• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I live in Chicago and have been impressed by how good the people around me have been. Haven't heard anyone being dumb about masks, everyone wears them in stores, and people are antsy to get out of quarantine, but seem to get what's needed. Hoping that the protests don't contribute to a spike, but I think we would be starting to see cases go up if that's the case

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Numbers are low but I've noticed a big number of people assuming everything is over now, gatherings and ditching the masks. People are getting too comfortable and I think it's going to reflect in numbers, like other states are now reporting.

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago has been pretty great. All of the major parks and museums closed and closed early. Nearly 100% mask compliance indoors. Places that have opened for outdoor seating are making a point of keeping spread out. Many Chicago industries have been able to switch to WFH.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
One of the states Trump criticized lol.

He also praised Florida early on and they keep breaking daily records--in the reverse--more cases!

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
I work for a major university in Illinois that is days away from announcing we will be bringing 45,000 students back to campus and packing the dorms. We're also two weeks away from allowing indoor dining again.

This isn't going to last.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Muah :* xo

i'm doing my part.gif

Our work isn't done yet, but we're doing good! Let's keep it goin'.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Numbers are low but I've noticed a big number of people assuming everything is over now, gatherings and ditching the masks. People are getting too comfortable and I think it's going to reflect in numbers, like other states are now reporting.
Definitely a strong possibility unfortunately. It's why it's so important for leadership to stress that reopening is a process that will take place in many steps and emphasize that if things don't go well there is the potential to go backwards

OP
OP
Youngfossil

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
I havent seen anyone ditching mask. Maybe walking outside without one, but most people tend to past people 6ft apart and put on mask when indoors

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember the last time I went in a store and saw someone not wearing a mask (granted, I haven't been to many since March).

mernst23

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
We've only been partially reopen for like 2 weeks (less depending on when people felt comfortable with the protests), lets not go sucking each others dicks yet when gyms and indoor seating at restaurants are about to open up.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I work for a major university in Illinois that is days away from announcing we will be bringing 45,000 students back to campus and packing the dorms. We're also two weeks away from allowing indoor dining again.

Yep.

As great as the response has been, people are willing to ditch the restrictions when stories like this pop up because they think we can go back to normal. There is no normal to go back to until we have a vaccine.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Plenty of reckless dickheads in the suburbs but good on Chi-town for keeping things under control.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

UIUC is the only university in illinois with that type of student population, and as a grad student there I haven't heard anything to suggest we're not going to be focusing on remote classes in the fall semester, unless you're leaking policy that hasn't been officially announced yet

Edit: Nevermind, I actually must've missed that part but this does seem to be the case

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I havent seen anyone ditching mask. Maybe walking outside without one, but most people tend to past people 6ft apart and put on mask when indoors

North Shore area, and it is happening. At restaurants, picking up food, and especially people walking around downtown areas. It's especially troubling when I see people biking or running without masks, it's just really inconsiderate to other people using the trails and sidewalks.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Not surprised. Pritzker got out in front of the press and was open and frank about listening to the scientists and has been driving opening phases based on that data as well.

OP
OP
Youngfossil

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
North Shore area, and it is happening. At restaurants, picking up food, and especially people walking around downtown areas. It's especially troubling when I see people biking or running without masks, it's just really inconsiderate to other people using the trails and sidewalks.
Really? No one will let anyone in any shops around me with out a mask

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I would be very skeptical of numbers reported, especially from american politicians.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
It's been a long road for us to get to this point though, it felt like such a long time where we were seeing ~150 deaths every day. There were a few times where I'd look at projections thinking we already peaked and then the next day would set a new record high in deaths. That was stressful.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
UIUC is the only university in illinois with that type of student population, and as a grad student there I haven't heard anything to suggest we're not going to be focusing on remote classes in the fall semester, unless you're leaking policy that hasn't been officially announced yet

Edit: Nevermind, I actually must've missed that part but this does seem to be the case

Everything we are doing is to prepare for a full "on campus experience" in the Fall. While many classes will be conducted 'online', Administration is still moving towards having students on campus, including in the dorms.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any evidence at all that running or biking without a mask is dangerous to anybody around you?

We need to focus on actually dangerous activities and let people go on with very very safe activities like outdoors exercise without needless shaming.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
All Chicago businesses need to be aggressive in enforcing their rules. Continue to push: No Mask, no service

Trader Joe's has been doing an excellent job with taking this seriously (main place I've shopped over the past couple of months).

Oct 26, 2017
This is what I've been worried about. I'm in Central Illinois, and you'd think Covid was over the way some people act.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
again (strictly people ive interacted with.) dont think it's over. Maybe want it to be over

Well I've heard and seen the opposite. Friends on Instagram meeting up, I was just told by another Era user that lives in Chicago that he has friends hitting him up wanting to hang out and do shit. People still need to social distance regardless of things opening up again.

Has there been any evidence at all that running or biking without a mask is dangerous to anybody around you?

We need to focus on actually dangerous activities and let people go on with very very safe activities like outdoors exercise without needless shaking

Mask wearing for activities like that need to be normalized, there's still a stigma that you don't need a mask outside of businesses requiring it. I don't know if there's any concrete evidence, but if I'm going for a walk and there's someone running or biking past me without a mask and refusing to give a decent amount of space, it's incredibly inconsiderate of them. I'm doing my part to keep people safe, but we have leadership who still refuse to normalize the masks.

Wearing a mask when you're outside your house shouldn't be this monumental task for people. But some act like it's infringing on their rights and freedoms.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I missed more recent briefings on the matter. Seems dumb I agree.

Just one more thing - I couldn't leak anything if I wanted to. Faculty are just as in the dark as everyone else. Anything that's been communicated in emails to the faculty is also publicly available on the Massmail archive site. We have no idea what the specifics of the plan are and likely won't until the same time everyone else learns of it. There's plenty of faculty/staff over on Reddit trying to pass off educated guesses based on vague language in massmails as facts, but none of us know shit about the specifics. There are some *wild* rumors tho.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Work in the loop and live in the southwest burbs. Almost 100% masks indoors (moreso in the places I shop at home as opposed to the loop) but still seeing out door restaurant seating areas over crowded with unmasked people (oddly enough, moreso in the suburbs as opposed to downtown).

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
You occasional get the dumbfuck out in the subs, but stores are 95% masked. I think I may see one person without one everytime I go into Wal Mart

EDebs1916

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We've only been partially reopen for like 2 weeks (less depending on when people felt comfortable with the protests), lets not go sucking each others dicks yet when gyms and indoor seating at restaurants are about to open up.

Uh, Pritzker was mercilessly attacked by ignorant Rs and the local media for opening up too slowly. Opening up slowly WAS the right action in and of itself.

BrokenBox

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in So. IL and people are too relaxed at this point. Seeing friends taking group pictures while golfing, or going to pool parties and getting all the kids together. I don't think the progress (for the state as a whole) will last.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the suburbs(Oak Forest) but I know my company is taking it very seriously, as am I and most close friends and family. I still see a lot of people going into some places without masks, like gas stations. Also know some people who have been traveling to dangerous areas like FL for beach vacations.