• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
d2XY5te.png

CnGAlyN.png
Platform(s): Windows PC, Mac, PlayStation 4, Switch, Xbox One
Release Date: October 8th, 2020
Genre: RPG
Price: $19.99/€19,99
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital
Developer: Happy Ray Games
Publisher: Humble Games
Size: ~1GB

7KKnOoq.png

What is Ikenfell?
A turn-based tactical RPG about a group of troublesome magic students. Use timing mechanics to power your spells and block attacks, explore the twisted halls of a vast magic school, fight challenging monsters and bosses, and uncover dark secrets never meant to be found.

Turn based combat?
Yes, but you will also be pressing buttons at specific timing to amplify your attacks.

Difficulty options?
You can automate the above timing or activate an auto win option to appear in fights.

Random encounters?
No, you start combat by colliding with enemies on the map.

How long is the game?
Anywhere from 15 to 25 hours long.

Game Pass?
Yes, the game is part of Game Pass on both PC and Xbox One. If you are an active member of that service you can play Ikenfell for no extra cost.

Physical release?
"...not off the table"

qb6cmE1.png

ss_7ac5f94d644d5e0408a5acfc9872c88a29c7c0cb.600x338.jpg
ss_9f99e9391f334e6c24d15242fc540a6a195bc778.600x338.jpg

ss_8dc8b7a61091aebd82385364a0efd87d29a6b29d.600x338.jpg
ss_619c03930722c4850953c74132dbc37f4fd4ee86.600x338.jpg

ar1NUNj.png

Metacritic
Xbox One | PC | PS4 | Switch
Opencritic

noisy pixel 8/10
Ikenfell provides players a charming adventure with an engaging battle system that is both fun and engaging. Accompanying it is a superb soundtrack that immerses you in its silly bizarre world. While I didn't get fully invested in some of the characters, I still enjoyed unraveling the mystery. If you're looking for a cute tactical RPG that's accessible to new players but also provides some unique systems for genre lovers, you shouldn't have a problem with letting Ikenfell work its magic on you.

Slant 2.5/5
In theory, its intricacies should be bracing, but in practice the fixation on spacing and formation further slows down the pace.

Hardcore Gamer 4/5
Ikenfell likely won't replace the Harry Potter series as a whole when it comes to providing a signature web of tales centered around a magic school, but it still provides one impressive journey on its own. Filled with lovable characters, an enjoyable story, and a colorful world to explore filled with a nice level of challenge and a stunning soundtrack, there's a lot here for fantasy and RPG fans to check out. Heck, it may even be something to recommend to younger gamers as an introduction to the tactics subgenre. Overall, Ikenfell is a trip to a far-out school that's definitely worth taking.

73Q7sDV.png

Official Site

Last edited:

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
This game has been on my radar for so long! I'm glad there's on OT for it. Super pumped to buy it on Switch and hear the bumpin' soundtrack

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of the actual sprite work but everything else looks right up my alley and I'll get it as soon as I chip away some more at my backlog.

Also Queer Magic School is the best setting.

Also also: Y'all, OST composers did Steven Universe.

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
i saw this on the eshop yesterday while looking for the pikmin demo and my first thought was . . . it's interesting to see a game where a side character has a harem

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018
I've played for a bit over an hour, which got me to chapter 2. I find it really charming so far. The characters are interesting and I'm excited to learn more about the world. Also, I freaking love the music (just as I did in Steven Universe).

The only real complaint I have so far is that the first major boss was a huge difficulty spike. I think it would have been a lot easier with the heal spell, but it doesn't seem like there is a way to grind EXP, because enemies disappear after you beat them once. Perhaps it was just trying to teach me about how characters should be spaced out. Also, to be fair I didn't buy any healing items before the battle either.

I'm curious to see how things evolve when you have three or more characters who are able to do things. It looks like the system could get pretty wild. Overall I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I don't feel like making an OT, but after an hour this game seems extremely high quality.

Feels like the Mario and Luigi games combat system mixed with Harry Potter, great music and incredible art. I'm playing on Switch but it's on all the consoles and Steam as well

youtu.be

Ikenfell - Launch Trailer - Nintendo Switch

Ikenfell is available now on Nintendo Switch! https://nintendo.com/games/detail/ikenfell-switch/ This magical turn-based tactical RPG follows a group of trou...

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Yeah, I really liked the demo. Cool srpg/jrpg/M&L battle system and good spritework. If it can hold up in variety and combat for the entire game it could be a real good game.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't feel like making an OT, but after an hour this game seems extremely high quality.

Feels like the Mario and Luigi games combat system mixed with Harry Potter, great music and incredible art. I'm playing on Switch but it's on all the consoles and Steam as well

youtu.be

Ikenfell - Launch Trailer - Nintendo Switch

Ikenfell is available now on Nintendo Switch! https://nintendo.com/games/detail/ikenfell-switch/ This magical turn-based tactical RPG follows a group of trou...
There already is an ot!
www.resetera.com

ikenfell |OT| retro magic OT

Platform(s): Windows PC, Mac, PlayStation 4, Switch, Xbox One Release Date: October 8th, 2020 Genre: RPG Price: $19.99/€19,99 Player(s): 1 Format: Digital Developer: Happy Ray Games Publisher: Humble Games Size: ~1GB What is Ikenfell? Turn based combat? Yes, but you will also be pressing...

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
How's the split between combat and talking/plot? I'm more interested in the latter but by the trailers it looks like the game is much more combat-oriented?

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
There already is an ot!
www.resetera.com

ikenfell |OT| retro magic OT

Platform(s): Windows PC, Mac, PlayStation 4, Switch, Xbox One Release Date: October 8th, 2020 Genre: RPG Price: $19.99/€19,99 Player(s): 1 Format: Digital Developer: Happy Ray Games Publisher: Humble Games Size: ~1GB What is Ikenfell? Turn based combat? Yes, but you will also be pressing...

Whoops! Well, glad there's an OT

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is like 14 bucks if you are a Humble Monthly sub

DoctorDake

Development Director
Verified
Mar 28, 2018
Austin, TX
I hadn't even heard of this until I saw the OT. The trailer doesn't do it justice, since it doesn't really show you the combat properly. This is basically a mini-tactics game with Paper Mario style actions in combat. A perfect combo!

The music is insanely good. I'm only 30 minutes in and I am excited to play more.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Heads up this is 14 bucks on Humble Bundle if you're a Monthly sub.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
The soundtrack by Aivi and Surasshu is great, as you'd expect. Enjoying the game so far.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, came here to see if this was the rare kind of RPG that has timing based attacks akin to Mario RPGs and sure enough it is. I'll have to check it out in Game Pass.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
This 4.5/5 review from GameRant really has got me thinking I would like the game.
gamerant-com.cdn.ampproject.org

Ikenfell Review

Ikenfell is a masterclass in game design, boasting a unique synthesis of turn-based tactical RPG elements alongside its heartfelt narrative.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, I hadn't realized this game came out. I backed it this on Kickstarter, but missed the emails about it. Found my code now, though.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Played a couple hours last night. Cool little game. Seems to be doing a lot of the same things Wintermoor Tactics Club did. Hopefully the combat ends up being a bit deeper.

Nov 1, 2017
I just got a second party member and beat the boss afterward. Does the combat ever get much faster? Normal encounters are dragging. :/

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So far this is a bit combat heavier than I expected (or rather, sometimes it can take a little too long). I feel like Bug Fables nailed the balance between story/ character, exploration, and combat a bit better as far as games inspired by Mario RPG. I'm still only a couple hours in though.

Maso

Sep 6, 2018
There's an option to enable an Instant Victory battle menu option you can use to skip battles. I've been using it to skip the normal fodder enemies, but still do boss fights.
Same here. The regular encounters take way too long beyond checking out the new enemies for the first time. It's nice being able to get to the next boss fight without having to grind them out or be too underleveled. I'm glad they put that in as an option.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I've played about an hour so far (up to the second boss) and I enjoy the characters and setting a lot so far but, yeah, the regular fights just drag on too long. I hope they add an option to speed up the animations or something. I might turn on that Instant Victory option.

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA
Is anyone in chapter 6? I'm stuck at a section there, I'm sure it's because I'm overlooking or forgot something, but still would like to ask for help.

Figured it out, my dumbass drifting joycons gave me an issue with a puzzle lol

Last edited:

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I've been playing for a bit (I'm currently in Chapter 3) and I have to say I'm very surprised with the game. It's very charming, combat is fun and I'm really loving the characters so far.

Nov 3, 2017
The game is really good and entertaining, even if the difficulty on the first boss was something. Wasted all my healing items. I like the grapics and the music a lot.

There was a "christian gamer" who warned his "fellow christians" in the game discussions on steam that this game has an all-female cast, so buying it feels even better.

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've only played up to the first boss so far.

Thoughts:

- this is fun!
- I still feel annoyed that I backed it and then it came out on GamePass!
- I cannot for the life of me get the timings on attacks right consistently :(

That's... about it, so far.

Ser Ignatius

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2020
I'm about 4 hours in and having fun with it. I suck at the timing so I changed the options to semi-auto and now doing much better lol. Really fun game, glad I gave it a shot.

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
didnt see there was an OT for this, backed it on kickstarter and so far really proud to have, game is such a blast and the music is killer.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Really liking it thus far, soundtrack is gonna be one of the top of the year. Aivi and Surasshu done it again.

The combat pacing is slower than I would like though, it makes me want to avoid combat more than engage with it because individual battles take longer than I'd like and there aren't real builds that can speed things up.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
I love that key art.. can't say the same about the in game pixel art. Holding out for more impressions but a little disappointing to read in the reviews that narrative and characters aren't super engaging. Games like these live or die on the writing.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
After reaching the final boss and combing the whole map again for all the secret stuff I'm only missing one rare shard (which I consider basically lost, never gonna find it) and the location of
the location of the cursed mirror. Going by the image given by the wall spirit it must be a toilet but I'm pretty sure I've visited all of them, and once again after doing the secret cat boss that gives the trinket that identifies you as one of them. It's possibly in some super obvious place but I just can't figure it out. Anybody has done that part and can help?

Edit: nevermind, finally found it. Holy shit was it obtuse lmao

Edit 2: in case somebody needs that info, since this OT seems to be slow:

It's a toilet in Spirit Oval, top floor. The one that has a secret passage that goes inside one of the stalls. The same passage diverts right to the location of this boss

Last edited:

Kitty Paws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 21, 2019
I bought this game on a whim 'cause I'm on a pixel indie games spree and what a wonderful surprise it is! I'm having a blast with it. Love the combat system, the cute setting and the cast, they even included non-binary characters!!

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In chapter 2 at the moment. I full on had to put the battle system on entirely auto in the end, I just cannot get any of the button timings right.

Still enjoying it!

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Playing on Game Pass. My save says I've put in about 40 hours? (Wow.. what..). This game is way longer than I expected haha. I am nearing the end, but I came to post after my second hard crash after winning a battle. I'm really enjoying this game so far. The characters are interesting, the plot is serviceable, the combat is engaging enough. Really dig the overall atmosphere of the game and locations.

I do think there's a bit too much fluff in between parts of this game. A bit too much combat for my liking, some mechanics don't end up mattering that much. What was the gem merchant even for? If her items didn't require losing out on guaranteed buffs/stat increases, I might have used them. As a result, it didn't feel as exciting to discover those gems. Eh. I felt the same about some of the items you could buy from merchants, though...

Though, it's likely that's largely because I turned on full auto combat, which automatically makes the timing for everything (attacks, defenses, even clutch "great"). I did find that learning all of these new attacks was kinda cool, but quickly wore out its welcome over the hours. The timing windows are pretty tight. Even with my most basic attacks, I'd be missing max damage 1/4 of the time. Which was a bit annoying when the fights already felt kind of long. It's only at the end when you very quickly spike up in power when I've felt like combat is quick and snappy enough to move on (and that's likely only because I have also increased my mobility and have characters with lots more damage at range).

Generally, though, really enjoying this. Glad I gave it a try on Game Pass. It's quite a lot of game. I'm curious where the end of the story goes, and although I don't think the twists are anything mindblowing, I think they've done a fairly decent job of connecting everything and everyone together to feel real.

So... Definitely worth playing. If you're just in this for the story (which is I think a valid way to experience this game), don't be ashamed to just instant victory through the parts of the game you don't care as much about. You still level up the same and get the items. So you can also do a mix like I have, where I fight most battles (and I actively seek them out most of the time, because I don't like the enemies roaming around), but will use instant victory once I get tired or bored and just want to get to the next boss or story bit.

How's the split between combat and talking/plot? I'm more interested in the latter but by the trailers it looks like the game is much more combat-oriented?
Look in the options to change it to auto, if you get tired of the combat. There's a lot of it and it can get samey after a while. Also, I enabled instant victory. I only used it on the fodder, so I could clear the maps with a bit less tedium. And also used it twice after the game crashed to home (both after winning random fights. One that reset about ~40 minutes of progress and puzzle solving in one of the later areas - the Stacks).

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Finished it (at least the main quest). Loved it. A little disappointed with the way the characters were handled at the end. Not in like a representation way, but just in like the "explain character motivations and show us character epilogue vignettes" at the climax and after the end.

I really think they dropped the ball with Safina. She was a McGuffin the entire game, with nothing to show for it, except "Yea, I guess I was shitty huh? I was right about everything, but.. like... yea. She was still asleep for the climax!! Why!! At least have her have some revelation that helps the party take back control from her and then gain their own initiative and purpose, rather than having her be limp and unresponsive and then weakly react to the aftermath after.

(In my totally impossible and probably worse version, I would have made it a weird parallel universe thing where Safina and Maritte are the same person. No one's ever seen them in the same place at the same time. Maritte goes around solving all of Safina's problems and getting Safina's friends to like her too. And then you realize that they were the same person and Maritte was just a defense mechanism because Safina couldn't bear to give up her ambitions, but also realized she was hurting the people she loved. And because they're like two sides of the same coin, when she resolves her inner turmoil, she regains her magic and becomes the final key to unlocking and freeing the sapling, which Safina could only partially do before. But anyway, I know nothing.)

Not only did she not have an arc, she didn't have any meaningful resolution with 2/3 of the characters (all of whom were intimately shaped by her involvement in their lives). And even the "resolutions" that she had were either cursory or literally off-screened. And her epilogue was just "and she was nicer" (but probably not any happier in her life).

Ok that whole unnecessary rant aside, great game. The music, as mentioned, is really great. Especially the theme songs for some of the characters (not sure why all the characters get themes? But.. probably budget?). These two were so good (not sure why Martin Luther gets name dropped so many times, but I'm cool with it).