• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I need music during my workouts but you know what's the biggest hindrance? The fucking wire. It's so annoying when it gets caught on something (whether it's an arm or piece of equipment or what) and gets yanked out of my ear. My friend suggested wireless earphones last year but I dismissed it since I didn't believe they'd stay in and they looked dumb on the ears, but you know what... I was totally wrong. I finally caved and bought a pair of Jabra Active Elite headphones and it's fucking game changing. I don't need to worry about the wire and can just work out totally focused, I don't have to carry the phone around with me whether I'm working at the gym, home, or office, and the phone functions work just as well as regular headphones. They stay in my ear without any issue no matter how rigorous my day is. The battery is solid for my uses and it's comfy.

I'm a believer now. The wireless sound quality and comfort is good enough that I don't care about the wire anymore. We don't need it, people!

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I have those. Best workout headphones ever. You can also get them for $50 on eBay for refurbished from Jabra Direct. No excuse for people now to not get on the wireless train.

Jebral

Oct 29, 2017
I would agree except it would turn all time in my no Bluetooth car into a quiet shitty nightmare.

Oct 26, 2017
Wireless is great but on a busy train commute the sound can cut out like mad due to interference unless I'm carrying the phone next to my face so wired is 100 percent better in some situations

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
it's interesting because for a phone you really don't

if Apple ever makes a MacBook that doesn't have one though they'll be rightfully laughed out of the room

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
I have those and they're quite good. That said, they're not going to substitute my Sennheisers with an amp (or bookshelf + amp setup). That said, they're certainly convenient!

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do all ya'll "I don't need wired" people keep ignoring the aspect of choice?

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Buying a pair of wireless fitness headphones was one of the best purchases I've made in a while. Wires suck. OP is 100% right.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I have wireless headphones that are great for walking around or the gym but if I'm at home I'm still gonna prefer my wired headphones so I'm still not buying a phone without a headphone jack 🤷‍♂️

CopyOfACopy

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree, got a bunch of sony behind the head at $20, and they never fall off when running or lifting

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
BT headphones still have (and will always have) latency issues - and audio is always (re)compressed over Bluetooth, there's no way to get a bit-for-bit 1:1 version of the file on your phone/PC into your ears over Bluetooth.

For use cases where those things don't matter - absolutely we don't need wires.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went wireless some time ago - no real complaints tbh. I have a set of Sony WH-1000XM3 that serve me well.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking quit forcing your choices on other people. I use wireless headphones 90% of the time, but I still have a real nice wired pair that I love using and I would hate to lose access to it.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's all fun and games until you forget to charge them and then you get no music on your workout.

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
I'm all in with bluetooth headphones BUT I feel like phones need better batteries because they consume more. And in the long run it isn't good for the phone (the more charges, the less health of the battery)

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You all do realize that wireless headphones work exactly the same on devices that have a headphone jack, right?

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I exclusively use either my Bluetooth headphones or connect to Apple Car through my charging port. But! My bluetooth is super shoddy on my phone. It barely works when I'm in San Francisco and is spotty everywhere else. I should go back to using corded headphones but I really don't like cords. This is a reason why we need a headphone port, though. If Apple can't make reliable bluetooth, I need an alternative (if I was smarter).

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
Wireless buds are great, but not everyone can afford $150 headphones.

I have a pixel 3 (No Port), and got some cheap $30 blue tooth earphones, they're fine. But I'd prefer $30 Wired headphones.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
It's mostly there. I have a Sony WH1000XM3, and it definitely has become my daily driver. Battery lasts so long that charging is a non-existent concern. However, switching between devices is miserable, and the sound quality for these top-of-the-line headphones is still middling. EQ compensates somewhat, not completely, and it's a chore on OSX.

Also, walking through a busy city like New York there is a TON of what I can only describe as interference, particularly on street corners. Not sure what the deal with that is.

All in all, it's definitely convenient enough to shift usage habits, but it's hardly some revelation. Would like to see better products in the market.

Also, it's such a weird consumer stockholm syndrome thing to be attached to NOT having a headphone jack.

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
Yes i need, i won't change my Ipod Classic for absolutely anything. I wouldn't mind a bluetooth/wireless mod for it, though.

Oct 25, 2017
I will be that weird wired headphone guy forever. I've accepted that I am now the mistrustful old person when it comes to technology.

Also, I have something like a half dozen pairs of earbuds and stuff I should use before I get anything new.

Yes i need, i won't change my Ipod Classic for absolutely anything. I wouldn't mind a bluetooth/wireless mod for it, though.

Did you put an SD card in it already?

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
There are still problems like:
- wireless headphones are still more expansive than wired ones
- the headphones can run out of power when you're in the middle of a run, a walk or during a long ride by train / plane

Yes, wireless headphones are great during a workout. But when I'm going for a 6-7 hours trip, I prefer to take my wired headphones with me because I'm sure that at no point I will be forced to take them down in order to charge them.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I see no reason why a phone shouldn't have a headphone jack. I have a pair of Jabras earbuds for whenever I'm at the gym, school or walking around. I love them, but I also have my wired headphones at home where I prefer them.

You are absolutely correct that wires are terrible at the gym though.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I too, would love to be forced to pay 150 dollars for wireless headphones, instead of 5 dollar for wired.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
I can agree for workout stuff, but that's when I don't really care about audio quality. Now if I want to use some high-end IEMs, I completely disagree. I loved when companies would go out of their way to include good quality dac/amp chips in their phones. I have a pair of Tin HiFi T4 IEMs and whiles they sound adequate on my phone, they sound amazing once I plug them into my headphone amp at home. Same headphones on my old Axon 7 are almost as good as my headphone amp and miles ahead of any newer phone.

I don't want to have to spend money and carry around with me a DAP when I already have a device capable enough to run my FLAC tracks, just because phone manufacturers feel they need to save a few millimeters inside the phone and jack up the price of the handset.