• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
My phone actually has a headphone jack but I can't go back to wired after using wireless earbuds for almost two years.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using wireless headphones for a couple years now, and I like them for casual listening. But I enjoy having a phone that has 3.5 mm input just in case. I don't like having to charge headphones, and sometimes they die on me because of that. It's nice to have a wired set that works 100% of the time guaranteed.

The trend forgoing the headphone jack in smartphones is bad, simply because Bluetooth is not as reliable. Even the best Bluetooth headphones have interference issues. The tech just isn't there yet, and it seems like the average consumer doesn't care about having various alternatives or multiple choices. Someone made a joke about the next MacBook not having a headphone jack ... But it's coming whether we like it or not. If Apple wants to sell more AirPods they will absolutely get rid it and force wire users to buy a special interface to connect the link.

Last edited:

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
It's so stupid to remove the jack. Just last weekend I was driving my sister and she wanted me to listen to something on youtube, so I tossed her the audio cable in my car. Nope. She cursed apple for stupidly removing it.

This kind of thing happens constantly. It is pointless, and just jerking around your consumers to make a few extra bucks, with absolutely no benefit to them.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had to show people some dailies on a video app from my iPad Pro but their audio solution was the industry standard (you could say "pro" really, couldn't you?) analog jack. So I couldn't. There's literally no reason the 12 inch iPad Pro shouldn't have a headphone jack and thousands of reasons why it should.

argue about phones all you like but icing it from an allegedly pro capable video editing and production device is fuckery of the highest order and indefensible.

same for its music applications.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
What are the studies that compare removing wires and their plastic casing waste to blutooth headphones?

I was not referring to plastic cases. I was referring to the engineering behind airpods. It is literally impossible for the average person to replace the batteries once they wear out. Airpods are designed to be disposed of when the batteries go out and the consumer buys new ones. Hopefully they are disposed of properly because they contain lithium ion batteries.

I have excellent headphones that can be used for decades assuming devices will still have headphone jacks. Airpods have a limited lifespan and every time they are charged you get ever closer to the day they crap out.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I moved to wireless a while ago and yes it is more "convenient" and I wasn't doing critical listening on my phones shitty DAC anyway, but what did we gain? I have an S10 and an S8+ that I used before that. Been using wireless on both, but I'm glad they have a jack. It doesn't cost anything for them to keep it, and we aren't getting anything in return for the removal. Only fewer options. And now even fewer phones offer a jack moving forward. *sigh*

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I just hate how disposable/wasteful the small bluetooth earbuds seem to be. Batteries can't be changed and you get maybe two years of good use out of them? not sure I want to keep plunking down $150 or so every two years.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I was not referring to plastic cases. I was referring to the engineering behind airpods. It is literally impossible for the average person to replace the batteries once they wear out. Airpods are designed to be disposed of when the batteries go out and the consumer buys new ones. Hopefully they are disposed of properly because they contain lithium ion batteries.

I have excellent headphones that can be used for decades assuming devices will still have headphone jacks. Airpods have a limited lifespan and every time they are charged you get ever closer to the day they crap out.
Can't you take them to a recycling depot? I do that with all my old electronics.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I use wired at home and wireless when I'm out; headphone jacks should stay. Bluetooth works regardless of the jack. People shouldn't need splitter cables to listen with wired headphones and use accessories or charge their phone at the same time.

Can't you take them to a recycling depot? I do that with all my old electronics.
But if the headphones work fine other than a dead battery, why would you recycle the entire unit instead of swapping the batteries?

It's difficult to do because of tedium, but you can replace all of the batteries in Galaxy Buds once they start going bad. The same should realistically apply for Airpods, and all of the others. If Samsung can do it, everyone else can, too.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
It is convenient to wirelessly stream music on my hearing aids. It's fucking annoying when they run dry or keep distorting due to technical issues.

If a 8.000 bucks device cant manage them, i doubt standard ear pieces can.

So yes, its nice and convenient. However, its not all sunny.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I got free galaxy buds when I got my Galaxy S10+, and those are just the best headphones I've ever had.
I still like to keep a pair of wired headphones in my bag, in case I forget to charge the batteries tho.

rhindle

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of a moot point now. If you want a headphone jack in 2020, you're limited to one or two LG models, and maybe some oddball Chinese brands.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I still don't see the appeal and would still be a hindrance in my opinion. I need my headphones to work between my computer, my Switch, and my phone. If only one of those can't make use of it (without clunky workarounds), I'm just inconveniencing myself. And it's not like I'm those people that need to have headphones on every waking minute, so wires don't bother me too much.

Nov 8, 2017
While I'm sure wireless is nice, wired headphones are a requirement of PSVR for binaural output, and I'm not buying a separate set for my phone.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
My note 9 has a jack, it was part of my must haves along with microsd.
The future is gloomy for me. I don t want to think about battery charge for headphones. Flac and adequate wired headphones sound great, when I make people test my modest setup they are blown away.

Oct 30, 2017
genuine question to all the people in here angrily responding to OP: are you going to buy an LG for your next phone? it's literally going to be your only flagship choice in the US now that samsung, oneplus, google etc have followed apple.

personally i don't care because i prefer to use wireless buds 95% of the time, but i do keep an LG V40 around as a portable DAP for my wired headphones because the sound improvement from the DAC is legit. one thing that gets lost in this debate is that a lot of phones with headphone jacks had really shitty DACs and line output (like the original pixel) to the point where wireless actually sounded better.

just interested to know if people will put their money where their mouth is. LG makes pretty good phones but i wouldn't recommend it unless you cared more about the headphone jack than camera quality, for example.

Oct 27, 2017
Never tried them so i might be wrong but:
Isnt the bluetooth draining your phome battery? Is it easy to sync immediately? Or is there some bugs once in a while?

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
genuine question to all the people in here angrily responding to OP: are you going to buy an LG for your next phone? it's literally going to be your only flagship choice in the US now that samsung, oneplus, google etc have followed apple.

personally i don't care because i prefer to use wireless buds 95% of the time, but i do keep an LG V40 around as a portable DAP for my wired headphones because the sound improvement from the DAC is legit. one thing that gets lost in this debate is that a lot of phones with headphone jacks had really shitty DACs and line output (like the original pixel) to the point where wireless actually sounded better.

just interested to know if people will put their money where their mouth is. LG makes pretty good phones but i wouldn't recommend it unless you cared more about the headphone jack than camera quality, for example.
Who says I'm buying a flagship?

Removing jacks from flagships have pushed me to go their mid-tier phones.

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For maximum enjoyment of the wireless life I highly recommend playing a rhythm game on your phone using the Jabras. I have the same wireless earbuds, but most days I just use my 15€ wired ones. They're much more convenient not having to worry about where the case is or when I've last charged them. I just plug them in and they work. It doesn't help that the Jabras don't fit me super well so I need to keep adjusting them all the time.

I'm using a Galaxy S8 right now, I think I'll buy an S10 series phone some time this year and then look at my options in 3 years or so. With how phones are these days there's really no need to buy flagship anyway.

Last edited:

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
I was on wireless as soon as there were better quality than airpods for 1/5 of the price.

Jul 26, 2018
Agree.

Literally just bought a pair of the Powerbeats Pro last night and It's amazing. Being able to not worry about my earphones not falling off my ears due to sweat is the best thing ever. My last wireless weere the 1st gen Airpods and it only lasted a year... definitely not sweat proof haha. Also the fact that if I sweat too much, it would slip off.. oof.

Pro is beast for workouts which I do almost every single day.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
It was absolutely time for the headphone jack to die.

Good riddance.

In 2020, yeah no need for wires anymore. Plenty of decent and cheap BT headphones on the market now.

When the iPhone 7 released in 2016 tho? I was pretty annoyed.
BT stuff was still pretty expensive and/or low quality (terrible battery life, materials).

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It was absolutely time for the headphone jack to die.

Good riddance.
posts like this are so weird.

In 2020, yeah no need for wires anymore. Plenty of decent and cheap BT headphones on the market now.

When the iPhone 7 released in 2016 tho? I was pretty annoyed.
BT stuff was still pretty expensive and/or low quality (terrible battery life, materials).
and so is this.

What's wrong with choice? What if people don't want to listen to "cheap BT headphones"? What of the people that don't want to buy into more trash-creating disposable products? In what way does the headphone jack prevent you from buying BT headphones, past or present? What practical benefit do you gain in exchange for the loss of a practical, universal audio plug?

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
What's wrong with choice? What if people don't want to listen to "cheap BT headphones"? What of the people that don't want to buy into more trash-creating disposable products? In what way does the headphone jack prevent you from buying BT headphones, past or present? What practical benefit do you gain in exchange for the loss of a practical, universal audio plug?

You need to take that up with whatever manufacturer you have a beef with.
Technology is always evolving, killing off products and standards is part of the deal.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should remove everything from a phone that I don't use, fuck everyone else.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
next: "we don't need charging ports"

i tried ditching the headphone jack. i got a OnePlus 6T which even came with a free pair of USB-C earphones. i was a believer until music started constantly pausing/cutting out. the port just isn't as robust as a 3.5mm jack.

i'm not buying wireless ear/headphones that i need to pay way more for and charge up.

i sold my 6T and bought a 3A XL despite it being a less powerful phone. If a phone doesn't have a headphone jack then I'm not buying it. I don't care if that severely limits my choices. They day i ditch it will be the day there are no phones with it and when that comes I'll probably just stop listening to music on my phone

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Ever since I got a free pair of Bose QC35II from my work I don't use wires as well, but there's literally nothing to lose by keeping the 3.5mm jack so everyone can have a choice and use whatever they want to use.
So, congratulations on "moving forward" I guess, but your conclusion is definitely wrong

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
I use wireless 90% of the time and I still wouldn't buy a phone without a headphone jack.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
I use in-ears at work and wireless ones wouldn't work for me since I'd put them down somewhere and lose them. Also, I'm not too keen on the idea of having to recharge them.