• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
SQ will never be the same quality for wireless devices, especially earbuds. Headphones may get there but as someone who loves the convenience of earbuds on the go you'll have to pry my wired set from my cold dead hands before seeing me rock a pair of wireless.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Its not like i "need" the wire. For me the problems are:
  • Wireless headphones are usually more expensive then their wired counterparts
  • Many hardware stuff doesn't have a wireless option such as my PC and switch
  • Wireless headphones usualy don't let you susbtitute the battery so after a few years of ehavy use you get a "wired" headphones
I don't want to buy more then 1 good/great headphone every few years.

MajorTom

Nov 5, 2017
England
I have a pair of AirPods, they're super convenient. Easiest pair of wireless earphones I've ever owned.
I also have some Anker soundcore wireless headphones, they're pretty alright too. Especially considering they only cost me £30.
I tend to switch between the 2 at work.
my Anker headphones claim to last 60 hours on a single charge. I'd believe it. Easily lasts 2 weeks at work before charging again.

I admit, I was kind of against no headphone jack when I first got my iPhone XS, but I honestly couldn't care less now. There's so many great wireless options out there.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope we still need 'em. I'm not about to go buy completely new audio equipment cause cell phone manufacturers want to be "innovative" or "forward thinking"

Jan 29, 2018
I know that wireless headphones don't give you brain cancer, but I don't really get why they don't give you brain cancer.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Someone help me find the kind of headphones I like, in Bluetooth, and I'll consider moving on.

I hate the big over-the-ear clamshells, even though I have a couple of nice ones, partly because I wear glasses and it's uncomfortable to have earphones pressing against them.

I hate earbuds, even though I must have a hundred pair lying around. I've never found a comfortable pair, nor ones that will stay put (especially in my left ear, who knows why).

What I like is this design :

414CIRz5I%2BL.jpg

They are described as "vertical in-ear", and apparently no one makes them any more. Add "bluetooth" or "wireless" to that, and google it, and I get nothing. I have a couple of old pairs that I love. I'd be happy to also have a wireless pair. I'm certainly never buying a phone without a headphone jack while I can't find wireless headphones that I like as well as my wired ones.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can be wrong, anyone arguing against headphone jakes are wrong and have no idea what they are talking about.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
The thing gets me about it is removing the 3.5mm jack removes my choice...

For some futile folly of being 0.5mm thinner the manufacturer (lead by apple, followed by others) has made it a binary choice... That what's fucking annoying about it.

I have wireless but use wired as well. So I'm not in either camp exclusively... But I find it a backwards step overall

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Yay for more planned obsolescence and more ewaste!

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I got tangled up with another passenger while leaving the subway once about 7 years ago, bought bluetooth headphones the next day and haven't looked back.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I spent like $90 on Bluetooth headphones and they broke. They didn't sound any better than my $25 wired ones, so I'll play that game instead. I'd rather replace $25 headphones than $90 ones.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I have a wireless pair of aftershox that I use for running/workout and a wired pair I use because the wireless ones are always not charged. It's the perfect system.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I need music during my workouts but you know what's the biggest hindrance? The fucking wire. It's so annoying when it gets caught on something (whether it's an arm or piece of equipment or what) and gets yanked out of my ear. My friend suggested wireless earphones last year but I dismissed it since I didn't believe they'd stay in and they looked dumb on the ears, but you know what... I was totally wrong. I finally caved and bought a pair of Jabra Active Elite headphones and it's fucking game changing. I don't need to worry about the wire and can just work out totally focused, I don't have to carry the phone around with me whether I'm working at the gym, home, or office, and the phone functions work just as well as regular headphones. They stay in my ear without any issue no matter how rigorous my day is. The battery is solid for my uses and it's comfy.

I'm a believer now. The wireless sound quality and comfort is good enough that I don't care about the wire anymore. We don't need it, people!
See you in 1.5-2 years when your buds are no longer holding a reasonable charge and you have to drop another $100+ on a replacement pair as I enter my 6th year of service on my corded buds, able to use excellent DACs, and connect them to a variety of devices.

There is a place for both. "We don't need" isn't a truth; speak for yourself and avoid commentary that seeks to dictate to others how to enjoy things and what can be used.

Oct 27, 2017
I was just like you. Then my headphones started making a fuzzy noise and rather than spend another $100 I plugged in a cheap wired pair I had laying around.

Having that option sure was convenient. But for sure for working out, or while cooking, super nice. Having the option is the best obviously. Not sure why your point would be an argument for removing options.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
I use Earbuds with charging cases since december. It's been great so far, while doing my morning exercises and going outside

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I really only need wired headphones for airplanes nowadays, and even then there are interesting solutions for those now too.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
BT headphones still have (and will always have) latency issues - and audio is always (re)compressed over Bluetooth, there's no way to get a bit-for-bit 1:1 version of the file on your phone/PC into your ears over Bluetooth.
Most people listen to compressed audio via the streaming services anyway so this is only an issue for certain diehards who demand hi-res audio.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Someone being ignorant to another side's argument, finally being exposed to and swayed by it and then declaring that everyone on the other side has been wrong this whole time is really obnoxious. Just because you've been ignorant to the benefits of wireless doesn't mean others are and haven't weighed up the negatives. Some people prefer audio quality over convenience. Some people want reliable connection that doesn't invariably drop out for moments at a time. Some people don't want to spend more money on something they don't want.

And this is coming from someone who's gone wireless and will never go back. But I'm not outright dismissing the very valid complaints people have because it works for me.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wireless is pretty cool but I already long for the days of the universal headphone jack. I'm sick of earphones that can run out of battery.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
You know what's even better than no wires? Having the choice to do both.

This. I begrudglingly bought a Note10, which doesn't have a jack. I don't know how many times I've gone to plug one in and forgotten that it's gone and been inconvenienced by it. It's incredibly annoying to not have one. You can attach a bluetooth device and keep the jack.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Wired audio quality is better than Bluetooth audio quality

That alone is more than enough reason
that's silly. i doubt the grand majority of people really care about audio quality since folks would pirate low bitrate music before. you then have folks who buy easily seen mediocre wired headphones and earbuds.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
Those of you wanting choice.. you have the choice of using the dongle. If that space the jack uses is used for better battery or whatever, I'm all for it.

How many of you still want CD drives in laptops?

Last edited:

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Having the option for both is the best alternative.

I have a dedicated DAP that also has Bluetooth- I use a pair of wireless headphones when exercising or doing stuff around the house, a pair of wired cans when I want to kick back and enjoy my lovely collection of lossless music, and a pair of IEM when dealing with commuting - not the best audio, but still good enough to ignore the entire subway and it also means I don't deal with interference!

Losing the ability to choose, or willingly locking yourself to a single alternative is just stupid. Sometimes I'm using my IEM and want to listen to something in my phone - videos, YouTube, stuff send through WhatsApp - and having the alternative to do it wired is nice! If I'm using my wireless headphones, it's also nice. But the best part is that I choose, not a company.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I use both: wireless for sports, wired for travel / at home. I would love the option for both.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
honestly? My bose headphones are what got me to end. I have the OPTION to turn them into wired heaphones, but I never do unless I am forced to. And yeah I am getting the S20 because I have used a wired connection maybe once. When the headphones run out of battery I just charge it vs listening to it wired.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019

I've never seen such infatuation with removing features that others use. I use lots of products that have features others find useful but I dont use. But I dont go online cheering for their demise. Because that's just fucking dumb.
I used to stand with you, but y'know what changed my mind?

Headphone jacks aren't waterproof.

edit: Did a little search and turns out my belief was apocryphal. Consider my mind unchanged

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I used to stand with you, but y'know what changed my mind?

Headphone jacks aren't waterproof.

They're water resistant. 1.5 meters under water for 30 minutes or something is their rating. I dont take my phone to the pool or the ocean or leave it in the bathtub or dishwasher for an hour so I'm fine.

ZedLilIndPum

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the camera bump will eventually cover the entire backside of the phone, there'll be the space to put the jack back in.
(Only partly tongue in cheek)

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Bluetooth headphones are great. They're nice when you're out and about, especially if you have $150-250 for a really good pair.

Wired headphone jacks are nice to have when the miniscule battery life on your bluetooth headphones run out and you just want to lay on the couch and watch something. The fact they can be included at almost 0 cost and minimal impact on design should dictate they be included, for convenience's sake and for many people who can't afford Airpod Pros or Jaybird Xs or Samsung Galaxy Buds.