• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much do you value portability?

• It makes me pick a game on Switch over other platforms, if available.

Votes: 387 35.1%
  • It might push me towards the Switch version, but I'll still value other things over it.

Votes: 263 23.8%
  • I don't care about it at all. I'll only grab a game on Switch if it's an exclusive or cheaper.

Votes: 454 41.1%

• Total voters

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
the only game i've bought to play portable is dark souls because i had to travel

never play portable otherwise and with that one exception my switch is exclusives only

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Portability is not the be-all-end-all feature but it's a massive boon. So much so that it has caused me to double dip more times than I'd like to admit. The flexibility and unlimited backwards compatibility of PCs are still my killer features so I'm hoping GPD Win-like devices pick up steam. Relying on a relatively unknown and mostly unchallenged manufacturer like GPD doesn't seem like a great idea long term but I'm still eyeing the Win 3 to cover a need that the Switch definitely created (actually, the Wii U did. That gave me my first taste and the Switch is what I hoped for every time I used my Gamepad).

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I can watch a movie anywhere really, it doesn't mean the convenience made my premium TV an afterthought. I still watch them there. Once you have a nice TV it is hard to experience media elsewhere.

Beyond that, Switch sticks and buttons just don't compare to the feel of the DualSense/Xbox pads where I do most my gaming. Then there is the big drop in visuals and performance to consider...

I really wish I understood how getting to play a game on the go makes up for the many shortcomings you have to trade off for it.

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
Used mine at the airport for the first time last week and the portability aspect cannot be overstated.

Oct 30, 2017
the only game i've bought to play portable is dark souls because i had to travel

never play portable otherwise and with that one exception my switch is exclusives only
I bought Dark Souls on Switch as I was traveling a ton in 2019.

The small screen, 30 fps, and joycons just made the game very unpleasant for me.

Kinda disheartening.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I love portability, but not enough to pay more, play with drift and give up Steam features/sure BC. So I only buy Switch exclusives.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
I try to prefer Switch for multiplatform games if the sacrifices are not too big.
I've been out of home for one months and a half and having my Switch was a godsend

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
It is the #1 choice for me among other platforms if I have the option, unless the port itself is complete dogshit.

plan9

Nov 22, 2017
My Ps4 was pretty much left to collect dust the day the Switch arrived, so yeah, I'm with you OP. Switch is just too damn comfy to play wherever and whenever. Recently got Ps5 but remains to be seen if that will become my #1 option for gaming or not, somehow I think the Switch will still find more use in our household, at least in the near term..

Rubik8

Dec 5, 2018
Occasionally I will pick the Switch version due to portability. But the real value for me is that my kids can take the switch with them and leave the nice TV for me and the PS5.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Lately I've been playing tons of stuff on Series X / GamePass on TV, but I'm starting to want my Switch freedom back. Some of this has to do with sharing the TV with my partner - it was never an issue in the past as we both just played our own Switches and would swap using the TV freely.

A revision will put Switch front-and-center for me again. Switch is the laptop of gaming devices, and I can't speak for anybody else, but I don't really want to own a desktop PC again. When the Switch/Hybrid hardware starts to put out 4K and better framerates, dedicated home consoles will feel antiquated to me.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I've never liked having to start up the TV and be stuck there when playing.

I'll always go portable if I can. But I've never cared for visuals either, so that might be part of it.

Jul 3, 2019
Switch is the perfect second console. The other big two or a PC for graphically intense games, Switch for mid games, indies, and exclusives.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I find I actually go for Switch versions over PC when applicable because that's where my friends play. I'm only in handheld mode occasionally, despite it being my platform of choice.

ramenline

Jan 9, 2019
yepppp and with modding, the portability is even more incredible. if the next nintendo isn't portable, my interest will plummet

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Tried it for a few minutes undocked, noped and it's been docked since. Been collecting dust since Three Houses, I know it's not in the cards but I'd love another proper handheld.

Mr. Gold

Jul 1, 2019
Indies is where the Switch really shines.

Also, how easy it is to bring to a friends house to game. This reason alone justifies the purchase

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, spoiler culture is outa control

Says RIGHT on the box that it's a portable system

/s

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yap..portability is important factor for me too. Being able to switch between TV and portable is great value and just makes me finish game more. It just too comfy.

Manzoli

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
It'ss true that the Switch's controls aren't really the most comfortable

I don't really agree since on switch you have a lot of options for changing your controller. I've bought a Hori Split Pad Pro and haven't looked back.

But I agree with you on the portability, it's better than pure graphics and of course depends on your life style but the freedom to play anywhere is just magical to me.

Mr. Gold

Jul 1, 2019
Something else to consider for anyone not certain about trade-offs

I know of people who would rather game on their comfy couch on their OG PS4's at 30 FPS rather than their 2k thousand dollar tricked out computers because it is a more enjoyable experience for them

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
For PS360 gen remasters and indies, I'll nearly always choose Switch. The convenience is too much to pass up, as someone who shares the main TV. But for most current gen ports, as well as some other games, the compromises are just too much. Things like Doom are a great technical achievement, but I'd never buy it despite the portability.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Not once, but twice I believe I payed 60 dollars for games I could have had for 10 on Steam or PS4/XBONE, and I'd gladly do it again.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I love and prefer playing games on a portable — if the frame rate and resolution aren't ass, it turns out.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For some cases yah. I uses the second monitor of my PC for Nintendo Switch too (with hdmi switcher) , so that I can use my main monitor with PC to constantly reference games stuff. Recently replayed RE Revelations 2 on Switch and collected all of the collectibles, because I am able to constantly reference the internet to find their location. Also using my PC as a constant reference guide regarding the door symbols as well for Hades.

Then I bring it on the go for Animal Crossing. And the living room for multiplayer.

its my go-to platform for point and click, visual novel and multiplayer games as well. Some multiplayer games even offer exclusive modes (multi Switch setup, 8 players etc)

Last edited:

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd play more if the screen wasn't garbage. My iPhone and iPad have spoiled me.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
The portability is a huge plus, but many of the multiplatform games I've tried/seen have too many compromises for me to go with the Switch version. In most cases I'll favor the version that runs smooth and looks sharp over the version with portability. If a Switch revision comes out with a bit more horsepower I might play stuff on there a bit more often.

Even before 2020 I rarely used my Switch undocked, though. I drive to work and I don't have many opportunities during the day to use it. If I took the train and/or had more of a private space at work I might bring it more often.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
I always choose the Switch version of a game if i know that there are no visuals compromises, so mostly indie games. I also have the habit of buying the same games again on Switch. I had a quick look and here are the games i own on Switch that i also have in other platforms:

Horace
Grindstone
Among Us
Ori and the Blind Forrest
Ori and The Will of The Wisps
The Touryst
INSIDE
Rocket League
Earthworms
CrossCode
Minecraft Dungeons
Resident Evil 4
Resident REmake
Child of Light
Valiant Hearts: The Great War
Stardew Valley
Minecraft
Transistor
Xeodrifter
Mutant Mudds
Cuphead
Hollow Knight
Guacamelee 2
The Binding of Isaac
Grim Fandango
Doom
Runner 3
The Swindle
Shovel Knight
Cave Story
Undertale
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Lego City Undercover
Overcooked
Overcooked 2
Oxenfree
Rayman Legends
Skyrim
World of Goo
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (if that counts...)
The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
Yooka-Laylee
Road Redemption
Little Nightmares
Art of Balance
Gorogoa
GRIS
Sonic Mania
Thumper
Steamworld Dig
Steamworld Dig 2
Steamworld Heist
Snake Pass

Probably missed something...

Oct 27, 2017
Before ps5 I'd value switch versions more. But due to the speed of ssd I can't anymore.

like in 2k21, I could do portability with minute long loading screens to start a game, at half time, and after games. But on ps5 it's like 2 seconds

that said some games just work really well in portable mode

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Pre-pandemic, I'd have agreed with you. These days I've got more time free for sitting in front of my TV or PC, so I find myself not playing Switch as much these days and almost never in handheld.

Yep. I bought a 65" 4K TV in the autumn, so the idea of playing a full length game on a handheld is entirely unappealing.

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
As long as the performance is decent I'll always opt for the Switch version. It's how I played Doom, Dark Souls and Witcher 3. Even if I'm not leaving the house I don't want to be tethered to the bedroom television when the rest of my family is hanging out in another part of the house.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
No the battery live is poor for me. It's fine if you are playing in another room for an hour or two. Other than that it's not very portable. It has to be charged twice a day for me. Once in the morning and I secretly charge it at work as it would not have the power to play it all the way home.

spidye

Oct 28, 2017
playing on the toilet or in bed >>> every tv there is

in all seriousness, the older I get the the less time I want/can spend for gaming alone in front of the tv

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I love playing handhelds, even if I only play them in the house, but the handheld nature of the Switch feels pointless for me, when I can just play it on a TV in docked mode and nearly always get a better performing experience, and for 2D games that take advantage of the Switch screen in handheld mode I'm stuck with that sorry excuse for a d-pad and Joycon drift, plus absolutely awful wi-fi for online games.
That being said, I'd rather a new model/successor to close the gap between the two form factors, than go to like 4k 120fps docked 720p 60fps handheld.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Having portable versions of:
- Dark souls
- Dragons Dogma
- Final Fantasy 7-12
- Skyrim
- Bioshock 1-3
- Torchlight 2
- Assassins Creed 3,4 and Rogue
- Spyro 1-3
- Crash 1-3
- splatoon 2
- Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and 2
- Darksiders 1 and 2
- Animal Crossing
- DMC 1-3
- Fire Emblem 3 houses
and a fat stack of indies, all installed and ready to go at a moment's notice, on TV or handheld makes the switch the best console I've ever owned.
Almost 4 years later and still impressive

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quite the opposite with me. My Switch has been collecting dust all year while my PS4 got a workout.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
yepppp and with modding, the portability is even more incredible. if the next nintendo isn't portable, my interest will plummet

Yeah agreee. My OG switch is mostly an android 10 system for playing stadia, GeForce now and moonlight. I didn't know about the Split Pad Pro but I think that will perfect the system for me, if it's supported.

I have a family so this device keeps me playing since I don't like just hiding away at the pc and I don't get to game on the tv much.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I find it weird how many people have a switch, but basically only play it at home. So they actively choose to play on a small screen and a lower quality. I'm assuming because it's comfy in their bed or tucked away in a corner. But can't you just setup your console similarly and have a better experience?

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about portability at all. I grab games on Switch because the Switch is convenient to use over every other modern console.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Before the pandemic when I was commuting a couple of times a week or having to travel over night for business I absolutely loved the portability of the Switch. Now though I'd rather be playing the XSX, PS5 or PC due greater performance.

I'll still play the odd exclusive on Switch but the last one ai tried was Age Of Calamity and the performance of it killed any fun I was having with it.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing games on the toilet is fun yeah but other than that all the downsides of the Switch make it my last choice.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Portability is always the key hardware factor over everything else for me. Couldnt care less about frame rates and draw distances and graphics and whatever in comparison. Best version is the one I can play in bed, throw in my bag, play on the train or stick headphones on and play on the sofa while my wife watches something else next to me.

Wtfpigeons

Aug 6, 2020
Depends on the games, game pass and ssd on Xbox series x and ps5 are really appealing right now. Too early to say yet Because they're both new and shiny to me but the quick resume and fast loading on series X makes it so Easy now to start a game. I use to buy everything in switch and I'll still buy a lot of exclusives next year on it. Being able to watch tv series while playing is nice, but some games like borderlands Are taking way too much of a hit.