• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zer0blivion

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Co-sponsored by Representatives Rashida Tlaib and John Lewis.

Full text of the resolution here: https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-resolution/496/text

Today, Representatives Ilhan Omar, John Lewis, and Rashida Tlaib introduced H.Res.496 which affirms the First Amendment right of all Americans to participate in boycotts in pursuit of civil and human rights at home and abroad, and that includes advocacy for Palestinian human rights.

The Resolution charts the long and proud history of boycotts in U.S., from the Boston Tea Party to opposing apartheid in South Africa, and includes the instrumental Civil Rights Era boycotts which were planned in part by Representative Lewis himself. It not only affirms our right to boycott, but also opposes efforts to limits the right to boycott and urges governments and civil rights leaders to oppose anti-boycott legislation.

Please contact your member of Congress to urge them to join Representatives Omar, Lewis, and Tlaib in standing up for our First Amendment-protected right to participate in boycotts.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
We're gonna need this for the climate crisis, as dark as that is to say.

Very good move.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
The laws against boycotting Israel are such BS. But I expect no support from the other Democrats on this since they fear being seen as anti Israel.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
This also protects conservatives right to destroy all their own Nike shoes live on Facebook when they hire women or whatever

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I have little faith this will get traction with most democrats, which is unfortunate.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
So obviously this isn't law. And it it was it wouldn't pass the senate. And if it did the president wouldn't sign it.

But assuming all of that, what would that do to anti BDS laws in several states? Would the federal law take precedent?

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
This will not pass the Senate, hell I'll be surprised if it passed the house. This country it's going to take some real cleaning up.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
The laws against boycotting Israel are such BS. But I expect no support from the other Democrats on this since they fear being seen as anti Israel.

Yeah, pretty much. We're just going to see more conflation of antisemitism with not agree with Israeli domestic policy.

This also protects conservatives right to destroy all their own Nike shoes live on Facebook when they hire women or whatever

That shit is hilarious. A burned shoe is a bought shoe. Plus, it just makes my kicks more valuable.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Good. This is exactly the sort of thing that the "antisemitic tropes" smear campaign was supposed to prevent her from doing, so I'm glad she isn't letting herself be cowed into complicity with Israeli apartheid.

Though I have to admit, I'm extremely surprised that Lewis is on this, even if the resolution doesn't specifically mention BDS. He's been very much aligned with the center-left Dem establishment for a while now.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Would this allow e.g. bakers to boycott gay people? It says in pursuit of civil rights but according to which metric is this determined?

OP
OP
zer0blivion

zer0blivion

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Why not challenge those in court then?
They are being challenged in court.

From the article I linked:
The American Civil Liberties Union has challenged the constitutionality of several states' laws as violations of freedom of expression. In Texas, it represents two university students who want to judge high school tournaments, a freelance writer and a reporter. These individuals were required to sign a certification that they are not engaged in boycotts of Israel or settlements or forgo opportunities and lose income.

US federal courts issued preliminary injunctions blocking the enforcement of anti-boycott laws in Kansas and Arizona following similar suits, leading legislators in both states to scale back their laws. An Arkansas federal court dismissed an analogous challenge to its similar law, which has been appealed. The Texas case remains pending.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand, is there an attempt to curtail this or something?
This is evidently directed at anti-BDS legislation, which has been passed by 27 states. BDS has also been officially condemned as an anti-Semitic movement by the governments of Ontario, France, and Germany among others, and was even rejected by Palestinian President Abbas (who instead supports a more-targeted economic boycott on goods produced in illegal Israeli settlements).

Still, given the absolutely sacrosanct nature we give our First Amendment those state laws are probably unconstitutional; if you can legally burn a cross or tell a Muslim congresswoman to "go back to her country" then I guess you should also be allowed to say that "Israel is an illegitimate apartheid state" or whatever. Hate speech enjoys a bizarre level of protection in this country.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
This is evidently directed at anti-BDS legislation, which has been passed by 27 states. BDS has also been officially condemned as an anti-Semitic movement by the governments of Ontario, France, and Germany among others, and was even rejected by Palestinian President Abbas (who instead supports a more-targeted economic boycott on goods produced in illegal Israeli settlements).

Still, given the absolutely sacrosanct nature we give our First Amendment those state laws are probably unconstitutional; if you can legally burn a cross or tell a Muslim congresswoman to "go back to her country" then I guess you should also be allowed to say that "Israel is an illegitimate apartheid state" or whatever. Hate speech enjoys a bizarre level of protection in this country.

Are you seriously saying that calling Israel an apartheid state is hate speech, or that "BDS is antisemitic" resolutions heavily lobbied for by Israel apologists with no concern for Palestinian humanity should be taken at face value?

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't see how saying "Israel is an illegitimate apartheid state" is hate speech. And yes that should be protected by the 1st Amendment

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Many states have anti-BDS laws on the books.

Human Rights Watch: US: States Use Anti-Boycott Laws to Punish Responsible Businesses
The more relevant question is what is the jurisprudence on this. If the laws are found to be legal than this doesn't do anything.

I don't see how saying "Israel is an illegitimate apartheid state" is hate speech. And yes that should be protected by the 1st Amendment
Careful, because that's not protected speech on Era.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
You'll find that this doesn't exist in American politics.

with very rare exceptions, you are depressingly correct. There's an absolutely incredible level of racist dehumanization of Palestinians just baked into the underlying assumptions around Israel/Palestine in American politics, to such a deep degree that liberal Zionists are almost completely liberated from having to consciously think about said racism. This is changing, but far too gradually, and the success of the "antisemitic tropes" smear campaign against Omar shows that far too many liberals are willing to believe the "Muslims irrationally hate Jews just because" trope.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The more relevant question is what is the jurisprudence on this. If the laws are found to be legal than this doesn't do anything.

Careful, because that's not protected speech on Era.
There is no legitimate legal basis to defend these laws considering what the 1st Amendment allows and protects. Also you've seen people get banned for thinking Israel is an apartheid state? That's bullshit.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Misrepresenting interactions with staff regarding policy decisions
Are you seriously saying that calling Israel an apartheid state is hate speech, or that "BDS is antisemitic" resolutions heavily lobbied for by Israel apologists with no concern for Palestinian humanity should be taken at face value?
I am seriously saying that BDS is a hate group, and that this site has long had a serious anti-Semitism problem. It took a lot of lobbying behind the scenes by myself and several Jewish members just to get the IHRA Definition of Anti-Semitism incorporated into the ResetEra Site Code of Conduct (and even then, we didn't manage to get the whole thing).

Condemning illegal settlements, illegal occupation of Palestinian territories, illegal blockades of Palestinian ports, illegal airstrikes and military action resulting in the deaths of Palestinian civilians, and all of the other atrocities committed by the Netanyahu government can be done without demonizing ordinary Israelis and denying Israel's right to exist.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I am seriously saying that BDS is a hate group, and that this site has long had a serious anti-Semitism problem. It took a lot of lobbying behind the scenes by myself and several Jewish members just to get the IHRC Definition of Anti-Semitism incorporated into the ResetEra Site Code of Conduct.

Condemning illegal settlements, illegal occupation of Palestinian territories, illegal blockades of Palestinian ports, illegal airstrikes and military action resulting in the death of Palestinian civilians, and all of the other atrocities committed by the Netanyahu government can be done without demonizing ordinary Israelis and denying Israel's right to exist.

good to know that you're an Israel apologist who shouldn't be taken seriously, thanks

though given that the IHRA definition contains several points which serve no conceivable purpose except to suppress criticism of Israel, that would explain a lot about the moderation here, if true

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am seriously saying that BDS is a hate group, and that this site has long had a serious anti-Semitism problem. It took a lot of lobbying behind the scenes by myself and several Jewish members just to get the IHRC Definition of Anti-Semitism incorporated into the ResetEra Site Code of Conduct.

Condemning illegal settlements, illegal occupation of Palestinian territories, illegal blockades of Palestinian ports, illegal airstrikes and military action resulting in the death of Palestinian civilians, and all of the other atrocities committed by the Netanyahu government can be done without demonizing ordinary Israelis and denying Israel's right to exist.
People are boycotting Israeli products because of the actions of the Israeli government, not out of hatred for ordinary Isreali citizens. Israel has a right to exist, but not as a state that oppresses its Arab minority and murders Palestinians.

Criticism of Israel is not anti-semetic. The fact that the Israeli government uses that as a cover for oppression and genocide is fucking disgusting given the history of the Jewish people.

Oct 25, 2017
Careful, because that's not protected speech on E
There is no legitimate legal basis to defend these laws considering what the 1st Amendment allows and protects. Also you've seen people get banned for thinking Israel is an apartheid state? That's bullshit.
For pointing out parallels between Israel and other authoritarian regimes including Nazi a Germany, yes.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Careful, because that's not protected speech on E

For pointing out parallels between Israel and other authoritarian regimes including Nazi a Germany, yes.
I've directly compared the Israeli government's actions to Nazi Germany here before and was not banned for it. Maybe I was lucky. If I do get banned for drawing that parallel (which I've also made the same comparison between China and Nazi Germany, and the US government and Nazi Germany) then I'm done with this forum. Israel doesn't get to use anti-semetism as a shield to deflect from their oppression of others.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I am seriously saying that BDS is a hate group, and that this site has long had a serious anti-Semitism problem. It took a lot of lobbying behind the scenes by myself and several Jewish members just to get the IHRA Definition of Anti-Semitism incorporated into the ResetEra Site Code of Conduct (and even then, we didn't manage to get the whole thing).

Condemning illegal settlements, illegal occupation of Palestinian territories, illegal blockades of Palestinian ports, illegal airstrikes and military action resulting in the deaths of Palestinian civilians, and all of the other atrocities committed by the Netanyahu government can be done without demonizing ordinary Israelis and denying Israel's right to exist.

Please explain how not buying Sodastream demonizes Jews and/or Israelis.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
good to know that you're an Israel apologist who shouldn't be taken seriously, thanks

though given that the IHRA definition contains several points which serve no conceivable purpose except to suppress criticism of Israel, that would explain a lot about the moderation here, if true
Yeah, my respect for the staff here has increased for not using that definition. Criticism of the Israeli Government and its actions, and wanting to do something about its injustices, is not anti-semitic (which the ToS already rightfully prohibits).

Oct 25, 2017
I've directly compared the Israeli government's actions to Nazi Germany here before and was not banned for it. Maybe I was lucky. If I do get banned for drawing that parallel (which I've also made the same comparison between China and Nazi Germany, and the US government and Nazi Germany) then I'm done with this forum. Israel doesn't get to use anti-semetism as a shield to deflect from their oppression of others.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How about the Magnitsky Act model? Target any businesses linked to members of the Israeli government, that way the government is directly pressured and independent business owners in Israel can continue to grow? Then it's not a boycott against a country, it's a boycott against a government.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
...you've got to be kidding me. I mean I've never directly called the Israeli government 'Nazis' because that seems kind of poor taste to me given the history, but like...its fascism based on the oppression of a specific race/religious group of people. Israel obviously has a right to exist, but as an equal society for all it's people, and the Palistinians deserve some form of recognition, rights, self-determination, and sovereignty.

Last edited: