements with a better looking game. The only way i'd grab on switch over other platforms is exclusivity.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
hard to justify keeping my Switch relevant when games prices here in Brazil are 4x the price of steam and 2x price of PSN. then we have the option to buy games on the US store, which given the currency, it's even more pricier lmao.

mine is living solely on my neverending BOTW adventure.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
It's less portability that you can take anywhere, and more flexibility to play anywhere in your home. I have a Tv and monitor in my room, but sometimes I want to lie in bed and play, or play at the dinner table, or wherever else really, and I can. Feels silly, but I feel like having to sit in a chair to play games has become really limiting since the Switch came out lol.
Yeah we never take our Switches outside the house.

But it is just more convenient to play games on Switch. Instant portability and instant resume really make it more convenient.

However its obviously not something that is important to everyone as you can see from the responses in this thread.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
Definitely for me. Recently got The Outer Worlds on sale for Switch even though I own a PS4 and recognize that the PS4 version is the better version in every way. But we only have one TV, so I always feel bad taking it up to play on the TV. Being able to play it on the couch while I watch TV with my wife is the way I play games nowadays about 95% of the time.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yall don't use remote play and/or gamepass cloud streaming? It should solve the the portability problem for consoles, it does for me

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Yall don't use remote play and/or gamepass cloud streaming? It should solve the the portability problem for consoles, it does for me
I haven't tried gamepass streaming (which I think is the future) but I have used Sony's remote play and that is not nearly as convenient as the Switch. Trying to play on your iPad is not as nice as playing on an actual handheld. There are probably accessories that can make some attempt at fixing that but I have never really loved any of the ones that I have tried.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
i rarelly play outside, my switch hardly get out of the dock, so i really do not enjoy it as much as you

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One benefit of this method, is that I don't have to remember or be encumbered by another device, don't have to think about batteries or battery life, my phone is an essential piece of equipment, it's always with me, always charged (via car or multiple docking areas from home to the office). Adding another device to carry would need to be justified, and "more gaming" isnt a good reason. I still don't game on the go, but this option would be the only one that's viable for me.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I haven't tried gamepass streaming (which I think is the future) but I have used Sony's remote play and that is not nearly as convenient as the Switch. Trying to play on your iPad is not as nice as playing on an actual handheld. There are probably accessories that can make some attempt at fixing that but I have never really loved any of the ones that I have tried.
I use the razer kishi, and it feels almost exactly like a switch, i sometimes prefer to play my ps5 that way for spiderman lol

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I'm the opposite , the switch feels like garbage in portable mode. Joy cons are also terrible, I can't play anything without the pro controller.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
One benefit of this method, is that I don't have to remember or be encumbered by another device, don't have to think about batteries or battery life, my phone is an essential piece of equipment, it's always with me, always charged (via car or multiple docking areas from home to the office). Adding another device to carry would need to be justified, and "more gaming" isnt a good reason. I still don't game on the go, but this option would be the only one that's viable for me.
I find it a lot easier to pack my Razer Kishi, which can easily fit on my pocket, vs my switch

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I use the razer kishi, and it feels almost exactly like a switch, i sometimes prefer to play my ps5 that way for spiderman lol
Wow that controller is $100.

I always wanted Sony to make a high end hybrid like the Switch but Sony is obviously not making consoles that directly cater to my personal wants.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really like it when traveling, which I did a lot of before the pandemic. But I primarily play on the big screen.

I like that I can have both types of experiences on one device with no hassle or license management. It's perfect for me since I really do play both ways.

My only complaint is that I wish there were more original first party content over the last year or so, but of course, it's understandable due to the pandemic. I'm not one to buy too many ports of old games since I can play them on my older hardware in my setup. And for some Wii/ Wii U ports that rely on pointer controls or had Gamepad functionality, the Switch version usually feels less precise (I'm thinking captain toad, Super Mario Galaxy, and Pikmin 3).

So right now, it feels like I'm waiting for the next big thing on the platform. But it's been great so far.

Having a nearly perfect port of Doom on the go is delightful too.

Salient_Lion

Dec 20, 2020
I'm finding that remote play and the various streaming services are now negating the appeal of the Switch's portability. Running The Witcher 3 (for example) at 540p with lower graphic settings vs. 1080p with higher graphic settings and only minor macroblocking/delay really makes me start leaning towards the next-gen console/streaming versions for portable play.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Joycons suck, so I try not to play portable much, and my old man eyes are no good seeing stuff on the screen, even with reading glasses.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Over the years I've learned that portability just doesn't do it for me.. thought I would love the Vita, but just ended up barely using it.. and my Switch is an exclusives only machine that never leaves the dock.

I sometimes see a game releasing on Switch that I think "might be cool to have a portable version of that game!" but then I'm reminded of how I thought the same thing on Vita a couple of times.. and that I never use my Switch outside the dock lol

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Nah, portable mode is completely irrelevant to me, I have had a Switch since the day it launched and I have played it outside the dock a total of 0 times. I just don't want to play games on a small screen when I have a beautiful OLED to do so on. I also don't want to play games away from my house because I am probably busy doing other things. For the people that love portability go nuts, but it's something I couldn't care less about.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm finding that remote play and the various streaming services are now negating the appeal of the Switch's portability. Running The Witcher 3 (for example) at 540p with lower graphic settings vs. 1080p with higher graphic settings and only minor macroblocking/delay really makes me start leaning towards the next-gen console/streaming versions for portable play.
Yep, I'm leaning more towards streaming now

It's not even just about better quality, but games, all the AAA the switch doesn't get I can stream, if you add gamepass into the equation, it makes streaming/remote play super valuable and viable

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Playing on a moving vehicle makes me motion sick

Playing in front of strangers makes me uncomfortable

I can't even play it outside even if I wanted to due to a pandemic

The games are expensive and stay expensive

I'm always thinking "what would this game feel like if I wasn't playing on something so under powered" whilst playing

Demanding games are blurry

The portable ergonomics are awful and the analog sticks are cheap and awful feeling

All 4 of my joycons are drifting and I live in the UK

Pokemon sword was a huge disappointment

If it weren't for stardew valley, I wouldnt touch the thing.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
The only time I care about portability is when I'm traveling, which I haven't done in ages thanks to Covid.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

agreed but that minor latency bothers me quite a bit. It makes some games super hard to play :/

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I barely used it. Hades was the only game where I actually did shorter sessions so I had my Switch with me while working.

Some games look like noticeably worse while portable too.

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019
i only use mine for exclusives. pre pandemic i would bring it if i went on a work trip or something but other than that i only played it docked. since i've been working from home since march i think i only played it in portable once

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Depends on the game, honestly. A lot of the stuff I play feels horrible on that tiny screen and much better on a big tv screen.

Salient_Lion

Dec 20, 2020
agreed but that minor latency bothers me quite a bit. It makes some games super hard to play :/
Yeah, it's not ideal for all games. But especially for games that can run at 60fps on console/stream, but only at 30fps on Switch naively (again, Witcher), I find that they feel very much the same to play regarding input delay/lag.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
I ONLY play JRPG's (my favorite genre) portable. I'm at the point where I'm not buying games I know I would love (like Persona 5) because they aren't on Vita or Switch. Thank goodness for NISA for bringing Trails of Cold Steel 3 and 4 to Switch. I was tentatively hyped for the Mass Effect re-release but it's skipping Switch so....

Last edited:

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It's not really a factor for me at all.
There have been a few games I've bought on the Switch because I liked the idea of being able to play them anywhere, but the problem is that game UIs are often not designed with portable use in mind; graphics and performance are terrible in portable mode; and most of the time when I have the opportunity to play a game, I can do so on a bigger screen anyway.
I've basically stopped buying games on the Switch at all now due to the higher prices, lack of a refund policy, and having been burned one too many times on ports that are rendered unplayable to me by one (or several) of the reasons above.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
No, the convenience is all there is to it. A lot of people just can't regularly sit in front of a TV or monitor for that long - or don't want to.

If you're looking for something about portability that enhances the gameplay experience for people, you're missing the point.

It doesn't enhance the gameplay experience, it takes away immensely considering how the Switch version runs, looks, and plays (from the software to the actual sticks and buttons of the Switch) compared to any other version post PS3/360 era.

I mean, unless you stand and walk around playing a Switch at the same time dodging people and objects you pretty much are spending the same amount of time in front of you Switch's screen sitting or laying down in front of it.

I think you're kinda missing the point here. If you're reducing it to 'if I have the choice of both, am sitting in my living room in front of the awesome home media centre I've spent loads on tailoring it just the way I want it as I spend loads of time there and have several hours to myself, why would I choose the low power device with small screen?' then fair enough, that's totally understandable, I was much the same in my 20s. I poured hundreds of hours into Skyrim on PS3 on a big telly in a way I wouldn't be able to do without a Switch now, but still picked it up again on the latter.

I prefer playing rpgs on Switch now as it's preferable to not playing at all, and also being chained to a screen in a specific room to play through a 50 hour+ game feels archaic to me these days when I want to be able to stop and start and sling it in my pocket/a drawer /a bag or whatever I have a few minutes to make progress without needing to sit in a specific place to do so, much as I do with other media. As a parent that does a lot of travelling, that hasn't sat in front of a tv for more than an hour in a decade and that doesn't have endless hours to myself in the living room any more, convenience trading off against a lower-powered device is a preferable way to get the most out of gaming hardware compared to an expensive home media centre that I would barely ever get the time to use. It's not about the hardware specifically making the game itself more enjoyable in the moment of play, it's making those moments available to fit into a busy day- I didn't trade two home consoles and a stack of unplayed games in because I enjoyed playing them less, but because I didn't enjoy seeing them sitting there unused. That's why I haven't even had a dedicated home console in years. Even lockdowns here haven't made me think about buying one again. It's not about preferring the hardware having created the ideal conditions, having the time and invested in being able to sit and play a game in a specific place for hours on a regular basis, it's that those conditions aren't available on a regular basis for everyone, and so a preference to have media available whenever people can fit it in isn't unusual in 2020, no matter how much some hobbyists think specs and high-end performance are everything to experience a game in it's most enjoyable state, because that's the hobby to them. I've been using portables for 30 years, they pretty much are the hobby to me these days (although I've used them more than home consoles ever since starting commuting 20 years ago), and having bigger titles running on them now (no matter how rough the ports, looking at you The Outer Worlds) is a compromise on stuff I care way less about to gain the things I do.

To me it's also less that the Switch is a specifically wonderful portable (although the choice of big RPGs combined with indies and monhun makes its games range feel tailored to me given the tech and market moving to everything being multiplat where possible) and more that it's the last one left standing at a point where you can finally get big expansive RPGs on one. Are they the best versions comparing only software to software? No, obviously there's a performance difference between a something the size of a tablet and a huge home console. But trying to excise the portable hardware factor when defining why someone might prefer the version you can play on portable hardware feels like missing the wood for the trees. It's like asking why anyone would possibly keep compressed music files on their phone and enjoy having it accessible all the time because they can listen to it more, when they could have an amazing hifi setup with pro headphones and a comfy chair at home, or why they would enjoy using the tv apps on a tablet when they've got a huge flat-screen in the living room.

I mean, there is a time and place for everything and if my life was so hectic I would wait till I had down time to game instead of playing a Switch version on a plane or bus, or doing it on a lunch break. I have never even seen an adult playing their Switch outside because people usually have a different mindset and other priorities when they are out and about.

And as for what you are saying about the portable gaming hobby, it sounds like a lot of "You learn to do without". We are all gaming enthusiasts here and many of us have multiple high end platforms. It is extremely hard to not notice the drastic change in the quality of the experience and for me that is a put off. When I was a kid I remember the DS demo of Metroid Prime Hunters and thinking "Oh Cool look at it its Metroid Prime on a handheld!!111!!!" just for the novelty even though it looked and controlled like shit, but we are way passed those days in the industry and the bar keeps going higher and higher.

Al in all, its nice that you have revolved your hobby around portables just to enjoy it but I personally wouldn't narrow it down to just playing whatever is on the Switch.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It doesn't enhance the gameplay experience, it takes away immensely considering how the Switch version runs, looks, and plays (from the software to the actual sticks and buttons of the Switch) compared to any other version post PS3/360 era.

I mean, unless you stand and walk around playing a Switch at the same time dodging people and objects you pretty much are spending the same amount of time in front of you Switch's screen sitting or laying down in front of it.

I mean, there is a time and place for everything and if my life was so hectic I would wait till I had down time to game instead of playing a Switch version on a plane or bus, or doing it on a lunch break. I have never even seen an adult playing their Switch outside because people usually have a different mindset and other priorities when they are out and about.

And as for what you are saying about the portable gaming hobby, it sounds like a lot of "You learn to do without". We are all gaming enthusiasts here and many of us have multiple high end platforms. It is extremely hard to not notice the drastic change in the quality of the experience and for me that is a put off. When I was a kid I remember the DS demo of Metroid Prime Hunters and thinking "Oh Cool look at it its Metroid Prime on a handheld!!111!!!" just for the novelty even though it looked and controlled like shit, but we are way passed those days in the industry and the bar keeps going higher and higher.

Al in all, its nice that you have revolved your hobby around portables just to enjoy it but I personally wouldn't narrow it down to just playing whatever is on the Switch.
The difference is increasingly diminishing returns to me as time has gone by though. The difference between, say, the DS and GameCube Zelda games and being able to play BotW on a Switch vs the latest Ubisoft ones etc is like night and day. It's great that many people on era have an interest in multiple high end consoles, as you say, we are an enthusiast board. But I guess I'm just not so much of an enthusiast to need such a huge constant investment in multiple high-end options, a dedicated place and screen and regular sessions to play to engage in the hobby without feeling like I'm missing out, when 'good enough' is enough to meet my preferences to an ever-increasing degree.

I'm a huge monster Hunter fan and if anything was going to get me to pick up a home console again it would have been World, but I debated back and forth on it for years before eventually deciding the hundreds of hours I put into the portable games every couple of years is more than enough to scratch the itch.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I tend to go switch, but if it's something where I value the big screen experience more (for fidelity/performance reasons) I will usually go with the other consoles.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it's not ideal for all games. But especially for games that can run at 60fps on console/stream, but only at 30fps on Switch naively (again, Witcher), I find that they feel very much the same to play regarding input delay/lag.

Yup I agree. Witcher and assassins creed are totally fine. I tried Tony Hawk and it worked but it wasn't a great experience:(

Patch13

Oct 27, 2017
New England

I've been experimenting with streaming lately, trying out various cloud gaming services, and also getting streaming setup from my Xbox One and PS4. It's pretty cool, and each service and method has pluses and minuses. I think the Switch still has an edge, though.

Part of it is that I know that I can play my games even if I'm not near a network. That's not as important this year, but there will come a time when I get to travel again, I hope.

The other big part of it is the form factor: two controllers attached to a seven inch screen hits a sweet spot. My iPad has a larger screen, but there isn't a good place to hold a controller when you're reclining with an iPad -- the place where you naturally want to put the controller places it between you and the stuff you're trying to look at on the screen. Sitting up isn't much better. I've had some luck sitting on the floor in front of my coffee table, but that's not really ideal. I could play on my phone with a controller accessory, but my phone has a screen that is just slightly too small. I find my aging eyes missing that extra scale you get when your screen is just a bit too large to be pocket-able.

I have had some luck with touch controls on mobile devices -- I'm playing Genshin Impact on my iPad, and it's fine. But the Switch strikes a better balance of ergonomics, convenience, and reliability for me. Maybe in a future where we have iniquitous fast wireless, I'll cart around a seven inch Android tablet with attachable controllers. For now, the Switch is really where it's at.

Ymmv, of course. I'm glad that there are increasing options for playing on various devices, in various ways, with neat stuff like cross device saves on games like Hades and Fenix: Immortals Rising. I hope we see more of that sort of thing in the future. :-)

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got one at Christmas. I should probably try Fast Rmx on the tv at some point but the only other reason I've used it on the tv was super mario party where you have to. I can only see me using it in a limited way docked. Maybe occasionally with BOTW when I get it, for ports that are way better docked, and local multiplayer/party games. I can't see it happening too much this year for obv reasons but I'm a big fan of how easy it is to take and plug it to someone else's tv.

Last edited:

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

I do, and it's fine for slower paced games like an Assassin's Creed or even ghost of Tsushima. But trying to play fortnite, Tony Hawk, Spelunky, or rocket league, it's not a great experience. Still too many hitches on my network and the latency kills me. I used to have more issues with the remote play just completly crapping out, but opening my router ports helped that.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I do, and it's fine for slower paced games like an Assassin's Creed or even ghost of Tsushima. But trying to play fortnite, Tony Hawk, Spelunky, or rocket league, it's not a great experience. Still too many hitches on my network and the latency kills me. I used to have more issues with the remote play just completly crapping out, but opening my router ports helped that.
I mean I wouldn't play an online MP game, but assassin's Creed works great

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
I have a Switch Lite so I don't have that choice, but there is a subset of games I like being able to play whenever or wherever.

Since our baby was born, flexibility is a bonus and it's why I got a Switch in the first place. I don't need another TV console, but being able to go portable at home is clutch.

Edit: I should point out that switch is a secondary system to my PS5.

Last edited: