• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Just a headsup, if you get the Index right now it'll take like 2 months (maybe less who knows) for it to ship, as they're having a massive supply problem, with the corona and all.
I wouldn't mind waiting. THe big problem is taht these headsets cost so much that i can't afford to "blind" purchase them. I just want to make sure that i'm buying a product that i'll like and not regret buying another one.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So damn excited for this game. I took 2 days off of work just to play this. It's going to be thrilling to have headcrabs and ant lions jumping at you. I hope we see Ravenholm again, what a treat that would be in Source 2 VR. I loved its spooky atmosphere. These next 2 weeks are going to the most painful since HL2's countdown to launch.

Also, bought a new video and a Valve Index specifically for this game. Should tell you how amazing Half-Life is if it can make you do that lol.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I wouldn't mind waiting. THe big problem is taht these headsets cost so much that i can't afford to "blind" purchase them. I just want to make sure that i'm buying a product that i'll like and not regret buying another one.

Vive pro or Index will be your high end. Can go low end (still good, just minor things that make it worst.) Oculus Quest with a tether to allow PC play. The only thing that makes the Quest worst is the inside out tracking. Gives it some blind spots, but you can get around those.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
They'll hold their value right now if you end up not digging them.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days) - trolling and conspiracy theories over a series of posts
Looks like those cheques cleared. 😂 *facepalm*

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Vive pro or Index will be your high end. Can go low end (still good, just minor things that make it worst.) Oculus Quest with a tether to allow PC play. The only thing that makes the Quest worst is the inside out tracking. Gives it some blind spots, but you can get around those.

Quest is also half the refresh rate and has compression artifacting. I think the Rift S is still your best bet for PC-only play for a value option due to the better IQ and slightly higher framerate (which helps with motion sickness) for a lower cost than Quest + Cable.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
If this doesn't make vr a viable business, nothing more will.
Depends on your timeframe. It certainly won't make it a AAA goldmine in the next couple of years. The mass adoption of a new technology medium takes a lot longer than that. They work on 10-20 year timescales, of which VR is only over 4 years in.

VisiCalc was the first killer app for PCs and yet it took almost another decade before they became a much bigger market, even longer before true mass adoption.

Space Invaders was gaming's first killer app, but it still took 3 years after that for Nintendo to jump in.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like one of those games that you must play, shame I don't have VR and my PC sucks.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I already have a Quest but I also grabbed an Index for this. I was noticing too much compression with Link, even though it is still very good. I want to see Alyx in the best way possible.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I want to play this game very badly but I always end up selling any VR hardware I buy because they are just lacking. PSVR had horrible controls, base PS4 really holding it back, and it had low resolution but it was comfortable to wear. The original Rift had annoying setup with flaky USB sensors that slept or reverted to USB 2.0 mode, low resolution/low FOV, and wasnt that comfortable. The wires were especially annoying for both headsets. The Oculus Quest was almost a revelation in being wireless, but the headset was not very comfortable and the weak cpu/gpu chipset is really holding it back with a low refresh rate. I could look past all that if it had better wireless connectivity so it could talk to my pc with low latency, maybe Wifi6 will do that in Quest 2.0? I ended up selling my Quest for a profit right before Christmas at least. I just wish Quest 2.0 with better wireless and a higher refresh rate was right around the corner but it could be 2 years. If Quest 2.0 is 2-3 years off, I'd love a Pro version that was just a slightly better CPU/GPU and much improved wifi for pc streaming (get rid of 128gb model and have $400 64gb Quest and $600 Pro version) .

Valve Index may be what I'm looking for but it is out of stock and too high of price. Plus I'm not sure I really want another wired headset.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
This looks absolutely amazing but I'm still not sold on buying an expensive vr set. Maybe I'll play this some day but for now I'll have to abstain.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait, my Vive with Knuckles and Wireless Adapter is ready.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The gameplay videos have gotten me so psyched for this game.

Still can't believe that I buckled down and got myself a freakin Index VR set. I hope it's worth the $1000 price.

Based on what I'm seeing, I get the feeling it will be.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really trust Ryan McCaffrey. He is like, the world's biggest Elon Musk stan and blocks people who bring up the anti-union stuff. Not the game's fault, but I'd trust it coming from a hundred other people in the industry before RM.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Been replaying HL2 and the episodes, what an absolute masterpiece of game design and pacing. It's insane how those games keep the intensity up and the variety of every single encounter is surprising. It really is the RE4 of FPSs. If this game can keep even half of that spirit alive of constantly doing crazy new things every few minutes we are in for a masterpiece.

Meech

Oct 29, 2017
I can't believe a new full Half-Life game is coming out this month. I can't wait to play this. Looks and sounds like everything I wanted Valve to do ever since the Vive was announced back in the day.