• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Let me explain. Normally I go all in purchasing wall border, themes, new chair socks, last year I bought a rug, new computers/tablets/tablet cases, paper, pencils, awards, welcome back banners, study books, playground supplies, snacks, best-selling high interest reads, etc.

However, not only am I not sure if I'll have a physical classroom, but if I do, I might not need any of these things.

Are there other things I might need to do or buy that I haven't thought of?

Thanks.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is something best asked to your peers and not here. They would probably have a better grasp on things.

OP
OP
Speevy

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like this is something best asked to your peers and not here. They would probably have a better grasp on things.

You'd think so but then you get tangled up in conversations like "Are you doing the online thing? I can't do the online thing. Will you do the online thing if they ask us so I can teach my class?"

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like you're incredibly dedicated if you're willing to buy all that stuff, so props to you OP

I think it wouldn't hurt to wait till last minute on this stuff, even if you feel rushed, things can change in an instant

Nov 5, 2017
If you don't have to go back to campus, invest in a good webcam and audio set up so that your students can hear and see you clearly.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Let me explain. Normally I go all in purchasing wall border, themes, new chair socks, last year I bought a rug, new computers/tablets/tablet cases, paper, pencils, awards, welcome back banners, study books, playground supplies, snacks, best-selling high interest reads, etc.

However, not only am I not sure if I'll have a physical classroom, but if I do, I might not need any of these things.

Thanks.
Probably best to hold off for now then. No point spending money on stuff yet if you don't even know if you have a classroom yet.

You already have a list of stuff to get if you do have a classroom, but if you don't have one, maybe get some props to help you teach on video?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I will be keeping my son home for virtual classes here in Florida. I just think this is a ticking time-bomb in the current outbreak landscape.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
If you don't have to go back to campus, invest in a good webcam and audio set up so that your students can hear and see you clearly.
Also a good chair if you can't take the one from work (if you have to work from home). I know that it isn't what he's asking, though.

I would also think most of the supplies are going to go on deeper discount nearer to school reopening (if it does) so I wouldn't buy now either way.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
I know this is super morbid, but my district is actually providing Employee Assistance to create a living will before the school year starts. I took advantage of it just to be on the safe side. Look into it to see if your district is doing the same.

Shrikey

Oct 27, 2017
As a European teacher, and a union rep, I just can't wrap my head around this thing where American teachers buy stuff out of pocket. I might have gone out of pocket for some little prize at an end of year competition, or some ice cream or whatever. But actual classroom supplies? What the hell? I've seen a bunch if comments online regarding how to deal with purchases this fall. I guess once that kind of a thing becomes expected it's hard not to, but that's a real sad state of affairs.

Can't you buy stuff you'd use next year if it doesn't get used this year?

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting until my district actually puts their plan out before doing anything at this point. I have no idea what this will look like.

OP
OP
Speevy

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I bought a webcam on Amazon back in March and it took almost two months for it to arrive. It's probably a pretty mediocre one but that was what they had at the time.

I'm still pretty awful at teaching online and I hate adults staring at me while I'm teaching, so I'm hoping this year is the only year we have to do this.

spidye

Oct 28, 2017

Thanks.
I don't want to sound like an ass but aren't there any guidelines for what you need or should buy?
Those should be definitely more helpful than asking a forum, I think

OP
OP
Speevy

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
As a European teacher, and a union rep, I just can't wrap my head around this thing where American teachers buy stuff out of pocket. I might have gone out of pocket for some little prize at an end of year competition, or some ice cream or whatever. But actual classroom supplies? What the hell? I've seen a bunch if comments online regarding how to deal with purchases this fall. I guess once that kind of a thing becomes expected it's hard not to, but that's a real sad state of affairs.

Teachers get a small bit of money where I live (like $300) for supplies around the mid point of the year.

Teaching is the largest profession in the United States, it pays very little, and it's a professional job that just about anyone can get and keep with very little trouble.

Some schools do have more funds for books, supplies, etc. But it's entirely up to the luck of where you land a teaching job. School districts also have the discretion to move you to any school they want to depending on demand.

OP
OP
Speevy

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I don't want to sound like an ass but aren't there any guidelines for what you need or should buy?

You don't sound like an ass but no. No one has ever told a teacher anywhere *what* to buy. You just buy it because it's needed or you do without it.

Some teachers are incredibly frugal and buy almost nothing. I envy their resourcefulness. Making things, making relationships with parents to get their stuff, etc.

Shrikey

Oct 27, 2017
Teachers get a small bit of money where I live (like $300) for supplies around the mid point of the year.

Teaching is the largest profession in the United States, it pays very little, and it's a professional job that just about anyone can get and keep with very little trouble.

Some schools do have more funds for books, supplies, etc. But it's entirely up to the luck of where you land a teaching job. School districts also have the discretion to move you to any school they want to depending on demand.

okay, so if you get some funds and can use at your discretion then it's not quite as crazy as I thought.

That said, if that's the situation, I'd hold off on purchases until you know if you're doing online teaching or not. If you are, invest in a decent bluetooth/wireless headset with a half decent mic if you haven't got some already. When we did distance over here I saw so many teachers fuck up their backs because they were tethered with headsets, but tried to write on whiteboards/show props etc. getting the opportunity to move freely in frame while keeping good audio was hugely helpful for me when it came to feeling natural while teaching.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017

I got my degree in education and this was part of my college course for classroom management. Make sure you have enough materials for all the students, especially students at poor schools, where you might have to provide them all the folders, paper, and writing instruments they may need. It is even costlier for younger grades. Districts will refund you some out of pocket expenses, but that is all tied to their budget. I know my local district would give a teacher up to 300 dollars as of a couple years ago, but I believe now it is closer to 250 dollars. Some districts don't even have the money to do that. It really is a sad state of affairs and one of the reasons why so many teachers have to hold down second and third jobs just to make ends meet. We want to provide so much for our students that we will go poor just so they can excel. Also because in a state like Florida your yearly contract renewal is directly tied into how well the students perform, so in a way you are shelling out your own money so you can keep your job.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
A good webcam if you are going to be distance teaching. I'd recommend the Logitech C930e or Brio. Also try to lock one down soon because it takes WEEKS to get them (like 6-10 weeks).

OP
OP
Speevy

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
My current computer, which I use for lesson plans light gaming is getting on in years.

Although I have a school laptop, I never take it with me. I might invest in my own before too long.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My wife is a teacher in FL OP.

She is preparing to return to campus. But she's only getting minimum items for the students. The schools are bound to close right after opening in Aug.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I had to buy an external hard drive so that I could save recordings of one-on-one meetings with students for posterity. Good for saving lectures as well. More storage is just good in general if you're going to be online. We haven't gotten word yet, but I'll be buying a webcam and mic if they don't force us back to campus.

Most other stuff that's useful in this situation (like licenses to online supplemental instruction programs) isn't really covered by most district assistance programs, which is a huge problem that will have to be reckoned with if we stay online. I still really don't know what kind of resources are worth accumulating in the current environment.

If we do end up back in the building, the only thing I'll be buying is a mountain of hand sanitizer so that I can keep myself alive for the three weeks before people start dying and it all shuts down again.

Oct 25, 2017
You'd think so but then you get tangled up in conversations like "Are you doing the online thing? I can't do the online thing. Will you do the online thing if they ask us so I can teach my class?"

Assuming your in the US, the union reps have nothing to offer? I'd be shocked if they weren't in contact with administrators this close to opening

Jan 29, 2018

My wife is a teacher and the guidance they are getting from state and local government as well as school administration is effectively "good luck".

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Probably best to wait until you know for sure what's going to be happening in your district in the fall, but these were the first things I thought of as someone who's not a teacher. :P
  • What are supplies that students will still need while working at home that they might not be able to get? Is it possible to get low cost bundles for students (or maybe the most at need students) with pencils, notebooks, and other supplies?
  • Can you think of at-home processes or activities to replace some of the ones you normally invest in? For example, a way to circulate books that would otherwise be in the classroom library? Would your students have access to e-book readers or audio books?

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
In what scenario does the teacher have to buy computers for the class?

Oct 25, 2017
My wife is a K teacher and is stocking up on things kids can do alone. She got sets of art stuff, play doh, etc etc for each kid from the dollar store so they can do stuff in their allocated space.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I got my degree in education and this was part of my college course for classroom management. Make sure you have enough materials for all the students, especially students at poor schools, where you might have to provide them all the folders, paper, and writing instruments they may need. It is even costlier for younger grades. Districts will refund you some out of pocket expenses, but that is all tied to their budget. I know my local district would give a teacher up to 300 dollars as of a couple years ago, but I believe now it is closer to 250 dollars. Some districts don't even have the money to do that. It really is a sad state of affairs and one of the reasons why so many teachers have to hold down second and third jobs just to make ends meet. We want to provide so much for our students that we will go poor just so they can excel. Also because in a state like Florida your yearly contract renewal is directly tied into how well the students perform, so in a way you are shelling out your own money so you can keep your job.

I didn't know that in Florida they tie your contract to how well your students perform. That seems ridiculous unless they just do insane calculations on student trajectories and the like. Also I would think the best teachers would tend to migrate towards the (already) best schools if nothing else than for job security, because it is entirely possible to be a great teacher and have your kids underperform for a year.

On a side note, the other sad part of this state of affairs is if you have a teacher who either can't afford to shell out their own money or don't care to, then the students suffer.

Shrikey

Oct 27, 2017

That's bleak...

Hell, I think teaching over here is hard, but at least we don't have to worry about supplies. Nor work a second job, or worry about yearly contract renewals.

I'm trying to say this with admiration and empathy, in case that isn't clear. I know how us Scandinavian public sector workers can come across. I was close to burning out mid May this year. But at least I knew my job was safe. Wouldn't have handled it otherwise.

Hope you guys make it out all right. As far as we know over here, high schoolers are all coming back from online teaching in August, so I'll have a full classroom again. I might just prefer that to working distance classes, but I suspect the risk of the city backpedaling is fairly high.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
Speevy, aren't you based out of Georgia? With their numbers, I would be cautious and get the bare amount to last a month with the assumption the state closes down but we're in a crazy timeline and you can't trust Kemp to do the right thing.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
s-l300.jpg

Markew

Oct 27, 2017
Florida teacher here. District is all in on being back in August! My classes are generally 34+ per period. Good luck fellow teachers!

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
A face shield is a must rather than a mask. Some children need to read lips. Maybe in disinfectant spray, possible supplied by custodial staff or from a store.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Don't buy anything that is shareable or reusable. Awards-gone, snacks-gone, chair legs- gone

basically everything on your list you shouldn't provide this year. Kids should have their own sealed supplied and shouldn't be sharing or taking "community" supplies... especially if you, as the teacher will be holding them. You're the one most likely to be impacted by going back, don't invite it more by managing shared things... in my district all the shareable things are gone this year

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suppose because we have a dumbass as a president, better to get things that you would need if you wanted to keep kids safe and create a good environment for them.

Like a motion dispenser for hand sanitizer if you had the budget next to the door, make it a rule that every time that you enter the classroom to put a little hand sanitizer on.

Masks for those that don't have it, get easily removable tape so you can put lanes on the ground so kids can keep their distance from one another.

Leave the door open so nobody has to touch the door knob.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
As a Florida teacher in which the only info is "some of you will be traditional, some will be virtual, (an unfortunate few will be both) we're going to wait until the last minute before finalizing anything", I'm not buying a goddamned thing in advance.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
On a side note, how does liability work in a classroom? I assume the teacher is protected in case, say, they found proof that a kid was infected by you. But what happens if it's traced to an award or something you brought from home?