• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like Persona 4. Primarily because:

1) I disliked the JPop esque music
2) I despise the village setting
3) The presentation didn't sit with me, characters looked off with huge heads and paper thin bodies. Almost chibi like vibe.
4) Despised the dungeons which were just endless corridors palette swapped (Atleast this is still more than what I can say about Persona 3's dungeon which is the same from start to finish)

Persona 5 on the other hand, is my favourite game of all time. I LOVE the presentation of that game, it's the most stylish game I've ever played. Plus the acid jazz music is just amazing ! Just listen to these, I can't even decide which one to post because there are so many good ones:

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I dunno, I prefer P5 over 4.

It might be a game you end up liking because it has things in it you probably would like based on your preference for Trails of Cold Steel and TMS. You really need to approach the in-game calendar with an open mind, however, because that will be the biggest deterrent.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if you hated P4, you will hate P5 with a passion. Too much padding. Dungeons, while not being randomly generated, are too long for their own good, and many times, boring. And unlike P4, the party isn't interesting nor memorable.

Is the game really a 100 hours or is that just people exaggerating ? I started playing it again after I dropped it for some personal reasons last year, I'm now 20 hours in and want to try and finish it before the end of the year. Is that possible ?
Yes, it is quite long. Think mine was like 80 or 90 hours. I blame Mementos though; locking confidants behind that.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, if you hated P4, you will hate P5 with a passion. Too much padding. Dungeons, while not being randomly generated, are too long for their own good, and many times, boring. And unlike P4, the party isn't interesting nor memorable.

Yes, it is quite long. Think mine was like 80 or 90 hours. I blame Mementos though; locking confidants behind that.

Guess it's time to hunker down then haha, I regret not finishing persona 4 so I'm determined to do this one.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
From your description, give P5 a hard pass. It also doesn't help that the game is overly bloated being a 90-100 hour game that needed about 30 hours cut (or a far better final quarter of the game to make it not feel dragged out) ....

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
The romance options are much better in P5, the dungeons are on a complete different level than p4, and I liked the music more, just a tiny bit.

Think I loved the cast of 4 more, but I put 100 hours into P5 and it is well worth playing

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the best games ever made and the best RPG ever. That said, it's fundamentally built on a time management gameplay loop, and if that's not something you like, then Persona 5 isn't for you, sadly.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Persona 5 is basically 4 with worse writing and a sprinkle of P3's Tartarus in form of Mementos.

If you hated P4G for anything else than Marie, you should not bother with 5.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
OP if you were lukewarm on P4 but dropped it due to eventual disinterest, you might like P5. if you truly DESPISE P4G, I can't see how you would like P5. P5 is a better looking, more refined (mechanics wise) P4G, basically. The dungeons are no longer randomly generated and are a definite improvement, but they're still long dungeons. The time management is a little easier than P4 but also frankly more annoying (lots of times your forced to go to bed instead of accomplish something else you want to do).

Is the game really a 100 hours or is that just people exaggerating ? I started playing it again after I dropped it for some personal reasons last year, I'm now 20 hours in and want to try and finish it before the end of the year. Is that possible ?
I finished it at 105 hours. It's certainly POSSIBLE to finish faster but unless you FLY through the game (mash through cutscenes, skip lots of social links and stuff) you're gonna be at 90+ hours.

Shiranui93

One Winged Slayer
Mar 7, 2018
If you don't even like Persona 4, you'll probably won't like 5 either as 4 is the better game imo. The Trails of Cold Steel series are the better Persona-style games anyway.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
The average seems to be 96 hours:
https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=15221

P3 took me 77 hours, P4 was 88 (no idea why I still remember that) and P5 took me around 120 hours I think.
Those last couple of dungeons dragged on forever.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I'm looking to pick up another PS4 one day (wanted a Pro, sold my Amateur) so I have a very short list of PS4 exclusive games I want to play, and Persona 5 is one of them. Based on the following, would I like this game?

-I despised Persona 4 Golden and dropped it after 10 hours. Never played Persona 3 or earlier
-I LOVED Tokyo Mirage Sessions, especially the audiovisual presentation.
-I did not enjoy Tokyo Xanadu and dropped it (mostly because it wasn't turn-based and I don't like dungeons)
-I LOVE Trails of Cold Steel
-I'm one of the few people that played, finished and LIKED the original first Neptunia game for PS3. Ditto on Time & Eternity!
-I hate games with any sort of time limit/limited time to perform functions (like Atelier games, which I keep trying and never liking)

So yeah. What are the chances?
You are not jaded.

You'll like Persona 5.

I finished it at 84 hours flat.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
I, apparently, don't like JRPGs and Persona 5 taught me that, so I guess I owe some kind of thanks to the game.

Aja91

Dec 24, 2017
Don't get it. Just wait for the next SMT game to come out. P5 is amazing to people who's first Persona/SMT/JRPG that isn't accessible. If you like JRPGs and played a lot of them you'd see the game's fault and you might end up resenting how much time you spent on it to see it through.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
This is entirely subjective, but then so are assessments regarding length/overall engagement with the dungeons. Though I could largely go either way with those two parties, if I had to choose, I'd go with P5's minus one specific spoiler character (Joker has been the most successful attempt at injecting an Atlus silent protagonist with personality, though I admit to not understanding Makoto fans any more than Chie fans).
Don't get it. Just wait for the next SMT game to come out. P5 is amazing to people who's first Persona/SMT/JRPG that isn't accessible. If you like JRPGs and played a lot of them you'd see the game's fault and you might end up resenting how much time you spent on it to see it through.
Mainline SMT doesn't seem like it would be of interest to OP based on the games listed (V will probably go back to the minimalist story/generally flat characters associated with it, rather than doing more of what IV:A tried).

Last edited:

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 2 is what you want, not persona

Just a warning though, the story doesn't start picking up until end of chapter 3

Deleted member 3925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always want a give games a chance.

I didn't like Persona 4's endless red-carpet castle dungeons, the time-forced social management and general presentation (slow, blurry graphics/motion blur).

P5's dungeons are handcrafted and I enjoyed them a lot more (though there's still a procedurally generated dungeon with Mementos). The social management is still a huge part of the game, but it's not stressful. You can't do everything, so just focus on what you want and don't worry about it.

Presentation is significantly better imo. P5 is the most stylish game I've ever played.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
-I'm one of the few people that played, finished and LIKED the original first Neptunia game for PS3. Ditto on Time & Eternity!

Well isn't like P5 has a big hurdle to clear then. The same faults people point out in P5 existed in the other persona games, so take those complaints with a grain of salt.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
People who dislike P5 will tell you to not get it like they always do in these threads. I say get it. With all it's flaws it's the best JRPG this gen.

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 is a game that has a super strong start, the first story arc is almost TOO GOOD, but after that(like 15-20 hours in) I feel like it just drops and drags till the very end.

I still love it, but Dragon Quest XI is way better and the game I'd recommend if someone wants a long ass-JRPG.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Im gonna echo the "if you hated P4, don't play this game" sentiment.

Modern persona games are basically made from the same mold (mind you, i like this mold) so if you hated 4 you will very likely hate 5.

Oct 27, 2017
Soooooo...since we have some Persona peeps in here I have a quick question:

Should I play P4G or P5 first? I've never played a Persona game, but i'm ready to give one of them a shot.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
This is entirely subjective, but then so are assessments regarding length/overall engagement with the dungeons. Though I could largely go either way with those two parties, if I had to choose, I'd go with P5's minus one specific spoiler character (Joker has been the most successful attempt at injecting an Atlus silent protagonist with personality, though I admit to not understanding Makoto fans any more than Chie fans).
From P4, the only party members I don't like are Hanamura and Teddie. Otherwise, the rest of the characters are great.

As for P5, only ones I find interesting are Joker, Makoto and Futaba. The cat is annoying. Ryuuji, while cool, doesn't stand out too much. Ann, boring. Yosuke, boring too. Haru could have been interesting but she joins too late. And you-know-who... better don't mention that character.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Soooooo...since we have some Persona peeps in here I have a quick question:

Should I play P4G or P5 first? I've never played a Persona game, but i'm ready to give one of them a shot.
The gameplay and dungeon design improvements in P5, along with the better graphics, will probably make going back to P4G harder, so I'd say that then P5. The stories are standalone, so no need to worry about missing anything other than minor nods to previous games if you go with P5 first instead.
From P4, the only party members I don't like are Hanamura and Teddie. Otherwise, the rest of the characters are great.

As for P5, only ones I find interesting are Joker, Makoto and Futaba. The cat is annoying. Ryuuji, while cool, doesn't stand out too much. Ann, boring. Yosuke, boring too. Haru could have been interesting but she joins too late. And you-know-who... better don't mention that character.
Personally, Makoto was the only one of them I didn't find particularly interesting, and couldn't have been more boring to me (I'm also a bit more harsh as a result of her not living up to the hype surrounding her). Morgana could get annoying, but I was ultimately okay with him. Ryuji was an improvement over previous "bro" characters. I quite liked Yusuke's eccentricity. I liked Ann, even if there was a lack of focus and some questionable decisions in handling her. Haru and Futaba were my overall favorites, even with the former definitely needing more screentime.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like P4 due to the random dungeon design, but I really dig P5 thus far. Some of the style choices are out of this world, and the core gameplay loop is really satisfying to me. Ambush enemies, exploit weaknesses, All Out Attack, rinse and repeat. I don't remember much about P4 at this point, but I do also appreciate the pacing in P5. Some might say it's slow, but I dig the speed at which it doles out tutorials.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You won't like this game.

I'm coincidentally going through P5 for the first time, and I bought it without knowing about the whole time management garbage. I essentially got it solely based on how people keep nebulously hyping it up. Oh well, it was only $20. I enjoy aspects of it but overall it doesn't have the kind of structure I'm interested in. I also didn't like Valkyrie Profile back in the day for a similar reason. Still uh plodding through it, beat the first palace. Enjoying it with reservations.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona

I didn't like Persona 4's endless red-carpet castle dungeons, the time-forced social management and general presentation (slow, blurry graphics/motion blur).
-The dungeons in p5 are not randomly generated, so they look better and feel like a proper place.
-The Social Management is the same, even worse considering that the game decides to limit your activities more often than P4.
-The presentation is better, the game looks crisp on the Ps4 even if some textures or models look kind of bad. The hideous motion blur from P4 is gone.

Edit: I think that P4 is really better than P5, P5 felt too safe to me (another Persona game with nothing really new), and the pacing is really bad. Even so, it's the best JRPG from last year and one of the best JRPGs from the last 10 years IMO.

OP
OP
tommyv2

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017

Have you played Fairy Fencer F Advent Dark Force?
I enjoyed that more than persona 5

Yes, played it, really liked it.

Also played and loved every Star Ocean, and will give Resonance of Fate another shot on PC since I found it a touch difficult at times and at least you can cheat on PC.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Knowing that you love Cold Steel, a game that has a really slow pacing and lots of crazy exposition, I think that you'll be fine with the pacing in P5.

Mind you that instead of good lore and world building, most of the text in the game is repeating something that you already know, but the strong moments in P5 are far stronger than in Cold Steel.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017

-Dungeons are more interesting in concept, but typically end up having very simple puzzle elements you solve from a mile away, require you to stop at a certain point for arbitrary reasons, and tend to go on too long.
-Time focused social management is still there in full force (And in my opinion, it's even more constrained than it was in past games).
-General presentation has some beautiful elements, but if you're looking for something super sharp with impressive graphics, this is absolutely not going to do it for you. Feels like a step up from P4, but little more beyond some artistic menu elements.

I feel like P5 is a pretty mediocre game (P4 was one of my favorites). I wanted to love it, but it's too slow, too long, too rigid, and too predictable. If you're looking for something to turn you around on JRPGs, this is not going to be it.

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
I would recommend other RPGs instead of P5, especially if you're jaded with the genre.
P5 is great and you will possibly like since you liked TMS, but it's way too long.

If you need a different RPG that's turn-based, try Utawarerumono. The bundle is on sale.
If you liked Neptunia, Fairy Fencer F is from the same makers and it's a much better game than the first Neptunia. Fun story too.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Ehh.. give it a chance OP. You may like it
And you should be able to find it for like $25 - $30 now.

Plus it has the best ost of the gen..

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Persona 4 has better characters, story, and pacing. Its dungeons are tedious.

Persona 5 has better dungeons, and artstyle, but the pacing is horrendous, characters lack chemistry, and the story isnt great after the first dungeon.

If you want to play 100 hours of this(could have cut about 40 to 50 hours off and it would have been better for it), because yes its that long, then go for it. i hated it personally, but there is several other people who loved it.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Not an exaggeration. I think a pretty typical play through can easily fall within that range. It doesn't have content to carry it that full distance... but it keeps going anyway.
Yep. The only way to make the game shorter (aside from skipping cutscenes) is ignoring all the social aspects and side activities, but then you'll miss really good combat bonuses and the good ending.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
1. Persona 4 Golden is the best persona game.
2. Play Dragon Quest XI instead of P5
3. Avoid P5 at all costs