• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Who needs an $8 pair of wired headphones when you can just buy a $150 pair like me, the enlightened person in the room?

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
i prefer wired headphones, and bluetooth speakers. no charging headphones and better audio quality for price. also just thinking about in ear headphones makes my ears hurt, but i do accept that wireless headphones would be ideal for working out or just being active.

ViperVisor

Oct 29, 2017
If I was a public transport commuter I'd still be ticked off about the search for profit over a user friendly headphone jack.

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
guys i just found out about GOG you can download games and keep them forever
no drm
im going to go burn down gamestop now we dont need physical anymore
come with me friends the world is our oyster
to arms comrades grab your torches

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Agreed, OP. Wireless has been a solid choice for a while. Only problem is the battery degradation over time. For me it's not the end of the world, I can buy a new pair after a year or two but if foiks want their shit to last and maintain solid battery life? It can be a gamble.

Wireless is great but on a busy train commute the sound can cut out like mad due to interference unless I'm carrying the phone next to my face so wired is 100 percent better in some situations

I'm on packed trains during the week. Have not had that experience ever. Only time I experienced cut out was in a specific spot near Times Square when I was walking to/from work. What headphones did that?

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on packed trains during the week. Have not had that experience ever. Only time I experienced cut out was in a specific spot near Times Square when I was walking to/from work. What headphones did that?

I have a pair of beats and a pair of jabras that could not maintain connection in a busy gym where everybody else also had wireless shit. Happened both times, and both were okay when I checked in my car after my workout. Cardio with no music sucked, lol.

DigitalT

Oct 27, 2017
Just because wireless headphones are more convenient in certain situations, that does not mean wired headphones should be completely killed off. Unfortunately the mobile phone industry makes too much money selling the solution to a problem they created, so I'm pretty sure it's too late.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I have a pair of beats and a pair of jabras that could not maintain connection in a busy gym where everybody else also had wireless shit. Happened both times, and both were okay when I checked in my car after my workout. Cardio with no music sucked, lol.

Damn. I have powerbeats pro that I use on the train religiously and the only problem I sometimes have is one of them doesn't connect after taking them out of the case. Then I gotta put the fucker back in and then remove again to reestablish the connection to my phone. But never any signal interruption at the gym or commute.

But yea, wireless isn't perfect.

Just because wireless headphones are more convenient in certain situations, that does not mean wired headphones should be completely killed off. Unfortunately the mobile phone industry makes too much money selling the solution to a problem they mad, so I'm pretty sure it's too late.

I mean, gotta embrace change. #donglelife

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Congrats on drinking the kool-aid, I guess?
Is that the new way of saying allowing progress in tech, enjoying a bigger, better battery and have the option to use any wired or wireless headphones I have? Because this shit is delicious.

It's a dongle. It saves space in phones that most people don't use most of the time. None of my headphones expired or stopped working. But man my battery life on a daily basis is wonderful.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Won't switch until I'm forced to because there is no reason for me to do so. But I'm glad you're happy OP, it's what's important in the end.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wireless headphones would make my job a bitch, and ruin any hopes I have of teleworking soooo screw that.

When the rest of the professional audio industry moves over to wireless audio, that's when I'll make the change. I've seen some impressive wireless setups for live sound at NAMM, but nothing geared for super-low-latency post processing studio work.

THAT BEING SAID... for casual enjoyment I love wireless headphones. My airpods pro make the commute so much easier.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I've been on Bluetooth headphones for a while now and it's hard to go back to wired.

My current pair are the Galaxy Buds and I'm going to upgrade to the Buds+ real soon.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wired audio quality is better than Bluetooth audio quality

That alone is more than enough reason

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Who needs an $8 pair of wired headphones when you can just buy a $150 pair like me, the enlightened person in the room?
People keeps saying stuff like this. That makes absolutely no sense. Are the build quality and sound quality of the $8 and $150 comparable?
The $8 headphone sounds like crap, feels like crap and looks like crap. There are also cheap BT headphones for $20-30. BT isn't new tech, it's 2020, they don't need to cost $100 and up. There are also extremely good TWS earphones for around $16-17. Really not sure why people think BT head/earphones are still super expensive. Like there are no clear price differences with wired headphones. It depends what you want and how much you want to pay.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm on the Bluetooth wagon, and like most hobbies you'll need specialized equipment for wired headphones going forward.

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
I just recently bought wireless headphones for the first time and while I think they are convenient - I don't know if it's the headphone quality or not but the volume seems to be very low - I need headphones that make my ears bleed - any recommendations?

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
People keeps saying stuff like this. That makes absolutely no sense. Are the build quality and sound quality of the $8 and $150 comparable?
The $8 headphone sounds like crap, feels like crap and looks like crap. There are also cheap BT headphones for $20-30. BT isn't new tech, it's 2020, they don't need to cost $100 and up. There are also extremely good TWS earphones for around $16-17. Really not sure why people think BT head/earphones are still super expensive. Like there are no clear price differences with wired headphones. It depends what you want and how much you want to pay.
your phone probably isn't putting out the audio quality you think you're getting from the OP's $150 pair of headphones, which are priced more on the fact that they're wireless and don't interfere with a workout more than the fidelity/precision of their drivers.
I buy $8 headphones because I wear them constantly, on the order of 10-12 hours every day, 5 days a week. So the price differential between an $8 pair and a $16 pair is actually pretty relevant!
I used to pay much more for headphones, only to have them disintegrate less than a year after purchase because they weren't made for my use case. Nowadays the only options in that price range are all wired. So I still need them. If I cared about perfect, lossless fidelity, I wouldn't be listening to my music out of my phone or through the default speaker kit in my car. I'd use a much more dedicated hardware rig to accomplish that, and even then I probably wouldn't trust bluetooth to handle the bandwitdh.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I opposed the removal of the headphone jack out of principle, but honestly it hasn't affected me in any way. I've had AirPods for 3 years now and they've treated me well and lasted far longer than any wired pair I've used. Once these die I'll probably get another pair or a different wireless brand.

I'm much less happy with the removal of USB-A posts from MacBooks and other laptops. USB-C still isn't as universal as USB-A.

Mar 23, 2019
Finally got a pair of wireless buds after getting fed up with my wired phones always getting twisted and tangled. That being said, I'm not a fan of of anti-consumer moves like ditching the headphone jack and I don't like seeing people praise it as some sort "bold step forward" because they're fanboying for tech companies.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Would still prefer a choice for either without eliminating one of the options. My car doesn't have bluetooth either so kinda lacking on the options here.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Yep 100% agreed OP. I went wireless a few years ago and couldn't be happier. My AirPods have great sound for what I listen to and the convenience/pairing can't be beat.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Yeah I was pissed at the removal of the jack at first, but honestly I'm never going back to wired.
Wires are evil.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
BT headphones still have (and will always have) latency issues - and audio is always (re)compressed over Bluetooth, there's no way to get a bit-for-bit 1:1 version of the file on your phone/PC into your ears over Bluetooth.

For use cases where those things don't matter - absolutely we don't need wires.
imo phones are that use case because their DACs usually stink anyway

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
Depends on use...running with wireless buds and music on my Garmin watch is game changing (if you run / into fitness) ......but at home if there is a wired option I'll use it with my decent wired headphones....

Wireless headphones tech is getting far better and more affordable ..

Motwera

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, not gonna let this one slide ever.

There is absolutely no excuse to take out the choice and I've witnessed almost two decades of technological progression in the consumer market and not once was it ever have removing the jack as a net positive or even a sensible move anyways.
If you want to move ahead with wireless technology, then you should give the choice because the jack is not the floppy disk, it isn't the optical disc media, and neither it is the proprietary charging cable pin. It is universal and compatible with so many things. And I still use it alot on top of having wireless headphones AND earbuds.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather not have to buy earphones with non removable rechargeable batteries. Wired great headphones without batteries are so nice. No need to check the charge levels, things just work. Wired headphones are also reasonable in price.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
"i don't need it for this one specific purpose, so it's okay if it goes away forever!"

Oct 26, 2017
Every wireless set I've owned, can't be assed to check what each one is. Right now using skullcandy ink'd. Mind you I'm using the busiest stations in the world and it's possible my galaxy s8 is the issue, so I dunno.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The amount of times my headphone cords get snagged on my hands, the mower, my clothing etc when I'm mowing the yard is outrageous. I was thinking the last time how great it'd be to have some wireless headphones for that.

However, I'm still firmly, 100% in the camp for keeping the headphone jack. There's absolutely no need to stop putting it in phones, and anyone who tells you otherwise is either a liar, or a tech fetishist who wants to see the space used for an eighth camera or whatever.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah I got some Anker wireless things, fucking great. They were like 30-40 bucks (I think paying any more than that is fucking crazy) and I've loved em ever since.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have been using a few wireless headphones and absolutely love the freedom and haven't had the need to use a jack stick on my phone except when on an airplane.

I don't see the removal of the jack stick on phones as a big issue, if anything I think it's great that we have gotten more quality choices for wireless audio since Apple made the jump and forced companies to rethink audio interfaces other than relying on the mediocre DACs found in mobile devices.Adapters to jackstick are dirt cheap anyways if you want it, no reason to have an unused port on your phone.

Rocking the Sony WF-1000XM3 earbuds for working out and Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones for longer travels/mixed home usage, both are quality products with fantastic audio while being truly wireless.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Jacks forever.

Not gonna trust the masses who rocked those shitty apple earbuds for over a decade who say bluetooth headphones sound as good, when they don't.

Latency issues, quality of sound issues, battery waste, etc. Because suddenly cords are too hard for humans to deal with

Feb 1, 2018
Wires on a mobile device in 2020 is super nerdy and goofy

I only use high quality wired headphones (Sony MDR 7506) at my desk when working on something that needs good sound, otherwise it's airpods pro all day every day everywhere else except for my car which is also bluetooth and the USB is just for charging