• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
I never expected this to be a $60 epic? The game being like $30 and 6-8 hours long is perfect and probably within the scope of the small team and I believe the game is still gonna be amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
You're seeing what you want to see. Barely anyone is hyping this through the roof. Folks are just excited for new games. People know this is an indie game and aren't expecting a massive AAA title. It's more likely you're the one who hasn't kept their expectations in check, or you don't get why some are interested in something you're not.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Price point is irrelevant when it comes to quality. It's only meaningful when discussing scale and budget.

That said I do think the brakes should be pumped just a bit until there's proper gameplay impressions. The visuals and art style are spectacular but there's plenty of examples of games that look great but are dull as hell to play. Hopefully Kena is the full package.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, obviously it wasn't gonna cost $60, what are you talking about...we know it's a small game

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'm excited and looking forward to the game but I also know in the end it's an indie title and probably won't be a very long experience.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
At least on Twitter, yes. People constantly list Kena as a reason why PS5 has a better 2021 than Xbox. I feel like Kena is along the lines of the Gunk on XSX, but a lot of people rank it up there with the likes of Horizon Dawn.

That doesn't mean they think it's a AAA game, this is ridiculous.

You can be excited for an indie game

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
It'll be good for what it is based on what I have seen. People who will be disappointed that it's not the next Horizon or whatever AAA title can only blame themselves.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
At least on Twitter, yes. People constantly list Kena as a reason why PS5 has a better 2021 than Xbox. I feel like Kena is along the lines of the Gunk on XSX, but a lot of people rank it up there with the likes of Horizon Dawn.
Can you at least show something that backs up what you're saying? All we have so far is your words, and now you say it's not even an era thing, but a Twitter thing. What is the point of the thread without any receipts?

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
I've seen a lot of people calling it a "Zelda Killer" online. We will see if it lives up to the hype. Every trailer I've seen has been top notch.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I have not seen enough of the game to agree or disagree with you.

Cyberpunk should have thought everyone a lesson by now.

I've seen a lot of people calling it a "Zelda Killer" online. We will see if it lives up to the hype. Every trailer I've seen has been top notch.
Is there more than one trailer of this game?

Stewarto

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I didn't know it was a budget game or shorter in length still excited though.

Seems like it'll be a good one for quick buy/complete/trade in

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
O8Zu6cJ.jpg

[Game Title] Killer. What a classic.

I'm a bit annoyed with the dev team for brushing off their shitty practices. It has honestly affected how I view the game now. It's a shame, because the game does look good.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
I don't see all this "playstation gamers hype" the op is talking about, honestly. It just seems to be an interesting indie game, with great visuals and art design, nobody expects this to be some kind of AAA game or Zelda-tier game lol

It's going to be a small, interesting, indie game and that's just fine. Gamers will be fine too, no need to "worry"

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Probably. I'm sure it'll be a fun game but it is an animation studio that is trying their hand at a game for the first time, so personally I don't have high expectations other than it being gorgeous looking visually. Hope it turns out well though of course.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
with the devs scamming and being terrible to the lead designer and pushing him out before the games release, it's kinda hard to care or be excited for this game.

www.resetera.com

[VGC] The former lead designer of Kena: Bridge of Spirits claims he was ‘maliciously forced out’

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/the-former-lead-designer-of-ps5s-kena-claims-he-was-maliciously-forced-out/
www.thegamer.com

Kena Developer Responds To Accusations From Former Lead Designer

Kena: Bridge of Spirits dev Ember Lab has responded to accusations from the game's former lead designer, stating it "never promised a certain salary."

IANAL, I can't take sides without at least seeing the evidience. These look like an accusation simple to prove or disprove in court.

The company had to counter-claim publicly they have all records to prove he was paid the industry wages and was paid in full. I would certainly take the side of the company if it checks out. And if not, I would take the side of the ex-employee. But if you take side on a legal matter without knowing anything, how do you know you're on the side of the truth?

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
I'm hyped for this game based on their previous short film work and footage released so far. Kena has a lot of potential. If it achieves its potential, I believe it has a chance to be an early GOTY contender.

Length of a game means nothing to me. I was always expecting this to be an indie game, albeit of higher quality and scope.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Always felt like $40 title from the get go.
So I expect it to be in the 10-20 hours range.

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
O8Zu6cJ.jpg

[Game Title] Killer. What a classic.

I'm a bit annoyed with the dev team for brushing off their shitty practices. It has honestly affected how I view the game now. It's a shame, because the game does look good.

For people that thought Zelda going open world was a mistake I could see how it might be a Zelda Killer. The aesthetic is there and let's be honest the gameplay in Zelda games has always been fairly basic. A tight focused light action RPG would be welcome and have been sorely lacking lately.

Oct 30, 2017
It's a small team indie game, people should expect something similar to a B game which isn't so something bad at all.. it might even be something good.

Scoring 70s on MC will be pleasant IMHO.

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
It's a small team indie game, people should expect something similar to a B game which isn't so something bad at all.. it might even be something good.

Scoring 70s on MC will be pleasant IMHO.

An indie game that doesn't rely on pixel art graphics is more than welcome even if it isn't lengthy. Not to be a graphics whore but far too many indies seem very unambitious.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
www.thegamer.com

Kena Developer Responds To Accusations From Former Lead Designer

Kena: Bridge of Spirits dev Ember Lab has responded to accusations from the game's former lead designer, stating it "never promised a certain salary."

IANAL, I can't take sides without at least seeing the evidience. These look like an accusation simple to prove or disprove in court.

The company had to counter-claim publicly they have all records to prove he was paid the industry wages and was paid in full. I would certainly take the side of the company if it checks out. And if not, I would take the side of the ex-employee. But if you take side on a legal matter without knowing anything, how do you know you're on the side of the truth?
Resetera seems very quick to condemn with little evidence in general this being a prime example. Lots of disgruntled ex-employees out there.

Jun 19, 2020
It seems Playtation gamers are hyping this title through the roof and mentioning it along the big hitters like Horizon, Ratchet, GOW of 2021. Am I the only one that thinks it won't review well? While the game looks incredible in cutscenes, looks a bit average in gameplay, it's animation looks choppy in combat and keep in mind it's a 30fps cross gen game, from an brand new Dev and we haven't seen new gameplay for 7 months.

But reading this on IGN from the dev interview made me lower my expectations quite a bit

"The game will not cost a full $60, and Ember Lab says you will be able to comfortably finish its story over a weekend."

I hope I'm wrong but anyone lowering their expectations with everything considered, or do you think Kena will be one of the great PS5 (and PC) exclusives?
Maybe watch the trailer again the animations are damn fine. Whats your point is here with its an crossgen game? The footage was from PS5 and it looks amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
with the devs scamming and being terrible to the lead designer and pushing him out before the games release, it's kinda hard to care or be excited for this game.

www.resetera.com

[VGC] The former lead designer of Kena: Bridge of Spirits claims he was ‘maliciously forced out’

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/the-former-lead-designer-of-ps5s-kena-claims-he-was-maliciously-forced-out/

Not saying they didn't break a promise to this developer about the terms of the job offer but I remember the article title definitely implies he did a lot more work as well as worked there a lot longer than he's actually claiming he did.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you show us? Because I have never, ever seen this on Twitter, and I follow a lot of gaming accounts.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm expecting a pretty 70mc game with nice music so.... I'm not worried.

(Jason Gallaty aka Theophany is the composer of Kena)

Also the length ember mentioned sounds absolutely perfect to me.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Yeah I don't understand where some of the hype comes from.

I'm going to buy it day 1 assuming it's actually a decent game, but the trailer that we saw barely showed anything but very polished graphics. Music was meh as well from what we've heard so far.

I don't think that your concern is just though, a short experience is fine if it's fairly priced and quality throughout.

Last edited:

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Who cares what I think? Your only concern should be whether or not you'll like it, which if you've already decided one way or another without ever having played it, you might want to reevaluate your priorities.

Oct 30, 2017
Just keep your own expectation in check and it's all good.

The game isn't out for another two months and more details will be coming soon. People have time to formulate a more educated opinion.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Do yourself a favour and ignore fanboys on Twitter. They constantly have the most ridiculous (and often misinformed) arguments to cast their preferred plastic box in the best light.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I had that game in my list of 12 games I'm interested in for 2021, about an hour before OP posted this... so I guess I'm sorry for hyping this title through the roof and mentioning it along the big hitters like Horizon, Ratchet, GOW of 2021.

It's my fault.