• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
TIL, I never understood why it was racist at all but thanks for the link. It sucks that a symbol as good as that got turned into a racist symbol. I also don't get the fried chicken thing either, I've never met a single person who eats meat who doesn't like fried chicken.
Exactly, racists will just treat everything about a minority with BEC lenses. If a black person succeeds, it's WRONG.

Racist hate has no limits. It's not based in logic so why would any of its reasoning?

Nov 9, 2017
Good soul food can never be a bad thing. This has obvious racist intent though with the fried chicken/watermelon intro.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
w4ZRUXD.jpg
Dude just wanted an excuse to expense some damn good food.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
www.theatlantic.com

How Watermelons Became a Racist Trope

Before its subversion in the Jim Crow era, the fruit symbolized black self-sufficiency.

Honestly watermelons should make a comeback as a real celebration for Juneteenth specifically. Take it back from the hateful usage of the stereotype. It represented black independence before racists had to flip it and turn it into a negative thing.

But I get that it's totally racist today. I just always remember this article when I once asked myself "why are watermelons racist?"
As a white southerner, I was confused when I first became aware of these foods being used as a racist derogatory stereotype, too. I just associated watermelon and fried chicken as church picnic/backyard party summer food, not as a black or white thing. Maybe that is because my church was pretty integrated, though. Anyway, I also wish those things could be taken back from the haters, if it's possible.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All this time, I thought I just liked fried chicken because it was delicious. Turns out... I'm genetically predisposed... to liking chicken!

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
White folk: [insert discriminated ethnicity here] people have finally been publicly recognised by our government and we can now forgot the on-going issues and celebrate by eating [insert ethnic food here]

The fuck?? Love how white folk have the privilege and convenience to have all their problems solved so quickly and easily that they believe it applies to everyone else.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
User Banned (Permanent): Excusing Racism over a Series of Posts; Prior Related Bans for Dismissive Commentary
I was waiting for this. The days after Juneteenth will be an annual tradition of racists getting fired for dumbass shit like this.
Nah, no ones going to be fired. This seems to be an unintentionally racist and insulting outcome stemming from a lack of diversity or insight, not intentionally malicious.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
This is one of those moments where people want to show they're not racists, but fail miserably by showing they're actually racists.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I tried to find the perfect gif to show how wide my eyes went at that headline, but none are doing it justice.

What the absolute fuck?

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
OP's Avatar perfectly matches my expression right now.

Corporations continuing fall over themselves to do stupid ass shit because they won't take a fucking nanosecond TALK with marginalized people and groups. They just want to paint rainbows over their logos and call it a day, not actually do any work.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did they also hire a rap car to make a lot of noise and do laps of the parking lot?

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
TBH, you don't need to be black to know not to do that.

I mean seriously, how dumb do you have to be to not see why this is racist.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
I bet that potato salad would of had raisins and spiced nuts in it and no seasonings

but, in all seriousness, of course. They might as well have served "jigaboo juice" with it to top off the racism

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
As a Polish person, I have never heard of this stereotype. It made me read a bit about soul food. What is a rather interesting coincidence is that other stereotypical dishes, that is Chitterlings and ham-hock are traditional Polish dishes.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, no ones going to be fired. This seems to be an unintentionally racist and insulting outcome stemming from a lack of diversity or insight, not intentionally malicious.
They could've intentionally talked to one of their black employees in the branch first perhaps? Just a thought.

Exilexc

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Might as well put "purple drink" on the menu too. I can't lie this is ridiculous but made me laugh.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
Hope y'all realize that this kind of bullshit is about to be the norm now that it's a federal holiday. Get ready for that Juneteenth Mattress Sale! Or the "seasonal holiday" aisle at CVS or Morning Tuesday filled with Juneteenth-branded items are 50% off after the holiday has passed.

Oct 30, 2017
You always kinda know that there are people just living in a totally different world where they are oblivious to basic shit you shouldn't do. Extremely on the nose and stupid racist shit like this is generally baffling to most (probably?).

But damn. Then you're reminded that these oblivious idiots are in positions of power at companies and in government and it feels so much worse.
Coupled with a reminder that upper management at companies lacks diversity, and then you're not surprised at these outcomes.

Jun 10, 2018
Stories like this always remind me of the Dave Chappelle quote where you see something so racist you're not even mad you just call it like it is.