• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

www.ign.com

Half-Life: Alyx – We Played the First 4 Hours – IGN First - IGN

The day that never comes is finally here.

From my interviews with the team, a number of veterans of both Half-Life 2 and the original 1998 game are still at the studio and worked on the franchise's VR debut, but they've also been aided by the recently acquired team at Campo Santo, makers of one of the best-written games of the past decade: Firewatch.

Headcrabs leap at your virtual face (you have to pull them off with your hand if they latch on), while Combine soldiers are extremely intimidating when standing right in front of you looking like a very chiseled 6'2"/220lbs.

The result, thus far, is that Half-Life: Alyx is every bit the masterpiece its predecessors were, albeit in a new medium we've not seen utilized this spectacularly before. It is the antidote to the open-world, procedurally generated busywork that's become rampant in many other contemporary first-person shooters. Every moment seems to have been painstakingly hand-crafted. Every scene serves a purpose. The pacing is more deliberate. In short, Valve wants you to be in City 17, and you'll want to be there too, Headcrabs and all.
Just in case, this game features a range of locomotion systems and all SteamVR headsets.

a3YQjUJ.png

Last edited:

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Does this game use a lot of the finger specific actions? Just asking because I'm wondering how it will play on a Vive with its controllers versus Index. Like, would I be missing out on a ton of cool stuff?

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I think this is just a dipping the toe

if this game is succubus they will announce HL3 right away

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
for the sake of my fantasy league score, i hope the game does extremely well review-wise. i'm optimistic.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From my interviews with the team, a number of veterans of both Half-Life 2 and the original 1998 game are still at the studio and worked on the franchise's VR debut, but they've also been aided by the recently acquired team at Campo Santo, makers of one of the best-written games of the past decade: Firewatch.

Headcrabs leap at your virtual face (you have to pull them off with your hand if they latch on), while Combine soldiers are extremely intimidating when standing right in front of you looking like a very chiseled 6'2"/220lbs.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I'm so glad there's no new footage here. I wanted to hear just some thoughts and that's what I got. I don't know if I want to see any new gameplay between now and the release.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does this game use a lot of the finger specific actions? Just asking because I'm wondering how it will play on a Vive with its controllers versus Index. Like, would I be missing out on a ton of cool stuff?

You should be fine, it's been shown the game is playable with a lot of different headsets and configurations.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I've never been too interested in VR, but those gameplay vids of this game looked awesome. Really hope this does well.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Shocked that IGN is hyping up a game which is covered in IGN First.

(not saying it won't be a great game tho)

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Really frustrating this isn't on psvr but at the same time it only recreates my feeling of when half life 2 came out and I couldn't play it for years.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
You don't put the Half Life name on just anything. This was expected.

Valve stays winning.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
We've only seen the same 3-4 areas for this game. If its really a 15ish hour game, I can only imagine what other crazy things Valve is going to throw at us

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
My husband just impulse bought an Index, so it's at least reassuring that he should be in for a good time.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Said all along, It is going to be groundbreaking in many ways. And the standard bearer for future VR games. Half-Life is back!

2020 and we get a new Half-Life game in Virtual reality. Would never be the same if it was just for the panel. Were treading new waters now boys. Can't wait to be IN City 17.

xpownz

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 13, 2020
There goes Valve defining videogame market once again.
Half Life should be nominated the best gaming franchise ever made.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
This game looks so so good!
I'm thinking of saving to buy a VR headset. Is there a PC VR headset thread?
I'm thinking of going for index since it seems to be so much better then the rest but due to the price maybe its better to buy a cheaper one now then upgrade sooner?

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I'm thinking of going for index since it seems to be so much better then the rest but due to the price maybe its better to buy a cheaper one now then upgrade sooner?

www.resetera.com

PCVR Game Discussion Thread - A New Era of Gaming

For hardware / setup related questions or discussion, please use the SteamVR Hardware thread or the Oculus thread. This is a thread for PCVR users to discuss VR games available on all the compatible platforms (Steam/Oculus/Windows). In the previous incarnation of the thread I tried making a...

Oct 27, 2017
God I wish I could play this. But buy in to VR on PC is just too expensive. I'll have to 'lets play' it instead and that makes me sad.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just a headsup, if you get the Index right now it'll take like 2 months (maybe less who knows) for it to ship, as they're having a massive supply problem, with the corona and all.

shtolky

Oct 27, 2017
Bought a beefy PC and an Index in December just after the announcement. Pretty sure no other franchise would cause me to do that. Can't wait for the 23rd.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
Would love to play this game since Half-Life is one of my favorites, but I sold my launch day Oculus almost a year ago.
I'm thinking about the Index for sure, but it won't be for a while due to costs.