• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
It's not being hyped up any more than any other impressive indie title, this is just silly.

The game clearly looks non-AAA but looks like a great, fun game all the same.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
I'm not expecting a photography element at all of course, and maybe no vehicular aspects (although who knows). But In terms of the core ground based gameplay i am expecting worlds of that kind of size to explore. It's also a heavily stylised, cartoony, female lead action adventure title where your primary melee combat option is a staff (which frankly was only serviceable in BG&E to begin with). I dunno, it just reminding me a lot of BG&E back when BG&E actually had a nice art style *scowls at BG&E2* Not in the sense that I expect a 1:1 clone if it though.
That's fair (thanks for answering :)).
And I didn't even realize the similarity with the staff, good point!

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Are we sure about that? What makes Kena stand out is for a similar reason Cuphead stood out. It had a visual and animation flair that simply was above and beyond what you typically see even in AAA games. Visually it looked really good and people are hoping for a fulfilling experience to match those visuals.

And...at this point we have some idea what a typical gamer who is ok spending $60 on a game is going to want at a bare minimum.

When Cuphead was being discussed it wasn't surprising at all that too many people frequently pushed back against the devs original limited scope of having only boss rushes. They wanted the game to be big enough to support platforming levels at the bare minimum.

I'm comfortable saying that at the bare minimum most gamers want Kena to be an 8-10 hour gameplay experience even though that should really be beyond what a brand new studio with staff that gained experience in producing graphics for movies and tv instead of making videogames. That experience is why Kena looks so good visually but their inexperience as game designers isn't something the average person interested in this game will care about when setting their own internal expectations until the game is released.
I don't think it is a good comparison.
The complained about Cuphead wasn't about the scope but the genre. Boss rush is very niche and people wants it to be a platformer. Add to the fact it is a difficult game.

Here, we know Kena take it's inspiration from old Zelda 3D games.
And I don't think Kena is supposed to be a $60 title.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
If we did a most anticipated game of 2021 poll, I highly doubt this would crack the top ten.

So I dunno where this whole "Kena is getting hyped through the roof" is coming from.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping for something good, but I'm definitely not putting it in the same level as Horizon, Ratchet, or GOW.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
If we did a most anticipated game of 2021 poll, I highly doubt this would crack the top ten.

So I dunno where this whole "Kena is getting hyped through the roof" is coming from.

We had a poll back in November when next-gen hype was at full force. Kena is currently in 24th place with 20 glorious votes!!1!!! 🔥

e8DpEbj.gif

Raigor

May 14, 2020
0 interest so far.

I want to see actual and unscripted gameplay to be "interested" and hyped, not being a $60 full priced game is not an issue as long as the game is good and fun to play, graphics with mediocre gameplay ain't going to work for me.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Do you have a source that everything in the reveal trailer was prerendered? Looked to me like there was gameplay mixed in.

Oh no no, it wasn't all prerendered, there was clearly gameplay in the mix, but a lot of those who found the game extremely impressive then proceeded to post grabs of the prerendered parts as proof.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Kena bridges of spirits marketing team after making this thread to see the hype for the game.

tumblr_mmihkn3PkE1spiuxqo1_500.gif

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I loved the look of Kena when it was first revealed. But OP, you have to admit this was a backfire on disastrous proportions. You tried to crap on a smaller game, one that already has a fair share of controversy and drama surrounding it, only for most responses to respond with...

UnlawfulHeartyChanticleer-size_restricted.gif

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Can you at least show something that backs up what you're saying? All we have so far is your words, and now you say it's not even an era thing, but a Twitter thing. What is the point of the thread without any receipts?
OP, show me a post hyping it thur the roof and I'll buy you the game myself.
The game has very little hype, based on what I've seen. I'm on this site constantly, gaming Reddit, etc. and I didn't even know what this game was until I saw this thread.

I can attest to at least myself personally that I've been hyping it up as my game of the year for 2021 since it was first ever shown last summer. Have made dozens of posts on era and Twitter over months referring to it as my most anticipated game and such. I'll also be making the Kena OT and have essentially had it ready for months. While not massive there's a sizeable chunk of PS Era members who are hyped for the game even if not quite to the same level as myself. The hype does very much exist but it's not as wide spread.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I can attest to at least myself personally that I've been hyping it up as my game of the year for 2021 since it was first ever shown last summer. Have made dozens of posts on era and Twitter over months referring to it as my most anticipated game and such. I'll also be making the Kena OT and have essentially had it ready for months. While not massive there's a sizeable chunk of PS Era members who are hyped for the game even if not quite to the same level as myself. The hype does very much exist but it's not as wide spread.

Can I be pointed to fellow Kena stans? ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

It feels like all the hype from that presentation was consumed by a God of War game we have seen absolutely nothing from yet.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting it to be a lively, jolly, 5 hour adventure that will probably score mostly 7s. Definitely not a big hitter.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The posability that the devs are corrupt is surely the most disappointing thing about this game.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Oh no no, it wasn't all prerendered, there was clearly gameplay in the mix, but a lot of those who found the game extremely impressive then proceeded to post grabs of the prerendered parts as proof.
You mean those who are impressed by the art direction proceeded to post the cut-scenes with impressive art direction?

Personally I haven't seen enough to have an opinion yet about the gameplay itself, but the art direction is incredibly impressive in everything that was shown so far, regardless of whether it's from a cut-scene or gameplay footage.

Last edited:

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
There are so many problems in this world and you are worried that a small game from a small indie developer is being too hyped because its not $60 and it can be completed in two days? I dont even...

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
I've never heard of it but thanks to this thread if it doesn't cost me $80 Canadian Dollars and last me until COVID ends...

If it doesn't cost me $269 Canadian Dollars for the ultra-limited deluxe figurine Definitive X S version (incl. all 59 costume packs and 19 quest addons)...

If it doesn't have Uncharted 4-level facial pores, Red Dead Redemption 2-level snow footprints, a 900-hour postgame, fully functional co-op and competitive modes, New Game+, New Game++, New Game+++, a huge amount of replayability and customization, 65 meaningful alternate endings, six post-credits scenes, a confirmed sequel, a novelization, six obscure handheld spinoff games that are definitely important to the story, and remappable controls,

I will be so, so disappointed in this game.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
The only expectation I have of this game is that it will look gorgeous, and honetly, that's enough for the price of entry as long as it's not a steaming pile of shit otherwise. If I was a betting man I would put money on it being quite unremarkable in the gameplay department, but I hope I'm surprised.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
You mean those who are impressed by the art direction proceeded to post the cut-scenes with impressive art direction?

Not the art direction, no problem with that obviously. A lot of people seemed to think the cutscenes were what the game looked like and went on to praise the amount of geometry etc.
It's in the old thread.

OP
OP
GrapplingGamer
Mar 6, 2019
I loved the look of Kena when it was first revealed. But OP, you have to admit this was a backfire on disastrous proportions. You tried to crap on a smaller game, one that already has a fair share of controversy and drama surrounding it, only for most responses to respond with...

UnlawfulHeartyChanticleer-size_restricted.gif

haha I didnt try to crap on this game, I was just sharing my observations. I actually expected a response like this, because people tend to get defensive when you don't share the same positive outlook on a game that they are excited about, hardly disastrous though :)

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
haha I didnt try to crap on this game, I was just sharing my observations. I actually expected a response like this, because people tend to get defensive when you don't share the same positive outlook on a game that they are excited about, hardly disastrous though :)

Naw my friend, you dont get to hone in on my response and then peace out.

I have my concerns about the game, as I alluded to in my post about the controversy surrounding it. (Pssst, look into the potential abuses of staff if you want to pluck at a thread with this game.) So I'm not the rabid fanboy you are looking for.

What is clear is that your hot take didn't take off or sink, it just floats there, with most responses being "What is Kena?" Because you made a thread about a game that serves a pretty niche audience, while saying it looks overrated compared to AAA titles.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017

It feels like all the hype from that presentation was consumed by a God of War game we have seen absolutely nothing from yet.

There are quite a few in the PlayStation Community OT
https://www.resetera.com/threads/playstation-studios-ot17-good-vibrations.355570/

One of my good friends Knight is also a huge Kena stan like myself too.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Expect me in the OT whenever it's made.

I plan to post the OT 3 days before the game releases! Just need a confirmed release date.

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
Eh being interested in an upcoming game =/= overhyping it. People are mentioning it with those other games because they were all announced at the same time and they are the most notable PS5 games that we know of.

It's like when people mentioned demons souls, Spider-Man and bugsnax together. I don't think anyone thought bugsnax was going to be as good as demons souls or spiderman, but they were announced at the same time and launched at the same time so they were talked about at the same time

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I actually expected a response like this, because people tend to get defensive when you don't share the same positive outlook on a game that they are excited about, hardly disastrous though :)

But you made this thread because people on Twitter were excited for this game and didn't share your outlook for your console of choice.

At least on Twitter, yes. People constantly list Kena as a reason why PS5 has a better 2021 than Xbox. I feel like Kena is along the lines of the Gunk on XSX, but a lot of people rank it up there with the likes of Horizon Dawn.

So it seems like this thread came from being defensive too.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia

I'm hyped too, Queen. I'm hyped too. And I'm counting you with that OT.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

You can add me to your list! Not that I don't recognize that there's a lot we don't know about the game, of course. It's not like I've pre-ordered it on the basis of one brief trailer. What I did see, however, was enough to sell me on the charm factor and make it one of my top games to watch for more information.

For my gaming dollar, it already beats the heck out of the endless parade of interchangeable zombie shooting festivals that were unveiled at TGA last year. Give me something with a little heart any day. I get enough bleak, mindless carnage just trying to keep up with the news cycle at the moment.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was the coolest game in that particular showcase, so I'm pretty excited for it. I just hope it's good and runs well on PS4. If it's disappointing, oh well.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you even worried if it'll disappoint people who will buy it. People are allowed to have different tastes than yours ya know. You think the gameplay looks "a bit average" and it's a 30fps crossgen game (ok? Lol), and the animation looks choppy...You must've seen the final build to reach these conclusions.