• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've only ever completed 2 JRPGs.
FFXV
DQXI (soon).

I wasnt the biggest fan of FFXV, but I loved DQXI.

I think turn based battles can be super tedious, so I loved the auto battles in dragon quest. The story and characters were fun to.

Where do I go next JRPG fans?

I have ps4, xbox, switch, and pc.

Last edited:

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The Final Fantasy XII remaster is outstanding, I recommend it without reservations. Turned the game from one I barely remembered to one of my favorites in the series. Great cast, great story, brilliant battle system, unique world...

The fast forward option for battles is like DQXI's on steroids in terms of speed and tweakability.

I played it on Switch fwiw, looked and ran beautifully.

Also, no turn based battles.

Some other games I'd recommend:
- Chrono Trigger if you wanna go old-school
- Final Fantasy 9 for the best FF
- Xenoblade 2 if you're into anime. No turn based battles either.
- Persona 4. 5 is a bit of a harder recommendation for me.
- Earthbound but you might have a hard time with the tb battle system.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
FFXV
DQXI (soon).

I think turn based battles can super tedious, so I loved the auto battles in dragon quest. The story was and characters were fun to.

This is a thread I am interested in. Basically my same situation.

Except I finished it last year and hav been looking for something that provides the same sort of gameplay experience.

Persona 5 has been the closest but I keep losing interest for some reason even though when I do get into I largely enjoy it. IThough I don't particularly care for the timed element. I like to just grind and explore sometimes and I feel pressured not to in Persona.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
5 royal is the remaster?
What's 5s?
Persona 5: The Royal is a new version that's remastered which adds content and a new character to the game. This comes out fairly soon which I believe is March 31 according to Google. It's already on the PSN store so you can look at it, it's so fucking good.

Persona 5 Scramble is more like a Warriors-esque game in the same universe which I believe is after the main events of what happen in Persona 5. Think Fire Emblem Warriors, Hyrule Warriors etc.

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
5 royal is the remaster?
What's 5s?
Scramble. It's an action RPG like Kingdom Hearts but with combat akin to Dynasty Warriors. Let me make it clear though, it's NOT a Dynasty Warriors clone. The combat is actually tight and it's not just mashing attack for 15 minutes straight. You actually need to think about your moves. I've been playing it and it might be the best thing W-force released in years.

But yeah, I came in here to recommend Persona 5 so I'm glad people already mentioned it. One of my favorite games ever.You can wait for Royal but you can also find the normal one for like $10. Both great options.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PC, XBOX, PS4, SWITCH

Here's my list of recommendations.

Chrono Trigger on Steam, UnderHero and Steamworld Quest on Switch if you want something short and breezy.

Tales of Vesperia, Final Fantasy 7/8/9 on any of those platforms if you want something that'll last you dozens of hours.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 or Persona 5 R are your best bet if you want modern titles.

FF9, FF10, KH collection are all good choices if you want to jump into older titles.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Scramble. It's an action RPG like Kingdom Hearts but with combat akin to Dynasty Warriors. Let me make it clear though, it's NOT a Dynasty Warriors clone. The combat is actually tight and it's not just mashing attack for 15 minutes straight. You actually need to think about your moves. I've been playing it and it might be the best thing W-force released in years.
I don't mean to be antagonistic or derail the thread, I haven't played a DW in years nor one of their themed games like Hyrule or FE, but I just wanna say I hear this exact argument made about every single game they make lol.

I'm very tempted by P5S though because I loved the cast and story. Low expectations gameplay wise tho.

OP, play FFXII

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
FFXV
DQXI (soon).

I think turn based battles can super tedious, so I loved the auto battles in dragon quest. The story was and characters were fun to.

Trails of cold steel series is pretty good as well as FE mirage sessions

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
If you want one that's not too long Chrono Trigger.

If you want more action CrossCode.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
PC, XBOX, PS4, SWITCH
I'm taking into account you like your turn based with fast forward or you kinda want something more action-y

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (has fast-forward and a way to program your own actions)
Alliance Alive HD (4x fast forward, great old school feeling)
Yakuza 0 is more of an action-RPG but totally worth doing
Ys Origin if you want something more action and shorter. Ys VIII is even better but considerably more action and longer
Resonance of Fate HD/4K (it's gun-fu action in a turn-based system so pretty dynamic)

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Chrono Trigger

Trails in the Sky trilogy

FF9

Persona 5 Royal

Xenoblade 1 remaster whenever that comes out

Octopath Traveler

Lunar 1 and 2 on a ps1 emulator

Dragon Quest 5, 7, and 8

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Get Chrono trigger on steam right now especially if you liked DQXI, Toriyama and Horii's best work imo. DQVII also has a steam version I believe and I quite liked that. Star Ocean is really good, first departure R is on PS4 and Switch.

Keep your eye out for Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive editions release date, that's gonna be a must have Switch RPG.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
If you are looking for turn based system
Definitely try to pick up FFX.. and like the rest look forward to Persona 5R
If you are looking for action Rpg try Nier Automata and FFXII

Goodbye

Oct 27, 2017
Octopath Traveler for Switch. It's not as cohesive as DQXI story wise, but I really liked it. Amazing soundtrack and fun battle system.

The Final Fantasy ports that are available are also great recommendations.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
PC, XBOX, PS4, SWITCH

If you don't mind political-heavy story, I strongly recommend FFXII on Switch or Xbox (as those versions allow you to change characters jobs anytime).

The story is not touching or dramatic at all, but the gameplay is insane with some of the best and most challenging battles ever in a video game, you will be pushed to your extreme limits especially if you decided to take on the hunts. it is a very solid game and the best playing Final Fantasy.

If you want something similar to DQ in terms of dreamy atmosphere/fantasy with a heartfelt story and good turn-based battles, then go for Final Fantasy IX (don't worry about it being old, the game's production value is way ahead of its time and the game is still charming and amazing today).

OP
OP
MAX PAYMENT

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Persona 5: The Royal is a new version that's remastered which adds content and a new character to the game. This comes out fairly soon which I believe is March 31 according to Google. It's already on the PSN store so you can look at it, it's so fucking good.

Persona 5 Scramble is more like a Warriors-esque game in the same universe which I believe is after the main events of what happen in Persona 5. Think Fire Emblem Warriors, Hyrule Warriors etc.
Thank you for the quick explanation.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Final Fantasy 12
The battles being automated (to a large degree) is the point if the battle system.
It has a big world, great music, lots of extra content, and is one of the best FF games.
It has the Zodiac Age remaster out on consoles which makes the job system even more fun.
Highly recommended!

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5: Royal comes out on March 31st if you're looking for something brand new and 3D.

On PC, I'd say the Trails in the Sky trilogy. It has some of the same qualities as DQ XI. Charming cast, great music, interesting story, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition whenever that drops.

Chrono Trigger on PC is fine these days as well and it's one of the best ones ever made.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Atelier Ryza's a pretty solid, low stakes adventure. About 6 hours into it myself and having a lot of fun. It's also ATB, not turn-based.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
FFXII is fantastic game. You may like Octopath Traveler but stories are so disjointed so I wouldn't recommend if that's your focus.

Also play Chrono Trigger. Every jRPG fan needs to play this masterpiece.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I consider Dragon Quest XI, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and Persona 5 to be the holy trifecta of current gen JRPGs.

So if you loved one, I wholeheartedly recommend the others.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Ni No Kuni, the first one. Very old school in structure like Dragon Quest XI.

Battle system is hybrid turn based and action + collecting monsters.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Trails of cold Steel, the third game is releasing soon on Steam (this month) Tales of Berseria is pretty solid as well.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Persona 5 is absolutely excellent. It's a bit different though and requires some adjusting. The game operates via a calendar schedule, where you progress the story via spending time through activities, missions, and other objectives. Certain events happen on certain dates, and you must complete certain objectives before other dates. It's a mish-mash between a traditional JRPG experience, a visual novel, a dungeon crawler, and a pokemon simulator, and it works beautifully.

Best of all, the story and characters are top notch. It has just the right amount of anime weeb factor without veering into cringe territory (although there are some creep moments involving a volleyball teacher early on). Voice acting is superb, and I found the entire 120 hours of it to be engaging from beginning to end. I bought this game for my wife, but ended up playing it on my own and had a great time.