• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
"Wireless works for my specific use case therefore NOBODY needs wired any more"

Always the same argument, it's like wireless headphones fans just can't tolerate the fact that not everyone has the same opinion as them. Every single phone on the market works with your choice of wireless headphones, and dropping the headphone port gains you absolutely nothing as proven by years of Samsung flagships.

So, why exactly do you feel that 50% of the market needs to be inconvenienced for no benefit?

In 2020, yeah no need for wires anymore. Plenty of decent and cheap BT headphones on the market now.
So, tell me where the zero latency wireless headphones are? I'm waiting. And I do mean ZERO, not "I can't tell the difference" levels. Yeah, there aren't any. Which makes them useless for any application that requires accurate audio sync. Which means they will always be useless to me.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Always the same argument, it's like wireless headphones fans just can't tolerate the fact that not everyone has the same opinion as them. Every single phone on the market works with your choice of wireless headphones, and dropping the headphone port gains you absolutely nothing as proven by years of Samsung flagships.

So, why exactly do you feel that 50% of the market needs to be inconvenienced for no benefit?

So, tell me where the zero latency wireless headphones are? I'm waiting. And I do mean ZERO, not "I can't tell the difference" levels. Yeah, there aren't any. Which makes them useless for any application that requires accurate audio sync. Which means they will always be useless to me.

Also tell me where the music studios, video suites and boardrooms that all have Bluetooth audio or unimpeded hdmi with no handshake issues - or what recording studio doesn't use wired monitor headphones or six analog inputs or which lcd projector has tap to pair audio.

or why I have to choose between power or usb headphone adapter etc etc.

it's still never been explained to me by a pro wireless future advocate why the robustly thick iPad Pro designed for consumer and professional use with all the marketing to make the point that djs and directors and mixmasters and film editors can use it, can't connect to universal industry "pro" standard interfaces.

phone? I don't like it but at least they can claim size/waterproof or any of the other excuses.

Ventilaator

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
if the headphone jack is an ancient useless waste of space that everyone hates, you'd think the conversation about removing it would have come up before the "Removing features for no reason is actually great" thing that started after Apple removed it.

But no, the headphone jack only started sucking when Apple said so.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
I really love wireless headphones and wont be coming back, but I hate how hard they are to pair with multiple devices. You just cant change from your phone to your computer, then to your tablet, etc., without some hassle.

I have the Redmi airdots earbuds, I guess the Airpods might be easier to deal with this, but I assume it's not as simple as just removing the plug and connecting to the other device (at least with devices that are not made by apple). In this regard wired headphones are clear winners.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I want less options"

"but what about more options?"

"I dont want those options right now so get rid of them"

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
"I don't need a headphone jack anymore, therefore no one does"

Why do people argue/reason like this? I see it all the fucking time for a variety of things and it drives me nuts.

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
It all depends on the usage. Wireless are so freeing when you don't want/can't deal with a wire getting in the way. However until the sound is as good as wired, I won't fully switch over. I own many cabled pairs of cans, I also own a bluetooth/wireless set. I'm really hoping the Pixel buds 2 are great, I'm planning on picking those up. If not, then I may get the Jabra's, though the Sennheiser momentums looks nice too.. I'll need to do some research.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, my car doesn't have Bluetooth capabilities, so I needs me my headphone jack for my commute.

"Why don't you just buy a little bluetooth receiver device that plugs into your aux port and a USB power adapter and take it out of your car every time you leave because a hobo might smash your window and steal the device because he thinks it's worth a few bucks?"

"Why don't they just leave the headphone jack on since you can already choose to use bluetooth and it wasn't bothering you before?"

"NO"

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Also tell me where the music studios, video suites and boardrooms that all have Bluetooth audio or unimpeded hdmi with no handshake issues - or what recording studio doesn't use wired monitor headphones or six analog inputs or which lcd projector has tap to pair audio.

or why I have to choose between power or usb headphone adapter etc etc.

it's still never been explained to me by a pro wireless future advocate why the robustly thick iPad Pro designed for consumer and professional use with all the marketing to make the point that djs and directors and mixmasters and film editors can use it, can't connect to universal industry "pro" standard interfaces.

phone? I don't like it but at least they can claim size/waterproof or any of the other excuses.
wait, the iPad Pro doesn't have a headphone jack? get the fuck outta here with that Apple

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
genuine question to all the people in here angrily responding to OP: are you going to buy an LG for your next phone? it's literally going to be your only flagship choice in the US now that samsung, oneplus, google etc have followed apple.

personally i don't care because i prefer to use wireless buds 95% of the time, but i do keep an LG V40 around as a portable DAP for my wired headphones because the sound improvement from the DAC is legit. one thing that gets lost in this debate is that a lot of phones with headphone jacks had really shitty DACs and line output (like the original pixel) to the point where wireless actually sounded better.

just interested to know if people will put their money where their mouth is. LG makes pretty good phones but i wouldn't recommend it unless you cared more about the headphone jack than camera quality, for example.

I just bought the Samsung S9, since I got a really good deal on it. I hope it'll last the next 4-5 years.
Whenever I have to replace my phone, I'll either get the LG or check the midrange phones that DO have a headphone jack.

I don't care about camera quality. I've got a Canon Rebel T7i for when I'm in vacation, and the rest of the time even a non flagship camera is more than enough.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I get removing 3.5mm jacks on new cars, because Android Auto and Apple Carplay have been able to secure near-universal manufacturer buy-in, and having your full phone interface in your car is way better than mucking about with your phone when you want to change tracks. That's unqualified progress. And the crossover between people who buy new cars but don't also buy new phones (most of which don't have headphone jacks) has to be pretty minimal.

I also kind of get removing it in phones if it truly does help with battery capacity and / or waterproofing. People do legitimately drop their phones in water. That's a thing that happens.

Taking it out of laptops and tablets is just stupid, though. The battery in my bluetooth headphones will last a transatlantic flight, but no longer. If I then have a domestic connection and I want to watch a film on my laptop, I can't, because I can't plug my headphones in.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I get removing 3.5mm jacks on new cars, because Android Auto and Apple Carplay have been able to secure near-universal manufacturer buy-in, and having your full phone interface in your car is way better than mucking about with your phone when you want to change tracks. That's unqualified progress. And the crossover between people who buy new cars but don't also buy new phones (most of which don't have headphone jacks) has to be pretty minimal.

I also kind of get removing it in phones if it truly does help with battery capacity and / or waterproofing. People do legitimately drop their phones in water. That's a thing that happens.

Taking it out of laptops and tablets is just stupid, though. The battery in my bluetooth headphones will last a transatlantic flight, but no longer. If I then have a domestic connection and I want to watch a film on my laptop, I can't, because I can't plug my headphones in.
My S9 is waterproof (has the IP68 certification) and has a headphone jack. That it needs to not have one for it to be water resistant is a myth.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Nah, that's bullshit too if a passenger wants to play something off their phone.

"Pass me the aux"

vs

"Unpair your phone and lose navigation and have me pair mine and then pair yours again"

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly speaking, my AirPods are one of my favorite products ever. You don't really notice how annoying the wires are till they're gone.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Nah, that's bullshit too if a passenger wants to play something off their phone.

"Pass me the aux"

vs

"Unpair your phone and lose navigation and have me pair mine and then pair yours again"
This is going to become a massively edge case though, surely? I grew up in an era where everyone had their own local media that required you to swap line-in leads; now nobody does. There really isn't much of a reason to be "passed the aux" if all you're going to do is choose a song on Spotify that you could just choose via the phone that's already connected to Android Auto / Carplay. I guess you might be about to choose a playlist... but you could just share that playlist with the driver using Spotify's inbuilt sharing function. That would take no longer than plugging in a cable.

I'm with the "keep the choice" brigade for the most part, but cars are the exception. AA / Carplay are safer and more functional than Bluetooth or line-in audio.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
This is going to become a massively edge case though, surely? I grew up in an era where everyone had their own local media that required you to swap line-in leads; now nobody does. There really isn't much of a reason to be "passed the aux" if all you're going to do is choose a song on Spotify that you could just choose via the phone that's already connected to Android Auto / Carplay. I guess you might be about to choose a playlist... but you could just share that playlist with the driver using Spotify's inbuilt sharing function.
Unless the music in question is exclusive to a different streaming service than the driver's, is on a platform with no Anrdoid Auto app (which includes Bandcamp, Soundcloud, and Mixcloud last I checked) or isn't on a streaming service at all.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
That would be the edge case then.
Precisely. I consider myself to have pretty unusual taste in music, and it's incredibly rare that I can't find an artist on Spotify these days. I recognise that it can happen, or that a passenger might have some locally-stored music that isn't available anywhere online, but we're getting into a pretty convoluted series of "what ifs" to get to a place where AA / Carplay aren't better, safer options than running an audio cable and interacting with your phone screen.

Plus, greater proliferation of AA and Carplay will presumably lead to the developers of the SoundCloud and Bandcamp apps supporting those platforms in future. Other applications have gone down that route.

nopattern

Nov 25, 2017
Not having wires is amazing but I still hate Bluetooth technology. Connecting to things can still be so fucking frustrating

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Got Airpods two years ago, and never used anything else since. To be honest, i even forgot about the hadphone jack, i get it that some people need it, i dont miss it at all tho.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017

"Pass me the aux"

vs

I know obviously not everyone has the tech, but there are receivers that allow multiple phones to connect at the same time (I own one), or even allow aux and Bluetooth to work in tandem. But it definitely needs to be mroe common.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Wireless as an option: excellent
Wireless as the only option (and therefore not really an option at all): idiotic

Waveset

Oct 30, 2017
I've got several pairs of dead bluetooth headphones as the batteries have expired, I like the conveniance but batteries are an issue (in day to day use as well as life of battery), throw in issues with pairing and latency, I'm happy to continue coping with a wire until the wireless situation gets better.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, who wants to workout with wires? For that you should go with some "truly" wireless earbuds. But it's good to have the option. Sometimes I want to plug in normal headphones or use an AUX cord somewhere.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a downside to using USB-C headphones (or a 3.5 to USB-C dongle) vs. having a headphone jack? If not, then where is the problem? Do y'all want VGA on your ultrabooks "because it's an option" too?

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I went running yesterday and when I turned my bluetooth headphones on, they were beeping at me because they were about to die.
Luckily, I keep a spare set of wired headphones in my car. Popped those on, still got to run with music. The wired ones are actually more comfortable and have better sound quality, too, they're just not as convenient as BT.

I'd like to keep my headphone jack as an option, pretty please. Bluetooth is a great convenience but there is still a place for wired.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
god damn it, I'm embarrassed to be a fan

Well I knew that before buying it, and the iPad Pro is still amazing, but that really irks me and it comes up a LOT in real work. Workaround is a dock either for adapter or for HDMI when rooms support audio and video - but there's a lot of crappy hardware layers in some of those rooms that give weird audio or no audio results from HDMI either because of displayport or just weird iOS stuff.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Precisely. I consider myself to have pretty unusual taste in music, and it's incredibly rare that I can't find an artist on Spotify these days. I recognise that it can happen, or that a passenger might have some locally-stored music that isn't available anywhere online, but we're getting into a pretty convoluted series of "what ifs" to get to a place where AA / Carplay aren't better, safer options than running an audio cable and interacting with your phone screen.

Plus, greater proliferation of AA and Carplay will presumably lead to the developers of the SoundCloud and Bandcamp apps supporting those platforms in future. Other applications have gone down that route.
I was speaking from experience, so it's not a "what if" for me. For dance music in particular, the DJ mix as an entire medium is pretty much excluded from Spotify because of how copyright and licensing works. In my particular case, being a musician myself also limits my service options to Google Play Music and iTunes Match if I want to listen to my own works.

Last edited:

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
genuine question to all the people in here angrily responding to OP: are you going to buy an LG for your next phone? it's literally going to be your only flagship choice in the US now that samsung, oneplus, google etc have followed apple.

personally i don't care because i prefer to use wireless buds 95% of the time, but i do keep an LG V40 around as a portable DAP for my wired headphones because the sound improvement from the DAC is legit. one thing that gets lost in this debate is that a lot of phones with headphone jacks had really shitty DACs and line output (like the original pixel) to the point where wireless actually sounded better.

just interested to know if people will put their money where their mouth is. LG makes pretty good phones but i wouldn't recommend it unless you cared more about the headphone jack than camera quality, for example.

I have a galaxy s10. I plan on using it for a couple more years and then I'll buy whatever the best speced phone that has a jack. I'm okay with it being medium end, phones are fast now. I have 0 interest in a phone without a headphone jack.

Nov 9, 2017
My wireless headphones must suck, because everytime I step more than 5 feet away from my phone at the gym they start cutting in and out.

collige

Oct 31, 2017

I have an LG thinQ and plan on riding it until the wheels fall off. I use the headphone jack far more often than the camera or any other feature, so it's kind of a deal breaker for me. I easily have the money for a flagship too, but if manufactuers don't want my money, that's on them I guess

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I agree- cheap Bluetooth wireless sets are rampant now, so just invest the $20 something and get a set- you don't have to have earpods. Time to get with the times. My only minor complaint is all phones should have a usb adapter in box for people who want to use their wired headphones- my Oneplus 6t, had it, but my 7t pro McLaren no longer bothered providing one (despite being a $900 phone). What does that thing cost? $1 When you are spending hundreds for a phone just throw a fucking adapter in the box and put these complaints to rest.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
If I wasn't so bad at breaking wired products, I'd still be a wired guy all the way aside from the gym. Wireless just does not sound as good, and charging multiple things sucks.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017

Sorry friend if I don't have a use for something then its useless for everyone.

Thats just simple logic.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
I went ahead and went wireless, and I've been using the same headphones OP is using for awhile now. They're great for working out, and for commuting.

But when I'm home watching something on my iPad, or I want to throw on some music, I'll go wired. Just prefer it for that.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
why can't y'all just leave me the fuck alone and let me enjoy my wires, bruh. damn. like y'all have to rob me of my joy just to further justify your choice? what?

i keep seeing it in this thread and it makes no sense.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Wanna know what else is great? The Nintendo Switch doesn't connect to bluetooth headphones. So if I want to use the same headphones for both, I'd want my phone to have a headphone jack!