• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheDudePT

Banned
Oct 3, 2019
Portugal
40 here. Pre internet and after internet are like two different worlds. Wonder if there'll be anything like that ever again.

When watching movies from or about the 80's I can't help but feel like I'd love for my kids to grow up in a "simpler" time like I did.

But my oldest, 3, already knows about cassete tapes and other analog relics.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
40 here. Pre internet and after internet are like two different worlds. Wonder if there'll be anything like that ever again.

When watching movies from or about the 80's I can't help but feel like I'd love for my kids to grow up in a "simpler" time like I did.

Once we get to next gen XR that will be a monumental shift in pretty much everything.

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the biggest changes I've noticed. The net used to be more free, with more information, more intelligent debate, less commercial, with more variety.

I mean there were all those free websites and today you just have social media, where people have less freedom of expression (mainly by limitations of the platforms, you can't make a multimedia experience).

Let's not get crazy now. Although yes, I agree with the sentiment that the web feels smaller now, it's less of a wild west and has much clearer distinctions for sites, their usage etc It's an established thing now. I felt that sort of thing change back on GAF though probably 10 years ago, it felt like the only place worth going to for game news in the same way that Era does. It's just that feeling has permeated other aspects of internet usage; you go to youtube for video etc

poropat

Created an alt account to abuse the GiftBot system
Banned
Aug 23, 2018
It's amazing how quickly technology has advanced in 30 years.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hell, has anyone ever watched a TV show from when you were younger, and been like - wow, that's pretty tame by today's standards, or wow, that would never fly today? I know you have.

I'm on a bit of an 80's movie binge at the moment and watched 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High' last night and wow. The homophobia alone was shocking...

I was born in '83.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
When you're a kid it seems like the world has always been that way.

You go through a different phase in adolescence, but the world still feels like it's yours. There's a set way your parents did things, your grandparents seem really outdated, and the future is, well, the future - completely foggy and mysterious, a nebulous concept that can only capture your imagination.

Early 20's is your first time in the adult world. Childhood seems distant now. Things are different, but still connected to the era you came from. You can still mostly relate to things teenagers are into.

Then things start to change. New trends and styles of music and technology arise that are new and unknown to you. Children use mannerisms and slang you're completely unfamiliar with. The political landscape you live in changes, and what you grew up with becomes outdated. Hell, has anyone ever watched a TV show from when you were younger, and been like - wow, that's pretty tame by today's standards, or wow, that would never fly today? I know you have.

It weirds me out a little, to be honest. Especially as we enter the 2020's and this century is really starting to get into gear with VR and Smart technology and basic AI like Alexa. This is the future I dreamed of as a kid and it's happening now.

Anyone else have thoughts about this?

You lose touch because our societal constructs are built to keep you occupied with different time-demanding activities as you grow older. In our thirties, we've got our full attention on a very narrow, very specific thing (or things) -- work, and relationships. Playtime is relegated to what we took with us from our childhood and teenage years; what were most comfortable with. And it usually means we grow out of touch with the next generation.

You'd have to actively stay on top of shit in order to feel like time has never left you, and that can get tiresome. You also risk success in the other things that have pushed upwards towards obligational priority in your life.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
44 here. Shit has been wild as I have lived damn near exactly half of my life without the internet, and half of it with. It has literally been almost exactly.

The good thing about my experience is both computers along with the internet came into my life when I was around 22 years old. They were both already no doubt around for quite some time before that, but at the time computers were still very much something only a smaller subset of society used. Not a whole lot of people had them. It was around when I was 22 they started becoming more affordable and more mainstream. I also had just graduated college and realized I was fucked because I did not learn anything on the computer while I was there, so I had to pick myself up a PowerMac 8100. I went to Art College and at the time it was almost all Mac for anyone who considered themselves a designer / artist.

Because I lived through a time where computers overall became mainstream, and because I was more or less an adult already, I was able to view them as what I still view them to this day... Just another tool to get specific tasks done. Albeit it a very powerful tool, but a tool nonetheless.

And I believe the above is why there is such a huge disconnect between myself and younger generations these days. I can envision a time without computers or smartphones. I lived it until I was approximately 22 years old. As a result I am not tied to my smartphone these days. In fact I consider them a damn nuisance more or less. Where younger kids it is all they know. It is their source of information and communication for literally everything. So there is quite a divide there even though it is only a few decades between us.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I've noticed it, too, but in particular with technology and growing up during a significant evolution of tech and Internet, I feel like I've been evolving and melding with it that it just seems natural rather than feeling *cracks back* "back in muh day" and losing touch with the changes.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
It's not, I'm 30 and I still don't feel like an adult adult.

Part of becoming an "adult" is the realization that "adulthood" is a mindset and not something you arbitrarily become as you get older. Once you realize that people in their 50s can throw temper tantrums at work or elsewhere, the belief that older people know what's going on and have it all figured out starts to crumble. There are also plenty of 40, 50, and 60 somethings with the maturity of somebody in their early 20s.

In addition, being an "adult" is also the outward projection of normal and responsible behavior. It's a willingness and the action of putting aside the things you want to do for the things that you should and have to do.

Some people are just really good at constantly projecting that outward image and keeping that fixed mindset of responsibility.

You lose touch because our societal constructs are built to keep you occupied with different time-demanding activities as you grow older. In our thirties, we've got our full attention on a very narrow, very specific thing (or things) -- work, and relationships. Playtime is relegated to what we took with us from our childhood and teenage years; what were most comfortable with. And it usually means we grow out of touch with the next generation.

You'd have to actively stay on top of shit in order to feel like time has never left you, and that can get tiresome. You also risk success in the other things that have pushed upwards towards obligational priority in your life.

I always chalked it up to a few things.

First, it's the belief that what we had growing up was mostly unique and special. As an example I'm 38 so it's going to be stuff like the Ghostbusters, Star Wars (even though this was actually before my time in most ways), He-Man, Thundercats, TMNT, the NES/SNES, Nick Toons, etc. As a teen, it's going to be all kinds of 80s and 90s music with different musical movements like gangster rap, nu metal, grunge, alternative rock, and on and on.

Second, the novelty of new things wears off and as you get older you start to see the commercialization motivations a lot more behind many products.

Third, it's my understanding that physically our brains aren't as receptive to things like new music as they were when we were teenagers. Or it might be our emotional ages where we don't relate to the words and emotions of the music as much but we can with older music because we already built those attachments.

Fourth, and this is basically what you're saying, it's that we don't have the time or even the interest in staying in touch with what's new. Even with lots of free time, there's more media than ever out there even if you just wanted to cling to those past IPs because many of those properties are still getting new content. While working, it takes me a solid month to get through lots of video games or hell, while not working it takes me a couple weeks still. There's never been as much media content as there is today and it's just exhausting, like you said, to keep up with the past much less with what's new.

Lastly, I think for many people their interests change from enjoying things that have a short product cycle (the latest band or whatever) to things that are more universal like spending time with family, outdoor activities, home projects, or skill based active hobbies like learning musical instruments, knitting, car maintenance, etc.

Again to mirror my previous post, aging really isn't all that bad nor is losing touch with what's "in". If 30 is old then we spend 50-66% of our lives as "old".

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 42. Tonight i was watching America's Funniest Videos with my daughter, and they were celebrating being on the air for 30 years by showing videos from that first season. When the old video came on I immediately remembered it vividly-watching it with my own parents. That was THIRTY YEARS AGO and I remember it vividly.
Yeah, I can remember stuff from my formative years like I just saw or heard it yesterday (like lyrics to a song I haven't heard in years), but trying to remember stuff I've seen or heard in the last month seems almost impossible.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A man once said:
  1. Anything that is in the world when you're born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
  2. Anything that's invented between when you're fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
  3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things."

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017

I'm also Gen X, and now some movies make a LOT more sense to me.

Like, if you ever get around to popping in Stand By Me, and watching a movie about kids growing up in the 50s, when I was a kid, I was like, "Who cares about a movie like this?"

But... I get it now.

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still trying to grasp the thought of being a father next year. Im trying to remember how it is now, cause I know it's going to get a lot different soon.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeep. I'm in my thirties, which is apparently long enough to see several different phases of "cool" come and go. Different ways of speaking, different topics that people think are cool, and so on. It feels weird to see it from the outside. I was never cool as a kid, but I knew what was considered cool.

I also understand why some older people think cars from the eighties look cool when I think they look ugly as fuck. I have a soft spot for cars from the nineties because those cars were what were cool back when I was a kid. But I know that generations after me probably see those cars the same way I see cars from the eighties.

One thing that's especially weird about this stuff is that when you're too old to know what's cool anymore, you realize how little it all matters. When you're younger, a lot of people try so hard to act like they don't care about trying to be cool, because acting like you're removed from the whole thing is cool in itself. But when you're old and everything has passed you by, you're actually removed from what's cool, except you don't give a fuck about it anymore anyway.

Last edited:

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I'm still trying to grasp the thought of being a father next year. Im trying to remember how it is now, cause I know it's going to get a lot different soon.
It's not so different, especially with one kid. Your priorities shift, but you don't lose so much time and brain space as to feel yourself changing as a person, see your relationships notably suffer etc. It's when you go beyond a single kid, to two or especially three, that life changes significantly.

One kid feels like a compliment to your family unit. Something that adds to your life and rarely sets you back in any meaningful way. More than one kid and things change dramatically, both with your everyday schedule and your relationships/recreational activities.

You'll be golden.

- signed, parent of 3 under 3

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019
Something about the arrogance of the young that never changes.

39 here and while technology and how we interact with the world has changed so much since I was kid, the thing that never does are the attitudes of younger people. Especially now that more and more people are staying with parents for significantly longer periods of their lives. It was one thing to be out on your own at 18, but people living with their parents into their late twenties? I'm not saying their is anything wrong with that, but many become stunted because of it.

I don't interact with too many teenagers and people in their 20s, but they are all children for the most part. Now more than ever. They don't realize that they are walking the same exact road that every generation before them has walked. I can probably count on one hand the number of young people who I would consider mature for their age or aware of who they really are. I was a child at 20. Despite being on my own by 25, I was still a child. I don't think most people reach a basic level of maturity until they are close to 30 or older.

I make a very conscious effort to take what people older than have to say. Not necessarily about specific things, but the general experience you gain with more time. They've been through these life stages and experience is the best teacher.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

I know what you mean, but I also remember when we thought that we were on the leading edge. Like we were the ultimate culmination of everything and were going to change the world. "It's the '80s, you can be whatever you want to be!"

And then last year I was back where I grew up and no shit, waved my arm across a bunch of condos and said, "I remember when all this was fields." They should've just taken me to the nearest covered porch and handed me a glass of lemonade to sip on.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
It's not so different, especially with one kid. Your priorities shift, but you don't lose so much time and brain space as to feel yourself changing as a person, see your relationships notably suffer etc. It's when you go beyond a single kid, to two or especially three, that life changes significantly.

One kid feels like a compliment to your family unit. Something that adds to your life and rarely sets you back in any meaningful way. More than one kid and things change dramatically, both with your everyday schedule and your relationships/recreational activities.

You'll be golden.

- signed, parent of 3 under 3

As a parent of three boys. This post.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
First thread I've read every post in a while. Nearing the 40 milestone, and I don't really feel much of this. I don't long for old tech at all, and always look forward to new stuff. Same with music, movies, and TV shows.

I'd say one of the things that do make me feel old are mostly knowledge based. Like if I want to reference Back to the Future or Simpsons or something, and realize people have no idea what the hell I'm talking about. Also I get strange joy from managing a budget and saving money. If anything, the only thing that makes me feel really old is seeing high school/college kids around and realizing how old I am in comparison.

Oct 25, 2017
First thread I've read every post in a while. Nearing the 40 milestone, and I don't really feel much of this. I don't long for old tech at all, and always look forward to new stuff. Same with music, movies, and TV shows.

I'd say one of the things that do make me feel old are mostly knowledge based. Like if I want to reference Back to the Future or Simpsons or something, and realize people have no idea what the hell I'm talking about. Also I get strange joy from managing a budget and saving money. If anything, the only thing that makes me feel really old is seeing high school/college kids around and realizing how old I am in comparison.

This sums up how I'm doing as well at 35. I do work in fashion which keeps me fresh in a lot of ways (keeping up with culture is 90% of my life, and the majority of my friends are 10 years younger, or 10 years older).

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've been thinking this for a while now. I just turned 29 a few days ago.

I don't think it's necessarily my physical age, but I feel like I've grown a lot personally over the last couple of years. My wants and needs are becoming less material. I'm weirdly in a good position in my life, and this year I've stopped thinking of myself as always struggling. I've actually started to enjoy myself and its weird how that suddenly gave me a giant perspective of my time here on earth